PDA

View Full Version : OU vs tx - 1996 - On TV today - Longhorn Network - 1pm Central

soonersweetie
8/6/2013, 08:13 AM
I always scan the sports channels for football games to see if they might show an old OU game.

This was the year that OT in college football was allowed.

John Blake was coach and if I'm right, we weren't having a great year. Most of this game, tx dominated. But somehow we managed to tie it and take it to OT. Then James Allen scored and the rest is history. One of my favorite OU/tx games since we weren't expected to win and (at least where I was at the time) the longhorn fans were rubbin it in and smack talkin the whole game. Loved bein able to hand it back to them at the end :)

Boomer Sooner!

starclassic tama
8/6/2013, 08:53 AM
John Blake was coach and if I'm right, we weren't having a great year.
you are wrong, when blake was the coach OU were close to winning several national championships. if only those 8 losses didn't get in the damn way.

SoonerMarkVA
8/6/2013, 02:02 PM
LHN is showing *that* game? What's next, '97 UCLA? Followed by a double-header of '00 and '03 OU? Are they trying to thin their viewership via suicide?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/9/2013, 03:12 PM
Why the heck would the LHN show that game? Odd.

Salt City Sooner
8/9/2013, 04:42 PM
Why the heck would the LHN show that game? Odd.
True, but it's not the first time they've shown a game like that (the '78 RRS, a 3 TD OU win was on about a month or so ago for example, as was the '06 tOSU game, which the Buckeyes won by 17). I have nothing but total speculation to back it up, but my theory is that their ratings are stinking so bad (& that much is known) that they're reduced to trying to draw in non-horn viewers.

agoo758
8/9/2013, 06:48 PM
Then John Blake started dancing around like a bowl of rubbery jello and started screaming that God was the reason they won........He was a real dummy.

Jacie
8/9/2013, 07:36 PM
It was a special win all the more since it seemed the Sooners were favored over the whorns throughout the Gibbs era yet managed to lose.

I have always felt better going into the RRS with OU as the underdog and this game was an example of why.

En_Fuego
8/9/2013, 07:38 PM
Yep

fadada1
8/9/2013, 08:19 PM
John Blake was coach and if I'm right, we weren't having a great year.

was it the 3 wins, or 8 losses that brought you to this conclusion?

;)

Salt City Sooner
8/9/2013, 09:25 PM
was it the 3 wins (not a single one of which was in Norman), or 8 losses that brought you to this conclusion?

;)

Just a minor adjustment. That stat still blows my mind.

Pricetag
8/9/2013, 09:58 PM
I remember talking with some buddies before the Syracuse game the following season, and saying that there was no way they'd beat us in Norman. That's when one of them piped up with, "Ummm, we didn't win in Norman last year."