PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Positions Battles

8timechamps
8/4/2013, 09:44 PM
Here's a look at the position battles going into 2013 (thanks for the idea to Sabanball)

Defensive Tackle
I'd say there are about 5 guys battling for starting spots here. Chuka Ndulue, Jordan Phillips, Jordan Wade, Torrea Peterson and Quincy Russell. Although I really haven't seen him play (other than some online film), Quincy Russell is believed to be good enough to secure a starting spot. It's hard to see Ndulue making a move inside and losing a starting role, so I'd have to say he's the odds on favorite to start next to Russell. If nobody steps up and stands out, I think we'll see a lot of rotation in this group.

Defense End
I really liked P.L. Lindley to earn a starting spot here, but I may be in the minority. Right now, I'd have to say it's Grissom and Favors looking like the favorites to start. The Sooners actually have a wealth of talent at DE, just young, inexperienced talent. Matt Dimon (incoming freshamn) is turning some heads too, so he could be in the mix with Onuoha, Tapper, Chaz Nelson, Obo and Ward.

Linebacker
Corey Nelson is a lock, and from everything I've seen/heard, Frank Shannon is too. It's well known that the Sooners aren't exactly over-loaded at LB, so there's not a lot of talent to draw from. Even though it's only been a few days since camp opened, both Jordan Evans and Dom Alexander are getting attention from the coaches. Alexander was expected to be pretty good, but Evans may be one of those kids that was overlooked by a lot of schools, and ends up being really good.

Cornerback
One spot up for grabs, and it looks like Cortez Johnson could get the nod to start opposite Colvin. Lots of young talent pushing him though. Stanvon Taylor is the biggest challenge Johnson will have.

Safety
You have to think early on Stoops will go with experience here (Lynn, Hayes and possibly Franks), but Hatari Byrd and Ahmad Thomas are also being talked about a lot. Hatari Byrd will see action from day one (even if it's at dime back).

Offensive Line
The only two guys that I think have locked up spots are Ikard and Irwin. St.John, Feo and Savage will push to earn spots, and there is a logjam of returning players in Williams, Shead, Thomas and Kasitati. It's even possible one of the younger guys (Marrs, Farniok) make some kind of a push.

Runningback
Heupel mentioned 4 backs getting a chance to carry the ball this season, so it's pretty open. I expect Williams to be named the "starter", but anticipate Clay, Finch and Ross to get carries. Keith Ford is getting noticed too, so it's possible he gets in the mix.

Receiver
Like the O-line, I think only two guys know they will be on the field early as starters; Shepard and Saunders. After that, there's a lot of talent fighting for one or two spots.

Tight End
Only four guys on the roster, with really only one true pass catching TE (McNamara). Not sure who gets the start, I guess it depends on how they are looking to use the TE this year (Grant and Green are both good inline blockers).

QB
This is the most widely publicized position competition. I think Bell is the ultimate starter, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it come down to about a week before the ULM game before we know officially.

Thoughts?

SanJoaquinSooner
8/4/2013, 10:48 PM
Is there anyone on defense that has all-American written on him?

8timechamps
8/4/2013, 10:57 PM
Is there anyone on defense that has all-American written on him?

Aaron Colvin is the best hope for this year.

It's possible that Corey Nelson could be in the mix, but he'll have to play better than he has his previous years.

Other than those two, there are just too many unknowns. If I were just going to guess at future years, I'd say Hatari Byrd and Ahmad Thomas have that ability. With D.J. Ward a possible darkhorse.