PDA

View Full Version : QB update

Collier11
8/19/2013, 07:49 PM
Not sure if he is guessing or has "sources" but Dean Blevins says that Trevor Knight will be the new QB.

CatfishSooner
8/19/2013, 08:09 PM
45/65%??

Collier11
8/19/2013, 08:10 PM
51%

CatfishSooner
8/19/2013, 08:20 PM
51%
I knew it was closE!!!!1

colleyvillesooner
8/19/2013, 11:26 PM
BBJ reported the same thing tonight. Seeing around the net a few players have confirms this. Who knows.

Believe in bob. But whoa what a game changer. If true how does be handle this? Transfer to play one year somewhere else? Or stick it out as #2/dozer and see what happens?

tycat947
8/19/2013, 11:30 PM
Oh GEEZ!

olevetonahill
8/19/2013, 11:35 PM
Did Yall see the Spring Game?
I was Leaning to KT till he got hurt . Blake is a Great Kid But we HAVE to go with who will bring us home from the dance

olevetonahill
8/19/2013, 11:36 PM
Oh and Whom ever Bob says Im good with !

8timechamps
8/19/2013, 11:36 PM
BBJ reported the same thing tonight.

Believe in bob. But whoa what a fan changer. If true how does be handle this? Transfer to play one year somewhere else? Or stick it out as #2/dozer and see what happens?

Whomever the #2 guy is, there is a very high chance they see the field this year. I don't see Bell going anywhere (if Knight is named).

The only player that may think about it is Cody Thomas, but he's also playing baseball, so I doubt he leaves.

Interestingly, the kid that OU landed in this class (Justice Hansen), may be better than anyone we have. Next year could be very interesting.

colleyvillesooner
8/19/2013, 11:41 PM
If true and knight is the real deal, and Bell can handle it, could be a lethal combo along with the running back stable we have

Collier11
8/20/2013, 12:01 AM
If true, hopefully Knight is Manziel without the dooshiness :D

OU_Sooners75
8/20/2013, 05:45 AM
Whomever the #2 guy is, there is a very high chance they see the field this year. I don't see Bell going anywhere (if Knight is named).

The only player that may think about it is Cody Thomas, but he's also playing baseball, so I doubt he leaves.

Interestingly, the kid that OU landed in this class (Justice Hansen), may be better than anyone we have. Next year could be very interesting.

Kind of hard to say Hansen is better when he isn't on campus. Just sayin.

All I know is OU has a very good group of quarterbacks.

OU_Sooners75
8/20/2013, 05:46 AM
If true, hopefully Knight is Manziel without the dooshiness :D

We don't need a Manziel. We need a leader that will get the job done.

I cannot believe Manziel is the comparison nowadays.

SicEmBaylor
8/20/2013, 06:05 AM
We don't need a Manziel. We need a leader that will get the job done.

I cannot believe Manziel is the comparison nowadays.
Manziel is a grade-A ********* from the biggest ********* school in the country. He has so far had one excellent year, but he has three years to go....I refuse to call him Johnny Football.

I'll take RGIII over that ******* every day of the week.

SicEmBaylor
8/20/2013, 06:06 AM
Anyway, how big is this guy? Interestingly, Bell was the only QB in the Big XII (I think) that is physically bigger than Petty.

stoopified
8/20/2013, 06:16 AM
I have no idea if DB is right or not BUT his so-called inside sources are often way off.Perfect example of this is when AD went down vs,ISU his junior year. Everyone speculated on who would join AP(Allan Patrick) in the tb rotation,Dean says his sources tell him it would be Madu.

Funny thing is I happened to talk to Merv Johnson on the pregame call-in show before the game and talked to him about OU's tb question.My question was SINCE IT IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE AD WILL GO PRO AFTER THIS YEAR<WHO IS PRIMED TO BE THE TOP BACK NEXT SEASON? Merv replied that Chris Brown had a huge leg up in the competition as he was traveling with and practicing with the 1's in case he is needed this year.Bingo bango AD goes down,Blevins says inside sources say Madu,everyone elseparrots the line(all state media).I told anyone that would listen that Brown would be the guy to step up to replace the injured AD and of course he did. Not tring to puff myself up,just saing Blevins inside dope isn't reliaable.

I miss the pregame call-in show with Merv ,the man was MY inside source. As to the qb this year? I have no idea ,however if Trevor beats BB out,he must be a helluva qb.

swardboy
8/20/2013, 07:20 AM
If this pans out to be true, I'm am seriously amped up about our prospects. It would tell me that Stoops has his eyes wide open, and the product on the field is really the best in our stable. None of this "loyal to a fault" kind of mentality. But if Bell gets the nod, I don't have any problem with that either. What do I know? We will rally around _________, and we will win games.

stoopified
8/20/2013, 07:24 AM
I've been listening to KREF this AM and apparently Toby predicted Trevor Knight would be this year's starting qb. The kicker? Toby apparently made this prediction on Nov. 15,2012.When Toby made this pick,TJ actually wrote it down. On a sidenote Barry Switzer raved about Trevor last year and said something to effect that Knight was his top pick at qb.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/20/2013, 08:03 AM
I thought Coach Switzer raved about Kendal Thompson?

sooner_born_1960
8/20/2013, 08:04 AM
He raves a lot.

badger
8/20/2013, 08:20 AM
Not sure if he is guessing or has "sources" but Dean Blevins says that Trevor Knight will be the new QB.

Wildlife trivia: This type of sh!t makes badger heads explode

Whet
8/20/2013, 10:12 AM
I have also heard TK will be the starting QB and BB will also get playing time.

SoonerNomad
8/20/2013, 10:24 AM
I have had the feeling that both would get significant playing time in the opener and that the ultimate decision on starter will be delayed until then. If Knight is still in the running that means to me that he has probably outplayed Bell thus far.

Also, and I am guessing this has already been discussed, but if Knight wins the job do the coaches still use the mostly effective but always disruptive Belldozer package in short yardage situations?

sooner_born_1960
8/20/2013, 10:27 AM
disruptive? how?

Whet
8/20/2013, 10:38 AM
Texas had that dual QB dealio going and look how it worked out for them.

badger
8/20/2013, 10:40 AM
Texas had that dual QB dealio going and look how it worked out for them.

Belldozer + TK = Total domination

Case McCoy + David Ash = Herp derp

Bourbon St Sooner
8/20/2013, 10:45 AM
If TK wins the job, why would you bring in Bell for the belldozer when you already have a qb that can run the read-option? I understand Bell's a big guy, but if it's the same predictable package that it has been the last couple of years, I don't see the point.

SoonerNomad
8/20/2013, 10:52 AM
disruptive? how?

I know I wasn't the only one that thought that the Belldozer package, which clearly improved OU's short yardage success, also disrupted the continuity of the offense, limited options when used too often and did affect the confidence of Landry Jones.

I am not saying it should not have been used occasionally, but it was disruptive in the amount that it was used. My personal opinion is that the starting quarterback needs to be able to run the offense in long and short yardage situations and that having too much predictability in a set of plays eventually backfires.

badger
8/20/2013, 11:05 AM
affect the confidence of Landry Jones.

Nah...

2010: 38 touchdowns
2012: 30 touchdowns

Maybe... :(

sooner46
8/20/2013, 11:15 AM
I agree that the starting QB should run the short and long plays, If LJ would have been getting the job done Bell would have never seen the field. By using the package we won some games we might not have. Just my opinion.

swardboy
8/20/2013, 11:22 AM
Does anyone else feel the Belldozer became less effective the more it was used?

Plus, with either Knight or Bell, we have a QB that will have the defense guessing triple threat: Pass, running back, qb.

badger
8/20/2013, 11:40 AM
By using the package we won some games we might not have.

:stunned: <<<< :D

I am probably mistaken, but it seemed to be due to the fact that there was never any successful play action when Blake came in. Everyone knew what was going to happen, so the box got stacked and it was just a matter of if our monster fullbacks got in some good blocks... which to their credit, they did very well.

Soonerjeepman
8/20/2013, 12:00 PM
wow, that would be a big ballsy move for stoops. Not saying TK doesn't deserve it but trying to remember if Stoops has picked a qb with NO game experience over one with game experience...and a lot of name..(not that that matters but it is a side of it). Interesting to see what happens.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/20/2013, 12:01 PM

When the Belldozer first debuted, as soon as the ball was snapped to Blake Bell, opposing defenses would have a slight delay to see what he would do, which gave Bell plenty of time to hit the running lane just at the right time.

Further down the road, once they realized the Sooner coaching staff was effectively never going to have him pass out of the Belldozer formation, they stopped hesitating and started firing off the ball just as soon as the ball was snapped and exploiting OU's bad run-blocking.

This season, Oklahoma's opponents won't have the luxury of knowing with 100% certainty what OU's QB is going to do. When Landry was in, he was either going to throw or hand the ball off. When Bell was in, he was either going to run or hand the ball off. Now it's going to be is Bell (or Knight) going to run, pass or hand the ball off? So instead of it being a 10 versus 11 game in the opponents favor, it's going to be a 11 versus 11 game in Oklahoma's favor.

Al Gore
8/20/2013, 12:03 PM
I believe it will be BB. I also think we should have a quick poll and send the results to Bob. This will help his decision making process.

badger
8/20/2013, 12:18 PM
trying to remember if Stoops has picked a qb with NO game experience over one with game experience.

Correct me if I'm wrong: Nate Hybl over Jason White to begin 2001. White was Heupel's backup in 1999 before redshirting the 2000 season.

In 2007, Sam Bradford won over Joey Halzle, who was ENA's backup in 2006.

sooner46
8/20/2013, 12:31 PM
Yes, Badger that one.

Over in the Johnny thread I stated “The look on Franchione face was priceless”. A game like is fun every once in a while is fun, but it does not help the team get better for next game.

The OSU game was heart attack time but the outcome was still priceless they thought they had the game won until the last minute. That kick in the stomach had to hurt.

Salt City Sooner
8/20/2013, 12:39 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong: Nate Hybl over Jason White to begin 2001. White was Heupel's backup in 1999 before redshirting the 2000 season.

In 2007, Sam Bradford won over Joey Halzle, who was ENA's backup in 2006.
Hybl played in 2000 though. I remember him throwing a flukish pick against Baylor in mop up time.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/20/2013, 12:42 PM
Yeah he did..pitched it right to the defense on a shovel pass.

swardboy
8/20/2013, 12:45 PM
Well, with our inclination to a more "active" QB, we should be extremely happy that it's a great race Bell and Knight seem to be engaged in. We'll need them both.

Mac94
8/20/2013, 12:55 PM
104.9 ESPN Austin is reporting no one has yet been picked as the starter at OU ... not really news but sounds like they ran with the Knight as starter report and have now backed off. Given Stoops past ... how will we find out when a starter is named?

PalmBeachSooner
8/20/2013, 12:57 PM
I wonder if we will still try to run a high-tempo offense regardless of the QB.

badger
8/20/2013, 01:02 PM
104.9 ESPN Austin is reporting no one has yet been picked as the starter at OU ... not really news but sounds like they ran with the Knight as starter report and have now backed off. Given Stoops past ... how will we find out when a starter is named?

The Oklahoman (http://newsok.com/sources-ou-qbs-blake-bell-trevor-knight-still-competing/article/3873769) reported the same thing.

I have to assume that word got out who was taking first team snaps on whatever practice day and that's how the TK-is-starting story picked up steam.

Stoops has said he's not going to discuss it publicly, but rather, talk to TK and Belldozer separately on his decision, then teammates will figure it out later based on who's taking all of the first-team snaps.

There's less than two weeks till someone starts. Would Blake Bell put up with being put in for goalline short yardage situations another season? Or would he be announcing his transfer right after that Stoops meeting?

All things considered, I don't think a decision has been made publicly or privately yet.

Mac94
8/20/2013, 01:07 PM
Here's a questions ... Knight is very inexperienced and young ... what is everyones take ... is his pushing Bell as much as he has a positive sign that Knight is just that good or a worry that maybe Bell wasn't as good as hoped?

Any odds the battle extends into the season? Both play versus ULM, WV, and Tulsa before the bye and not really have a full started till South Bend?

badger
8/20/2013, 01:12 PM
Here's a questions ... Knight is very inexperienced and young ... what is everyones take ... is his pushing Bell as much as he has a positive sign that Knight is just that good or a worry that maybe Bell wasn't as good as hoped?

Any odds the battle extends into the season? Both play versus ULM, WV, and Tulsa before the bye and not really have a full started till South Bend?

Remember when all the Texas and Texas area sports publications bought hook, line and sinker that Jerrod Johnson was the second coming of Vince Young in an Aggie uniform and that he was going to win the Heisman and lead A&M to the Big 12 and national titles?

I don't remember how it all turned out for Jerrod or his coach or his receiver named Ryan, but I think baby dolphins are being clubbed repeatedly by the rest of the NFL. Poor dolphins.

Mac94
8/20/2013, 01:16 PM
not sure what A&M or Jerrod has to do with my question ... just curious the take on the Sooner QB competition. The Sooner offense at every other position looks loaded ... and if the QB delivers (aka Knight being that good) then this Sooner squad offensively should be really explosive and couold really help a young defense that will need time to develop. If the flip side is true ... well ... a good OL and running game is still a real plus.

I'm just looking for info on how the guys are doing. Yes ... I'm an Aggie ... but I'm a Sooner fan as well.

badger
8/20/2013, 01:20 PM
not sure what A&M or Jerrod has to do with my question

I brought it up because Bell, like Jerrod, seemed to be the fan's/media's assumed future star/starter/etc.

I find it telling that OU hasn't thrown all chips toward Bell already. I hope I'm wrong

Mac94
8/20/2013, 01:24 PM
Why do you hope you're wrong?

Is it possible Knight is just that good? To steal another A&M example ... going into fall camp for the 2012 season the media/fan assumption was that J. Showers was going to be our starting QB ... Sumlin ended up going with a redshirt freshman that has zero experience and we know that rest of the story. I know you guys don't like Johnny but the point is ... the inexperienced player can come in and do great things. the thing with Johnny was ... there were flashes in the spring and fall camp that showed what he could do. The question is ... has Knight shown real flashes of QB brillance that has led to this point?

KantoSooner
8/20/2013, 01:32 PM
Given Stoops past ... how will we find out when a starter is named?

There's a chimney on top of the Switzer Center. The crowds in the street outside watch it and try to discern the color of smoke coming out.
That and whether a goat or a lamb is sacrificed in the parking lot and whether the number of vestal virgins chivvied into the building is even or odd...

Mac94
8/20/2013, 01:39 PM
^
|___ COOL! Will Fox Sports Oklahoma be holding a vigil with 24 hour coverage????? ;)

badger
8/20/2013, 01:46 PM

It'll sound silly, but the motherly side of me would feel bad for a quarterback who has been patient in his backup/short yardage role if he was usurped by a new guy.

sooneron
8/20/2013, 01:49 PM
The fatherly side of me says, "suck it up!!!"

Mac94
8/20/2013, 01:49 PM
Ahhhh ... ok ... got it

badger
8/20/2013, 01:53 PM
The fatherly side of me says, "suck it up!!!"
My baby's daddy decided that he would call Landry ****up last season in an effort to make him stop ****ing up.

I hope this year's Sooner starter doesn't get similar nickname treatment from our college buddies :P

pweitkem
8/20/2013, 01:57 PM

Is it possible Knight is just that good? To steal another A&M example ... going into fall camp for the 2012 season the media/fan assumption was that J. Showers was going to be our starting QB ... Sumlin ended up going with a redshirt freshman that has zero experience and we know that rest of the story. I know you guys don't like Johnny but the point is ... the inexperienced player can come in and do great things. the thing with Johnny was ... there were flashes in the spring and fall camp that showed what he could do. The question is ... has Knight shown real flashes of QB brillance that has led to this point?

Please tell me more about this redshirt freshman from A&M with zero experience. Sounds like he worked out really well for you *** hats.

Mac94
8/20/2013, 02:03 PM
Please tell me more about this redshirt freshman from A&M with zero experience. Sounds like he worked out really well for you *** hats.

Yup ... right up to the offseason ;)

KantoSooner
8/20/2013, 02:05 PM
^
|___ COOL! Will Fox Sports Oklahoma be holding a vigil with 24 hour coverage????? ;)

Yes!

Crimson Koolaid will be served and it is rumored that, if the QB chosen is destined for greatness, the Koolaid transubstantiates into Barry Switzer's blood.

KantoSooner
8/20/2013, 02:09 PM
And I haven't even gotten to the part where we all get naked, paint our bodies with cranberry juice and dance in a celebratory frenzy around the base of a mammoth maypole atop which David Boren sits in his thrown, tossing LSD laced candy to the crowd below.

We know how to rock in Oklahoma.

Bob Stoops: "No Comment" <but a private, half upward cast to his lips that passes for approval.>

SoonerForLife92
8/20/2013, 02:56 PM
There's a chimney on top of the Switzer Center. The crowds in the street outside watch it and try to discern the color of smoke coming out.
That and whether a goat or a lamb is sacrificed in the parking lot and whether the number of vestal virgins chivvied into the building is even or odd...

This is all true

badger
8/20/2013, 03:31 PM
Yes!

Crimson Koolaid will be served and it is rumored that, if the QB chosen is destined for greatness, the Koolaid transubstantiates into Barry Switzer's blood.

And Bud's oatmeeeeeal:
gV31QQWrhZU

Bourbon St Sooner
8/20/2013, 03:44 PM
Based on my inside sources, I can tell that the guy that wins is the better player.

8timechamps
8/20/2013, 05:05 PM
Kind of hard to say Hansen is better when he isn't on campus. Just sayin.

All I know is OU has a very good group of quarterbacks.

I didn't say he was better, I said he may be better. From everything I've heard/read, he's a special QB that is a natural leader (he's probably more responsible for OU getting Dallis Todd than the coaches are).

My point was that OU has very good depth at QB, and that will continue for at least the next few years.

8timechamps
8/20/2013, 05:18 PM
I know the media is always in a rush to be the first to break a story, but I always find it amusing when it surrounds OU/Stoops.

Anyway, whomever wins the job will have earned it, and that's all you can ask. If it's Knight, then that's the guy that's best positioned to lead the team to wins, same for Bell.

I just hope that whichever QB gets the start is given time to succeed. We're not always a patient fan-base.

cvsooner
8/20/2013, 06:16 PM
We're not always a patient fan-base.

Ever?

Collier11
8/20/2013, 06:34 PM
Not sure if anyone posted it or not, but 30 minutes ago Blevins reported the story as a Fact

Breadburner
8/20/2013, 07:11 PM
I was wrong....!!

colleyvillesooner
8/20/2013, 07:16 PM
Not sure if anyone posted it or not, but 30 minutes ago Blevins reported the story as a Fact

here's the article:

http://www.news9.com/story/23200041/breaking-knight

8timechamps
8/20/2013, 07:25 PM
Ever?

Never, ever. :)

Wishboned
8/20/2013, 07:29 PM
I guess Knight time is the right time.

Collier11
8/20/2013, 07:30 PM
Thanks Colly...wasn't sure if I wanted to believe BBJ or Deano on their own, but 2 doofuses combined must be right, right?

8timechamps
8/20/2013, 07:33 PM
I guess Knight time is the right time.

We really need to go to work on a nickname.

Collier11
8/20/2013, 07:34 PM
Let him make some plays and it will come to us

ashley
8/20/2013, 07:36 PM
Check it out. I tried to tell you in the spring and last week.

8timechamps
8/20/2013, 07:38 PM
Let him make some plays and it will come to us

Surely "Dark Knight" has to be in consideration...

SoonerMarkVA
8/20/2013, 07:50 PM

Deano's "facts" as often as not go up in smoke. He's the least-likely guy I would put any stock into actually having info to break a story like this. I think if Stoops and Heupel knew, they wouldn't jerk the other one around.

XingTheRubicon
8/20/2013, 07:51 PM
All Knight

AK for short

What does AK stand for?

Collier11
8/20/2013, 07:54 PM
Deano's "facts" as often as not go up in smoke. He's the least-likely guy I would put any stock into actually having info to break a story like this. I think if Stoops and Heupel knew, they wouldn't jerk the other one around.

Stoops is as connected to the OU football program as anyone, a sports director isn't going to go public with something like this if he didn't feel confident

SoonerorLater
8/20/2013, 08:08 PM
But wait.................

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Stoops_maintains_he_hasnt_picked_his_quarterback/20130820_92_0_NRAoto292565

JLEW1818
8/20/2013, 08:16 PM
NORMAN – Bob Stoops maintained he has not settled on a starting quarterback after practice Tuesday, even as reports surfaced that he has.
"No, I haven't. Who reported that?" Stoops said in the face of bulletins by Oklahoma City television stations KFOR and KWTV that he has chosen Trevor Knight over Blake Bell. "Of course it isn't true."

sooneron
8/20/2013, 08:33 PM
Holy ****, I have a newfound respect for Bob, he quoted Dumb and Dumber!! LOLZ!!!

Collier11
8/20/2013, 08:37 PM
I never like to give Blevins any credit so I wouldn't be shocked if he were wrong, but it takes some credible info for 2 sports directors to go to TV with it

8timechamps
8/20/2013, 08:47 PM
I never like to give Blevins any credit so I wouldn't be shocked if he were wrong, but it takes some credible info for 2 sports directors to go to TV with it

There is something there, but nothing is official until Bob says so. From day one, Stoops said he would announce the decision when he announced it. There is no way on God's green earth he would let Blevins or any other media outlet steal that thunder. So, whether it's true, or not, Bob will be the one to make the announcement. As it probably should be.

achiro
8/20/2013, 09:06 PM
There is something there, but nothing is official until Bob says so. From day one, Stoops said he would announce the decision when he announced it. There is no way on God's green earth he would let Blevins or any other media outlet steal that thunder. So, whether it's true, or not, Bob will be the one to make the announcement. As it probably should be.
I thought he said just last week that there wouldn't be an announcement, he would talk to the players and then they would start getting the majority of snaps with the ones in practice.

colleyvillesooner
8/20/2013, 09:15 PM
Murdoch is saying it will be announced tomorrow via webcast on soonersports.com. Knight.

Soonerus
8/20/2013, 09:22 PM
It seems certain now, Drew Allen made a sound decision...

Widescreen
8/20/2013, 09:31 PM
Stoops is as connected to the OU football program as anyone

Well you would sure hope so.

Since71ASooner4Life
8/20/2013, 09:37 PM

Plus, with either Knight or Bell, we have a QB that will have the defense guessing triple threat: Pass, running back, qb.

The belldozer was entertaining against over matched opponents. Against reputable defenses it was flipping a coin at best.

VA Sooner
8/20/2013, 10:11 PM
Very interesting... TK as a starting QB. I knew he was good but haven't been able to hear or see anything about practices there in Norman.

Can't wait for the season to finally start

8timechamps
8/20/2013, 10:18 PM
I thought he said just last week that there wouldn't be an announcement, he would talk to the players and then they would start getting the majority of snaps with the ones in practice.

He said he wouldn't make an announcement to the team, and that they would realize that one guy is getting more reps than the other...that's how they would know.

nighttrain12
8/20/2013, 10:48 PM
Based on my inside sources, I can tell that the guy that wins is the better player.

We HOPE the man picked to start is the better player but we won't know that until real games are played.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
8/21/2013, 06:31 AM
All Knight

AK for short

What does AK stand for?

Alaska, I believe

swardboy
8/21/2013, 07:21 AM
All Knight

AK for short

What does AK stand for?

Or maybe TK-O since he IS on offense.

KantoSooner
8/21/2013, 08:24 AM
Hmmm Knight must have had one hell of a summer since he was, at best, the third best QB on the field back in April.

cleller
8/21/2013, 08:26 AM
Doesn't it seem likely that regardless of who is named the starter, both will play in the first game or two? I think both will get some real game experience, and that will ultimately show who is going to be the guy.

jkjsooner
8/21/2013, 08:34 AM
The belldozer was entertaining against over matched opponents. Against reputable defenses it was flipping a coin at best.

With a legitimate passing threat mixed in it would be hard to stop. At best the defense would have to be guessing and even when they guess right on a run the formation is still hard to stop.

The problem is that they tried that once and Bell throw an interception in the endzone (if I remember correctly).

That's not really a slam on Bell. It was more of a lack of experience thing...

starclassic tama
8/21/2013, 08:40 AM
Doesn't it seem likely that regardless of who is named the starter, both will play in the first game or two? I think both will get some real game experience, and that will ultimately show who is going to be the guy.

i've seen a lot of people say this and it wouldn't surprise me if it were true, but when has bob ever played two quarterbacks? in 2005 he started thompson, but as soon as he struggled bomar went in and never came back out. i don't think they want to play 2 QB's unless they have to..

HateTheWhorns
8/21/2013, 09:01 AM
All Knight

AK for short

What does AK stand for?

I Like It

SoonerorLater
8/21/2013, 09:20 AM
I Like It

Let's just hope it isn't Knight of the Living Dead.

badger
8/21/2013, 09:29 AM
So in other words... #10 jerseys are going to be marked waaaay down at stores across Oklahoma by the end of the month?

KantoSooner
8/21/2013, 09:39 AM
Let's just hope it isn't Knight of the Living Dead.

Didn't we already do that?

Widescreen
8/21/2013, 09:46 AM
So in other words... #10 jerseys are going to be marked waaaay down at stores across Oklahoma by the end of the month?

Which is OK since #10 will be used by many players over the next decade. My #18 Jason White jersey became Gresham, Justin McKay, Michael Hunnicut, Kameel Jackson, Jalen Saunders and now Ahmad Thomas.

Pricetag
8/21/2013, 09:51 AM
DeMarco Murray pulled one of the epic jersey bailouts in history.

badger
8/21/2013, 09:53 AM
Why Blake won't start: He only enters the game on 3rd/4th down.

Why Blake may start: An epic kickoff/punt return leads to a goalline stand on OU's opening drive

stoopified
8/21/2013, 10:53 AM
DeMarco Murray pulled one of the epic jersey bailouts in history.Amen

stoopified
8/21/2013, 11:00 AM
Which is OK since #10 will be used by many players over the next decade. My #18 Jason White jersey became Gresham, Justin McKay, Michael Hunnicut, Kameel Jackson, Jalen Saunders and now Ahmad Thomas.

Yuo keep #10 around because of Marshall,Von Schman,David Vickers,John Carroll (for us really old farts).

badger
8/21/2013, 11:05 AM
My #18 Jason White jersey.

I got #18 back after his second ACL. $15 at the OU bookstore :D

I've noticed that the back numbers wear off faster than the front numbers if they're not sewn on. Cheap Nike bastages

Pricetag
8/21/2013, 01:19 PM
Yuo keep #10 around because of Marshall,Von Schman,David Vickers,John Carroll (for us really old farts).
Or Josh Heupel, spring 1999 version.

rock on sooner
8/21/2013, 01:38 PM
My Marcus Dupree #22 became Mike Gaddis, Quentin Griffin
and currently Roy Finch and Cortez Johnson, with many others
along the way. Keep a # long enough and a star will wear it!

vtsooner21
8/21/2013, 01:47 PM
Knight time is the right time...

Boomer

badger
8/21/2013, 01:59 PM
Knight time is the right time...

Boomer
I wonder if they'll be playing that "Saturday night's all right" song before games this season :)

Tulsa_Fireman
8/21/2013, 03:06 PM
They replaced Fanfare with that.

KantoSooner
8/21/2013, 03:23 PM
James Brown, "Knight Train"

BoulderSooner79
8/21/2013, 03:30 PM
Bob Seger, "Knight Moves"

KantoSooner
8/21/2013, 03:51 PM
1. Shadows of the Knight by Pat Benatar
2. Strangers in the Knight by Frank Sinatra
3. Somewhere in the Knight by Barry Manilow
4. Knight on Broadway by the Bee Gees
5. Summer Knight from Grease
6 Into the Knight by Benny Mardones
9. Knight Move by Bob Seger
10. Hollywood Knight by Bob Seger
11. One of These Knights by the Eagles
12. Fly By Knight by Rush
13. I Love the Knight Life by Alicia Bridges
14. In The Heat of the Knight by Pat Benatar
15. Walkin' After MidKnight by Patsy Cline
16. The Knight the Lights Went Out in Georgia by Vicki Lawrence
17. MidKnight Rambler by the Rolling Stones
18. MidKnight Rendevous by the Babys
19. MidKnight at the Oasis by Maria Muldar
20. Right Time of the Knight by Jennifer Warnes
21. Boogie Knight by Heatwave
22. Tonight's the Knight by Rod Stewart
23. Knight Owls by Little River Band
24. MidKnight Rider by the Allman Brothers
25. Knightbird by Stevie Nicks
26. In the Still of the Knight by the Five Satins
27. Welcome to My Knightmare by Alice Cooper
28. Saturday Knight Special by Lynyrd Skynyrd
30. After MidKnight by Eric Clapton
31. Help Me Make It Through the Knight by Sammi Smith
32. Dance the Knight Away by Van Halen

and...One Knight in Bangkok

You're welcome.

KantoSooner
8/21/2013, 03:56 PM
But, after all this errant silliness, don't ask me for whom the Bell tolls, it tolls for thee...

badger
8/21/2013, 04:02 PM
What will you all do when Cody Thomas is named starter, besides wear bandanas on your head :P

olevetonahill
8/21/2013, 04:03 PM
Ya know? These reports are Prolly true, But Ima wait till Bob says so.

I still think K T had as good a chance as either of to win the job. Oh well we will see .

soonertodd
8/21/2013, 04:05 PM
AK-47.that's what we will call it "Ak-47, when you absolutely, positively have to mow down the entire defense!"

Widescreen
8/21/2013, 04:19 PM
AK-47.that's what we will call it "Ak-47, when you absolutely, positively have to mow down the entire defense!"

In today's society, that would be rejected because it's too violent and threatening. A few months ago, someone flying (I think) Qantas airlines was told to leave the plane he was on prior to departure because he was wearing this shirt and people supposedly felt threatened:

http://a.tgcdn.net/images/products/zoom/inigo_montoya.jpg

KantoSooner
8/21/2013, 04:26 PM
THAT is one awesome name tag!

olevetonahill
8/21/2013, 04:26 PM
In today's society, that would be rejected because it's too violent and threatening. A few months ago, someone flying (I think) Qantas airlines was told to leave the plane he was on prior to departure because he was wearing this shirt and people supposedly felt threatened:

Plus the fact that an AK47 was what the Gooks used against us in nam

KantoSooner
8/21/2013, 04:29 PM
Don't blame the gun. The AK wasn't hunting you, the Vietcong were.

LakeRat
8/21/2013, 04:31 PM
Is this the new "deleted" thread?

olevetonahill
8/21/2013, 04:31 PM
Don't blame the gun. The AK wasn't hunting you, the Vietcong were.

Oh I have one , I just dont Call it that. I call it Gookster

badger
8/21/2013, 04:35 PM
Is this the new "deleted" thread?

Until we get a starting quarterback, sure why not.

KENDALL THOMPSON CONFIRMED FOR OU STARTING QUARTERBACK

8timechamps
8/21/2013, 04:36 PM
It was just reported that Justin Fuentes was named starter. Apparently, he had an extra year of eligibility and was under-the-radar.

SouthFortySooner
8/21/2013, 05:23 PM
Why do they call him AK when his initials are TK?

boomersooner28
8/21/2013, 06:35 PM
Where can I get a Boomer Sooner ringtone?

En_Fuego
8/21/2013, 07:09 PM
Jarrod Reese ?

JLEW1818
8/21/2013, 07:53 PM
Smell 2005 all over again

panhandlesooner
8/21/2013, 07:54 PM
Bobby Boyd or David Baker?

Collier11
8/21/2013, 08:00 PM
sh*t your pants again buddy?

mojorisen2014
8/21/2013, 08:06 PM
Chris Melson

JLEW1818
8/21/2013, 08:13 PM
sh*t your pants again buddy?

Fire Venables

Wishboned
8/21/2013, 08:23 PM
1. Shadows of the Knight by Pat Benatar
2. Strangers in the Knight by Frank Sinatra
3. Somewhere in the Knight by Barry Manilow
4. Knight on Broadway by the Bee Gees
5. Summer Knight from Grease
6 Into the Knight by Benny Mardones
9. Knight Move by Bob Seger
10. Hollywood Knight by Bob Seger
11. One of These Knights by the Eagles
12. Fly By Knight by Rush
13. I Love the Knight Life by Alicia Bridges
14. In The Heat of the Knight by Pat Benatar
15. Walkin' After MidKnight by Patsy Cline
16. The Knight the Lights Went Out in Georgia by Vicki Lawrence
17. MidKnight Rambler by the Rolling Stones
18. MidKnight Rendevous by the Babys
19. MidKnight at the Oasis by Maria Muldar
20. Right Time of the Knight by Jennifer Warnes
21. Boogie Knight by Heatwave
22. Tonight's the Knight by Rod Stewart
23. Knight Owls by Little River Band
24. MidKnight Rider by the Allman Brothers
25. Knightbird by Stevie Nicks
26. In the Still of the Knight by the Five Satins
27. Welcome to My Knightmare by Alice Cooper
28. Saturday Knight Special by Lynyrd Skynyrd
30. After MidKnight by Eric Clapton
31. Help Me Make It Through the Knight by Sammi Smith
32. Dance the Knight Away by Van Halen

and...One Knight in Bangkok

You're welcome.

Do we all have Knight fever?

mainline13
8/21/2013, 08:47 PM

I have that shirt (ok, one just like it). It is about the only thing I have ever worn that I have received compliments about.

I also quote the movie with some frequency, usually complete with the appropriate accent. But then, I obsess.

outwism
8/22/2013, 01:24 AM
Plus the fact that an AK47 was what the Gooks used against us in nam

I find this highly offensive and do not even see how you posted this then re-posted later using another form of this G word.

Do you even realize that it is a derogatory term?

olevetonahill
8/22/2013, 01:43 AM
I find this highly offensive and do not even see how you posted this then re-posted later using another form of this G word.

Do I look like I give a **** about the Gooks who shot at me? Yea I dint think so either

If I remember "Gook" = same same ,shat!

thecrimsoncrusader
8/22/2013, 06:02 AM

I know it has been forgotten by many, but people STILL have a right to say offensive things. Maybe not specifically on this board, but in this country.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
8/22/2013, 06:08 AM
Do we all have Knight fever?

The Knight Rider

cleller
8/22/2013, 07:11 AM
Do I look like I give a **** about the Gooks who shot at me? Yea I dint think so either

I'm sure most would consider Nips or Nipponese offensive, too, but not Gerry or Kraut. That's pretty unequal of them.

Ridiculous world when you can't even choose what you want to call the people that would have ended our existence at the drop of a hat.

SoonersEnFuego
8/22/2013, 08:37 AM
Fire Venables

JLEW, are you still obsessed with Tony Jefferson? If not, who you looking at?

cherokeebrewer
8/22/2013, 08:37 AM
About that QB situation, I'll say this: Blake Bell has been a loyal team guy from the git go and given his best, which aint bad. If TK is named the starter, there can be no question...he is the 2nd coming of JFF.

Mac94
8/22/2013, 09:04 AM
If TK is named the starter, there can be no question...he is the 2nd coming of JFF.

As long as it's on the field Johnny only, lol. Look forward to seeing the kid play ... gotta find a replay of the ULM game on FSSW or FS Oklahoma so I can see how he did.

EatLeadCommie
8/22/2013, 09:11 AM
The term "gook" derives from the Korean war. Hangook is what the Koreans called themselves (since modified to Hankook-- see the tire company). Migook is what they called Americans. Migook sounds like "me gook" so the name stuck.

Anyway, just a lesson there, but yeah, shouldn't use that in a forum like this, though I could certainly understand it if you personally were shot at in the Vietnam War. My grandmother wouldn't buy Japanese or German until her dying day, which was only a few years ago.

cherokeebrewer
8/22/2013, 09:26 AM
Anyway, just a lesson there, but yeah, shouldn't use that in a forum like this, though I could certainly understand it if you personally were shot at in the Vietnam War.

Being in the jungle gives life & death new meaning...don't mean to be mystic, but he earned the right to call 'em like he sees 'em.

badger
8/22/2013, 09:43 AM
About that QB situation, I'll say this: Blake Bell has been a loyal team guy from the git go and given his best, which aint bad. If TK is named the starter, there can be no question...he is the 2nd coming of JFF.

Since you brought JFF up...

Interesting take here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/post.aspx/If_Trevor_Knight_becomes_OUs_starting_quarterback_ he/21901).

if we had made the orange bowl and didn't get trampled by aggroid in the cotton instead, would BB be the defacto starter?

outwism
8/22/2013, 10:21 AM

Hi Oleveton,

I respect you for fighting in a war to protect democracy and giving us the right of freedom of speech. The term "gook" is still considered derogatory and offensive. Being of Asian descent, I cannot tell you how much that word truly hurt me growing up. As a graduate from this wonderful and prestigious University, I would hope to never hear or see such derogotory terms posted in a forum about a football program we both love.

Boomer Sooner!

badger
8/22/2013, 10:31 AM
Hi Oleveton

Discussion aside, I don't think I've ever heard him called "Oleveton" lol :)

olevetonahill
8/22/2013, 10:35 AM
Hi Oleveton,

I respect you for fighting in a war to protect democracy and giving us the right of freedom of speech. The term "gook" is still considered derogatory and offensive. Being of Asian descent, I cannot tell you how much that word truly hurt me growing up. As a graduate from this wonderful and prestigious University, I would hope to never hear or see such derogotory terms posted in a forum about a football program we both love.

Boomer Sooner!

In my 63 years I have found No matter what I do or say I prolly will Offend some one so on that note. **** off dip **** .

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2ae4fpcwm1qah1n6o1_500.jpg

EatLeadCommie
8/22/2013, 10:36 AM
I, for one, think it's a good sign that the QB job is apparently up for grabs. I just wouldn't want to see BB walk if he doesn't get the job.

olevetonahill
8/22/2013, 10:36 AM
Discussion aside, I don't think I've ever heard him called "Oleveton" lol :)

Heh. Ive been called worse LOL

sooner46
8/22/2013, 10:43 AM
Please do not take any thing I say herein the wrong way. Yes I am a Blake Bell supporter but if Trevor Knight is named the starting QB am good with that.

The reason the article gave for this was, Trevor had to run the scout team for the Cotton bowl (Yes, I know it states he ran it all year). When I read that, my first take on it was he did not a very good job at being Manziel if he had our defense you have been better prepared. Just kidding.

If he is the starting quarterback all is good. Let’s get some football going. Boomer Sooner.

SouthFortySooner
8/22/2013, 11:24 AM
Gook online today to see if a new quarterback had been named? No info here, will gook look on the official website or the news forum. Entertain me people!

rock on sooner
8/22/2013, 11:36 AM
In my 63 years I have found No matter what I do or say I prolly will Offend some one so on that note. **** off dip **** .

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2ae4fpcwm1qah1n6o1_500.jpg

Heh, aint life with free speech jus wunnerful! I get a similar
reaction anytime I use "raghead" referring to the locals when
I was in Pakistan. IMO, getting shot and shot at by an enemy
gives one certain license, just like living in country for 15
frickin months...jus sayin'...

swardboy
8/22/2013, 11:43 AM
Just like Bob to be a contrarian to everything the media has already christened. And now it would be just like Bob to wait until Friday before the game to announce the starter...be he's p^ssed off.

badger
8/22/2013, 12:07 PM
Entertain me people!

He's already throwing celebrations.
http://i42.tinypic.com/az6ly.png

PalmBeachSooner
8/22/2013, 12:42 PM

I seriously doubt it. It's not Bob's style. He seems to like his starting QB to get 99% of snaps in a game. Whoever the QB is, he will need as many game reps as possible as soon as possible.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/22/2013, 12:57 PM
I seriously doubt it. It's not Bob's style. He seems to like his starting QB to get 99% of snaps in a game. Whoever the QB is, he will need as many game reps as possible as soon as possible.

It was also not Coach Stoops style to fire assistant coaches, but he was on the attack this off-season. I think items such as the following has provided a wake-up call to Coach Stoops:

- playing in minor bowl games of late
- losing to Texas Tech at home
- losing to Baylor for the first time ever
- getting blown out by OSU
- losing two home games in a single season
- sharing a conference title
- getting blown out by ATM in the Cotton Bowl

Coach Stoops seemed to have realized that while status quo was once great and was working and shouldn't be messed with, it was no longer being effective and he has been doing something about it.

EatLeadCommie
8/22/2013, 12:58 PM
While I can certainly understand harboring some resentment toward the people who shoot at you, using derogatory terms in private is different than using them on a message board. Moreover, being shot at does not give a person a blanket license to be an a-hole. My dad was shot at in Vietnam, and he doesn't call them "gooks." He does call them Cong, perhaps recognizing that while there were indeed many "gooks" shooting at him, he also worked with a lot of them to save their country and thus can recognize the difference between the VC, the NVA, and the ARVN. Who knows. Maybe he did talk like that when he was young, but the passage of 40+ years has not turned him into a bitter, racist old fart. He actually went back on a trip a few years ago at my behest and enjoyed it, even though he poo-pooed the idea initially when I brought it up a few years prior.

And both of my brothers have been to Iraq. "Haji" is the worst thing I've heard either of them say, and that term, while not particularly PC, does not carry heavy racist connotations like "raghead" does. On a side note, I saw that some golfer got taken to task for calling some guys Pakis, which apparently is a racist term in the UK, but hell if I ever knew it was. I don't think it is in the US.

I do think this country goes overboard often in the PC arena, but flaunting one's racism with a "screw it" attitude only perpetuates the stereotype that Oklahomans are a bunch of racist rednecks. As my mother used to say, just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should. Just because you can call somebody a "gook" or a "raghead" on a public message board that represents the fans of OU doesn't mean you should.

badger
8/22/2013, 12:58 PM
It's not Bob's style

Past two years Bob: Do we need short yardage for a first down or touchdown? Get in there, Blake! :P

The "landry offense" might be out, but that doesn't mean that the start might cede to Belldozer (or a wildcat formation, perhaps???) on short yardage situations.

Then again, Belldozer was just basically holding a giant OSU sideline banner proclaiming what we were about to run on offense

EatLeadCommie
8/22/2013, 12:59 PM
He's already throwing celebrations.
http://i42.tinypic.com/az6ly.png

That's funny.

cherokeebrewer
8/22/2013, 01:10 PM
While I can certainly understand harboring some resentment toward the people who shoot at you, using derogatory terms in private is different than using them on a message board. Moreover, being shot at does not give a person a blanket license to be an a-hole. My dad was shot at in Vietnam, and he doesn't call them "gooks." He does call them Cong, perhaps recognizing that while there were indeed many "gooks" shooting at him, he also worked with a lot of them to save their country and thus can recognize the difference between the VC, the NVA, and the ARVN. Who knows. Maybe he did talk like that when he was young, but the passage of 40+ years has not turned him into a bitter, racist old fart. He actually went back on a trip a few years ago at my behest and enjoyed it, even though he poo-pooed the idea initially when I brought it up a few years prior.

And both of my brothers have been to Iraq. "Haji" is the worst thing I've heard either of them say, and that term, while not particularly PC, does not carry heavy racist connotations like "raghead" does. On a side note, I saw that some golfer got taken to task for calling some guys Pakis, which apparently is a racist term in the UK, but hell if I ever knew it was. I don't think it is in the US.

I do think this country goes overboard often in the PC arena, but flaunting one's racism with a "screw it" attitude only perpetuates the stereotype that Oklahomans are a bunch of racist rednecks. As my mother used to say, just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should. Just because you can call somebody a "gook" or a "raghead" on a public message board that represents the fans of OU doesn't mean you should.

Our nation could use more folks like yourself. Excellent post!

Jason White's Third Knee
8/22/2013, 01:23 PM
Olevet has been offending people on this board for years. Why is everyone in an uproar now? He obviously isn't going to become enlightened on this subject due to a couple of posts. Any derogatory term has ONLY the power that YOU give it.

Getting shot at, or punched in the face is far worse than firing off some slang, but I could punch a guy in the face and drop an F-bomb and get no press. Fire off a racial epithet and I won't be able to run for office. Let's all get a grip, please.

Let's talk football. Oh, and Robert Smith mentioned on ESPN a couple of days ago that TK showed some flashes of brilliance that made him really stand out.

PS- I am not running for office.

KantoSooner
8/22/2013, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I never got the Paki thing either. Pakistan, after all, means, literally, "Land of the Pakis". If it were a derogatory term, you'd think they wouldn't have used it for their country's name.

badger
8/22/2013, 01:26 PM
Third Knee nailed it --- please don't like the Internet or anyone on the Internet offend you.

BACK ON TOPIC!

Mike Gundy pulls a major copout today. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Gundy_Both_Chelf_and_Walsh_to_play_quarterback_for/20130822_93_0_STILLW422896)

"I don't feel like either one of them will be a backup for the first game."

Stoops>Gundy. What a wussy

jk the sooner fan
8/22/2013, 01:32 PM
is the N word allowed here?

since gook is

a friend wants to know......

cherokeebrewer
8/22/2013, 01:42 PM
Olevet has been offending people on this board for years.

I have not been offended, but yeah, I still think BB gets the start.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/22/2013, 02:05 PM
I have not been offended, but yeah, I still think BB gets the start.

Yet. He's a busy man. He'll get around to it.

jk the sooner fan
8/22/2013, 02:28 PM
personally i hate a QB platoon situation - but i think in this scenario - where it's clearly a "rebuilding" year - there's nothing wrong with sharing time between the both of them - let them both work with the 1's in a real game at full speed - then make the decision

i realize thats not a popular opinion but once you make a final decision - moving off of that creates even more strife than continuing the battle a couple games into the season

cleller
8/22/2013, 03:38 PM
OK, so Blevins has again said its Knight over at the KWTV.

Now, what about Bell? Can he get on the field in other ways? Just Belldozer formation, and save his for backup?

Really a tough situation for a good talent. We'll see how it shakes out by the end of the season, for sure.

8timechamps
8/22/2013, 04:26 PM
For the LOVE OF GOD...STAY ON TOPIC!

That is all.

8timechamps
8/22/2013, 04:28 PM
personally i hate a QB platoon situation - but i think in this scenario - where it's clearly a "rebuilding" year - there's nothing wrong with sharing time between the both of them - let them both work with the 1's in a real game at full speed - then make the decision

i realize thats not a popular opinion but once you make a final decision - moving off of that creates even more strife than continuing the battle a couple games into the season

I'm right there with you. I believe the saying "if you have two QBs, you have none" to be true, but in a situation like this...when the candidates seem almost too close to pick a "winner", why not let one guy separate himself on the field?

OU has three games to find the right starter, after that, I think a platoon situation would be difficult to make work.

swardboy
8/22/2013, 05:19 PM
Someone is surely getting the most reps by now in practice. Are they closed to the public?

Or does the rumor confirm the practice scene?

8timechamps
8/22/2013, 05:32 PM
Someone is surely getting the most reps by now in practice. Are they closed to the public?

Or does the rumor confirm the practice scene?

Practices have been closed (for the entire camp).

Until yesterday, SoonerSports was posting daily pictures and interviews with players...then it just stopped. Something's going on.

instigator
8/22/2013, 05:33 PM
Twitter is blowing up that it is now official. TK is the man.

BREAKING: Stoops names QB Trevor Knight starter for 2013 opener vs. Louisiana-Monroe. MORE: http://t.co/VxYVLlts3C | http://t.co/Yl9z9Ikkev

70sooner
8/22/2013, 05:44 PM
NORMAN — Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops named redshirt freshman Trevor Knight his starting quarterback for the Sooners' 2013 season opener, scheduled for Aug. 31 against Louisiana-Monroe on Owen Field.

Knight, a San Antonio native, beat out junior and once prohibitive favorite Blake Bell in Oklahoma's first quarterback battle since 2007, when future Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford won the job.

Knight becomes the Sooners' first starting quarterback not named Landry Jones since Bradford's season ending injury in the 2009 Red River Rivalry game against Texas.

Bell has rushed for 24 touchdowns over the past two seasons out of the short-yardage “Belldozer” package, when he would replace Jones in games, take a shotgun snap and plow forward for first downs and touchdowns.

Last August, Stoops announced Bell was the team's second-team quarterback, causing Drew Allen to eventually transfer to Syracuse for the 2013 season using the NCAA's postgraduate transfer rule.

Last season, Bell attempted only 16 passes, and five of them game in a 69-13 rout of hapless Florida A&M.

Knight passed for 2,092 yards with 27 touchdowns and only three interceptions — and recorded 943 yards and 15 scores on the ground — during his senior season at San Antonio's Ronald Reagan High School.

He had originally committed to Texas A&M in the spring of 2011, but switched his commitment to OU before his senior year of high school.

Knight spent the 2012 season redshirting at Oklahoma and was named as one of the Sooners' Scout Team Players of the Year.

The quarterback battle began in the spring between Bell, Knight and sophomore Kendal Thompson.

Thompson was considered a viable option until suffering a foot injury on the first day of the Sooners' preseason fall camp this month.

SoonerMarkVA
8/22/2013, 06:14 PM
Wow. I'm pretty stunned. I wonder what Bell does in response?

SoonerorLater
8/22/2013, 06:17 PM
Wow. I'm pretty stunned. I wonder what Bell does in response?

Not much he can do now. He has two years eligibility and already used a redshirt year. Tough position for to be in for BB.

Scott D
8/22/2013, 06:25 PM
As 2001 and 2005 have proven, just because someone is named the starter for the opener doesn't mean that guy will be the starter the entire season.

cherokeebrewer
8/22/2013, 06:36 PM
Does this mean 'River boat Bob' is really back? This just got a little more interesting...hang in there Blake!

swardboy
8/22/2013, 06:37 PM
Well, it will be very interesting to see how much time Blake gets against UL-Monroe. I'm inclined to think little to none.

ouwasp
8/22/2013, 06:42 PM
Gotta say, I was really impressed with a short interview clip I saw of TK a few weeks ago. I still figured Bell would get the nod... but the young one was very composed and sure did look the part.

8timechamps
8/22/2013, 06:45 PM
Does this mean 'River boat Bob' is really back? This just got a little more interesting...hang in there Blake!

Firing Coaches
Firing his mouth of in the offseason
Starting a R-Freshman over a Junior.

It does seem like something lit Bob's fire.

achiro
8/22/2013, 06:58 PM
Firing Coaches
Firing his mouth of in the offseason
Starting a R-Freshman over a Junior.

It does seem like something lit Bob's fire.

I must have missed(or forgotten) him firing his mouth off. What am I missing?

Collier11
8/22/2013, 07:02 PM
I must have missed(or forgotten) him firing his mouth off. What am I missing?

about paying players and the sec

Collier11
8/22/2013, 07:04 PM
Im proud to have had a thread jacked to this level :D

CatfishSooner
8/22/2013, 07:10 PM
I can't wait to watch TK play... I hope Bell keeps his head up; I feel bad for him, but I'm glad Stoops is (hopefully) letting the best man play

8timechamps
8/22/2013, 07:12 PM
about paying players and the sec

This

JLEW1818
8/22/2013, 07:13 PM
So Sam started as RS Freshman, as did Landry (for all but 3 games).

Trends..

Collier11
8/22/2013, 07:16 PM
so did Bomar :D

cvsooner
8/22/2013, 07:17 PM
Clearly the coaching staff sees something and frankly their track record with QBs is pretty good. A lot of Paul Thompson's struggles in 2005 were the fact that we had no line. Bomar was better equipped (a la Fran Tarkenton) to play in that scenario and make something positive happen, but he demonstrated repeatedly why the coaches picked Thompson and his cool head over Bomar.

Well, only one way to find out. Will Bell pout and sulk? Somehow I doubt it. Heck, for all that, he could sub for Millard or play tight end. He's big enough.

I also think players at OU for the most part recognize talented athletes get recruited and they can't all get on the field at once. Is Bell disappointed? Sure, he's got to be. Will he be an adult about it? Most likely.

It's pretty clear why Drew Allen decided to transfer, though. Plenty of talented QBs at OU, and Bell may still get his chance. I don't think Stoops will hesitate to pull Knight if he's struggling for whatever reason.

JLEW1818
8/22/2013, 07:26 PM
so did Bomar :D

It's crazy the amount of RS Freshman that we have started at QB in the last 8 years.

Collier11
8/22/2013, 07:27 PM
Starting Knight and pulling him has more ramifications than starting Bell and pulling him. I believe that Knight would have to be horrible to get pulled

8timechamps
8/22/2013, 07:31 PM
This was the message I got (from someone inside the program):

"Bell didn't lose the job. Trevor won it."

Thought that said a lot.

CatfishSooner
8/22/2013, 07:37 PM
It's crazy the amount of RS Freshman that we have started at QB in the last 8 years.

How Crazy??

swardboy
8/22/2013, 07:43 PM
All I know about Trevor is that he's from San Antonio, threw and ran the ball well enough to get a scholly from OU, and now he's the starting QB. Who knows what kind of a kid he is, his family, stuff like that.

Collier11
8/22/2013, 07:48 PM
RJ Washington said last November that this might happen

CatfishSooner
8/22/2013, 07:50 PM
Any chance Kendall Thompson gets back in this once he's ready to go?

Collier11
8/22/2013, 07:53 PM
I had heard (no confirmation) that they were going to have a package for Thompson, who knows

CatfishSooner
8/22/2013, 07:56 PM
I had heard (no confirmation) that they were going to have a package for Thompson, who knows

Any idea what kind of package it would be? Running; passing?? both?

SoonerNomad
8/22/2013, 08:00 PM
Third Knee nailed it --- please don't like the Internet or anyone on the Internet offend you.

BACK ON TOPIC!

Mike Gundy pulls a major copout today. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Gundy_Both_Chelf_and_Walsh_to_play_quarterback_for/20130822_93_0_STILLW422896)

Stoops>Gundy. What a wussy

I read the Coach Gundy QB article. Is he really "obligated" to give them both a chance to start? What an interesting choice of words.

Collier11
8/22/2013, 08:03 PM
Any idea what kind of package it would be? Running; passing?? both?

well again, I don't know how accurate this is but what I had heard was when we were all assuming that Bell was the QB. In that case, I had heard that Thompson would have a slash kind of package where he might play WR, some QB option, etc...

CatfishSooner
8/22/2013, 08:18 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if KT got right back in the mix...

Widescreen
8/22/2013, 08:19 PM
Starting Knight and pulling him has more ramifications than starting Bell and pulling him. I believe that Knight would have to be horrible to get pulled
True. I think Knight will have a pretty good sized leash. Especially with a young QB, you don't want to damage their psyche by yanking them too early.

CatfishSooner
8/22/2013, 08:21 PM
Do we still use the Belldozer package??

Collier11
8/22/2013, 08:21 PM
We will likely see a lot of easy passes for a few games, although Knight has been in the system for 2 years now so maybe/hopefully he wont need held back

CatfishSooner
8/22/2013, 08:22 PM
We will likely see a lot of easy passes for a few games, although Knight has been in the system for 2 years now so maybe/hopefully he wont need held back

How is his arm strength?

Collier11
8/22/2013, 08:26 PM
Knight can make every single throw and has a great spiral from the reports

birddog
8/22/2013, 09:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdD2a6XPXjQ

SoCalBigRed
8/22/2013, 09:57 PM
Best news I've heard all day.

MyT Oklahoma
8/22/2013, 10:35 PM
It was a dark and stormy night, suddenly Bob Stoops named his new quarterback.

Congratulations to TK. BB and KT hang in there because 'ya never know.

Now let's play some football.

CatfishSooner
8/22/2013, 11:20 PM

nice

8timechamps
8/22/2013, 11:30 PM

The play at the 1:00 marks is what I'm excited about. It's clear he can throw, but being able to run is going to be fun to watch!

LiteBright
8/23/2013, 06:03 AM
Wonder if BB and TK would "name Stoops as coach" making him play the Chinese fire drill game and at the last minute. Stoops looks like he's next in line to compete for first string (hanging by a thread) with this constantly repeated motivational strategy.

ashley
8/23/2013, 06:59 AM
It has been clear to the coaches since last spring who the QB would be.. In fact I posted hints last spring and early in fall camp. He won it by running the offense better and being much, much more mobile.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/23/2013, 07:50 AM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9586396

That is what Robert Smith reported a few days ago.

I have heard nothing but raves about TK. Last year I kept hearing about this kid running the scout team, and how impressive he was. Sounds good to me. We're gonna need help this year.

cleller
8/23/2013, 08:42 AM

I liked the play at 0:42. He goes from rolling out to releasing the ball in the blink of an eye. Tough for the D to even notice. Then, he threads it into a very tight and crowded end zone.

Either his team was already up by some amount, or Knight has some supreme confidence in his arm.

C&CDean
8/23/2013, 09:20 AM

You know what was weird about watching this? He hit his receivers perfectly in stride...wait...wait some more...and they ****ing CAUGHT THE BALL!!1!

Novel concept. Did we recruit any of those guys?

KantoSooner
8/23/2013, 10:46 AM
Here's hoping he's the the product of diabolical experiments that combined the DNA of Peyton Manning and Joe Namath with that of Johnny Unitas and Jim Thorp.
When I was at the spring practice game, however, he looked like the third best QB on the field and I wasn't alone in that assesment.
Anyone have insight into that? Has he had a super big spring and summer?

olevetonahill
8/23/2013, 11:09 AM
Here's hoping he's the the product of diabolical experiments that combined the DNA of Peyton Manning and Joe Namath with that of Johnny Unitas and Jim Thorp.
When I was at the spring practice game, however, he looked like the third best QB on the field and I wasn't alone in that assesment.
Anyone have insight into that? Has he had a super big spring and summer?

I was more impressed by KT than either Knight or Bell. But then again Im not a Judge of talent Ima Beer drankin, Non PC, Minority offendin Fan

achiro
8/23/2013, 11:14 AM
Question: if he ran the scout team last year, did he get more snaps than Bell through the year?

sooner_born_1960
8/23/2013, 11:36 AM
I was more impressed by KT than either Knight or Bell. But then again Im not a Judge of talent Ima Beer drankin, Non PC, Minority offendin Fan
The people of Oriental persuasion are in the minority?

olevetonahill
8/23/2013, 11:39 AM
The people of Oriental persuasion are in the minority?

I reckon, Hell if I know anymore

rock on sooner
8/23/2013, 11:42 AM
Watchin' TK's highlight reel is quite the deal....3 step,
5 step drops, quick release, touch pass, fast balls into
tight coverage, roll out either way and accurate throws,
deep balls, scrambles...package looks pretty complete
to this untrained eye...

EatLeadCommie
8/23/2013, 12:12 PM
I gave up long ago trying to tell much from a HS kid's QB highlight reel. I remember being excited for Landry Jones because he looked like he could run. He also had moderate arm strength, a la Heupel, but accuracy. Turned out he was slow as an ox and had a rocket arm. He was accurate though, when he wasn't in brainfart mode.

SoonerInHSV
8/23/2013, 12:33 PM
The problem with highlight reels is that they only show the ones where he made the right decisions and made the accurate throws. With a QB you can get a good feel for his arm strength and mobility, but you don't see his inaccurate throws and bad decisions because they get left off.

So as long as you use them to judge those things they show they are valuable. If you look at a highlight reel and say "wow he always makes great throws," you probably need to rethink what the reel is telling you.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/23/2013, 12:36 PM
I gave up long ago trying to tell much from a HS kid's QB highlight reel. I remember being excited for Landry Jones because he looked like he could run. He also had moderate arm strength, a la Heupel, but accuracy. Turned out he was slow as an ox and had a rocket arm. He was accurate though, when he wasn't in brainfart mode.

Donta Hickson was also the best running back in high school history based on his highlight videos, but that didn't work out too well at the collegiate level. Highlight videos are for the devil!!!

PalmBeachSooner
8/23/2013, 12:36 PM
Watchin' TK's highlight reel is quite the deal....3 step,
5 step drops, quick release, touch pass, fast balls into
tight coverage, roll out either way and accurate throws,
deep balls, scrambles...package looks pretty complete
to this untrained eye...

I think it's kind of weird that you are looking at his package. :-)

rock on sooner
8/23/2013, 12:47 PM
The problem with highlight reels is that they only show the ones where he made the right decisions and made the accurate throws. With a QB you can get a good feel for his arm strength and mobility, but you don't see his inaccurate throws and bad decisions because they get left off.

So as long as you use them to judge those things they show they are valuable. If you look at a highlight reel and say "wow he always makes great throws," you probably need to rethink what the reel is telling you.

Fair assessment there...but I guess seeing that many great
decisions and accurate throws leads me to believe there is
enough to offer a schollie and have him run the scout team
for a redshirt season then pick him to start at QB for a legendary
college football program after competing with a returning junior
QB that has 24 touchdowns to his credit...jus sayin...

Widescreen
8/23/2013, 01:55 PM
You could put together a highlight reel of Landry Jones' college career that would blow people away. It's what happens between the highlights that tell the real story. Solid QB but nothing more.

SoonerInHSV
8/23/2013, 02:57 PM

If you work through the numbers a five minute highlight reel probably represents less than 5% of the total plays in a senior year. Lots of screw ups can be in that other 95%.

Is a good highlight reel worth taking a look at a player? Sure. I would want to see the guy in real time though before I made him an offer.

badger
8/23/2013, 03:07 PM
Landry highlight reel: Three highlights of Landry, then a fourth showing Blake Bell getting the first down/touchdown :P

rock on sooner
8/23/2013, 03:35 PM
If you work through the numbers a five minute highlight reel probably represents less than 5% of the total plays in a senior year. Lots of screw ups can be in that other 95%.

Is a good highlight reel worth taking a look at a player? Sure. I would want to see the guy in real time though before I made him an offer.

To state the obvious, check with his recruiting coach and ask how many times
he saw TK play. Then check with the coaching staff and ask how often TK was
observed running the scout time. I'm sure you'll find that they have film on TK
in real time, uncut and at full speed. Geez, you guys seem to think that high-
light reels are the end all be all. I don't...they make for good viewing and fair
evaluations, though, and can help to find good athletes.

SoonerKnight
8/23/2013, 03:36 PM
Funny how no one is talking about the fact that Knight lives in the film room. The quotes from other team mates address this in some of the articles I have read.

Makes sense that Knight is running the offense and reading the defense quicker. Don't forget people thought Bradford would cause us to lose a lot of games.

SoonerForLife92
8/24/2013, 12:44 AM
How far do you guys think Kendal would have progressed at this point had he not been injured? Depth chart position etc. ?

8timechamps
8/24/2013, 01:00 AM
Question: if he ran the scout team last year, did he get more snaps than Bell through the year?

Probably about the same. In the past, that's just been a small element of weekly practice. Bell would have continued to get some snaps with the first team through out the week, so they probably got around the same number of snaps, but not a ton.

8timechamps
8/24/2013, 01:01 AM
How far do you guys think Kendal would have progressed at this point had he not been injured? Depth chart position etc. ?

Gotta think he would have been right there, down to the wire. The way Stoops talks though, I wouldn't be surprised if KT doesn't see some packages installed to utilize his talents.

SoonerForLife92
8/24/2013, 01:24 AM
Gotta think he would have been right there, down to the wire. The way Stoops talks though, I wouldn't be surprised if KT doesn't see some packages installed to utilize his talents.

I hope he does. He is not the biggest guy but he sure looks athletic on film and in person. I have a class with him and he is a pretty cool guy. Hope he has a chance to put his talents on the field.

mainline13
8/24/2013, 09:50 AM

The enire Interwebs at your fingertips, and you won't take an extra minute to make sure that you spell Uwe's name correctly?

It's Uwe von Schamann (for future reference).

CatfishSooner
8/24/2013, 10:23 AM
Kendall Thompson would have been named the started if he had stayed healthy...

SouthFortySooner
8/24/2013, 10:39 AM

Oh, don't worry. In the game thread the Know-it-All-Knumbskulls will show up to criticize the other 95%. Their tact will be, AFTER each play they will inform us if he ran he should have thrown, if he threw he should have ran. The coaches will not call the correct play. The wrong players are on the field. They knew alllllll along who should play, etc ad nauseum.

Its telling this group is absent during the offseason. They have nothing to add and know nothing.

8timechamps
8/24/2013, 01:59 PM
I hope he does. He is not the biggest guy but he sure looks athletic on film and in person. I have a class with him and he is a pretty cool guy. Hope he has a chance to put his talents on the field.

I'd be surprised if he didn't see the field this year. Not sure what his role would be, but he is the kind of player the coaches surely want to utilize.