PDA

View Full Version : Who's overrated?

8timechamps
8/16/2013, 07:15 PM
I know pre-season polls mean nothing, but there are plenty of top ten teams getting hyped...which one is the most over-hyped? Every year, there is at least one team in the pre-season top 10 that has no business being there. It doesn't have to be a top 10 team that's ranked too high, maybe it's just a team that is getting so much hype, and will end up failing to meet expectations. who is it this year?

I'm going with Ohio State.

They are ranked so highly this pre-season based on two things: last year's record, and the coach. I don't necessarily think that Ohio State will be bad by any means, but I am not buying their lofty ranking. The Buckeyes lost a lot of play-makers on defense, and I've never been that impressed with Braxton Miller at QB. The absolute best thing the Buckeyes have going for them this year is the fact that they play in the Big-10. However, Michigan shouldn't be overlooked, and I also think there are a couple of teams that could surprise this year.

There are others, but tOSU would be the most overrated in my view.

cobrapilot
8/16/2013, 09:40 PM
Texass, as always. They are practicing the the airconditioned bubble again. Look very athletic, but little execution

Curly Bill
8/16/2013, 09:43 PM
Ohio State and aTm

EatLeadCommie
8/16/2013, 09:51 PM
The Big XII. As OU and TX go, so goes the rest of the conference. And OU and TX are going to be mediocre this year again.

Salt City Sooner
8/17/2013, 12:05 AM
I know pre-season polls mean nothing, but there are plenty of top ten teams getting hyped...which one is the most over-hyped? Every year, there is at least one team in the pre-season top 10 that has no business being there. It doesn't have to be a top 10 team that's ranked too high, maybe it's just a team that is getting so much hype, and will end up failing to meet expectations. who is it this year?

I'm going with Ohio State.

They are ranked so highly this pre-season based on two things: last year's record, and the coach. I don't necessarily think that Ohio State will be bad by any means, but I am not buying their lofty ranking. The Buckeyes lost a lot of play-makers on defense, and I've never been that impressed with Braxton Miller at QB. The absolute best thing the Buckeyes have going for them this year is the fact that they play in the Big-10. However, Michigan shouldn't be overlooked, and I also think there are a couple of teams that could surprise this year.

There are others, but tOSU would be the most overrated in my view.

That's the 3rd thing that needs to be factored in in a big way when talking about tOSU. They only play 3 ranked teams total, & Michigan is the highest one at 17 (Northwestern at 22 & Wisky @ 23 are the other 2).

I definitely agree about the tOSU team itself being overrated. There's just not a lot on the slate that you'd expect to expose them, at least on paper.

I also agree w/ Bill about A&M. Unless someone like an Ole Miss improves significantly, they've got a 2 game schedule.

stoopified
8/17/2013, 10:33 AM
SI has UT way overrated,no way they are #11

tulsaoilerfan
8/17/2013, 05:09 PM
SI has UT way overrated,no way they are #11

What about Baylor being ahead of OU? Seems like a stretch to me

champions77
8/17/2013, 08:10 PM
Okie lite .

They lost 5 games last year, and for 2013 lost The best
Back in the conference in Joseph Randall, lost 3 offensive lineman, one of their best qb's that transferred (Lunt) top 3 defensive ends, the very good corner Broderick Brown, a linebacker and have new offensive and defensive coordinators..... And the AP has this bunch as #13?

CatfishSooner
8/17/2013, 11:28 PM
I don't mind startin high...prefer it to startin # 1

Peeb
8/18/2013, 01:49 PM
The Big XII. As OU and TX go, so goes the rest of the conference. And OU and TX are going to be mediocre this year again.
With exactly zero Big 12 teams in the top ten for the first time in a zillion years, I'm not really feeling it when it comes to being in the 'overrated' conference.

According to ESPN, there are precisely two conferences: (1) almighty SEC, and (2) a bunch of losers.

I honestly have never felt quite as uncertain about the commencement of a season as far as know who will pan out and who will bust, but I like the sooners and the cowboys pretty well. Both teams have some unknown variables, but I am optimistic for both, and suspect Stoops will get some mileage out of the low media expectations at this point.