PDA

View Full Version : Sooners' Metoyer looks to rebound in Year 2

Mazeppa
8/9/2013, 08:50 PM
Sooners' Metoyer looks to rebound in Year 2
August, 9, 2013

By Brandon Chatmon | ESPN.com

NORMAN, Okla. -- The ball floated toward the two competitors as they both battled for position to pluck it out of the air. Seconds later, Oklahoma receiver Trey Metoyer leaped over his teammate to pluck the ball from the sky with ease. It was a spectacular play during Metoyer’s first spring game in Norman and one of the reasons he entered the 2012 season with plenty of preseason accolades.

In his first official game in a Sooners’ uniform, Metoyer was in a similar situation and, again, outfought the defender to make the catch in the 2012 season opener against UTEP. But the would-be reception went down as an incompletion instead as Metoyer was out-of-bounds when he made the catch after not running his route with the precision required along the sidelines.

These are two drastically different examples of Metoyer’s journey.

In his first 18 months at OU, the sophomore receiver starred during the spring of 2012, struggled during his true freshman season and heads into this season looking to help replace Kenny Stills and Justin Brown in OU’s lineup.

“Success wasn’t coming to him the way he wanted,” receivers coach Jay Norvell said. “He was frustrated. He’s used to playing well at a really high level. When you walk in that door [at OU], you better come in here expecting to come and play, or you’re not really at the right place. That’s the kind of mentality he had walking in the door and when he didn’t have that kind of success, it was frustrating."

Metoyer entered the 2012 season as the Big 12’s preseason newcomer of the year and started his first four games in crimson and cream. Then, after Fresno State transfer Jalen Saunders was cleared to play before the Texas game, Metoyer tumbled down the depth chart, finishing with just 17 receptions for 148 yards and a touchdown. Ten of those catches came before Saunders’ was cleared in mid-October.

Yet, Saunders and Metoyer have become close friends, even spending time after practice during the spring to hone their skills. Saunders, a senior, has made a point to take the youngster under his wing.

“Last fall he was starting then kind of faded away from the offense,” Saunders said. “It hurt him a little bit because he was expecting a lot of things. He was taking himself out of the picture because he had high expectations and was feeling bad about himself. This spring me and him sat down and talked a lot, I kind of took him under my wing like a younger brother. I treat him like my younger brother because I want him to be the best out there.”

Heading into his second season in Norman, Metoyer is battling fellow sophomore Durron Neal, senior Lacoltan Bester and others to earn a starting spot at outside receiver for the Sooners. Metoyer's talent is readily apparent and his consistency is slowly starting to come to the forefront.

“I think it’s coming together for Trey,” Norvell said. “I think he understands our offense, I think he has been around our players and quarterbacks. He is getting to the point where he becomes more confident in what he’s doing.”

If Metoyer progresses to the point that Norvell considers him among the Sooners’ most consistent receivers and puts him in the starting lineup, Big 12 defenses might have to take notice.

“He’s going to be one of the best receivers, probably, to ever come through OU,” cornerback Cortez Johnson said. “Trey Metoyer has the best hands on the team, that’s why every play [during practice] I’m trying to go against him, trying to get myself better and get myself reps against an opponent like that.”

As the projected starter at cornerback opposite Aaron Colvin for the Sooners, Johnson should know what Metoyer brings to the table. He has had several one-on-one battles with Metoyer during the spring, summer and early in preseason camp, resulting in his high praise for the Whitehouse, Texas, native.

“He runs good routes, he knows how to get in your cushion, open you up,” Johnson said. “[He] has good footwork, great hands, he’s just a great player. He has a lot to work on still, but he’s going to be pretty good.”

En_Fuego
8/10/2013, 11:02 AM
Who's Kenny Stills

SoonerForLife92
8/10/2013, 02:08 PM
It's sad because this guy has so much athleticism and ability, but I still cannot see him starting this year. He will keep the competition for the starting role at a high level but I personally think if Jaz Reynolds has REALLY gotten back in the good graces of the coaches like everyone has said and practices at a high enough level he could get the nod for the start. If anything it might be like last year where Trey starts the season and loses his starting role.

However I really DO hope he starts and can contribute big time with deep passes, etc.

SoCalBigRed
8/10/2013, 02:51 PM
He was a true freshman last year. Can't see him starting, yet his fellow players are heaping praise?

Sad?

I don't know. Maybe there's just something I'm missing here.

SoonerForLife92
8/10/2013, 03:32 PM
He was a true freshman last year. Can't see him starting, yet his fellow players are heaping praise?

Sad?

I don't know. Maybe there's just something I'm missing here.

Like I said... I could see MAYBE see him starting in the beginning. However he might lose his spot again. Did you even read what I said? I personally think Jaz will start if he works hard enough, but that is a big IF.

All of the d-line men are having heaping praise from their players and coaches as well, doesn't mean they are all gonna start. Roy Finch is getting much praise for improving his work ethic and getting stronger, is he gonna start? Now after re-reading what Cortez Johnson has said about Metoyer, that changes my mind some. However we do not yet know how good of a corner Cortez really is at the high level of passing in this league either... It is just my opinion. As I said I really DO hope he starts and can be amazing. Preseason hype means nothing as evidenced by last year.