PDA

View Full Version : I'm pissed at Netflix

cleller
8/2/2013, 07:17 PM
Its not breaking news that Netflix is rapidly dropping movies from their streaming system, in favor of TV shows, but they seem to be going overboard with it.

Granted, they realize what people end up watching. TV. I'm guilty, too, so I can see British TV that is not so completely stupid as US TV programs.
I had a bunch of movies in my queueueueue that I was saving up for when my daughter was here this month. Most are now gone.

Effing pissant cheapo Netflix. I hope your stock crashes.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/2/2013, 08:26 PM
The content providers are wanting too much money.

8timechamps
8/2/2013, 09:22 PM
I've noticed that too.

I realized pretty early on that NetFlix sucked for movie titles. I do like their TV options and they usually have some good documentaries, but for new movies (or really just movies), they indeed suck.

yermom
8/2/2013, 10:31 PM
When they first were negotiating fees for streaming they were kind of a novelty. Now they are a player and not under the radar.

MsProudSooner
8/3/2013, 08:16 AM
Its not breaking news that Netflix is rapidly dropping movies from their streaming system, in favor of TV shows, but they seem to be going overboard with it.

Granted, they realize what people end up watching. TV. I'm guilty, too, so I can see British TV that is not so completely stupid as US TV programs.
I had a bunch of movies in my queueueueue that I was saving up for when my daughter was here this month. Most are now gone.

Effing pissant cheapo Netflix. I hope your stock crashes.

The majority of the TV stuff I have in my queue is BBC. I realized how much I watch my Netflix BBC stuff last weekend when I played housesitter and dog baby sitter for my daughter. She doesn't use Netflix and I had nothing to watch! I'll have to check my queue to see what I'm missing.

cleller
8/3/2013, 08:37 AM
The majority of the TV stuff I have in my queue is BBC. I realized how much I watch my Netflix BBC stuff last weekend when I played housesitter and dog baby sitter for my daughter. She doesn't use Netflix and I had nothing to watch! I'll have to check my queue to see what I'm missing.

The British stuff is a godsend. Tons of good crime dramas. Lots of 5-6 episode mini-series. Just saw a good one called The Fall. Has a still-hot Gillian Anderson playing a brit inspector working on a serial killer in Dublin.

Another interesting one we ran across is New Tricks. Kind of a crime comedy-drama. They bring out some retired coppers to form a cold case squad on the cheap. Have a pretty uptight buxom blond as their boss. Very endearing after a few episodes. And anyone that hasn't seen the Doc Martin series is missing out. Guess PBS has also picked that up now.

SapulpaSooner
8/3/2013, 10:02 AM
They just put the first 8 Episodes of breaking bad of season five on There

rock on sooner
8/3/2013, 12:20 PM
The British stuff is a godsend. Tons of good crime dramas. Lots of 5-6 episode mini-series. Just saw a good one called The Fall. Has a still-hot Gillian Anderson playing a brit inspector working on a serial killer in Dublin.

Another interesting one we ran across is New Tricks. Kind of a crime comedy-drama. They bring out some retired coppers to form a cold case squad on the cheap. Have a pretty uptight buxom blond as their boss. Very endearing after a few episodes. And anyone that hasn't seen the Doc Martin series is missing out. Guess PBS has also picked that up now.

Wonder how Doc Martin got thru medical school, since he can't
handle the sight of blood? Darn good show, though!

MsProudSooner
8/3/2013, 12:29 PM

Doc Martin is in my queue. Lately, I've been watching Foyle's War.

cleller
8/3/2013, 01:16 PM
Wonder how Doc Martin got thru medical school, since he can't
handle the sight of blood? Darn good show, though!

As I remember, he was just fine, a talented surgeon, then suddenly something snapped. Something nutty, but the result is he gets to move off to a beautiful, quaint, quirky village.

My had a similar experience with an undercooked Goldies burger.

SoonerStormchaser
8/3/2013, 02:29 PM
So let me get this straight...next time I go to Asscrackistan, I won't be able to watch movies on Netflix anymore via my VPN?

SanJoaquinSooner
8/3/2013, 03:44 PM

I binged-watched the entire season of The Fall last week. Gillian Anderson is still hot in my book, especially when she says F***, which she does occasionally in this series.

8timechamps
8/3/2013, 05:19 PM
So let me get this straight...next time I go to Asscrackistan, I won't be able to watch movies on Netflix anymore via my VPN?

There are still movies on there, just a dwindling number.

I hate to play the "back in my day" role, but "back in my day" (in Iraq), the best form of entertainment was either a mail order catalog or maybe someone in your unit had one of those little audio recorders (like the kind you used in college), and someone back home would record a message. Even when we were waiting in Saudi, the best we had was a community VCR with maybe two tapes (one was The Deer Hunter, and I can't remember the other). You guys are spoiled. :)

rock on sooner
8/3/2013, 08:20 PM
As I remember, he was just fine, a talented surgeon, then suddenly something snapped. Something nutty, but the result is he gets to move off to a beautiful, quaint, quirky village.

My had a similar experience with an undercooked Goldies burger.

I could easily be persuaded to visit that village and never leave, so long as
my bride of nearly 37 years is with me! Talk about easy on the eyes and
a breath of really fresh air!!

Lott's Bandana
8/4/2013, 10:07 AM
Doc Martin
Foyle's War
Kingdom
Midsomer Murders
Underbelly
The original Wallander

More please.

SoonerStormchaser
8/5/2013, 01:02 PM
There are still movies on there, just a dwindling number.

I hate to play the "back in my day" role, but "back in my day" (in Iraq), the best form of entertainment was either a mail order catalog or maybe someone in your unit had one of those little audio recorders (like the kind you used in college), and someone back home would record a message. Even when we were waiting in Saudi, the best we had was a community VCR with maybe two tapes (one was The Deer Hunter, and I can't remember the other). You guys are spoiled. :)

Yep...so? Modern day technology man...I gots me skype and a VPN...that makes the hell of Asscrackistan a bit easier to stomach.

cleller
8/6/2013, 08:52 AM
Doc Martin
Foyle's War
Kingdom
Midsomer Murders
Underbelly
The original Wallander

More please.

The IT Crowd, if its still there
Inspector Frost-Touch of Frost
Prime Suspect
William and Mary (fair-mostly because "Doc" Martin Clunes is in it)
MI-5
Trial and Retribution

MsProudSooner
8/12/2013, 10:20 AM
I'm depressed. I watched the last "Foyle's War" episode last night. I have some of the series mentioned in this thread in my queue - Midsomer Murders, Inspector Frost, Merlin, Monarch of the Glenn - what should I watch next?

Lott's Bandana
8/12/2013, 01:58 PM
Sucks that Foyle just flat ended.

Kingdom does the same thing...still worth watching.

Midsomer has like eleventymillion episodes and is very similar to Foyle's War...small villages, eccentric characters. The Brits can come up with some pretty creative ways to kill a person.
If you want a looooong session of good shows right now, since it isn't quite football season, I recommend Midsomer.

A bonus with MM is that there are recurring characters through the seasons as they return to certain villages. It is also cool to see a lot of very young British unknowns at the time.

WARNING: You'll get tired of hearing the fake fox screams they overdo in every rural scene, otherwise, good show.

Lott's Bandana
8/12/2013, 01:59 PM
The IT Crowd, if its still there
Inspector Frost-Touch of Frost
Prime Suspect
William and Mary (fair-mostly because "Doc" Martin Clunes is in it)
MI-5
Trial and Retribution

Thanks, I'll check those out!

Still working on Justified on my Amazon Prime Video account.

MsProudSooner
8/12/2013, 02:41 PM
Sucks that Foyle just flat ended.

Kingdom does the same thing...still worth watching.

Midsomer has like eleventymillion episodes and is very similar to Foyle's War...small villages, eccentric characters. The Brits can come up with some pretty creative ways to kill a person.
If you want a looooong session of good shows right now, since it isn't quite football season, I recommend Midsomer.

A bonus with MM is that there are recurring characters through the seasons as they return to certain villages. It is also cool to see a lot of very young British unknowns at the time.

WARNING: You'll get tired of hearing the fake fox screams they overdo in every rural scene, otherwise, good show.

I ran across this regarding Foyle's War episodes filmed this year: http://d2buyft38glmwk.cloudfront.net/media/cms_page_media/16/Foyle2013web.pdf

Lott's Bandana
8/12/2013, 06:19 PM
I ran across this regarding Foyle's War episodes filmed this year: http://d2buyft38glmwk.cloudfront.net/media/cms_page_media/16/Foyle2013web.pdf

That's great. Looking forward to more.

yermom
8/12/2013, 06:25 PM
just started Orange is the New Black last night. looks promising.