PDA

View Full Version : Coaches Poll out: OU is No. 16

badger
8/1/2013, 11:12 AM
Be civil, it's preseason (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/polls/coaches-poll/)

tycat947
8/1/2013, 11:17 AM
Perfect!

rock on sooner
8/1/2013, 11:18 AM
That's a fair location, but it'll change substantially after the voters
see OUr offense, with Bell in great form...imo...

SoonerMarkVA
8/1/2013, 11:30 AM
Now, if only the AP has us at 19, the road is set!

badger
8/1/2013, 11:32 AM
Also, the USA Today site is being very lame, so if you see us at No. 15 instead of No. 16, that was last year's final poll, not this year's preseason poll.

Eff it, here you go:
1. Alabama (58)
2. Ohio State (3)
3. Oregon
4. Stanford
5. Georgia
6. Texas A&M (1)
7. South Carolina
8. Clemson
9. Louisville
10. Florida
11. Notre Dame
12. Florida State
13. LSU
14. Oklahoma State
15. Texas
16. Oklahoma
17. Michigan
18. Nebraska
19. Boise State
20. TCU
21. UCLA
22. Northwestern
23. Wisconsin
24. USC
25. Oregon State

Others getting votes: Kansas State (11-2) 113; Miami (Fla.) 101; Michigan State 89; Baylor 80; Virginia Tech 65; Fresno State 62; Arizona State 51; Mississippi 32; Vanderbilt (9-4) 29; Utah State (11-2) 23; Brigham Young 20; North Carolina 19; Northern Illinois (12-2) 19; Tulsa (11-3) 9; Ohio 8; San Jose State (11-2) 8; Arizona 5; Cincinnati (10-3) 3; East Carolina 3; Kent State 3; Mississippi State 3; Washington 3; Central Florida 2; Arkansas 1; Arkansas State 1; Rutgers 1; Tennessee 1; Toledo 1.

Big 12 (and Tulsa too) in bold.

Big 12's not ranked or mentioned are Texas Tech, Kansas, Iowa State and West Virginia.

swardboy
8/1/2013, 11:40 AM
We wax okie lite and tejas, humiliate neuter dame, solidy plant our flag in the top ten, then hear the lamentation of their wimmen as we drive our enemies from before us..

Boomer.....
8/1/2013, 11:42 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it.

olevetonahill
8/1/2013, 11:45 AM
Aint but ONE Pole that matters thats the LASTone, now when we get into a the Play off deal they might matter some

En_Fuego
8/1/2013, 12:16 PM
Bama playa's knows wer da bucks are. Its getting more ridiculous every year. :(

En_Fuego
8/1/2013, 12:20 PM
Somewhere in the top 20 sounds fair for right now.

SoonerStormchaser
8/1/2013, 12:48 PM
Really? Texass? They'll be unranked soon enough.

badger
8/1/2013, 12:54 PM
Really? Texass? They'll be unranked soon enough.

Aug. 31: New Mexico State Aggies
Sept. 7: at BYU Cougars

Hope you have a backup quarterback prepared, whorn...
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/064/376/uspw_5604398_crop_north.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75
they are so ****ed

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
8/1/2013, 02:25 PM
Here's to a big fat chip on their shoulder!

8timechamps
8/1/2013, 04:44 PM
I think that's about where OU belongs going into this season. I happen to think it's underrated (by the end of the season), but the Sooners will have plenty of chances to move up. As SoonerMarkVA said, if we can come in around the same place in the AP, I'll be happy.

champions77
8/1/2013, 05:14 PM
So the pukes, losers of five games last year, lost one of their QB's that started several games last year, lost three o-lineman, their best corner, the best running back in the conference in Joseph Randall and their top 3 defensive ends, and...have new offensive and defensive coordinators...and they are picked ahead of us. Wow, now that is amazing.

Almost a amazing as the media picking osu to win the conference, with the resume above. That same conference that was the second best conference 3-4 years ago, and now is the fifth best conference today. And we signed a GOR to be chained to this for the next seven years? Thanks D. Boren.

landrun
8/1/2013, 06:17 PM
5 SEC teams in the top ten.
It is pretty hard to miss the national championship game with 5 teams in your conference being rated in the top ten before a single down is played.

There should be no polls until about week six for this very reason.

8timechamps
8/1/2013, 06:20 PM
So the pukes, losers of five games last year, lost one of their QB's that started several games last year, lost three o-lineman, their best corner, the best running back in the conference in Joseph Randall and their top 3 defensive ends, and...have new offensive and defensive coordinators...and they are picked ahead of us. Wow, now that is amazing.

Almost a amazing as the media picking osu to win the conference, with the resume above. That same conference that was the second best conference 3-4 years ago, and now is the fifth best conference today. And we signed a GOR to be chained to this for the next seven years? Thanks D. Boren.

I've just accepted that Texas will be ranked regardless of any information that would cause most teams to be unranked. I think it was two years ago, when they were playing so bad, and they were still barely in the BCS top 25...that's when I gave up trying to make sense of it.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/1/2013, 06:21 PM
meh..Doesn't matter..

cleller
8/1/2013, 06:25 PM
What this country need is so many great HS football players that it doesn't matter how much better the SEC is than the Big 12.

Sabanball
8/1/2013, 11:04 PM
Some random thoughts and reactions on the poll:

I'm comfortable with us starting out at no. 1. Going wire to wire is very difficult(you guys should know, you've done it more than anyone else), but with our talent, coaching staff, and very manageable schedule(no Florida, Georgia, or South Carolina in the reg season) I think we've got a shot.

Their starting ranking might be the 'horns' high water mark for the season. Ole Miss has brought in some big time talent and Sept 14 could be a trap game in Austin. If Mac falls on his face again this yr(which he will), could a serious movement to go after Saban(again) materialize? Hmmm.....what's this:

http://nicksaban-texasfootball.com/

Louisville this high with the schedule they have reminds me of the Boise/TCU debate that helped destroy the BCS. Oh well, Tim Brando will be able to have a new favorite 'fly in the ointment' team to talk about all season long on his radio/tv show.

LSU is being seriously underestimated at #13. Les Miles finally has a qb and a decent offensive coordinator. A lot of starters from last yr are gone but they will simply reload. The game of the year will be 11/9 in Tuscaloosa, not 9/14 in College Station.

Not buying the TAMU hype. They will not sneak up on anybody this yr and Manziel's off the field antics are beginning to pile up, will they have a negative impact?

Stanford is very solid and has a very good coaching staff. Oregon has a lot of talent, but can they really keep it rolling with a change at head coach? Something tells me the ducks may slip a little this yr.

Finally, keep your eye on the media's ''anti-sec" hope, Ohio State. It will be a national lovefest between the buckeyes and the drive-by national sports media all season.

Piware
8/1/2013, 11:29 PM
Texas ranked ahead of the Sooners??? Really???

stoopified
8/2/2013, 07:26 AM
Let'sget ready to rrrrrruuuuuuummmmmbbbbbbbllllle!

Mac94
8/2/2013, 07:55 AM
I'm comfortable with us starting out at no. 1. Going wire to wire is very difficult(you guys should know, you've done it more than anyone else), but with our talent, coaching staff, and very manageable schedule(no Florida, Georgia, or South Carolina in the reg season) I think we've got a shot.

Bama should be #1 ... way to much talent and a good schedule. the question, though, is can Bama hold up all season? While Bama has had a great run, it's not like they've been the Sooners under Bud with an amazing win streak. Bama has proven they can lose ball games ... last year against A&M, the year before against LSU, three loses the years before that. Bama can be beat.

Their starting ranking might be the 'horns' high water mark for the season. Ole Miss has brought in some big time talent and Sept 14 could be a trap game in Austin. If Mac falls on his face again this yr(which he will), could a serious movement to go after Saban(again) materialize?

I think Texas will be ok ... they'll hit 9 wins and MAck, as always, will clap alot. Texas' issue isn't talent but attitude. And I don't see Saban at Texas ... and if it happened I just don't think it would work. Saban isn't the media friendly, politician type coach that will be able to deal with the LHN and all the crap that goes into being a coach in Austin. He's a great coach, but don;t see the personality "fit" between Saban and Austin.

Louisville this high with the schedule they have reminds me of the Boise/TCU debate that helped destroy the BCS. Oh well, Tim Brando will be able to have a new favorite 'fly in the ointment' team to talk about all season long on his radio/tv show.

Louisville will go undefeated given their schedule ... then be exposed in a BCS game.

LSU is being seriously underestimated at #13. Les Miles finally has a qb and a decent offensive coordinator. A lot of starters from last yr are gone but they will simply reload. The game of the year will be 11/9 in Tuscaloosa, not 9/14 in College Station.

Not sold on the corndogs. They lost way to much on defense to just automatically assume they'll be fine and offensively they aren't all that. Plus, their schedule is brutal ... A&M and Bama got easy draws, LSU will be out fo the west race on schedule alone having to face Bama, A&M, Georgia, and Florida. Heck, I think TCU might take them down in week 1.

Not buying the TAMU hype. They will not sneak up on anybody this yr and Manziel's off the field antics are beginning to pile up, will they have a negative impact?

Very fair. My Ags have a bad history of playing with high expectations ... and Manziel's offseason has alot of us really worried. That said ... I do think our offense will be very explosive. Johnny won't suddenly forget how to play football and we have a TON of talent on the offensive side with a good oline and a stable of running backs that may be the best in the country. Defensivley ... well ... uh ... ummm ... beats me ... we're gonna be young and green. We'll probably have to outscore people.

Stanford is very solid and has a very good coaching staff. Oregon has a lot of talent, but can they really keep it rolling with a change at head coach? Something tells me the ducks may slip a little this yr.

Agree on both. In the Pac-12 UCLA will be interesting to watch

Finally, keep your eye on the media's ''anti-sec" hope, Ohio State. It will be a national lovefest between the buckeyes and the drive-by national sports media all season.

Go Maze and Blue! ;) Honestly, though .... if Ohio St. makes it to the title game against an SEC team, say Bama or Georgia, etc. I just don't think Ohio St will be ready for the brand of football and SEC power will throw at them. The Big-10 just won;t prepare them for it. I'd worry more about a Stanford than Ohio St.

badger
8/2/2013, 08:28 AM
MAck, as always, will clap alot.

Has anyone else noticed he's toned down his clap a lot, like the Internet finally got to him? :mack:

PrideMom
8/2/2013, 10:08 AM
I think in 2000, OU was ranked 20th in pre-season, it doesn't mean a thing! But the logic of having Texas above OU is really stupid. Did no one watch what OU has done to them the past three years?

birddog
8/2/2013, 10:40 AM
I think in 2000, OU was ranked 20th in pre-season, it doesn't mean a thing! But the logic of having Texas above OU is really stupid. Did no one watch what OU has done to them the past three years?

the 2000 team had alot of mature players that were shocked by the coaching staffs' ability to put 11 guys on the field. Look at the chart for that year and look at this one. i want us to be good as always but i feel less optimistic about this year than i have any other year since stoops 3rd. we have to rely on too many guys with potential and other guys who are upset they have to wear normal uniforms

MichiganSooner
8/2/2013, 11:59 AM
Sabanball said, "I'm comfortable with us starting out at no. 1. Going wire to wire is very difficult(you guys should know, you've done it more than anyone else), but with our talent, coaching staff, and very manageable schedule(no Florida, Georgia, or South Carolina in the reg season) I think we've got a shot."

Who is on your schedule? I realize the SEC has 14 teams and you can't play everyone in the league but this points out where Stoops was coming from when he said the SEC wasn't all that it is put up to be (paraphrase) as he was pointing out that all 14 are not great; about 5-7 are. And you guys do not even play 3 of the better teams in your league even though two of them border your state. (You don't play Alabama either which means you don't play 4 for of the top teams in the SEC) I am not taking anything away from Alabama; just pointing out SEC schools and ESPN like to brag how tough everything is and you guys are not playing 4 of the top teams of the SEC in regular season.

Mac94
8/2/2013, 01:22 PM
Bama's sched is as follows:

8/31 Virginia Tech (in Atlanta)
9/14 @ A&M
9/21 COLORADO ST
9/28 OLE MISS
10/5 GEORGIA ST
10/12 @ Kentucky
10/19 ARKANSAS
10/26 TENNESSEE
11/9 LSU
11/16 @ Miss St
11/23 CHATTANOOGA
11/30 @ Auburn

Sabanball
8/2/2013, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=MichiganSooner;3701459]Sabanball said, "I'm comfortable with us starting out at no. 1. Going wire to wire is very difficult(you guys should know, you've done it more than anyone else), but with our talent, coaching staff, and very manageable schedule(no Florida, Georgia, or South Carolina in the reg season) I think we've got a shot."

Who is on your schedule? I realize the SEC has 14 teams and you can't play everyone in the league but this points out where Stoops was coming from when he said the SEC wasn't all that it is put up to be (paraphrase) as he was pointing out that all 14 are not great; about 5-7 are. And you guys do not even play 3 of the better teams in your league even though two of them border your state. (You don't play Alabama either which means you don't play 4 for of the top teams in the SEC) I am not taking anything away from Alabama; just pointing out SEC schools and ESPN like to brag how tough everything is and you guys are not playing 4 of the top teams of the SEC in regular season.[/QUOTE

Our schedule is very favorable, and that's why I pointed it out at the outset. That's one reason I think a 3-peat is possible. In fact, by some estimations its our easiest in 20yrs. But to ultimately win our conference we will more than likely have to beat either Georgia/USC/Florida in the SECCG--no easy task as last yr's seccg against the dawgs showed.

Gonna try not to get into the 'which conference is best' debate anymore on here, besides we wont know that in any shape or form until after the reg season and bowls are completed. Besides, how do you define that? By how balanced a league is, how many crystal balls one has, or head to head competition with other conferences? I know how I define it, but you might do so differently. It's all subjective and open to interpretation.

8timechamps
8/2/2013, 09:13 PM
Some random thoughts and reactions on the poll:

The only thing that can keep Bama out of the title is complacency. Even though Sabin is arguably the best coach in the country, at this point that has to be his biggest battle this season. The talent is there (again) to win another.

Their starting ranking might be the 'horns' high water mark for the season. Ole Miss has brought in some big time talent and Sept 14 could be a trap game in Austin. If Mac falls on his face again this yr(which he will), could a serious movement to go after Saban(again) materialize? Hmmm.....what's this:

I don't know if it's their high water mark for the year, but I do think the Horns will get more than they want when Ole Miss travels to Austin. I'm not sure the Horns escape Provo with a win.

Louisville has a legitimate weapon in Bridgewater, but I think someone in their conference (I don't even know what it's named now) will knock them off. They may have a very good QB, and an excellent coach, but it's really hard to go undefeated, and I think they drop one they shouldn't (which will knock them out of the title discussion altogether).

I know you really respect LSU, but I thought they were a fraud last year, and I don't have any reason to think they are any better this year. I see a very mediocre season (in LSU terms), and the fanbase gets in an uproar to boot Miles. Honestly, I can see several losses for them in 2013. They don't have a shot at Bama.

Talk about great recruiting (Ole Miss), take a look at what Sumlin has brought in since his arrival. As much as I can't stand A&M, the hype is real. Will Manziel's play drop off? It very well could, but Sumlin is a very good coach (who I think won't be in college football long). A&M will take over LSU's spot in the SEC pecking order. The Bama/A&M will be the game of the year.

I don't know why, but I keep waiting on Stanford to fall back to mediocrity. I don't think it's going to happen, but they'll lose one or two they shouldn't this year. As for Oregon, this is a pivotal year for the Ducks, if they don't live up to expectations, it could spell trouble in the long run (with a new coach).

Honestly, any team that can be in contention to knock off the SEC will get the attention, Ohio State is just the team du jour. I'm not sold on the Buckeyes to go undefeated again. Michigan will provide a tougher test for them this year.

8timechamps
8/2/2013, 09:19 PM
the 2000 team had alot of mature players that were shocked by the coaching staffs' ability to put 11 guys on the field. Look at the chart for that year and look at this one. i want us to be good as always but i feel less optimistic about this year than i have any other year since stoops 3rd. we have to rely on too many guys with potential and other guys who are upset they have to wear normal uniforms

That's exactly why I don't like the comparisons of this team to the 2000 team. The only thing really similar is their starting positions in the polls (and the way the media is viewing the team).

Right now, there are just too many unknowns for me to have to much optimism. I do have some, but it's guarded.

Salt City Sooner
8/2/2013, 09:53 PM
The only thing that can keep Bama out of the title is complacency. Even though Sabin is arguably the best coach in the country, at this point that has to be his biggest battle this season. The talent is there (again) to win another.

I don't know if it's their high water mark for the year, but I do think the Horns will get more than they want when Ole Miss travels to Austin. I'm not sure the Horns escape Provo with a win.

Louisville has a legitimate weapon in Bridgewater, but I think someone in their conference (I don't even know what it's named now) will knock them off. They may have a very good QB, and an excellent coach, but it's really hard to go undefeated, and I think they drop one they shouldn't (which will knock them out of the title discussion altogether).

I know you really respect LSU, but I thought they were a fraud last year, and I don't have any reason to think they are any better this year. I see a very mediocre season (in LSU terms), and the fanbase gets in an uproar to boot Miles. Honestly, I can see several losses for them in 2013. They don't have a shot at Bama.

Talk about great recruiting (Ole Miss), take a look at what Sumlin has brought in since his arrival. As much as I can't stand A&M, the hype is real. Will Manziel's play drop off? It very well could, but Sumlin is a very good coach (who I think won't be in college football long). A&M will take over LSU's spot in the SEC pecking order. The Bama/A&M will be the game of the year.

I don't know why, but I keep waiting on Stanford to fall back to mediocrity. I don't think it's going to happen, but they'll lose one or two they shouldn't this year. As for Oregon, this is a pivotal year for the Ducks, if they don't live up to expectations, it could spell trouble in the long run (with a new coach).

Honestly, any team that can be in contention to knock off the SEC will get the attention, Ohio State is just the team du jour. I'm not sold on the Buckeyes to go undefeated again. Michigan will provide a tougher test for them this year.
If he can stay in line, they also just hauled in another big weapon today. Michael Dyer landed there & is eligible immediately.

8timechamps
8/3/2013, 12:04 AM
If he can stay in line, they also just hauled in another big weapon today. Michael Dyer landed there & is eligible immediately.

You're right, I forgot I had read that. Offensively, they should be tough to beat. I just don't know enough about their defense to know if it is prone to laying an egg or two during the season. OU kind of did that, and our roster is full of athletes much better than the Louisville roster (and we were able to win a few we probably shouldn't). Just not sure about Louisville.

MichiganSooner
8/3/2013, 09:03 AM
Mac94 said, "Louisville will go undefeated given their schedule ... then be exposed in a BCS game."

Just like last season????

Salt City Sooner
8/3/2013, 12:47 PM
Mac94 said, "Louisville will go undefeated given their schedule ... then be exposed in a BCS game."

Just like last season????
Well, in fairness to Mac, they didn't go undefeated last year. :)

Now, about that bowl thing.........:D