PDA

View Full Version : We're #19!, We're #19!

SoonerNomad
8/14/2013, 11:24 AM
si.com pre-season top 25 has us come in at 19th, behind Texas, TCU and Baylor, yes Baylor (don't they have a new QB too; don't they have a worse defense than ours).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130814/sports-illustrated-preseason-top-25/?sct=hp_t1t_a1

I seem to recall Sooners were ranked 19th in the preseason poll in 2000.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/14/2013, 11:27 AM
How on earth can Texas be ranked above anyone is mind-boggling...

KantoSooner
8/14/2013, 11:28 AM
As Mr. Burns would say, "Excellent! It's all starting to come together."

badger
8/14/2013, 11:38 AM
Hey... is someone missing from that top 25? :stunned:[hairGel]:eddie::les:

KantoSooner
8/14/2013, 12:02 PM
Frankly, the absence of OSU is nothing short of bizarre. I don't have to like them to know that they are, for example, far superior to VT.

SoonerMarkVA
8/14/2013, 12:05 PM
Oh, please, let that AP poll have us at 19. With that and the girls winning the SB NC, I'll really be feeling the magic then!

Oh, and another similarity. It'll be M. Stoops' 2nd year with the D! OK, it's a stretch, but when you're reading the tea leaves, you can't ignore anything.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/14/2013, 12:48 PM
So is Orange Power in meltdown mode over the slight, you know the team supposed to win the B12-1-2-??+2???

badger
8/14/2013, 12:52 PM
So is Orange Power in meltdown mode over the slight, you know the team supposed to win the B12-1-2-??+2???

Maybe??? (http://www.orangepower.com/threads/si-top-25-no-osu-in-top-25.170419/) it seems more like DGAS to me

SoonerNomad
8/14/2013, 01:00 PM
This is more evidence that NO ONE knows what is going to happen in the Big 12 this year. It is as open a race as I can remember. One team may step up and dominate all fall, but sitting here today, no one knows which team that is.

badger
8/14/2013, 01:06 PM
This is more evidence that NO ONE knows what is going to happen in the Big 12 this year.

Wrong! Everyone knows Kansas will finish last

Herr Scholz
8/14/2013, 01:17 PM
How on earth can Texas be ranked above anyone is mind-boggling...
So you have us at #120?

badger
8/14/2013, 01:23 PM
So you have us at #120?

119, just above Kansas... barely (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/10/27/3563638/kansas-texas-2012-score-results).

cleller
8/14/2013, 01:30 PM
Looks like they lazily looked at how the teams finished out last season, except for Texas. That must have involved money changing hands.

Georgia too low, ND too high based on the way things look right now, IMO.

Herr Scholz
8/14/2013, 01:52 PM
119, just above Kansas... barely (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/10/27/3563638/kansas-texas-2012-score-results).

Well, dang, I could've sworn that we beat 9 teams last year. I was hoping for a bump to #110 at least. I think that's reasonable.

badger
8/14/2013, 02:51 PM
Well, dang, I could've sworn that we beat 9 teams last year. I was hoping for a bump to #110 at least. I think that's reasonable.

OKLAST would like to remind you that while you beat them last year, they've beaten you X out of the last X

EDIT: Just looked it up (http://www.collegefootball.bz/oklahoma-state/opponents/texas), it's 2 out of the last 3.

achiro
8/14/2013, 07:25 PM
Texas shouldn't be overlooked this year.

achiro
8/14/2013, 07:27 PM
OU will beat Texass this year.

8timechamps
8/14/2013, 08:07 PM
SI seems to always differ quite a bit from the consensus thinking, I remember one year they had Arizona as pre-season #1 and most polls had them #15 or below. Pre-season polls are garbage anyway, but this one is really wacky.

I've seen Baylor all over the board (and even unranked).

boomersooner28
8/14/2013, 08:50 PM
If we lose to OSU, Texas, TCU, and Baylor, I would hate to be Bob Stoops. Ain't no way in hell he would let that happen.

boomersooner28
8/14/2013, 08:53 PM
I'm the biggest pessimist on this board and I have us winning the Big 12. : /

Peeb
8/15/2013, 12:39 AM

Unfortunately, idiotic preseason polls do matter. Recruits care, and sadly it all plays into the so-called "eyeball test" when people are figuring out who to rank at the end of the season. If you are perceived as 'coming out of nowhere' then you are penalized.

Any pre-2013 season poll that kept OU or OSU out of the top 25 I would call dumb. Either team may fail to live up to this expectation, but given their talent, leadership, and recent performance, it is silly to overlook either.

Just me- if your hatred of orange/black causes you to throw up a little in your mouth so that you don't want to hear all this, well- it happens. It's all good.

BTW, I totally agree that OU is (IMO) very well situated to have a special year.

Since71ASooner4Life
8/15/2013, 03:21 AM
honestly does anyone here really believe we have legitimate reasons to be optimistic this year? I guess we have about as good a chance as any other team in the league, but in terms of experience and talent level of returning players, there are more question marks this year than any year I can remember during the Stoops era. 4 year starter QB gone, and numerous seniors from DL gone (although they weren't all that good to begin with) is good enough for starters to bring the viability of any team into question. Let's throw in LB's as another area of unproven ability ..... is that enough? Arguably receivers is a strength but if you haven't got someone who can get the ball too them it isn't. We haven't seen much of Bell throwing, but has the little we have seen got anyone excited? RB/FB looks solid. Overall, I see nothing which separates us from the rest of the conference in a meaningful way, and that isn't who we used to be nor who we like to think we still are. Hope I'm wrong, but #19 is about where I expect us to be in January

Sooner91ATL
8/15/2013, 04:08 AM
After the decade we had, expectations will be high every year. But there are just too many question marks all around right now to have realistic hope of a special season. It is nostalgic to recall that the last time we were ranked this low preseason, we won it all. But we had much more talent back then especially on defense, a Roy Hobbes at QB, the Natural from nowhere who would not be denied, and we needed some luck along the way along with zero key injuries. I don't think there is any reasonable expectation for us to win more than 8 games this year on paper, at this point. Time will tell. The biggest problem is that the team has lost intensity and spirit, as pointed publicly out by no less than 3 members of Sooner Football royalty: Tillman, Bosworth, and Switzer. If this team, through personal commitment to be better, team cohesion, and scheme tweaks, can get some momentum, good things can happen and a B12 championship is well within reach. It is interesting to me that we could be an 11-win team or an 8-win team. With my expectations so low, it will make for an enjoyable season win or lose.

SoonerForLife92
8/15/2013, 11:15 PM
honestly does anyone here really believe we have legitimate reasons to be optimistic this year? I guess we have about as good a chance as any other team in the league, but in terms of experience and talent level of returning players, there are more question marks this year than any year I can remember during the Stoops era. 4 year starter QB gone, and numerous seniors from DL gone (although they weren't all that good to begin with) is good enough for starters to bring the viability of any team into question. Let's throw in LB's as another area of unproven ability ..... is that enough? Arguably receivers is a strength but if you haven't got someone who can get the ball too them it isn't. We haven't seen much of Bell throwing, but has the little we have seen got anyone excited? RB/FB looks solid. Overall, I see nothing which separates us from the rest of the conference in a meaningful way, and that isn't who we used to be nor who we like to think we still are. Hope I'm wrong, but #19 is about where I expect us to be in January

I am excited to see Blake Bell. I believe he can mix it up with the running game and fast paced offense since he won't have to come off of the field. It is disappointing to lose a 4 year starter sure.. But how many Big 12 championships have we won with diff QBs?

I watched the RR Rivalry game from last year the other day. I cant remember if Bell was playing against the starting defense or not, but I liked what I saw from his throwing regardless. His throwing stats may not look like much and he only threw 4 or so, so it is hard to get optimistic. However every throw I saw was on target and the ones not caught were the receivers fault.

Now our defense on the other hand... that is what has me worried.

badger
8/16/2013, 09:22 AM
Just me- if your hatred of orange/black causes you to throw up a little in your mouth so that you don't want to hear all this, well- it happens. It's all good.

SF.com has reasonable Pokes :)

8timechamps
8/16/2013, 06:51 PM
Unfortunately, idiotic preseason polls do matter. Recruits care, and sadly it all plays into the so-called "eyeball test" when people are figuring out who to rank at the end of the season. If you are perceived as 'coming out of nowhere' then you are penalized.

Any pre-2013 season poll that kept OU or OSU out of the top 25 I would call dumb. Either team may fail to live up to this expectation, but given their talent, leadership, and recent performance, it is silly to overlook either.

BTW, I totally agree that OU is (IMO) very well situated to have a special year.

I see where you're coming from, but I really don't think recruits give a **** about pre-season polls, why would they? I also don't think it makes any difference where a team is ranked pre-season (in relationship to where they get ranked at the end of the season). Teams in the power conferences don't get penalized for "coming out of nowhere" (see Auburn 2010) if they take care of business. Small conference probably do though.

I just don't think pre-season polls mean much of anything. They're for the fans and media.

I do completely agree that any poll that excludes OSU is just dumb. That's just a lack of any real knowledge of the teams.

8timechamps
8/16/2013, 07:01 PM

Here's some reasons to be optimistic this year:

* There is a TON of talent/experience coming back on offense. I'm not sure there is a more experienced O-line in the conference.
* Excellent depth at WR and RB.
* Even though there is a question mark at QB, Stoops has never put a bad player at that position. The two guys in the running are both pretty damn good.
* We have a very solid kicker (don't laugh, that could make a difference).
* New blood on the coaching staff...never hurts.
* Even though most of the question marks are on defense, sometimes fresh faces make all the difference in the world.
* We know that OU has the best cornerback in the conference (maybe the country).
* Mike Stoops has seen all the offenses in the league, he knows what to expect first hand. Nothing should surprise him this year.
* We're Oklahoma, we always have a chance.

There are a lot of unknowns with this team, especially on defense. However, I am actually more excited by this year's defensive line than I was last year. Last year, we knew what was coming back along the line, and outside of King, there wasn't much to be excited about. This year, we have a lot of young talent, and everyone is fighting hard for a spot. Competition makes players better...and there's a lot of that on defense.

If Bell can't throw (and there's really nothing to support that), Stoops isn't going to start him. If he can (and I fully believe he can), and he beats out Knight, he'll start. Either way (Bell or Knight), we have something we haven't had in Norman in a long time; a mobile QB that can throw.

Looking around the league, there isn't a team that OU can't beat (same is true for their OOC schedule). It's going to come down to execution and coaching. OU has as good a chance as anyone (and better than most) to win the conference again. The absolute worst I see happening this year is three losses. But, I really think we'll finish the year with only one loss, and be in a BCS bowl.

JLEW1818
8/17/2013, 09:54 AM
@Jake_Trotter: First time in 63 years of AP poll history #OKState ranked ahead of OU to start the season.

achiro
8/17/2013, 10:10 AM
Here's some reasons to be optimistic this year:

* There is a TON of talent/experience coming back on offense. I'm not sure there is a more experienced O-line in the conference.
* Excellent depth at WR and RB.
* Even though there is a question mark at QB, Stoops has never put a bad player at that position. The two guys in the running are both pretty damn good.
* We have a very solid kicker (don't laugh, that could make a difference).
* New blood on the coaching staff...never hurts.
* Even though most of the question marks are on defense, sometimes fresh faces make all the difference in the world.
* We know that OU has the best cornerback in the conference (maybe the country).
* Mike Stoops has seen all the offenses in the league, he knows what to expect first hand. Nothing should surprise him this year.
* We're Oklahoma, we always have a chance.

There are a lot of unknowns with this team, especially on defense. However, I am actually more excited by this year's defensive line than I was last year. Last year, we knew what was coming back along the line, and outside of King, there wasn't much to be excited about. This year, we have a lot of young talent, and everyone is fighting hard for a spot. Competition makes players better...and there's a lot of that on defense.

If Bell can't throw (and there's really no reason to think otherwise), Stoops isn't going to start him. If he can (and I fully believe he can), and he beats out Knight, he'll start. Either way (Bell or Knight), we have something we haven't had in Norman in a long time; a mobile QB that can throw.

Looking around the league, there isn't a team that OU can't beat (same is true for their OOC schedule). It's going to come down to execution and coaching. OU has as good a chance as anyone (and better than most) to win the conference again. The absolute worst I see happening this year is three losses. But, I really think we'll finish the year with only one loss, and be in a BCS bowl.
I agree with this. I haven't been able to figure out why so many are so down on OU this year. Anyway here's a question(maybe should start a new thread).
With 2 QB's similar in ability(mobile with an arm) regardless of who starts, will they take more chances with the plays knowing that if the started goes down, they don't have to open a new play book for the backup? Not that I am saying they take silly risks, just not as conservative as a team without a good backup.

8timechamps
8/17/2013, 06:33 PM
I agree with this. I haven't been able to figure out why so many are so down on OU this year. Anyway here's a question(maybe should start a new thread).
With 2 QB's similar in ability(mobile with an arm) regardless of who starts, will they take more chances with the plays knowing that if the started goes down, they don't have to open a new play book for the backup? Not that I am saying they take silly risks, just not as conservative as a team without a good backup.

I'm thinking along the same lines. Not that Stoops is going to view the starter as expendable, but I think it's easier to call certain plays more often when you know you have a very reliable back up.

It's hard to know though. This is the first time in Stoops tenure that he's really had two legitimate dual threat QBs on the roster. Or, at least two that are competing at such a high level.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
8/17/2013, 07:47 PM
AP has us at #16. We're behind Tejas and Poke. Furthermore, that means the Big12 doesn't have a team in the Top 10.

Sabanball
8/17/2013, 10:26 PM
AP has us at #16. We're behind Tejas and Poke. Furthermore, that means the Big12 doesn't have a team in the Top 10.

First time since 1992 that has happened for either the current Big 12 or old Big 8 teams--though OSU would be in my preseason top 10.

Peeb
8/18/2013, 01:40 PM
First time since 1992 that has happened for either the current Big 12 or old Big 8 teams--though OSU would be in my preseason top 10.

New coordinators on both sides of the ball have many folks leery. An entirely rational concern, but the S.I. poll? We shall see...