8/2/2013, 08:02 PM
Literally, another big body:

Mark Andrews
6'6" 220 lb
Desert Mountain High School
Scotssdale, AZ
ESPN: 4 star
Scouts: 4 star

Andrews played TE and WR in high school, but has the speed to be a WR at the next level. He has committed to OU as a dedicated WR. Tim Kish was his primary recruiter. Andrews was a member of the ESPN top 300 (295) and had offers from Alabama, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Duke, Florida State, Kentucky, Michigan, Nebraska, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oregon, Oregon State, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, Utah, Virginia and Washington State.

SoonerMarkVA
8/2/2013, 08:33 PM
Dang, with that size as a HS Sr, I wonder if he'll be able to stay at WR for his career. Because he sounds like a monster TE waiting to happen.

8timechamps
8/2/2013, 08:37 PM
Dang, with that size as a HS Sr, I wonder if he'll be able to stay at WR for his career. Because he sounds like a monster TE waiting to happen.

I know it's hard to think of an agile 6'6" player, but he's just that. Most of his junior year, he played on the outside and the kid is pretty fast. I'll try to find some of his video, but he doesn't look like he's moving quickly, then you notice he's pulling away from the defenders. He has huge strides, so he's a deceptive fast.

Collier11
8/2/2013, 08:38 PM
He will be a TE

8timechamps
8/2/2013, 08:39 PM
Turn down your speakers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPHmu3b0Vew

8timechamps
8/2/2013, 08:39 PM
He will be a TE

No, really, he's a WR. Stoops and Norvell both told him he would not be moving to TE.

Collier11
8/2/2013, 10:52 PM
weve heard that before, he will be a TE

birddog
8/2/2013, 11:22 PM
gotta lot of 6'5ish wr's coming in.

8timechamps
8/3/2013, 12:00 AM

Ordinarily, I say you have a point, but in this case, part of the decision Mark made to come to OU was the he never be moved to TE. Stoops assured him that he would be a WR, although it could be an H-back type WR, he would not move to TE. Considering the offers/commits that are out there for true TEs, it's be pretty hard to understand why they would bring Andrew in to play TE.

Looking back, the kid only played TE in high school his freshman year, and that was for two games. He's a WR, and has played there for going on 3 years.

I'm not saying he would never move to TE (who knows, maybe he develops an eating disorder and gains 75 lbs), but as of right now, the plan is for him to never play TE at OU.

He (Mark Andrews) has been on Twitter tonight and said something to the effect of "...I don't know where people are coming up with TE, I'm NOT playing TE at OU. I'm a WR"

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/3/2013, 02:31 AM
He (Mark Andrews) has been on Twitter tonight and said something to the effect of "...I don't know where people are coming up with TE, I'm NOT playing TE at OU. I'm a WR"Unless he's WR fast, he prolly won't remain there.

Harry Beanbag
8/3/2013, 08:52 AM

Or an OT. :)

Widescreen
8/3/2013, 10:26 AM
So now we're competing with Duke for recruits? OUR RECRUITING SUCKS!!!!!!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Welcome aboard, Mr. Andrews

Ruf/Nek7
8/3/2013, 02:59 PM
A Tim Kish recruit? So now he has landed more top talent on the offense than the defense....makes sense

8timechamps
8/3/2013, 05:07 PM
Unless he's WR fast, he prolly won't remain there.

I really don't think Bob is the kind of coach that lies to recruits, and Andrews said the biggest draw to coming to OU was that he wouldn't move to TE.

Not only that, but the Sooners have already landed a TE for this class (Carson Meier).

Like I said earlier, if something freakish happens, and he gains a ton of weight, then obviously he's not going to play WR. But as far as what the recruit has said, as well as what he says he was told by both Stoops and Norvell, he's not a TE.

Unless you guys know something that's not being publicized, I wouldn't expect him to play TE.

8timechamps
8/3/2013, 05:09 PM
A Tim Kish recruit? So now he has landed more top talent on the offense than the defense....makes sense

This is now the second wide receiver Kish has had a part in landing, and I've also seen his name on a couple of defensive line recruits. Not sure what's going on there.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/3/2013, 05:25 PM
I really don't think Bob is the kind of coach that lies to recruits, and Andrews said the biggest draw to coming to OU was that he wouldn't move to TE.

Not only that, but the Sooners have already landed a TE for this class (Carson Meier).

Like I said earlier, if something freakish happens, and he gains a ton of weight, then obviously he's not going to play WR. But as far as what the recruit has said, as well as what he says he was told by both Stoops and Norvell, he's not a TE.

Unless you guys know something that's not being publicized, I wouldn't expect him to play TE.Well, if he's hoss enough to overpower the DB without getting a penalty, or is especially tricky in his routes, then maybe he could WR, even without exceptional speed.

Collier11
8/3/2013, 05:29 PM
I wish some of you would realize that it matters zero as far as who else was recruiting a certain player

Ruf/Nek7
8/3/2013, 06:07 PM
I wish some of you would realize that it matters zero as far as who else was recruiting a certain player

Yeah...about that.

8timechamps
8/3/2013, 09:07 PM

I agree, but I am 100%* sure Widescreen was being sarcastic.

*Well, 99.9% sure, Widescreen is a redneck, so anything's possible :D

Collier11
8/3/2013, 09:54 PM
Yeah...about that.

I am sure this comment is directed at our bad recruiting the past few years, if so, I would agree that we haven't been good. But only in the fact that we are mis-evaluating players. We have all seen and Stoops has proven time and time again, the number of stars often doesn't make a superstar

Collier11
8/3/2013, 09:54 PM
8time, you are obviously much more connected than I am so I am not saying your sources or you are wrong on this kid. Only that we have seen many time where Stoops has told a kid he would come in at a certain position, but when the kid sees that there is NFL $$$ at another position, they are open to the change

Ruf/Nek7
8/4/2013, 11:24 AM
I am sure this comment is directed at our bad recruiting the past few years, if so, I would agree that we haven't been good. But only in the fact that we are mis-evaluating players. We have all seen and Stoops has proven time and time again, the number of stars often doesn't make a superstar
I guess to clarify, I am just looking at certain positions and I can't tell you how many times I have seen kids talk about relationship with coaches, position coaches at that. I completely agree anoit the stars thing. The way I look at it, Bob won a NC with a bunch of 2* & 3* and the got all the hihher rated guys. Now obviously we won a lot but not the big one. Revert back to old school ways.

Collier11
8/4/2013, 11:25 AM
agreed

Curly Bill
8/4/2013, 12:54 PM
Alabama seems to be doing quite well lately, and they mostly haul in 4 & 5 star guys. All things being equal teams that get those type players are gonna do better. I think to say if we start loading up on 2 & 3 star players we're gonna revert back to a team like the last NC team is just not true.

I think it's troubling that more often than not these days we're more likely to be battling it out for recruits with the likes of North Texas, than the Alabama's and LSU's.

Collier11
8/4/2013, 01:52 PM
While there is obviously a much better chance of a guy turning out to be a star if he is a 4 or 5 star guy, at the end of the day it comes down to evaluation. Stoops knows what he is doing, and he knows the recruiting the last few years has been average, so I cant imagine they would be going after these guys if he wasn't sure of them

Curly Bill
8/4/2013, 02:14 PM
While there is obviously a much better chance of a guy turning out to be a star if he is a 4 or 5 star guy, at the end of the day it comes down to evaluation. Stoops knows what he is doing, and he knows the recruiting the last few years has been average, so I cant imagine they would be going after these guys if he wasn't sure of them

I don't disagree with that, and we've had our share of 5-star busts: RJ Washington, Jermie Calhoun, Stephen Good, all in the same class in fact, and untold number of 4-star guys that didn't amount to crap. So, I agree the evaluation part of it is the most important thing, but where some people go too far IMO is when they're thinking that by landing 2 & 3 star guys that that's better than getting the 4's & 5's and so we're on our way back to the glory days.

SoonerorLater
8/4/2013, 03:09 PM
I agree that recruiting a guy because he has a 4 or 5 * by his name is no assurance you are going to be getting a big time college player or even a decent one. It just increases your percentages. Having top tier recruiting classes doesn't guarantee a NC but not having them assures you won't.

8timechamps
8/4/2013, 04:11 PM
8time, you are obviously much more connected than I am so I am not saying your sources or you are wrong on this kid. Only that we have seen many time where Stoops has told a kid he would come in at a certain position, but when the kid sees that there is NFL $$$ at another position, they are open to the change

I agree, I was only commenting on his status coming into the program. We're on the same page.

8timechamps
8/4/2013, 04:15 PM
Here's the deal, a team full of 2 & 3 stars can win it all, but it's going to be a heck of a lot harder than a team full of 4 & 5 stars.

I think it's worth pointing out that OU has been a team full of 3 & 4 stars, not 2 & 3.

As for the current state of recruiting, clearly OU got behind in evaluating some talent, and the defensive line and offensive line have suffered the most. Stoops wasn't blind to that, and made a change. I think the right guys were brought in to correct the problem, but it's going to take some time. OU didn't end up with a completely inexperienced D-line overnight, so it's not going to be a quick fix.

Curly Bill
8/4/2013, 04:29 PM
Here's the deal, a team full of 2 & 3 stars can win it all, but it's going to be a heck of a lot harder than a team full of 4 & 5 stars.

I think it's worth pointing out that OU has been a team full of 3 & 4 stars, not 2 & 3.

As for the current state of recruiting, clearly OU got behind in evaluating some talent, and the defensive line and offensive line have suffered the most. Stoops wasn't blind to that, and made a change. I think the right guys were brought in to correct the problem, but it's going to take some time. OU didn't end up with a completely inexperienced D-line overnight, so it's not going to be a quick fix.

Agreed, but we almost seem to be working our way towards that 2 & 3 thing. And yeah, I know that's an exaggeration on my part, but we are bringing in more of those 2* and low 3* star guys than we have certainly in recent memory. I'm hopeful that is because of the staff doing a better job of evaluating and that we're getting guys we really want, and not just guys we got because we couldn't get the guys we really wanted.

Ruf/Nek7
8/4/2013, 06:59 PM
I don't disagree with that, and we've had our share of 5-star busts: RJ Washington, Jermie Calhoun, Stephen Good, all in the same class in fact, and untold number of 4-star guys that didn't amount to crap. So, I agree the evaluation part of it is the most important thing, but where some people go too far IMO is when they're thinking that by landing 2 & 3 star guys that that's better than getting the 4's & 5's and so we're on our way back to the glory days.

I just want to note that I never said we should go back to 2 & 3* guys. Just stated that we won with guys like that.

Curly Bill
8/4/2013, 07:21 PM
I just want to note that I never said we should go back to 2 & 3* guys. Just stated that we won with guys like that.

When I said that I wasn't necessarily singling you out, but we've had folks (not that I could now name them) who did seem to think that way - that landing a bunch of 2-3* recruits was good, and even preferable to getting 4-5* guys.

But yeah, if the right things happen it's possible to win with those kinds of guys.

Scott D
8/4/2013, 08:11 PM

Territory based.

8timechamps
8/4/2013, 09:55 PM
I wasn't trying to call anyone out about the 2 & 3 star thing, passing along my thoughts.

And Curly, I (reluctantly) agree that the overall talent had fallen (in recruiting) in the areas mentioned. Which is why I really hope the new coaches can change that.

Ruf/Nek7
8/4/2013, 10:06 PM
Territory based.

I know that, just making a stab.

rock on sooner
8/5/2013, 09:58 AM
To state the obvious, getting a couple 4 and 5 star kids to commit
reaps the benefit of other high ranking players to want to come to
build a dynasty, e.g. 'Bama, over and over.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/5/2013, 11:41 AM
Or an OT. :)

That's what I was thinking, O line...

SoonerKnight
8/5/2013, 01:51 PM
The 2000 team had heart. The team had been beaten up. A new coach comes in and brings life to the players who play with respect to the tradition of OU. The previous coaches did not tout the OU tradition like Stoops did and continues to. Recently we have great players come in get full on themselves and bring the team down.

Alabama, LSU and othe SEC schools oversign and do not give a crap if the kids get an education they are trying to win it all! We do not play by those rules and yet have had great success. 2008 we had a D that was disrespected and questioned if they had the talent to play in the big game. They played very well that night. Sadly they did not play like that ALL SEASON long.

birddog
8/5/2013, 04:07 PM
seems like we had a dollop of success gettin trent smith out wide at times.

8timechamps
8/5/2013, 04:44 PM
seems like we had a dollop of success gettin trent smith out wide at times.

Yep.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Andrews as an H-back at OU.