PDA

View Full Version : Blake Bell predomiately a running qb!

stoopified
8/5/2013, 08:54 PM
This state ment was made by a Fox Sports talking head.I didn't recognize the guy or catch his name but it is obvious he must work at Fox HQ and has never talked to Bob or Josh or Jay. I rwound the dvr and found out that the Fox guy who made that statement was Tony Banks.In any case I am not aware of any OU games he has covered or any time spent covering the OU program.It makes me wonder if that is a misconception among national media that Blake is going to be a runner and mediocre passer,only capable of dinks and dunk passes . That was another Banks statement that caught my ear,that Bell will be a Tebow type qb

.Not saying Bell will rank up with Bradford,White,Heupel,BUT I think he can put Thompson,Hybl type numbers up as I don't see OU abanoning the pass.I see the offense trying to cut back to 25-30 pass attempts instead of 40-50 of Air Landry ,however I think the offense will not resemble the Oklahoma Landrun days of Wilkinson and Switzer.Can't wait for kickoff.

swardboy
8/5/2013, 09:00 PM
And, OH, the surprise they will all express when Mr. Bell...the #1 passing prospect out of high school...starts lighting up defenses WITH THE PASS!

Salt City Sooner
8/5/2013, 09:04 PM
This state ment was made by a Fox Sports talking head.I didn't recognize the guy or catch his name but it is obvious he must work at Fox HQ and has never talked to Bob or Josh or Jay. I rwound the dvr and found out that the Fox guy who made that statement was Tony Banks.In any case I am not aware of any OU games he has covered or any time spent covering the OU program.It makes me wonder if that is a misconception among national media that Blake is going to be a runner and mediocre passer,only capable of dinks and dunk passes . That was another Banks statement that caught my ear,that Bell will be a Tebow type qb

.Not saying Bell will rank up with Bradford,White,Heupel,BUT I think he can put Thompson,Hybl type numbers up as I don't see OU abanoning the pass.I see the offense trying to cut back to 25-30 pass attempts instead of 40-50 of Air Landry ,however I think the offense will not resemble the Oklahoma Landrun days of Wilkinson and Switzer.Can't wait for kickoff.

I'd take it in a heartbeat. Tebow had the 2nd highest pass efficiency rating in NCAA history (& yes, Sam is #1).

8timechamps
8/5/2013, 09:18 PM
This seems to be the majority opinion of Blake. Unfortunately, I think most of the coaches in the Big XII will do a little more homework (or even recruited him).

Bell's getting a lot of comparisons to Tebow and Klein, and even though we know he throws much better than either of them, I'd take the same type of player at QB anyday.

olevetonahill
8/5/2013, 09:22 PM
I hope and Pray he dont Lite em up early

Curly Bill
8/5/2013, 10:07 PM
And, OH, the surprise they will all express when Mr. Bell...the #1 passing prospect out of high school...starts lighting up defenses WITH THE PASS!

This is the 2nd time I've seen this, and it's not true. Bell was a highly rated QB coming out of HS, but I don't know of anyone that considered him the #1 passing prospect.

SoonerInHSV
8/5/2013, 10:20 PM
This is the 2nd time I've seen this, and it's not true. Bell was a highly rated QB coming out of HS, but I don't know of anyone that considered him the #1 passing prospect.

According to Bell's Bio on Soonersports.com

No. 1 pro-style quarterback (Tom Lemming's MaxPreps)

You just said anyone, not anyone important.

SoonerKnight
8/5/2013, 10:24 PM
!

This is the 2nd time I've seen this, and it's not true. Bell was a highly rated QB coming out of HS, but I don't know of anyone that considered him the #1
passing prospect.

Yes, one sight had him #2 in the state and another had him #4 QB in country in 2010. They also said arm strength was an issue but that would correct itself as he matured.

Another site I saw awhile ago had him #1. All had him 5 stars and said he can beat you with his feet but would rather beat you with his arm! It also said the kid is a competitor.

Curly Bill
8/5/2013, 10:49 PM
Yes, one sight had him #2 in the state and another had him #4 QB in country in 2010. They also said arm strength was an issue but that would correct itself as he matured.

Another site I saw awhile ago had him #1. All had him 5 stars and said he can beat you with his feet but would rather beat you with his arm! It also said the kid is a competitor.

Some might have had him 5*. Rivals did not.

Curly Bill
8/5/2013, 10:50 PM
According to Bell's Bio on Soonersports.com

No. 1 pro-style quarterback (Tom Lemming's MaxPreps)

You just said anyone, not anyone important.

Not a clue who Tom Lemming is.

kevpks
8/5/2013, 10:55 PM
I don't really care what he was rated. Of all positions, I trust our recruiting of QBs. They would not recruit a QB unless they could develop him as an elite passer. We have a good track record for that.

Curly Bill
8/5/2013, 11:00 PM
I remember what they were saying about Bell when we recruited him - that for the amount of time he had played the position he showed considerable skills, and even polish. That in time those things would likely even improve. He was not however (other than by some guy no one has ever heard of) ranked the #1 passing prospect. I too trust our QB recruiting - that's one area that has not let us down, but I'm not a fan of revisionist history, or just plain ol making stuff up.

Salt City Sooner
8/6/2013, 01:52 AM
Not a clue who Tom Lemming is.

National recruiting "guru" (hate that word but can't think of a better one at the moment) for the last 30-35 years. Watch the Army AA game sometime, he'll be on the telecast. He's one of the participant selectors for that game.

swardboy
8/6/2013, 07:52 AM
Well for ANYONE to say a recruit is the #1 prospect at any position is a subjective statement. Every recruit has played against different opposition so there's no standard baseline for the comparison. And in hindsight we can all probably agree that Sam Bradford was the #1 passing prospect for his year...but at the time that was hardly the consensus.

The point is: I think the talking heads are so swayed by the Belldozer that they are blind to the all-around abilities of Blake Bell.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/6/2013, 07:58 AM
Some might have had him 5*. Rivals did not.

Yeah, because Rivals has been so great over the years when it comes to evaluating prep recruits. *mega roll eyes*

thecrimsoncrusader
8/6/2013, 08:04 AM
They're really basing their logic on the whole "Bell was never really allowed to pass when inserted into the lineup, so he must not be able pass" thought process. I wasn't a Landry Jones fan, but it would have been damn stupid to pull what was a great passer (he just had other significant weaknesses) in favor of a backup QB to also have that backup QB just throw the football.

It only made sense to bring in Blake Bell to run the football given Landry's passing capabilities and even that was questionable last year (outside of the 4th and 3 play in the OSU game since OSU's defense was gassed and they weren't going to stop Bell) given Landry and the Sooner run game was handling things in the red-zone much better than the 2010 and 2011 seasons.

The so called experts will be going "oh" pretty quick in the first few games of the season in terms of realizing that he can indeed pass at the very worst, quite well.

starclassic tama
8/6/2013, 08:06 AM
why are people still talking about what his recruiting profile was? that stuff means absolutely nothing once a prospect steps foot on campus. the truth is, nobody on this board has any idea if blake bell can be an effective passer or not. he has not yet shown (or really had the opportunity to for that matter) so for anybody to say anything other than "i dunno, let's wait and see" is either sunshine pumping or just being a negative nancy.

rock on sooner
8/6/2013, 08:07 AM
I hope and Pray he dont Lite em up early

Ima thinkin Sept 28...the Neuter Dumb Domers...as the King usta
say, "Hang a half a hunnert on 'em!"

stoopified
8/6/2013, 08:30 AM
I recall watching Bell play in HS(on TV) and while yes he could definitely run, he was an outstanding passer.

cleller
8/6/2013, 08:47 AM
The films I remember from his recruitment showed excellent passing skills for a HS Qb.

I do seem to remember that a lot of the throws were set up because Bell could make ample time for a receiver to get open, then have the easy throw.

Lott's Bandana
8/6/2013, 08:52 AM
Given his current resumé at OU, I'd call him a running QB as well!

kbsooner21
8/6/2013, 09:39 AM
or just plain ol making stuff up.

Then the message boards may not be a place for you lol

SoonerKnight
8/6/2013, 09:43 AM
We'll see if Bell can throw as good as he can run. He has the most game experience of the QB's. His leaderships skills will be important for the offense as well.

stoopified
8/6/2013, 11:59 AM
This seems to be the majority opinion of Blake. Unfortunately, I think most of the coaches in the Big XII will do a little more homework (or even recruited him).

Bell's getting a lot of comparisons to Tebow and Klein, and even though we know he throws much better than either of them, I'd take the same type of player at QB anyday.Can't argue with that sentiment at all. I do find it funny that national media continue to think that the BElldozer type player is all Blake is capaable of doing. Listen to Bob and his response is WE DON'T RECRUIT ANYONE AT QB WHO IS NOT A CAPABLE PASSER.The past 14 years bears that,with the exception of Bomar's mediocre passing numbers which is ironic considering he is one of the highest rated qb recruits in OU history. I think Blake will open eyes , even though as I said earlier I don't expect him to rank with OU's best passers.

BTW it just occured to me that I did NOT include Landry in my OP when listing OU's best passers.All I can say is mea culpa,it was an inadvertant oversight and not a slap at Landry.

SoonerKnight
8/6/2013, 12:21 PM
Can't argue with that sentiment at all. I do find it funny that national media continue to think that the BElldozer type player is all Blake is capaable of doing. Listen to Bob and his response is WE DON'T RECRUIT ANYONE AT QB WHO IS NOT A CAPABLE PASSER.The past 14 years bears that,with the exception of Bomar's mediocre passing numbers which is ironic considering he is one of the highest rated qb recruits in OU history. I think Blake will open eyes , even though as I said earlier I don't expect him to rank with OU's best passers.

BTW it just occured to me that I did NOT include Landry in my OP when listing OU's best passers.All I can say is mea culpa,it was an inadvertant oversight and not a slap at Landry.

Don't ride a bike next to a bear! You might not be able to bear it!! LOL!

SoonerLB
8/6/2013, 01:17 PM
Like stoopified, I watched Bell in a couple HS games, and his passing looked very good to me, and I also agree that the media and opponents are basing a lot of what they say/think on the Belldozer persona that has been created for him and how he has been used. I think he might just surprise a few people. Don't forget his dad and uncle were both pros, so he has been well prepared for the big stage, and now is time for him to be the star of the show!

stoopified
8/6/2013, 02:02 PM
Don't ride a bike next to a bear! You might not be able to bear it!! LOL!YOU RELATED TO SIC'EM? What does Baylor have to do with this subject?

If you sre trying to be a clever grammar police operative,you are mistaken if you think my usage of bear is incorrect.To be fair I should have typed :bears that out.

SoonerNomad
8/6/2013, 02:35 PM
Don't ride a bike next to a bear! You might not be able to bear it!! LOL!

Bare means naked or exposed, for everything else, use bear!!

http://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/bare_bear.htm

SoonerKnight
8/6/2013, 02:35 PM
YOU RELATED TO SIC'EM? What does Baylor have to do with this subject?

If you sre trying to be a clever grammar police operative,you are mistaken if you think my usage of bear is incorrect.To be fair I should have typed :bears that out.

No, not trying to correct grammer just trying to be funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP3K712RyzQ

8timechamps
8/6/2013, 05:25 PM
why are people still talking about what his recruiting profile was? that stuff means absolutely nothing once a prospect steps foot on campus. the truth is, nobody on this board has any idea if blake bell can be an effective passer or not. he has not yet shown (or really had the opportunity to for that matter) so for anybody to say anything other than "i dunno, let's wait and see" is either sunshine pumping or just being a negative nancy.

Recruiting profiles tell you what a kid could or couldn't do in high school. That's kind of a big thing. Ratings and/or stars may be a bunch of crap or entirely subjective, but scouting reports are typically accurate. If they weren't no sports team in the world would use them.

As for Blake being an effective passer; I agree, there's no way to know until games start. But, to say that profiles mean nothing is misleading.

OU_Sooners75
8/6/2013, 09:21 PM

He wasn't the #1 passing prospect coming out of high school. Top 5 for sure by all recruiting services, but not #1.

swardboy
8/7/2013, 05:03 PM
He wasn't the #1 passing prospect coming out of high school. Top 5 for sure by all recruiting services, but not #1.

Welcome to the party....LATE.

stoopified
9/14/2013, 03:11 PM
Based on the comments I heard from the talking heads when the OU-TU highlights were shown,I think some misconceptions were cleared up. BB can toss the pigskin a little.

stoopified
9/15/2013, 08:15 AM
Most passing yards ever by an OU qb in his FIRST start.Let that sink in for a minute,more yards than Bradford,White,Heupel, and Jones had in their first starts. Given what the other four did in their careers, it makes me almost giddy at BB's future. I was a big fan of the Belldozer ,but am a even bigger fan of BellAir.

SoonerLB
9/15/2013, 08:50 AM
Like stoopified, I watched Bell in a couple HS games, and his passing looked very good to me, and I also agree that the media and opponents are basing a lot of what they say/think on the Belldozer persona that has been created for him and how he has been used. I think he might just surprise a few people. Don't forget his dad and uncle were both pros, so he has been well prepared for the big stage, and now is time for him to be the star of the show!

I stand by my previous post! He can't pass they said . . . , so much for those experts! ;) Nice game Blake Bell! :)

BoulderSooner79
9/15/2013, 09:03 AM
Most passing yards ever by an OU qb in his FIRST start.Let that sink in for a minute,more yards than Bradford,White,Heupel, and Jones had in their first starts. Given what the other four did in their careers, it makes me almost giddy at BB's future. I was a big fan of the Belldozer ,but am a even bigger fan of BellAir.

BellAir - I like it. I'm probably the only one here (or one of few) that is not a big fan of a running QB as part of the offense. They do get hurt more often and then you're screwed. But I still love a QB who can make a play with his legs when a play breaks down. That's basically what we saw with Bell yesterday. There were a few plays where it was designed for him to run, but most his attempts where salvaging plays where the receivers were not open or he judged a pass to be too risky. I'm sure if TK had been healthy, he would have run for more yards than Bell did. But I'm also sure he would have passed for far fewer yards and thrown a pick or two.

Scott D
9/16/2013, 12:42 PM
to be fair, Tony Banks in his days at MSU was predominantly a turnover machine at QB.

badger
9/16/2013, 12:54 PM
We probably cannot afford to have BB be a predominately running quarterback till our depth improves past:

1- Blake
2- A quarterback who just recovered from injury
3- A quarterback who is recovering from injury
4- Yanking the redshirt off guy No. 4

So, air raid time...

jkjsooner
9/16/2013, 05:00 PM
I'm sure if TK had been healthy, he would have run for more yards than Bell did. But I'm also sure he would have passed for far fewer yards and thrown a pick or two.

While that may be true, Bell has the ability to make first downs with his feet when almost nobody else could. He had one last week where he broke a couple of solid tackle attempts and fought his way for the first down. That's what I like in him.

I also like the fact that it's going to be hard to bring him down in the pocket. If he can fight off that first hit and deliver a strike or throw the ball away that could be huge.

Ugh, horrible flashbacks of our defenders bouncing off of of Vinny Testeverde back in '86...

stoopified
9/17/2013, 05:28 AM
I was flipping channels and landed on ESPNU as they were didscussing top passing performances this past week.Blake Bell and his 413 yards ,4tds and no picks was mentioned . At this point the talking heads started to laugh and say that they were among those who doubted BellAir(my term,not theirs)and that they(the talking heads) were among the knuckleheads in the media that Bob had referenced who didn't believe BB could pass.