PDA

View Full Version : took the Heartland Flyer Saturday

stoopified
8/12/2013, 09:24 AM
My wjfe,our 2 boys, and I had never ridden the train before so we took the plunge. It was just a daytrip for us,we rode to FT Worth,arrived at 1250 and returned on the 1725 train. Going down we were a bit disconcerted to realize we would be traveling BACKWARDS to Ft. Worth . Once we adjusted to facing north while traveling south the trip wet well. We were on the upper level and had agreat view albeit of where we had been rather than where we were going .I hadn't realized prior to the trip that we would pass thru the Arbuckles,at times looking at rock face and outcropping just mere feet from my window.Saw a lot of scenery that was new to mewas quite enjoyable. I was/ am puzzled by the fact that friedht trains apparently have rail priority over the Flyer.We were held and shunted on spurs or sidings to allow freight haulers to pass.On occassions when there were parallel track to ours,it was an eye opener to see trains whizzing pass seemingly inches away.On a sidenote I have no idea why anyone would pay money to ride the lower level as the vibration and noise is more noticeable and the view sucks.

I was amazed at just how slow the train moved as went up the incline as we passed through the Arbuckles,I swear at times I felt I could walk faster.It did however enhance sightseeing.There were times when there was signifigant shaking and leaning as we rounded curves,my boys got a kick out of that.The seating was roomy and comfortable,even had a leg rest,which sadly I didn't notice until the return trip.I fell asleep a couple of times only to be awakened by one of boys,they think it is funny to startle me awake. Didn't eat anything on the train so I can't comment on food quality or price.

I have to say I was very impressed with Ft. Worth upon arrival.This was my first time actually in Ft. Worth,having passed by on many occassions in the past.We were able to travel from the terminal via the Molly Trolly(for free) through the enire downtown area past numerous shopping venues and resturants.We got of the trolly numerous times to get a closer look at some sights and also to eat.I am here to tell you I am a big fan of sightseeing in airconditioned comfort.I was previously unaware of how many 40+ story skydcrapers there were in FW,I got a stiff neck checking them out. After eating and riding around sightseeing it was time to head back.I do not understand the admonishment to be at the track a half hour before departure because their is no check in or security screening.

The ride home was uneventful but easier on the neck as we were actually facing forwaed on the return trip.I must say that having freight trains pass you at high speed at night can be even more startling.We were delayed by stops to allow freight haulers priority going back as well and in fact arrived about a half hour behind our posted arrivall time,I think at least in part because of those stops. We arrived back at the Norman Depot in the midst of some sort of party.There was live band and beer and I'm fairly sure other stronger drink and I think I also detected burning ganja,That proably gave from the Sheriff station across the street as part of disposaol of old evidence(I'M SURE). :)

In any case I recommend the Heartland Flyer to anyone who would like to experience train travel.

En_Fuego
8/12/2013, 10:41 AM
I'm going to have to check that out. I've rode up to the top of Pikes Peak on the cog railway and it was a trip of a lifetime. Do they serve alcoholic drinks on the train ?

oudanny
8/12/2013, 11:07 AM
Thanks for sharing your experiences. As a kid in the '60s, my brother and I rode the train (Santa Fe) from Tulsa to Ardmore to visit my uncle. We changed trains in OKC. The terminal seemed huge to a 10 year old. I remember passing through Norman and also sitting on the sidings while the freight trains went by. I've wanted to take the Heartland Flyer to FW. Your trip has peaked my interest again.

badger
8/12/2013, 11:41 AM
There is discussion about passenger train service from Tulsa to OKC. If it happened, it would be awesome (especially if a gameday bus continued to Norman from the station) but for now, just talk, nothing major in the works.

stoopified
8/12/2013, 03:52 PM
I'm going to have to check that out. I've rode up to the top of Pikes Peak on the cog railway and it was a trip of a lifetime. Do they serve alcoholic drinks on the train ? Yes,there was group of ladies behind us who got Bloody Marys.I would guess the choice is limited,I believe they also had beer.

SoonerStormchaser
8/12/2013, 04:13 PM
Outside of the track that Amtrak actually OWNS up in the Northeast, they rent the track from the freight companies...thus they don't get priority. However, it was actually worse ten years ago...with the freight companies causing the trains to be delayed by hours on end by passing train after train and making them wait. Then Uncle Sam stepped in and told them to play fair.

My wife and I took the HF and Texas Eagle down to my parents house in San Marcos last Labor Day...it was ok. But the trains over here in Europe put anything Amtrak has to shame.

Sooner24
8/12/2013, 09:07 PM
Wife and I took the the train to San Antonio a couple of years ago. Ate dinner in the dining car and had a meal that was much better than I anticipated. Didn't rent a car the three days we were there. Stayed at the Marriott River Center and just took the bus or rode the river boat the whole weekend. Would do it again.

KantoSooner
8/13/2013, 09:26 AM
. But the trains over here in Europe put anything Amtrak has to shame.

And the public trans (trains linked to subways linked to buses, linked to street cars etc) in Japan makes Europe look quaintly primitive.

I lived there, off and on, for over 20 years without a car. Only had to rent one when I had more crap to haul than I could strap on myself or other family members. It was truly wonderful to go to a sporting event or concert or dinner out and never have to worry about parking or having one drink too many or the weather, etc.

Plus you end up walking a mile or two a day and doing 20 or so flights of stairs without thinking about it. I gained 10 lbs the first month I was back over here.

stoopified
8/13/2013, 10:06 AM
And the public trans (trains linked to subways linked to buses, linked to street cars etc) in Japan makes Europe look quaintly primitive.

I lived there, off and on, for over 20 years without a car. Only had to rent one when I had more crap to haul than I could strap on myself or other family members. It was truly wonderful to go to a sporting event or concert or dinner out and never have to worry about parking or having one drink too many or the weather, etc.

Plus you end up walking a mile or two a day and doing 20 or so flights of stairs without thinking about it. I gained 10 lbs the first month I was back over here.Yeah but they don't have Sooner football

If Americans were not so much in love with our cars and the freedom it provides we would proably have much netter public transport options. This actually hits close to home for me as I became legally blind 22 years ago.Living in Moore it sucks not having any public transport.Ilong fora mtero tram that would connect the Greater OKC area.Doubt I will ever live to seethat happen.

KantoSooner
8/13/2013, 11:27 AM
You make a strong point. I actually contacted Joe C when I lived in Japan to see if there was a legal option available to see OU football (this was before slingboxes, etc). He kindly offered me the exclusive broadcast rights to Japan for the low, low price of only $1,000,000 per game. I declined. (watching games on the little ESPN game tracker and listening in to some radio station out of Dallas at 4 a.m. REALLY sucked. But it did allow me an excuse to get drunk and then sleep Sunday away (dateline)).

College football was a big plus in my life when I returned here.

Taxman71
8/15/2013, 10:52 AM
There is discussion about passenger train service from Tulsa to OKC. If it happened, it would be awesome (especially if a gameday bus continued to Norman from the station) but for now, just talk, nothing major in the works.

Way too many obstacles ($) to make that happen right now. I wish they could get passenger service from OKC to KC (aka the broken link). Then, you could ride the train from south Texas all the way to the North/Northeast (without having to get bused from OKC to KC).

KantoSooner
8/15/2013, 11:26 AM
Msybe we could get Elon Musk to put in a demo hyperloop between OKC and TUL. 20 mins or so between downtowns would be a draw.

Jerk
8/21/2013, 07:25 AM

The current track from OKC to TUL is crap. BNSF sold it to a shortline RR years ago and they don't have the resources of a Class I railroad to maintain it. Mostly jointed rail. 25 mph top speed for freight, so perhaps 35 for passenger, with numerous "slow orders' due to track conditions. All dark territory (no signal lights), and a 90 degree F heat restriction that reduces max speed to 10 mph.

Lott's Bandana
8/21/2013, 08:26 AM
Now that you've done it, S'fied, do it again on a pretty weekend in January. That area where you climbed in the Arbuckles is called Blue Canyon and there are Bald Eagles abundant along the Wa****a there. No roads into that very beautiful part of Oklahoma.

The train leaves Norman everyday around 9am and returns from Ft Worth everyday around 9pm. Makes for a great Saturday overnighter, as the FTW station is about a block from the SE corner of Sundance Square.

Essentially, you're in FTW from about 1pm Saturday to 5:30pm Sunday. Good times and much more relaxing than driving.

EDIT: Seems the river I mentioned has the poopy word in it.

stoopified
8/21/2013, 01:16 PM
Now that you've done it, S'fied, do it again on a pretty weekend in January. That area where you climbed in the Arbuckles is called Blue Canyon and there are Bald Eagles abundant along the Wa****a there. No roads into that very beautiful part of Oklahoma.

The train leaves Norman everyday around 9am and returns from Ft Worth everyday around 9pm. Makes for a great Saturday overnighter, as the FTW station is about a block from the SE corner of Sundance Square.

Essentially, you're in FTW from about 1pm Saturday to 5:30pm Sunday. Good times and much more relaxing than driving.

EDIT: Seems the river I mentioned has the poopy word in it.Thanks for the info,yeah we will go back.We heard a lot of good stuff about the zoo in FW and my boys(Ryan 9,Jason 6) are dying to go.I figure that an overnight stay and second day return is just the ticket.

MsProudSooner
8/21/2013, 02:31 PM
Can you do a one day trip from FTW to OKC and back?

KantoSooner
8/21/2013, 02:45 PM
I'm going to have to check that out. I've rode up to the top of Pikes Peak on the cog railway and it was a trip of a lifetime. Do they serve alcoholic drinks on the train ?

you can do what I always did on my commute home to Conn from NYC: buy a coupla cold ones for the ride. Or, if you've got a buddy, get a bottle or two of wine and plastic glasses. Might or might not be fully legal, but, there's one conductor on board and he's got a lot of ground to cover. Dont' be obnoxious and you'll do fine.

Lott's Bandana
8/21/2013, 05:56 PM
Can you do a one day trip from FTW to OKC and back?

Yep. Leave in the morning, FTW around 12:30pm. Leave FTW again at 5:30pm. Long enough to shop or go to the Kimbell.

stoopified
8/22/2013, 10:39 AM
Yep. Leave in the morning, FTW around 12:30pm. Leave FTW again at 5:30pm. Long enough to shop or go to the Kimbell.Exacty,that is what we did on that first trip.We called it a scouting trip.