PDA

View Full Version : Something I Appreciate About Stoops

SicEmBaylor
8/20/2013, 11:34 PM
Inside Baylor takes a lot of behind the scenes video each year at Big XII Media Day. I've noticed that Stoops is always dressed in a suit and tie. This is the way it should be. I loathe to criticize Baylor to "outsiders", but there was something of a debate/discussion over the fact that Briles always wears an athletic pullover on top of khakis but no suit and no tie. The younger people couldn't care less while the older crowd was a bit putoff.

Personally, I'd like to see at least our coach (and preferably our players as well) in suits and ties. If there are rare occasions for a football team to dress professionally -- Big XII Media Day is it. It doesn't seem like a big deal, and I hate to criticize Briles for anything but I'd rather he be in a suit and tie.

Another thing...I've noticed that Stoops is always very friendly with our players. There is one clip of him coming up to a group of our players and just introducing himself. That's classy. He's the only coach I've seen do that with us over the years...others may do it but I've never seen it on film.

Kudos to Stoops for always looking sharp.

soonersweetie
8/21/2013, 08:23 AM
Good point. That is definitely one thing I noticed about Big12 Media Day, not many of the coaches were in suit/tie. Kind of surprised me.

KantoSooner
8/21/2013, 08:26 AM
I lost the suit and tie thing when I first sat down to a business meeting and noticed that the intelligence of what was being said had nothing to do with what people were wearing.

odontia
8/21/2013, 10:05 AM
I have noticed in the coaching world that the way you dress and the way your players perform has a direct correlation. i.e. Bill Belichick

BermudaSooner
8/21/2013, 03:15 PM
He dresses in a good way.

KantoSooner
8/21/2013, 03:21 PM
Which is to say that he successfully covers his nakedness, damn near every day.

SicEmBaylor
8/21/2013, 05:24 PM
You dress well as a sign of respect for the people with whom you're meeting and as a sign of respect for the institution that you represent.

olevetonahill
8/21/2013, 05:27 PM
You dress well as a sign of respect for the people with whom you're meeting and as a sign of respect for the institution that you represent.

So what does ME being Neked all the time Show?
Besides My Butt?

SicEmBaylor
8/21/2013, 05:29 PM
Besides My Butt?

Not a thing. You aren't at an event on behalf of and representing a group or institution...if you're naked it's just you and you alone so bare it all and be proud of what ya got. ;)

SouthFortySooner
8/21/2013, 05:39 PM
Besides My Butt?

Need some acid for my mental eyes!

olevetonahill
8/21/2013, 05:51 PM
Need some acid for my mental eyes!

Heh

8timechamps
8/21/2013, 06:04 PM
Stoops has always had a much different persona with players (even those on opposing teams). It's the media he pushes away. Can't blame him for that.

As for the suit, I agree Sic 'Em. But, I'm a suit and tie guy, so maybe that has some persuasion.

SicEmBaylor
8/21/2013, 06:28 PM
Stoops has always had a much different persona with players (even those on opposing teams). It's the media he pushes away. Can't blame him for that.

As for the suit, I agree Sic 'Em. But, I'm a suit and tie guy, so maybe that has some persuasion.
Here's the clip I'm talking about. This isn't the first time I've seen clips of him walking around and talking to our players (and the players of other teams I'm sure). Class act. I like Stoops a lot...always have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxXb9h5-2Iw

8timechamps
8/21/2013, 06:59 PM
Here's the clip I'm talking about. This isn't the first time I've seen clips of him walking around and talking to our players (and the players of other teams I'm sure). Class act. I like Stoops a lot...always have.

There's a video out there somewhere of an Iowa State player at this year's media days, and he's interviewing various ISU players. At some point Stoops is walking past him, and stops. He talks to the kid quite a bit before moving on. Not sure if he has recruited the kid, but I think that's just how he is with other players. I bet a lot of the coaches in the conference are similar. Since they all share a common bond. However, I'm not sure about coaches like Weis or even Mack...

ashley
8/21/2013, 08:02 PM
Mack is good with all players and even opposing fans but I have heard Weis is not too friendly to anyone.

Collier11
8/21/2013, 08:02 PM
world is changing SicEm...I work for a Fortune 500 company and I often have to visit clients that spend a lot of money with my company, very few of my clients wear a suit and tie, therefore, I am not asked to wear it anymore so that we don't look out of place. I do agree in your example that the coaches should be in a suit, but if the players were they wouldn't be recognizable.

mainline13
8/21/2013, 08:52 PM
Besides My Butt?

Very little.

PalmBeachSooner
8/22/2013, 12:56 PM
It could be worse. He could dress like Bo Pelini.