PDA

View Full Version : swing and a miss

Ruf/Nek7
8/3/2013, 06:23 PM
2014 OT recruit Ty Barrett just committed to tcu. Ugh.

8timechamps
8/3/2013, 06:54 PM
This one hurt, I'm not going to sugar coat it.

The Sooners jumped on Barrett before any other school, but in the end it wasn't enough. I think the departure of Patton in the off-season gave Bedenbaugh too little time to get Barrett comfortable with him.

The good news is that we're set pretty well with the JUCO guys coming in this year, and 2015 is already a HUGE year for linemen committing to OU.

The only reason this one hurts, is because he went to TCU. Two years ago, I don't think TCU even gets a visit from Barrett.

Soonerfan88
8/3/2013, 08:27 PM
Bedenbaugh began recruiting him at WV and I think that relationship is the only reason OU stayed on his list so long. He just really didn't show much excitement about OU to me. We were at best his 3rd choice and likely his 4th.

8timechamps
8/3/2013, 08:59 PM
Bedenbaugh began recruiting him at WV and I think that relationship is the only reason OU stayed on his list so long. He just really didn't show much excitement about OU to me. We were at best his 3rd choice and likely his 4th.

You are 100% correct, I was confusing him with Pruitt.

It seemed like there was a lot of hype surrounding his commitment (would it be OU?) that I never really understood. I mean, I understand the need to bring in tackles, and I know the recent history has been a lot of misses at the position, but I just don't feel like it was a make or break situation.

My issue (or reason I think it hurt) was because he stayed in conference. I'm not sure I agree that OU was his 4th choice, but 3rd I would believe. I felt like Ole Miss was ahead of OU, and I really thought that's where he'd go...in fact, I'm not sure he won't end up there.

Ruf/Nek7
8/4/2013, 09:44 AM
I respect this kid though. A lot of recruits tell you they want this and that but then they go to a school that doesn't even come close to his desired list. Barrett said family and academics and by going to tcu, he stuck to his word. Insure hope we pull off Braden Smith.

You know its said when OU lands a top WR and we overshadow it with a miss at an OT recruit but when OT is a high priority and we are accustomed to landing top WR talent, I guess that's to almost be expected.

Sabanball
8/4/2013, 10:25 AM
He will see the field quicker in Dallas than he would have in Norman. That might have factored into his decision, don't you guys think?

Don't look now but the frogs also got a verbal from Jimmy Swain out of Olathe, KS. yesterday. That's two 4stars in two days...

Harry Beanbag
8/4/2013, 11:24 AM
TCU was legitimized by being admitted into the Big 12. Get used to losing recruits to them, you reap what you sow David Boren.

swardboy
8/4/2013, 12:59 PM
My issue (or reason I think it hurt) was because he stayed in conference. I'm not sure I agree that OU was his 4th choice, but 3rd I would believe. I felt like Ole Miss was ahead of OU, and I really thought that's where he'd go...in fact, I'm not sure he won't end up there.

So this makes the B12 better than the SEC, right? :)

Piware
8/4/2013, 04:25 PM
Well, it happens. The bottom line for me is if he doesn't want to be here, do we really want him anyway? Lots of kids that would give anything to put on a Sooner jersey so good luck (but not much) to him.