PDA

View Full Version : Bittersweet season approaching...

ouwasp
8/21/2013, 10:14 PM
My 75 yr old father-in-law was diagnosed with lung cancer last month. Last Friday we learned tumors were found in his brain; he's been given 3-6 months.

He's always been a Sooner fan, never misses a game on TV. Only been to one game at Norman, I took him to a Colorado game back in the early 90's.

In about 10 days Leo will begin his last season. I hope it's a good one...

MyT Oklahoma
8/21/2013, 10:21 PM
So sorry to hear this. I hope that he gets to see as much as he can but more than that, say his goodbyes to family and friends before the end.

Please take care and God be with you.

Piware
8/21/2013, 10:33 PM
I feel your pain OUWasp. My sweet son-in-law died on Christmas Day. He really wanted to see the Sooners play Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl but didn't quite make it. We all watched the game together and it was a surreal experience. I can hardly stand to watch that bowl game to this day.

olevetonahill
8/21/2013, 10:56 PM
So sad bro, But Dont give up. A friend who is a Poster here and at the hide out was told he wouldnt make it thru Last season. Hes still here and Lookin forward to THIS season
The spirit is very strong in some folk

stoopified
8/22/2013, 07:49 AM
My 75 yr old father-in-law was diagnosed with lung cancer last month. Last Friday we learned tumors were found in his brain; he's been given 3-6 months.

He's always been a Sooner fan, never misses a game on TV. Only been to one game at Norman, I took him to a Colorado game back in the early 90's.

In about 10 days Leo will begin his last season. I hope it's a good one...From your lips to God's ear.Prayers to Leo and your family.

Boomer.....
8/22/2013, 08:05 AM
Sad. Sorry to hear this.

Mac94
8/22/2013, 09:08 AM
Thoughts and prayers ... and enjoy every moment no matter what. Remember when my dad died in 2004 ... got back home from the funeral in Tulsa minutes before the OU vs Houston game .... turned the game on and cried during the whole thing. Went to the A&M-OU game with my Aggie cap and shorts and a 2000 National Championship Sooner shirt ... so bitter sweet.

KantoSooner
8/22/2013, 09:33 AM
My grandfather watched the TCU game last year, finished his martini, climbed into bed and never got out. Died two weeks later. Cherish this season Wasp and I wish him the pleasure of family and friends for however long he's got left.

cherokeebrewer
8/22/2013, 09:38 AM
Sorry to hear this sad news

stoops the eternal pimp
8/22/2013, 09:58 AM
Sorry for what he is going through..However long he remains with you, make the most of it.

ouwasp
8/22/2013, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the thoughts, prayers, and support. We've been blessed to live in the same town as my in-laws, so we see them quite often. If this were a long-distance thing, it would be that much tougher. I just hope Direct TV comes through with the PPV; we already have a big watch party planned with the whole family there.

soonersweetie
8/22/2013, 07:07 PM
My thoughts and prayers with you as well. As has already been said, cherish every moment, no matter the outcome of the game. The doc may say 3-6 months, but I know of a higher power who makes that decision. May you have many more blessed years with him.

8timechamps
8/22/2013, 07:30 PM
Sad news, but I echo what has been said. It's never over 'til it's over. Thoughts and prayers coming your way.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

My grandfather watched the TCU game last year, finished his martini, climbed into bed and never got out. Died two weeks later. Cherish this season Wasp and I wish him the pleasure of family and friends for however long he's got left.

Hopefully, the final two weeks were good, otherwise I can't think of a better way to leave this world. I hope to be so lucky.

Peeb
8/22/2013, 10:50 PM
Lost my Dad to cancer 14 years ago.

There will be good days to come, and rough days to come- it's a roller-coaster with cancer.

Make the most of the good days.

Prayers to you and yours.

Soonerjeepman
8/23/2013, 08:22 AM
Wasp... sorry to hear. As we all get older things become a lot clearer. My dad is mid 70's still decent health, but someday....I think of my son (18) and think of the time when he and I will be where my dad and I are at. Life is circle....sucks to be on the top of it though~ prayers for you and your pops.

ouwasp
8/23/2013, 11:53 AM
I can't say enough how much your kind posts mean to me. I'm at that point in life (50) where these sorts of things are part of it, but my parents are still here. Last night my wife and I rode our bikes over to see the in-laws. Leo and I talked about Knight being the new qb, he was kinda surprised about that, like many of us were. He's looking fwd to the ULM game, that's for sure.

My wife has started a sweet, ongoing gesture. She has thought of different, rather mundane fatherly events from the past that she is now grateful for. Like taking her to the library when she was a kid, or teaching her how to drive a standard. She writes little thank you cards and sends them to him in the mail. I just got back from dropping one off at the post office. Gives Leo something to smile about.

PLaw
8/24/2013, 07:47 AM
Wasp - prayers up. Cherish each day and especially each game day.

My dad turned 85 this year. He is in the advanced stages of dementia and Monday we have an appointment for the cat-scan results checking for lung cancer.

Several years ago, dad said that he really wanted to see another OU National Championship before he passes. I pray that your father in-law and my dad share that experience this year.

BOOMER!!

King Crimson
8/24/2013, 11:31 AM
i'm sorry to hear that. my grandfather passed in 99. made the landrun as a kid. a real Oklahoman. his sent both his sons to OU. one played for the Sooners. after the Blake years i would have loved for him to see the renewed Sooners in 99 and the National Champs in 00.

enjoy the season my friend.

Soonerjeepman
8/24/2013, 01:18 PM
Wasp...my apologies, it's your pop-in-law....that's even cooler. That you two have a great relationship. Unfortunately I got divorced, but there never was that bond for the FIL. Nice guy, but we just didn't have much in common. Now the GF, if her dad was alive I think it'd be a great relationship...

Again, prayers..

soonerloyal
9/5/2013, 07:01 AM
I send you much love & much strength for the fight. Enjoy every moment but don't waste time in worry. Docs can be wrong, and in this they love being that way. Here's prayers for y'all that he laughs in their faces and is around for at least another quarter of a century. If your Sooner Family can do anything let us know, dear. :positive:

vtsooner21
9/5/2013, 07:13 AM
The truly encouraging message that I've read over and over in posts here is that we all treasure what time we have with our loved ones. Reminds me of the verse- "To live on in hearts we leave behind is to never have passed." God Bless.
Boomer

ouwasp
9/6/2013, 01:10 AM
Just wanted to let you good folks know...we had a very enjoyable evening last Saturday night, gathered around the flat screen watching OU with Leo. He is a very good-natured man, always has been. Leo doesn't have a lot to say anymore because of a profound hearing loss, but he enjoys the company of his family.

Like most all other Sooner fans, he was impressed/surprised with OU's defensive effort. He hopes they keep it up this week. He laughed and shook his head at Ross' bonehead move, and got a kick out of seeing Stoops light into him.

Leo started losing his hair this week, due to his treatments. His oncologist has referred him back to his GP since there's not much more she can do for him, treatment-wise. But he did have a good day today.

Thank you for your continued prayers, friends.

stoopified
9/6/2013, 09:57 PM
A PERSON'S MORALE PLAYS A BIG PART IN THE BODY'S ACILTY TO FIGHT DISEASE, HOPEFULLY OU CONTINUES TO BOLSTER LEO'S SPIRIT.

Soonerwake
9/6/2013, 10:16 PM
Thank you very much for sharing. It's stories like these that make us all remember what is really important. A touchdown or a fumble don't really make that much difference when we are in tune with the true parts of life.

Please keep us posted. Prayers for your family...

Jim

ouwasp
9/11/2013, 09:19 PM
Just returned from a visit with Leo. He looked and acted a lot better than he did a couple nights ago. He has lost a great deal of hair in the last two weeks...

But the highlight of the night... I asked him a prediction for Saturday's game. He asked who OU was playing. I told him Tulsa. Leo just shrugged and waved his hand dismissively..."OU will wipe the field with 'em!"

olevetonahill
9/11/2013, 09:22 PM
Just returned from a visit with Leo. He looked and acted a lot better than he did a couple nights ago. He has lost a great deal of hair in the last two weeks...

But the highlight of the night... I asked him a prediction for Saturday's game. He asked who OU was playing. I told him Tulsa. Leo just shrugged and waved his hand dismissively..."OU will wipe the field with 'em!"

Heh,

ouwasp
9/18/2013, 12:38 AM
About the time OU-Tulsa was kicking off, Leo was being loaded into an ambulance. He had weakened markedly over the previous day, and had gotten to the point where he couldn't get out of bed...

Things have degenerated further over the last several days. But this evening Leo was brought home, to spend his last days at home, under hospice care. My son is a CNA, and tonight he went over to help with his Papa Leo. How quickly things change in 20 short yrs.

But listen to this, friends. Monday evening we went to visit him in the hospital. Leo was incoherent, very restless, making random noises. About every minute or so, he'd say "Pain pills!". After awhile, I went to the waiting room, just to let him be with his wife and children.

I returned about 45 minutes later. Now Leo was exclaiming "I'm dying!" every little bit. His wife was patting his hand, assuring Leo he was still with us. When I came up to the side of the bed, suddenly his eyes focused, and he looked at me and said "I'm saved! Saved!"

A couple weeks ago I'd written him a letter, which my wife stuck into one of those thank-you cards she'd been sending him. As tenderly as I could, I explained the plan of salvation, as outlined in the book of Romans.

Now Leo was telling me had had accepted Christ, many yrs ago, as a young man. This was explained in staccato gasps of breath. He told me to tell my Dad, who had also been concerned over Leo's spiritual condition.

Quickly, Leo returned to his rambling restlessness. Medication soon allowed him to doze. His time on Earth isn't long. I'm a little wistful that he won't get to enjoy this last football season. But he has better things in store for him. Much better.

Thank you once again for your prayers and PMs. Please continue to lift my wife and in-laws up.

Boomer!

soonergirlNeugene
9/18/2013, 01:30 AM
FWIW, my best friend was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor 11 years ago and he's still trucking along. Doctors don't get to turn us over and check for an expiration date after all. We should all live each day like its our last. For the meantime, I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Edit: I just saw where you posted the info regarding his gasping, strange reactions, etc. My friend goes through that from time to time - it is always tied to stress with him. If he has a lot of things weighing hard on him, he has these episodes where he blacks out, but is still standing or even holding my hand. I can tell what is happening because he starts gasping in pain. For him, these episodes are always accompanied by flashbacks and he says there is a flash of pain associated with them, but it passes after a bit. Again, he has been going through this for several years. Don't lose hope. I'm glad to hear that he is at home, hopefully that will help him to relax. Try to keep things light and positive. Sometimes that is the hardest thing to do when seeing a loved one suffer. But try and take heart in the fact that in doing so, you are shouldering some of his burden.

Wishing the best for you and your family.

Salt City Sooner
9/18/2013, 01:59 AM
Doctors don't get to turn us over and check for an expiration date after all.
I can personally vouch for this. I won't bore you with the details, but when I was born, the doctors told my folks 3 things:

1. He won't see his 6th birthday
2. If he does happen to make it that far, he'll be a vegetable.
3. He'll be a midget.

Well, I'm 5'10", not Wilt Chamberlain height by any means, but I think I surpassed midget status.

My wife might argue against this sometimes, but I like to think I'm at least a half step above a vegetable.

Oh, & that 6th birthday thing? All I can say on that one is that 3 weeks ago me & the mrs. celebrated the anniversary of them missing on that one by 40 years.

Sometimes they miss. Hang in there Wasp, & Godspeed to Leo.

ouwasp
9/20/2013, 04:41 PM
Well, Leo passed away today. The hospice nurse told us the Wednesday that he was "actively dying", he would probably live another 2-4 days. She knew what she was talking about.

We're okay. I am glad my wife and her mom, brother, and sister were with Leo when he passed. The tough thing was hearing her voice on the phone. I left work and went to give her a hug right away.

Mother-in-law asked if I would conduct the services next Tuesday. I would be honored to do so. This morning I was working on the rough draft of what I might say. By lunchtime I was done. I was thinking if they wanted to do something short by the graveside, I'd read a short passage from John 14. Believe it or not, I was reading John 14:2 when the phone rang... In my Father's house are many mansions, if it were not so I would have told you...

Thanks for bearing this burden with me, friends.

cvsooner
9/20/2013, 06:12 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.

SoonerOX
9/20/2013, 07:01 PM
Please accept my condolences wasp, sounds like we lost a good man.

olevetonahill
9/20/2013, 07:22 PM
RIP Leo. Boomer

sooner46
9/20/2013, 08:57 PM
I am sorry to hear that, may GOD be with you and your family thru this time.

MyT Oklahoma
9/20/2013, 08:58 PM
Sorry to hear this. Thank you for sharing everything with us and may God be with you and your wife's family in the days to come.

Rest In Peace Leo.

dwarthog
9/21/2013, 07:43 AM
My condolences on you and your families loss. Rest in Peace Leo

PLaw
9/21/2013, 07:54 AM
Prayers up! Wasp, sharing your faith and God's free gift is encouraging to all. Leo is in a better place, pain free, and smiling down on his family and the Sooners.

Boomer

Piware
9/21/2013, 12:24 PM
So sorry for your family's loss Wasp. Trust me, he will see the rest of the season and will have a better seat than the luxury suites. Hope he is sitting with Bud, Benny and our Sooners who left us far too soon. Sincere condolences to you all.

hawaii 5-0
9/21/2013, 12:33 PM
Sorry for your loss Wasp. Leo is in a better place.

He got to leave this World at home surrounded by family. A good way to go.

5-0

panhandlesooner
9/21/2013, 12:36 PM
RIP Leo! Boomer Sooner!!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/21/2013, 01:05 PM
Very sorry for your loss. Sounds as though you thought a lot of him. God Bless.

ouwasp
9/21/2013, 01:42 PM
Yes, RLIMC, I did (do) think a lot of the whole family. I'm more fortunate than most I suppose. My parents and the in-laws live about a block apart, and have always gotten along famously. I hope my wife and I can be as positive an example of in-laws as we have been able to enjoy.

Once again, your support and comments have been more than appreciated. When I began this thread a month ago, I figured due to the quality of character of many of the posters on SF, as well as how important our families are to us, that it would prove to be a worthy experience.

My wife was moved to tears this morning as she read through the thread. You ladies and gentlemen have done well. I hope to return the favor.

We are so grateful Leo's ordeal is over...but I just hope that somehow he is able to learn of Oklahoma defeating Notre Dame next week!

Boomer and God Bless!

Explodo
9/21/2013, 04:22 PM
Thought and prayers. Appreciate you shared this. Godspeed.

Soonerjeepman
9/22/2013, 08:02 AM
I can personally vouch for this. I won't bore you with the details, but when I was born, the doctors told my folks 3 things:

1. He won't see his 6th birthday
2. If he does happen to make it that far, he'll be a vegetable.
3. He'll be a midget.

Well, I'm 5'10", not Wilt Chamberlain height by any means, but I think I surpassed midget status.

My wife might argue against this sometimes, but I like to think I'm at least a half step above a vegetable.

Oh, & that 6th birthday thing? All I can say on that one is that 3 weeks ago me & the mrs. celebrated the anniversary of them missing on that one by 40 years.

Sometimes they miss. Hang in there Wasp, & Godspeed to Leo.

HELL yeah! CONGRATS

Soonerjeepman
9/22/2013, 08:03 AM
Wasp, sorry for the loss, but as you said he is in a better place...God speed...

and yes, OU did wipe tulsa clean~

C&CDean
9/22/2013, 09:36 AM
RIP Leo. Godspeed.

Boomer.....
9/23/2013, 08:39 AM
Sorry for your loss. :(

Wishboned
9/23/2013, 08:49 AM
Godspeed Leo! And I'm sorry for your loss Wasp.

Sooners78
9/23/2013, 09:06 AM
Sorry for your loss, Leo sounds like a great guy.

70sooner
9/23/2013, 10:51 AM
Sounds like Leo led a good life with all the love that surrounded him.

We should all be so lucky.

Condolences and RIP, Leo.

budbarrybob
9/23/2013, 11:02 AM
God bless you and your family.

deweydw
9/23/2013, 11:51 AM
Sorry for your loss.... God bless Leo.

boomer...

ouwasp
9/24/2013, 06:56 PM
Well, mission accomplished. Leo was honored, Christ was glorified, the family was pleased, and I even got a shot in at Notre Dame (at the graveside part of the service, got an "Amen" from Leo's brother) I am so thankful to have had this opportunity... and to have it over with!

I'm fairly confident in my public speaking, but also nervous about fouling up, which can happen to anyone. But I was very much humbled today. The funeral director told me afterwards it was the best she had ever, ever heard...my own son told me he was surprised. I'll give credit to the Holy Spirit. Thank you, Sir.

The last image of the slideshow was a picture of Leo and his wife. He was wearing an Oklahoma Sooner shirt. So at the graveside, before reading John 14:1-6, I had folks recall that image. Told them I know Leo is hoping OU can beat ND this Saturday, that maybe he can pull a few strings for us. This produced a chorus of chuckles, and agreeable statements, and the hearty "Amen, brother!" from Leo's bro.

Thanks for hanging in there with me on this thread. Guess we're done now.

OU_Sooners75
9/25/2013, 04:19 PM
Sorry so late.

But God Speed Leo. You are with your heavenly family now!

Wasp! God bless you sir. Sorry for your loss.

soonerloyal
9/25/2013, 08:01 PM
As I stand on the mountaintop, as the great bird approaches. She is small in my sight, but grows larger on approach until I am blessed with the full sight of her graceful wings, proud countenance and good company. All too quickly, she grows small again on the horizon and disappears from view. And I call out, "Look, there. She's gone." But there are other mountaintops beyond me. And at the precise moment when I note the great bird's departure form my view, I know there are new eyes taking up the sight of her. And fresh voices calling out, "Here she comes!"

Love, strength, faith comfort and hope to you all. Till we meet, once more, Brother in Christ.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/25/2013, 11:00 PM
Sorry for your loss, God's blessings on your family.

cherokeebrewer
9/26/2013, 07:40 AM
The saddest part of life is losing the ones we love...bless you.