PDA

View Full Version : If BIG XII falls apart, do you pefer OU in B1G, SEC or Pac 12?

champions77
8/8/2013, 05:35 PM
Apparently Conference Realignment is still underway, at least that's what Joe C. recently told Joe Schad. So with the Big XII now being the fifth best conference in the land, down from the second best 3-4 years ago, rumors persist, mostly from the B1G, that they still have OU and texas on their wish list. With the BIG XII conference now perceived by many as being pretty average, there are probably some conferences that feel they might have a chance to grab the two heavyweights from the BIG XII. Some even question if the GOR could legally be enforced.

I thought Boren turning down the SEC (Mizzou took OU's place) was a mistake then, and I certainly think it was a mistake now. Can't find a more stable, better managed, more prestiguous conference anywhere. The name is magical to big time recruits. Stoops won't say it, but the SEC has a lot to do with OU struggling with recruiting the last few years.

8timechamps
8/8/2013, 06:08 PM
Stoops won't say it, because it's no different now than it's ever been with the SEC. Nothing new to say.

The GOR is airtight. The absolute only way it's going to be broken is if the conference falls below the minimum teams required, and that's probably not going to happen because nobody wants to be the first one out the door, and possible left hanging.

I'm not saying the Big XII is viable long-term, because I think there will only be 4 major conferences when the dust finally settles. But talk of anything happening in the next 5 years is just talk.

I'm thankful OU isn't in the SEC, but that's a discussion for another thread.

If you think OU not being in the SEC has hurt recruiting, what the heck do you think a move to the Big 10 would do? Even if Texas came along, leaving all of the other Texas schools would make a major impact in recruiting. Not to mention how boring that brand of football is, no thanks.

I guess I'd chose the PAC over the others.

En_Fuego
8/8/2013, 07:43 PM
Can't figure out why we are such a PAC 12 wannabe ..... Really

arcman46
8/8/2013, 07:47 PM
Considering that I split my time between Utah and Oregon, I would love to see us in the PAC. Pure selfish motives. So that I could actually see us play.

8timechamps
8/8/2013, 08:26 PM
Considering that I split my time between Utah and Oregon, I would love to see us in the PAC. Pure selfish motives. So that I could actually see us play.

Agreed. I'm in Colorado, so the PAC is an entirely selfish choice.

sooner46
8/8/2013, 08:38 PM
The Big 8.

Yes I know that’s not possible, but you know where my heart is.

SEC, a more “Prestigious conference”, I say they are the bottom of the barrow, the trash.

I want to win national championships but not at the cost of integrity and honor, and that is what we give up going the SEC. That’s just my opinion.

stoopified
8/9/2013, 07:46 AM
None of the above,I say go indepedent.

olevetonahill
8/9/2013, 08:15 AM
None of the above,I say go indepedent.

http://www.olevetpossehideout.com/forums/images/smilies/yes.gif

jkjsooner
8/9/2013, 09:07 AM
Can someone explain our motivation for signing a GOR?

I could understand if we did it before NU, A&M, and Missouri left. I wish we had an air-tight GOR then. But by the time we signed it pretty much anyone who was a big threat to leave had already left.

Texas of course would be a huge blow but we're kind of tied to Texas so that really isn't a threat to us. Texas has more power than we do but they've expressed a desire to keep OU and Texas together.

It seems to me that we signed a deal to help the teams that aren't as marketable. Did we do it to make the Big 12 look better to WVU? Did we do it in exchange for a better piece of the revenue pie?

jkjsooner
8/9/2013, 09:13 AM
Stoops won't say it, because it's no different now than it's ever been with the SEC. Nothing new to say.

What do you mean nothing new to say? We used to win recruiting battles with A&M. Now that is heavily in their favor. Other SEC schools are recruiting Texas better than they ever did before.

We also get some kids out of Missouri but I don't see that happening anymore.

It is definitely different now.

A&M sold their soul to the devil. They will pay a price at times but they will also reap many rewards.

jkjsooner
8/9/2013, 09:19 AM
By the way, if I had my dream scenario we'd pull A&M and Missouri back in and add Arkansas and LSU.

Of course that would never happen but it would be a very good conference with a tight geographical core. Maybe we can convince Arkansas and LSU that they are slaves to Birmingham. ;-)

But, seriously, if the Big 12 and SWC were more proactive and merged before the SEC expanded in the early '90s we could have pulled in Arkansas with us and maybe that would have stabilized our conference. Instead the SEC made the game changing moves adding Arkansas and South Carolina and finding a loophole in the rules (meant for Division 1AA) to allow a conference championship game.

kbsooner21
8/9/2013, 09:37 AM
SEC SEC SEC

champions77
8/9/2013, 09:56 AM
Can someone explain our motivation for signing a GOR?

I could understand if we did it before NU, A&M, and Missouri left. I wish we had an air-tight GOR then. But by the time we signed it pretty much anyone who was a big threat to leave had already left.

Texas of course would be a huge blow but we're kind of tied to Texas so that really isn't a threat to us. Texas has more power than we do but they've expressed a desire to keep OU and Texas together.

It seems to me that we signed a deal to help the teams that aren't as marketable. Did we do it to make the Big 12 look better to WVU? Did we do it in exchange for a better piece of the revenue pie?

Now that is an excellent point. Damage done, so why then limit what OU can do? It's always a good thing to have options.
GOR? Probably another Boren idea. David Boren has done a fantastic job as President of OU, but everytime he opened his mouth during all of the conference realignment shuffle, he said something really stupid. He was the driving force for running Mizzou out of the conference after his "Wallflower" statement. Boren wanted the PAC 12, until we got the cold shoulder after Texas wouldn't go.

I think OU's administration is comittted to going where Texas goes. In the pecking order, Texas is much more important to OU than osu, but the osu concern posed to SEC's Mike Slive was the "politically correct" thing to say. Thought for sure Boren was running for office again when I heard that. Most OU fans I know would leave osu in a heartbeat if he meant putting OU in a better place. I don't think Boren realizes that fact.

We live in a "diminished conference" today. Sad but true. Now fifth best. Makes you wonder if it doesn't change how the next TV contract will look like?

Lott's Bandana
8/9/2013, 10:34 AM
http://i.imgur.com/C8ug8mL.jpg

jkjsooner
8/9/2013, 11:01 AM
We live in a "diminished conference" today. Sad but true. Now fifth best. Makes you wonder if it doesn't change how the next TV contract will look like?

You better believe it will change our next contract.

The thing I worry about is that we do have options today. But what options would we have had, had this happened in 1998? There are always ups and downs in every program. The late '90s might have been an extreme example but we'll have more mediocre periods. I hope we're not forced to look for a new home when we're in the next down cycle.

People forget but plenty of people considered OU a has-been in the '90s and there was a half-generation of fans who aren't from Oklahoma and weren't educated on college football history who considered OU a never-was. Memory is short for a lot of people.

8timechamps
8/9/2013, 05:52 PM
What do you mean nothing new to say? We used to win recruiting battles with A&M. Now that is heavily in their favor. Other SEC schools are recruiting Texas better than they ever did before.

A&M sold their soul to the devil. They will pay a price at times but they will also reap many rewards.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we've never won every recruiting battle with A&M. Since A&M joined the SEC, they have done a better job of recruiting, but where are you getting that it's "heavily" in their favor? Are they ahead of OU? Yes. Are they killing OU in every battle? No.

Also, LSU has always recruited Texas, Alabama has always recruited Texas, Auburn has always recruited Texas, etc., etc. This is nothing new. What exactly do you want Stoops to say that is new?

I spend entirely too much time following recruiting. I know an embarrassingly large amount about who is targeted from OU, where they are and why they are being targeted. I know who OU's competition is on the trail and who is a real threat. Maybe you know something I don't, because I think you are overestimating the "SEC effect" on Texas recruiting. Outside of defensive linemen, the SEC isn't doing anything different.

8timechamps
8/9/2013, 05:54 PM
Now that is an excellent point. Damage done, so why then limit what OU can do? It's always a good thing to have options.
GOR? Probably another Boren idea. David Boren has done a fantastic job as President of OU, but everytime he opened his mouth during all of the conference realignment shuffle, he said something really stupid. He was the driving force for running Mizzou out of the conference after his "Wallflower" statement. Boren wanted the PAC 12, until we got the cold shoulder after Texas wouldn't go.

I think OU's administration is comittted to going where Texas goes. In the pecking order, Texas is much more important to OU than osu, but the osu concern posed to SEC's Mike Slive was the "politically correct" thing to say. Thought for sure Boren was running for office again when I heard that. Most OU fans I know would leave osu in a heartbeat if he meant putting OU in a better place. I don't think Boren realizes that fact.

You are clueless.

Scott D
8/9/2013, 06:33 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we've never won every recruiting battle with A&M. Since A&M joined the SEC, they have done a better job of recruiting, but where are you getting that it's "heavily" in their favor? Are they ahead of OU? Yes. Are they killing OU in every battle? No.

Also, LSU has always recruited Texas, Alabama has always recruited Texas, Auburn has always recruited Texas, etc., etc. This is nothing new. What exactly do you want Stoops to say that is new?

I spend entirely too much time following recruiting. I know an embarrassingly large amount about who is targeted from OU, where they are and why they are being targeted. I know who OU's competition is on the trail and who is a real threat. Maybe you know something I don't, because I think you are overestimating the "SEC effect" on Texas recruiting. Outside of defensive linemen, the SEC isn't doing anything different.

Or to be fair, the only real effect that the "SEC Effect" has had in recruiting in Texas is that Texas isn't getting as choice commits as they were before. But that in all reality has to do more with Texas' record in the post Colt McCoy era than it does with the SEC or aTm.

8timechamps
8/9/2013, 07:06 PM
Or to be fair, the only real effect that the "SEC Effect" has had in recruiting in Texas is that Texas isn't getting as choice commits as they were before. But that in all reality has to do more with Texas' record in the post Colt McCoy era than it does with the SEC or aTm.

Yep.

There is so much at play when it comes to recruiting, and conference affiliation is only a small part of it. I'm not denying that it has an effect, just not as big as the media leads the public to believe.

While Texas can still pretty much cherry pick the state, they have seen more trouble lately. But, I think you are 100% correct, that has more to do with Texas' mediocre few seasons than it does the SEC.

champions77
8/9/2013, 08:15 PM
You are clueless.

Clueless? Or are you in denial? We lost two recruits last year that normally would be OU locks, Jordan Mastrogiovanni and Justin Manning, both OU legacy recruits that we undoubtedly would have signed if not for the allure of playing in the very best conference. Maybe was not all of the reason, but it was a big part of it.

When A&M joined the SEC, the media asked their President, Dr. R. Bowen Loftin why the SEC? One of his reasons was that they felt that Texas HS athletes would be attracted to the Nation's premier conference. Since joining, A&M has put together one fabulous class, and their 2014 class is ranked 7th in the country by Scout. OU? Ranked 26th. In Oklahoma, two of the top 5 HS players in the state are going to play in the SEC, one at LSU and one at Alabama. I wouldn't be shocked to see Steven Parker from Tulsa go to the SEC.

So go ahead, base your logic on everything but reality. Wishing or hoping something were not true can't change reality. But you go right ahead and do what makes you feel better. Time will eventually lead you to the right conclusion.

So what conference are we better than? Mid-American and the Sunbelt? I'll stick with us being the fifth best.

Only in the fifth best conference in the nation could a team that lost five games the year before be the media pick to win the Big XII in 2013. Pathetic

8timechamps
8/9/2013, 10:24 PM
Clueless? Or are you in denial? We lost two recruits last year that normally would be OU locks, Jordan Mastrogiovanni and Justin Manning, both OU legacy recruits that we undoubtedly would have signed if not for the allure of playing in the very best conference. Maybe was not all of the reason, but it was a big part of it.

First, how do you know they would have been OU recruits "normally"? You don't. There is one constant in college football recruiting, and it's that you can't assume any kid will go to a specific school. Anyone that truly believes a kid is a "lock" prior to National Signing Day simply has never really followed recruiting. So, I don't assume any kid to be a lock, legacy or not (by the way, are you sure Mastrogiovanni was a legacy to OU? That's the first I've ever heard of that. I'm not saying it's not true, just that I've never heard about it).

Manning, a defensive lineman, wanted to play at A&M. Was it solely because of the SEC? Who knows, but as I already mentioned, the SEC has been the bigger draw for defensive linemen. As for Mastro, he flipped his commit well after the Sooners stopped playing linebackers. SEC or not, it's going to be hard to attract linebackers if you don't play them.

You brought up two players that chose A&M over OU. What about the guys that chose OU over A&M? How do you explain that? Or, better yet, how do you explain any player that chose OU over an SEC team? There are plenty.

When A&M joined the SEC, the media asked their President, Dr. R. Bowen Loftin why the SEC? One of his reasons was that they felt that Texas HS athletes would be attracted to the Nation's premier conference. Since joining, A&M has put together one fabulous class, and their 2014 class is ranked 7th in the country by Scout. OU? Ranked 26th. In Oklahoma, two of the top 5 HS players in the state are going to play in the SEC, one at LSU and one at Alabama. I wouldn't be shocked to see Steven Parker from Tulsa go to the SEC.

What do you expect the A&M president to say? Seriously. That means nothing..

If you place your entire importance on how the services rank recruiting classes, then I'm done even trying to argue my point. You do realize that each team has different needs every year, and that they don't all recruit the same positions every year? You also realize that players rating or star value is what makes up the rankings index on those service, right? Surely you realize that the services aren't always accurate in their predictions and ratings systems, right?

Since you do seem to place a lot of importance on where the service rates teams, does it even matter to you that OU has 12 commits compared to A&M's 14, or that depending on which service you look at, you get different class rankings. Rivals ranks A&M's class at #13.

Since we're on the subject, explain to me why 2 of the top 4 class ratings (including the #1 class in all services) are NON-SEC teams? Don't they know that the SEC draw is so powerful?

By the way, prepare to be surprised, Parker isn't leaving the state.

So go ahead, base your logic on everything but reality. Wishing or hoping something were not true can't change reality. But you go right ahead and do what makes you feel better. Time will eventually lead you to the right conclusion.

So what conference are we better than? Mid-American and the Sunbelt? I'll stick with us being the fifth best.

You can't be serious. Really. If you want to argue that the SEC is the best football conference in the country, I'm not going to put up a lot of debate (but I will say it's not the toughest top to bottom), but after the SEC, it's the Big XII. Please, tell me about the greatness of the PAC or the Big 10, or the ACC. Explain to me how you arrive at those conferences being better than the Big XII?

Only in the fifth best conference in the nation could a team that lost five games the year before be the media pick to win the Big XII in 2013. Pathetic

Well, if the media says it, it must be true! Have you ever paid attention to what the media predicts in the pre-season? That's a serious question. I don't think you have.

Look, I get that you hate that the Sooners are in the Big XII. You've made that clear (on plenty of occasions), but it's not changing anytime soon. So, you can either continue to bad mouth the Big XII (incorrectly), and **** and moan about what didn't happen, but it's not going to make for a very fun season at your house. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

champions77
8/9/2013, 11:23 PM
Gosh if you really in your heart believe the Big XII is the second best conference, that speaks volumes on how really clueless you are. There is
Not anyone, anywhere that follows college fb that would agree with you,

You will not find another conference in this country where the media would pick a team that lost five games, four of them in the conference, and see that team picked to win the crown the
Next year. No, it doesn't 't
Mean it will happen that they
Picked Osu, it's just the fact they did is what makes it so troubling for
Our conference and yet another indication of how far we have fallen.

So you go ahead and keep your head in the sand. I'm hope when you next come up for air that the Big XII will be relevant again.

soonerdo
8/10/2013, 01:53 AM
Any where besides the SEC..don't want to go through the Arkansas thing again.

SoonerKnight
8/10/2013, 01:54 AM
Gosh if you really in your heart believe the Big XII is the second best conference, that speaks volumes on how really clueless you are. There is

You will not find another conference in this country where the media would pick a team that lost five games, four of them in the conference, and see that team picked to win the crown the

So you go ahead and keep your head in the sand. I'm hope when you next come up for air that the Big XII will be relevant again.

You are basing this on media opinion. Who care what the media predicts!!! Before OSU the media always gave love to Saxet!!!!!

The SEC is not the toughest top to bottom!!! The PAC-10 when they were such I do not believe sent as many teams to a bowl game as our conference.

As for where they end up. I would say PAC is better fit. The SEC would not be to bad for us. The big Ten is boring!!!

jkjsooner
8/10/2013, 07:34 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we've never won every recruiting battle with A&M.

When did I ever say we won every recruiting battle with A&M? I said we won our share of battles. There is a huge difference between those two statements.

jkjsooner
8/10/2013, 07:35 AM

It's hard to argue that this has a measurable impact on Texas and none on OU. That just doesn't seem logical to me - especially considering our much weaker than normal class last year.

Lott's Bandana
8/10/2013, 10:54 AM

You are referencing the same media that picked a team #1 in the country last year that went on to lose 6 games...how did that work out for Kiffin's boys?

Sportswriters and such have their place, but they are still, and will always be, the kids that couldn't play the game.

FaninAma
8/10/2013, 11:51 AM
Big 10 then Pac 12. The SEC has too many smarmy, unethical coaches.

SoonerorLater
8/10/2013, 11:52 AM
The SEC. It just seems like a more natural fit for OU from a football culture perspective. Additionally all games played either Eastern or Central Time is an added plus. The thought night games on the West Coast is just a non-starter for me.

PLaw
8/10/2013, 12:33 PM

Do you think Sumlin may be a better recruiter than Bob?

Bummer

champions77
8/10/2013, 12:41 PM
The SEC. It just seems like a more natural fit for OU from a football culture perspective. Additionally all games played either Eastern or Central Time is an added plus. The thought night games on the West Coast is just a non-starter for me.

Sure the SEC is a more natural fit. The same folks that think the West Virginia acqusition doesn't make sense geographically are some of the same ones that want us in the PAC 12. Sending our sports teams around to two different times zones? When would our ladies Volleyball team return from a Wednesday night game in Seattle, Thursday afternoon? Heck Norman is south of five SEC schools. We are pretty far south. We border three SEC states, and within 75 miles of bordering four.

I have to wonder what percentage of the ones against the SEC went out to Tuscaloosa in 2003? Best environment, nicest fans, great passion. Best game day experience I have ever had. SEC teams coming in here would make Norman crazy fun. And yes, we could compete. And these concerns with cheating in the SEC? And how many times have we been on probation and we are pointing fingers at the SEC? I don't get it.

MichiganSooner
8/10/2013, 01:17 PM
^^^^This is a reasonable post. ^^^^.
But is the Big 12 about to implode?

TXSooner
8/10/2013, 01:24 PM
agree with the geographical argument above. don't like the SEC but it would likely be the best choice. nice rivalries could develop with TAMU, Ark, LSU, Mizz... and we continue OU/tx as a non-conference game if tx goes elsewhere.

champions77
8/10/2013, 01:33 PM
I promise there are those in Austin second guessing their decision to not want the SEC. They see the recruits that A&M is getting and how far our conference has fallen and wonder "what if". Speculation continues that the B1G wants Texas, and OU.

8timechamps
8/10/2013, 04:36 PM

Whoops, you're wrong again: LINK (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21360187/cbssportscom-conference-power-rankings-pre-bowl-edition)

I'll concede that a lot of polls have the Big XII 3rd, but there are polls that rank them second. The fact that you rank them fifth is moronic. You have yet to support your insane comment. You're talking out of your ***.

Do you back up anything you say with fact?

As I said in a prior post, that fact that you put so much emphasis on what the media tells you is astounding.

8timechamps
8/10/2013, 04:37 PM
When did I ever say we won every recruiting battle with A&M? I said we won our share of battles. There is a huge difference between those two statements.

Fair enough.

Scott D
8/10/2013, 04:59 PM
It's hard to argue that this has a measurable impact on Texas and none on OU. That just doesn't seem logical to me - especially considering our much weaker than normal class last year.

I don't put stock into recruiting classes when the kids haven't set foot on a campus other than visits. If anything a class can't be truly measured for 3-5 years. Part of the current rankings are based on the flavor of the month, part of the rankings are based on potential of a player. That being said, Texas sucking is impacting Texas more than Texas sucking is impacting OU. I really wouldn't use last year's class as much of a measuring stick other than to say that's why it was time for Shipp and the OL coaches to go.

8timechamps
8/10/2013, 05:07 PM
^^^^This is a reasonable post. ^^^^.
But is the Big 12 about to implode?

He's been butt-hurt since the whole realignment thing started. It's strange though, because he'll start off with a reasonable thought, then proceed to **** all over it with the "Big XII sucks" nonsense.

champions77
8/10/2013, 05:32 PM
Moronic? So in your world, all is well with the Big XII? Not diminished, we are just as strong now as we were 4 years ago with Nebraska, Mizzou, CU and A&M?

I guess the only real way to judge the health of our conference is to look back in a few years. I still contend that unlike the SEC, B1G, PAC 12 and the ACC, we are a team or two away from collapse. Hopefully are league champion(s) this year will not both be embarrassed in the bowl games this year.

8timechamps
8/10/2013, 05:45 PM
Moronic? So in your world, all is well with the Big XII? Not diminished, we are just as strong now as we were 4 years ago with Nebraska, Mizzou, CU and A&M?

I guess the only real way to judge the health of our conference is to look back in a few years. I still contend that unlike the SEC, B1G, PAC 12 and the ACC, we are a team or two away from collapse. Hopefully are league champion(s) this year will not both be embarrassed in the bowl games this year.

Okay, I'll retract "moronic", and replace it with "odd". I do agree that the conference isn't as strong as it was 4 years ago, however, your constant comments about the conference being the "fifth best" are odd. Very odd.

champions77
8/10/2013, 06:22 PM
My position that the Big XII is the fifth best conference is closer to being reality than your 2nd best, I can guarantee you that. Poll the folks that post on here and you will see that Sir you will be the ONLY one that thinks that today, the Big XII is the second strongest conference, Your belief is odd, or you are in denial. Take your pick.

Breadburner
8/10/2013, 06:49 PM
SEC ....

8timechamps
8/10/2013, 08:38 PM
My position that the Big XII is the fifth best conference is closer to being reality than your 2nd best, I can guarantee you that. Poll the folks that post on here and you will see that Sir you will be the ONLY one that thinks that today, the Big XII is the second strongest conference, Your belief is odd, or you are in denial. Take your pick.

There you go again.

What are you basing your comment on? How are you in a position to guarantee that? I don't have to poll anyone, go to google (or whatever search engine you like) and simply search "Conference Power Rankings". You are a believer in the media, you can see for yourself what they say. Based on that, YOU are the one that's off in your belief.

MichiganSooner
8/11/2013, 10:36 AM

5th best. Are you the ACC commissioner in disguise?

SoonerorLater
8/11/2013, 12:46 PM
This map probably shows best why Oklahoma would be a good fit in the SEC.

http://espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=frontpage&pollId=3855713

Lott's Bandana
8/11/2013, 01:38 PM
This map probably shows best why Oklahoma would be a good fit in the SEC.

http://espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=frontpage&pollId=3855713

Texas kind of surprised me...then I remembered all the Cowboys fans.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/11/2013, 05:40 PM
I don't expect for other sports to affect the decision, but I'm a big OU wrestling fan.

SEC has NOTHING expect Missouri. They wrestled with mid-majors, e.g. Northern Iowa, Western Michigan, for a conference title.

Pac 12 has a wrestling conference with 6 teams: Ore St, Ari St, Stanford, Boise St, Cal Poly, and one other I'm not remembering. Maybe CSU Bakersfield.

But the Big 10 has all the power: Penn St, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Nebraska, Ohio St, Michigan, Wisconsin. Just imagine if OU and OSU joined. Not much difference between conference and national title. Iowa St would be only one missing.

bluedogok
8/11/2013, 07:55 PM
Texas kind of surprised me...then I remembered all the Cowboys fans.
There are also a ton of transplants in DFW, Houston, San Antonio and Austin who have no interest in college football, I knew of many who never understood why college football was so huge but then they came from markets where pro teams (in all sports) have existed for almost 100 years. Most didn't understand that until the Dodgers moved west pro sports didn't much exist west (or south) of St. Louis. Pro sports was also not omnipresent on TV or radio back when our parents and grandparents developed their allegiances that were passed down in families.

Most brought pro allegiances from the east coast or midwest and went to schools where if football existed it was an afterthought.

MichiganSooner
8/11/2013, 08:20 PM
Big 12 is not imploding. Why do we even have this thread?

Sabanball
8/11/2013, 10:59 PM
Oklahoma had its chance to be in the SEC, but at this point I really think that ship has sailed. Our next expansion thrust will be eastward into the Carolinas and/or Virginia.

Sabanball
8/11/2013, 11:14 PM
Sure the SEC is a more natural fit. The same folks that think the West Virginia acqusition doesn't make sense geographically are some of the same ones that want us in the PAC 12. Sending our sports teams around to two different times zones? When would our ladies Volleyball team return from a Wednesday night game in Seattle, Thursday afternoon? Heck Norman is south of five SEC schools. We are pretty far south. We border three SEC states, and within 75 miles of bordering four.

I have to wonder what percentage of the ones against the SEC went out to Tuscaloosa in 2003? Best environment, nicest fans, great passion. Best game day experience I have ever had. SEC teams coming in here would make Norman crazy fun. And yes, we could compete. And these concerns with cheating in the SEC? And how many times have we been on probation and we are pointing fingers at the SEC? I don't get it.

Even with a poorly coached team just put on NCAA probation, Bama fans overtook Norman back in 2002--from what I understand they broke all the records for a visiting fan base and even dwarfed any previous showing by Nebraska fans. Had you joined the SEC two yrs ago, you would getting that every season from us and/or LSU. Some of you may not like us, but we definitely know how to travel and spend money.

When it's all said and done and we go to 4 superconferences, you guys(Thanks to Pres. Boren) will more than likely be in some sort of conference with the PAC 12 teams and I assure you that those fans won't even come close to travelling as well as fan bases in the SEC do. Heck ,I 'd bet money right now that Ole Miss would send more fans and RV's to Norman than USC would.

champions77
8/12/2013, 07:41 AM
Even with a poorly coached team just put on NCAA probation, Bama fans overtook Norman back in 2002--from what I understand they broke all the records for a visiting fan base and even dwarfed any previous showing by Nebraska fans. Had you joined the SEC two yrs ago, you would getting that every season from us and/or LSU. Some of you may not like us, but we definitely know how to travel and spend money.

When it's all said and done and we go to 4 superconferences, you guys(Thanks to Pres. Boren) will more than likely be in some sort of conference with the PAC 12 teams and I assure you that those fans won't even come close to travelling as well as fan bases in the SEC do. Heck ,I 'd bet money right now that Ole Miss would send more fans and RV's to Norman than USC would.

+1 You are right, that ship has probably sailed. For some reason, the OU fan base never got excited about the prospect of joining the SEC. But it all starts and ends with our Administration. If David Boren liked the SEC, I am sure that he could have made a compelling case for it, and then the OU fanbase would have too. Afterall, he is a very respected, powerful figure in this state. I know Boren couched it as "we are going to stick with osu" but I really think our disinterest was due to Texas's disinterest in the SEC. We have been in UT's corner from the very start of the BIG XII, voting alongside them on most every decision that has come along. That game is very important to OU, both monetarily as well as having that connection to Texas for recruiting and our vast Alumni down there. If Texas had a sudden change of heart regarding the SEC, I would be very surprised if OU didn't too. I still believe the BIG XII is vulnerable, with or without the GOR. You can't say the same thing for the SEC. That stability is what attracted Mizzou. Schools in the SEC stay in the SEC.

badger
8/12/2013, 10:27 AM

Let's see how this upcoming football season shapes up before jumping to any conclusions on which conference is strongest. I think there's some very overrated teams that will get upset early

champions77
8/12/2013, 11:42 AM
Let's see how this upcoming football season shapes up before jumping to any conclusions on which conference is strongest. I think there's some very overrated teams that will get upset early

Sure, you are right, there are always upsets, but it's just my opinion, like everyone else on here, it'a an opinion. I see where Athlon's has the Big XII as the fourth best conference, maybe we are. I picked the ACC over us on the strength of Clemson, Florida State, Miami and Viginia Tech.

badger
8/12/2013, 11:57 AM
I picked the ACC over us on the strength of Clemson, Florida State, Miami and Viginia Tech.

Man, I bet 3 out of 4 of those (and if we offered Virginia too, Va Tech would come as well) would go to the Big 12 if it weren't for the insane $50 mil buyout the ACC has now :(

Louisville, in retrospect, would have been a nice addition instead of/in addition to West Virginia. Alas, that ship has sailed and they are now bound by the ACC's insane buyout too :(

SoonerorLater
8/12/2013, 12:35 PM
You will always hear rumblings but I think it is going to be unlikely we see any large change in conference alignment among the major conferences for a good long while. Just too expensive. If there is then it will have to come from rule change from an overiding authority.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/12/2013, 12:48 PM
I live in SEC country and can tell you that it is nothing that OU as an institution should be associated with. I grew up with OU football, but OU is much more than a football team. To me Bobby Petrino is the prototypical sec scumbag coach and I have no doubt he'll be back coaching in the sec within 3 years. The only reason piggy fired him is that he was using state funds to keep his honey around.

Dan Thompson
8/12/2013, 01:58 PM
PAC-12, so these west coast teams can see what we are made of and to get into recruiting on the west coast.

8timechamps
8/12/2013, 04:17 PM
Sure, you are right, there are always upsets, but it's just my opinion, like everyone else on here, it'a an opinion. I see where Athlon's has the Big XII as the fourth best conference, maybe we are. I picked the ACC over us on the strength of Clemson, Florida State, Miami and Viginia Tech.

You make a good point, but in the end, I think Miami and VT don't match up to the #3 or #4 team in the Big XII. This year, there are 3 teams in the Big XII that look to be average or below:

Iowa State
West Virginia
Kansas

The only other team that could be in that category is Texas Tech, but other than those, the conference has a lot of pretty darn good teams. I think the Big XII is down this year over last year, but not by much.

jkjsooner
8/12/2013, 04:40 PM
Louisville, in retrospect, would have been a nice addition instead of/in addition to West Virginia. Alas, that ship has sailed and they are now bound by the ACC's insane buyout too :(

I've been saying Louisville for about 10 years. I wished we would have made that move.

WVU was a great pick up for football and basketball. I just don't see this arrangement lasting considering the geographical issues involved.

Sabanball
8/12/2013, 09:39 PM
I've been saying Louisville for about 10 years. I wished we would have made that move.

WVU was a great pick up for football and basketball. I just don't see this arrangement lasting considering the geographical issues involved.

I agree. Culturally and geographically, WV would have been a better fit in the SEC, and in fact they petitioned for membership in our conference before accepting an invite from the Big 12. They were turned down and the rationale was they don't bring any major tv markets(eyeballs) to the table. Likewise, they don't bring that to your conference and my guess is also that your conference and the mountaineers will eventually part ways--for that reasons and others(probably one of which will be doing something to p*ss off T*xas)

champions77
8/13/2013, 08:26 AM
I agree. Culturally and geographically, WV would have been a better fit in the SEC, and in fact they petitioned for membership in our conference before accepting an invite from the Big 12. They were turned down and the rationale was they don't bring any major tv markets(eyeballs) to the table. Likewise, they don't bring that to your conference and my guess is also that your conference and the mountaineers will eventually part ways--for that reasons and others(probably one of which will be doing something to p*ss off T*xas)

I see that you live in Gadsden Sabanball. Curious as to your interest in OU?

badger
8/13/2013, 09:00 AM
I've been saying Louisville for about 10 years.

I probably wouldn't have said it all 10 years --- they were mediocre-to-crappy under Kraggg :(

jkjsooner
8/13/2013, 09:41 AM
I probably wouldn't have said it all 10 years --- they were mediocre-to-crappy under Kraggg :(

I wouldn't necessarily be looking at it from a year to year perspective.

They were pretty decent back in the '90s as well. All in all they've been a pretty decent football program and a really good basketball program. They're not a great geographical fit but much better than some other schools thrown around and they give us some inroads into the southeast.

jkjsooner
8/13/2013, 09:47 AM

WVU is hard to pin down culturally. It's a pretty easy drive from Morgantown to Pittsburgh. Most West Virginians who like the NFL are Steelers or Redskins fans. I don't think anyone would consider that culturally similar to the south. Despite their rural Appalachian reputation, from what I've heard most people in West Virginia identify more with the north than south - at least in the northern part of the state.

Anyway, I can't see SEC schools agreeing to play in the snow in Morgantown in November.

I think WVU really belongs in the ACC or the Big 10. I'd say ACC since Pitt and to a lesser extent VT are now there. Big 10 would give border rivalries between them and Ohio State and Maryland - although for the life of me I can't see why the Big 10 wanted Maryland.

Speaking of that last part, I just don't get the infatuation with media markets whether it's DC (Maryland) or Boston (BC). I lived more than 15 years in DC and except for a few Maryland and VT fans those people are NOT college football fans. You pick up WVU and you pick up a lot more college football fans than if you pick up Maryland.

Maybe having a team in a large professional market gives you a boost from the casual channel surfer who will watch sports but isn't really a college fan. Got me...

If it were all about markets the SEC wouldn't be on CBS every week.

SoonerorLater
8/13/2013, 10:35 AM
WVU is hard to pin down culturally. It's a pretty easy drive from Morgantown to Pittsburgh. Most West Virginians who like the NFL are Steelers or Redskins fans. I don't think anyone would consider that culturally similar to the south. Despite their rural Appalachian reputation, from what I've heard most people in West Virginia identify more with the north than south - at least in the northern part of the state.

Anyway, I can't see SEC schools agreeing to play in the snow in Morgantown in November.

I think WVU really belongs in the ACC or the Big 10. I'd say ACC since Pitt and to a lesser extent VT are now there. Big 10 would give border rivalries between them and Ohio State and Maryland - although for the life of me I can't see why the Big 10 wanted Maryland.

Speaking of that last part, I just don't get the infatuation with media markets whether it's DC (Maryland) or Boston (BC). I lived more than 15 years in DC and except for a few Maryland and VT fans those people are NOT college football fans. You pick up WVU and you pick up a lot more college football fans than if you pick up Maryland.

Maybe having a team in a large professional market gives you a boost from the casual channel surfer who will watch sports but isn't really a college fan. Got me...

If it were all about markets the SEC wouldn't be on CBS every week.

Actually the SEC markets are a whole lot better than you might think. Some Big 12 also. I wish I could find the link but Tulsa and Birmingham are the two best college football markets per capita in the US. Oklahoma City was number five I think. I remember at the time which was after Colorado left and Missouri was ready to leave, doing
a little math and Tulsa and Birmingham put almost as many eyeballs on the TV sets during college football as Kansas City and Denver despite their smaller size. It makes a lot of sense now that I see that ESPN poll I posted the link to.

Scott D
8/13/2013, 11:32 AM
I don't know why this discussion goes on. If the Big XII falters, OU is clearly going to the NFC South.

jkjsooner
8/13/2013, 02:06 PM
Actually the SEC markets are a whole lot better than you might think. Some Big 12 also. I wish I could find the link but Tulsa and Birmingham are the two best college football markets per capita in the US. Oklahoma City was number five I think. I remember at the time which was after Colorado left and Missouri was ready to leave, doing
a little math and Tulsa and Birmingham put almost as many eyeballs on the TV sets during college football as Kansas City and Denver despite their smaller size. It makes a lot of sense now that I see that ESPN poll I posted the link to.

You're just making my point.

Although the "per capita" part doesn't tell how we stack up in absolute numbers vs larger markets like DC or Boston.

The part about Denver and KC does give a hint though.

Fraggle145
8/13/2013, 04:20 PM
Oklahoma had its chance to be in the SEC, but at this point I really think that ship has sailed. Our next expansion thrust will be eastward into the Carolinas and/or Virginia.

If OU picked up the phone and said that they wanted to go to the SEC, the SEC would take them. They'd be stupid not to.

8timechamps
8/13/2013, 07:42 PM
If OU picked up the phone and said that they wanted to go to the SEC, the SEC would take them. They'd be stupid not to.

Yep.

8timechamps
8/13/2013, 07:45 PM

Can't speak for KC, but Denver is a dead college football town (in fact, the Rocky Mt. region lacks any real interest). In Denver, NFL is king, and that does take eyeball away from college (obviously they are on different day, but if people are spending a day watching football, it's going to be Sunday over Saturday 10 times out of 10). Kansas City surprised me a little, since it's in a more college football-centric part of the country.

badger
8/14/2013, 09:14 AM
Can't speak for KC, but Denver is a dead college football town (in fact, the Rocky Mt. region lacks any real interest).

Pac-12 has to be having some buyer's remorse. Things I remember distinctly from my 2002 trip to CU (season after 2001 Big 12 championship upset over Texas):

1- Stadium announcer telling crowd when to spell "COLORADO" during pregame band show.
2- Students throwing marshmallows before/during halftime... then leaving.
3- Stadium not full.

In the multiple times we played them in the Big 12 championship game, I don't recall them bringing a lot of fans. They were generally an all-around disappointment

champions77
8/14/2013, 03:41 PM
Pac-12 has to be having some buyer's remorse. Things I remember distinctly from my 2002 trip to CU (season after 2001 Big 12 championship upset over Texas):

1- Stadium announcer telling crowd when to spell "COLORADO" during pregame band show.
3- Stadium not full.

In the multiple times we played them in the Big 12 championship game, I don't recall them bringing a lot of fans. They were generally an all-around disappointment

CU is a lot better fit for the PAC 12 than the Big XII. Their "passion" for the game is just about what you see in that conference outside of Oregon. Pretty laid back. I'll never forget going out to Calif for the OU/USC game in 1973. The Friday night before, I was attending the Palmdale vs Santa Paula HS FB game, and during a lull in the action, I asked the gentleman sitting next to me what he thought about the big game tomorrow? His answer "What game". And this was a huge game, SC coming off an NC in 1972 with Pat Haden and JK McKay and that bunch, but that right there told me that the passion for the game was a lot different in some areas of the country. If I was in Oklahoma or Alabama and there was going to be a game like that the next day, chances are really good that that person would know exactly what "game" that I was referring to. It's too bad too because CU has had some really good teams (NC in 1990) through the years. Kind of sad to see them so pathetic now.

Sabanball
8/14/2013, 08:19 PM
I see that you live in Gadsden Sabanball. Curious as to your interest in OU?

77, I lived in Oklahoma from 1976-1986 and spent my formative yrs in the state. While I was there I grew to really admire and like the program, and followed it very closely(football and basketball) while I was out there.

8timechamps
8/14/2013, 08:23 PM

3- Stadium not full.

It's MUCH worse now. It's possible they get better with their new coach, but the program was in such a mess, it'll take a while.

Sabanball
8/14/2013, 08:44 PM

Two yrs ago I would have agreed with that statement, but at this point in time I cannot think of a remotely possible scenario where OU would either apply for or be accepted as a member of the SEC. I think when Mizzou took the spot that had first been offered to Oklahoma that window of opportunity, for all intensive purposes, closed. Do I think OU would be a good addition and bring more value than Missouri to the SEC? Absolutely. Did I prefer that Pres Boren accept Mike Slive's invitation to become a member of our conference and was I disappointed when he declined it? Yes, most certainly. I'm just saying that our conference moved on and after adding two new teams on the western flank of our footprint in AM and Mizzou the reasonable business decision left to make is who will we now add in the East? With the SEC Network being headquartered now in Charlotte and the huge TV markets that are in Virginia/DC markets, I just don't see a pathway out there anymore for OU to gain entry into the conference. Remember, we are evolving toward 16 team superconferences and adding two teams from the Carolinas/Virgina is really the only option that makes sense if we want to expand the footprint and in the remaining largest TV markets. All that being said, if it were up to me we'd take you guys in a heartbeat(you just can't bring the whorns or pukes with you...;)

champions77
8/14/2013, 09:15 PM
You make some great points. Hope it works out for us, time will tell.

A lot of people think it is headed to 16 team conferences, if so, six more is a ways to go for the Big XII, and I'm not so sure there are six quality teams that
We can get. We are going to be hard pressed to raid quality teams from other conferences, with our perception of instability, so that leaves us with lesser teams that can ascend to a
Better conference and more money. I don't see how adding lesser teams can strengthen the Big XII.

Mizzou was searching for more stability, and they found it.

Interesting, most OU fans seemed intimidated by the SEC, in that we couldn't compete, but I spent a lot
Of time on Tidefans.com when all of this conference realignment business was going on a couple of years ago, and most Bama fans did not want OU to be in the SEC, feeling an already difficult league would just become that much more difficult. Interesting how
The two fan bases could feel so differently,

ouwasp
8/14/2013, 09:16 PM
Oh, I suppose I'd go with SEC. Better cultural fit, time zone fit, etc.

But since we're joined at the hip with the pokes, and Boren is one of their biggest "friends", we've prolly already shot ourselves in the foot.

oh, to leave the Big XII, and NOT play those punks from Stillwater anymore, that would be nice. Sounds like an aggie, I know, but I can't stand those fans.

sooner46
8/14/2013, 09:32 PM
Sabanball

I disagree with you. If OU wanted to go to the SEC, the SEC would break their necks getting to the door to open it for them. It would have nothing to do with the tv markets. It would be because of the prize that OU would be for them. They could clam all OU championships, etc., etc., etc. We all know that.

I do not want to go to none of the three.

sooner46
8/14/2013, 09:56 PM
Chamions77

I do not remember any OU fan here stating we could not compete in the SEC. Most have stated they did not like the way they did business and the way they treated there players, Yes they are a better fit as to way they play football but to many other problems.

champions77
8/14/2013, 10:27 PM
The way the SEC treats their players?

Interesting thing to say considering the reputation OU has with the Bataan "death march" strength and conditioning coach we have . If any team has had more injuries and attrition than we have, I would
Like to know. I know the yahoos up the road certainly have not had the
Injuries we have.

I really believe the sec has been maligned to a degree with all
Of this cheating stigma. Normally when a conference has some outlaws, the NCAA practically camps out looking for
Offenders. Pretty soon that conference is clean, and the culprits show up somewhere else, like the egregious violations committed a few years back with Reggie Bush at USC, some of the worst ever.

8timechamps
8/14/2013, 10:31 PM
Sabanball

I disagree with you. If OU wanted to go to the SEC, the SEC would break their necks getting to the door to open it for them. It would have nothing to do with the tv markets. It would be because of the prize that OU would be for them. They could clam all OU championships, etc., etc., etc. We all know that.

I do not want to go to none of the three.

Agree 100%,

OU is a major brand, and brings major $$$. The Sooners are still in the top 15 college brands in merchandise sales (#12), and still command big bucks and viewership. If OU were to go on their own, and seek membership in any conference, they'd be accepted. The issues arise when Texas and/or OSU are included (well, really any additional team). A conference would be stupid to decline the Sooners.

However, the Sooners aren't going to go on their own, and none of the power conferences are going to expand right now, so it's all just conjecture.

8timechamps
8/14/2013, 11:00 PM
The way the SEC treats their players?

Interesting thing to say considering the reputation OU has with the Bataan "death march" strength and conditioning coach we have . If any team has had more injuries and attrition than we have, I would
Like to know. I know the yahoos up the road certainly have not had the
Injuries we have.

Of this cheating stigma. Normally when a conference has some outlaws, the NCAA practically camps out looking for
Offenders. Pretty soon that conference is clean, and the culprits show up somewhere else, like the egregious violations committed a few years back with Reggie Bush at USC, some of the worst ever.

In the grand scheme of college football violations, that was pretty weak. Especially after what went on at Penn State. Certainly deserving of punishment, but there have been much worse violations, including OU's in the 80's.

I have to ask, what is it about the SEC that is so alluring to you? You've been around long enough to know that college football is cyclical, and the pendulum will eventually swing in another direction. I'm just curious why you would want OU in that conference, if indeed you do?

champions77
8/15/2013, 08:01 AM
In the grand scheme of college football violations, that was pretty weak. Especially after what went on at Penn State. Certainly deserving of punishment, but there have been much worse violations, including OU's in the 80's.

I have to ask, what is it about the SEC that is so alluring to you? You've been around long enough to know that college football is cyclical, and the pendulum will eventually swing in another direction. I'm just curious why you would want OU in that conference, if indeed you do?

Fair question. First, I've always like the South. I enjoy going down there. It's beautiful country with mild winters.

Second, my experiences in Tuscaloosa were some of the best game day experiences I've ever had, and I've been around a few years. The passion they bring to most everything they do, is impressive. Heck Bama gets 10,000 in Coleman for a Women's Gymnastics meet. Great football, baseball, softball. I guess I would rather go to a game in the South than in the Midwest. I am curious, did you go to the Bama game in 2003? I assuming that you did not.

I've said before, we live in a diminished conference. I think that assertion can be supported by most of those knowledgeable in the world of College Football. The SEC would have brought us stability. I see teams that want to go to the SEC, and don't see any teams wanting to leave the SEC. The same cannot be said about the Big XII unfortunately, at least to the same degree. I am really afraid that if texas does not come around as a National contender, and if we stumble a bit, that next TV contract will not be what we would want as a conference. Never thought I would say that I wanted texas to be strong, but texas and OU need to be in the National Championship discussion most every year. Don't see that on my radar for awhile.

jkjsooner
8/15/2013, 04:48 PM

A lot of the allegations thrown at SEC schools are not NCAA violations - the whole oversigning and abuse of the greyshirting, etc.

Just because it isn't an NCAA violation doesn't mean it's ethical.

jkjsooner
8/15/2013, 04:54 PM
. I am curious, did you go to the Bama game in 2003? I assuming that you did not.

I went to both Bama games. For the first in Norman I was greeted by a couple of old farts who proceeded to tell me how disappointed they were with our stadium. This was despite the fact that construction of the new upper deck was clearly visible and beside the point that their own stadium was in the 60 thousands in the late '80s. They just happened to have had more success than us in the '90s and started their building boom before us.

The Bama fans I met in Tuscaloosa were nice. I'll give them that. My friend who I traveled with for these games is a class A Bama loser. When I first met him we talked college football and he said, "To be honest I don't really know the difference between Oklahoma and Iowa State."

You see, too many in the SEC just can't see beyond the SEC. It's irritating as hell. I won't even begin to discuss the complete morons who call into the Finebaum show.

8timechamps
8/15/2013, 08:34 PM
Fair question. First, I've always like the South. I enjoy going down there. It's beautiful country with mild winters.

Second, my experiences in Tuscaloosa were some of the best game day experiences I've ever had, and I've been around a few years. The passion they bring to most everything they do, is impressive. Heck Bama gets 10,000 in Coleman for a Women's Gymnastics meet. Great football, baseball, softball. I guess I would rather go to a game in the South than in the Midwest. I am curious, did you go to the Bama game in 2003? I assuming that you did not.

I've said before, we live in a diminished conference. I think that assertion can be supported by most of those knowledgeable in the world of College Football. The SEC would have brought us stability. I see teams that want to go to the SEC, and don't see any teams wanting to leave the SEC. The same cannot be said about the Big XII unfortunately, at least to the same degree. I am really afraid that if texas does not come around as a National contender, and if we stumble a bit, that next TV contract will not be what we would want as a conference. Never thought I would say that I wanted texas to be strong, but texas and OU need to be in the National Championship discussion most every year. Don't see that on my radar for awhile.

I can understand that.

I was born in Macon, Georgia. Later, my folks moved back "home" to Knoxville, TN. (both of my folks are UT grads) where 1/2 of my family still resides to this day. I didn't move to Oklahoma until I was around 10 years old. I've been to both Knoxville and Tuscaloosa for the "third Saturday in October" (more times in Knoxville than Tuscaloosa); that used to be "the" SEC rivalry. I've had three cousins that played on three teams in the South (one at Tennessee, and the other two at Middle Tennessee State). I've witnessed, first hand, the passion the South has for football. It's still in my family. I "live" it via family relationships every fall.

I like the South too, for the same reason you said. I've been a college football fanatic since I can remember, and it's very hard to find a place better for a fanatic than the South.

I spent my teen years and well into my 20's in Oklahoma. It didn't take long to become a Sooner fan, and I've never looked back. I moved to Colorado in the mid 90's, and at the time, was able to keep very close tabs on the Big 8/12. I grew to love the conference I guess. It's a different brand of football, it always has been, and I would agree that I'd rather watch a game in the south over the midwest.

However, there is no place I'd rather be than Norman on gameday. Because of that, I suppose I have an allegiance to the conference the Sooners belong to, and I don't want OU to become a part of the media freak-show that comes with belonging to the SEC right now. While the Big XII may struggle with the way it's viewed nationally, it's been a very good conference over the years. When people think of the Big XII, they think of OU and Texas. This is "our" conference, it's "our" identity. If OU moves to the SEC (or the PAC or Big 10) that ceases to exist. Ask Nebraska.

None of us, as fans, get anything from conference affiliation. And, until recently, it wasn't really a rally cry. Then the "SEC,SEC,SEC" thing started. Now, when I hear Kentucky or Vanderbilt or even Tennessee fans boasting their conference affiliation, I say "really?!". It's meaningless. So, as a fan, I want OU to stay in the Big XII, make it work, make it stable. Like I said, the Big XII is "OU", I don't want to become just another team in the "SEC,SEC,SEC" (or anywhere for that matter).

As I said in a previous post, the pendulum will swing in time. It may not be this year or next, but it will swing...and someday, the SEC won't be "the" conference to belong to. It wasn't that long ago that the Big 8 was "the" conference. It could very well be again (as the Big XII), that's what I want to see.

champions77
8/15/2013, 08:38 PM
SEC fans love their conference, them shouting SEC, SEC doesn't bother
Me one bit. Shows a lot of conference pride. Maybe if the fans in the BIG XII showed that same pride 4-5 years ago, maybe we would still have 12 teams and we would still be rated as the second best conference.

Yes SEC fans are arrogant with all of the success they've had. OU fans have been called that a time or two also.

sooner46
8/16/2013, 12:50 AM
8timechamp

Very well stated.

champions77
8/16/2013, 12:49 PM
I agree.