PDA

View Full Version : Storing air filters for later use? How long is too long?

cleller
7/31/2013, 05:32 PM
I have a geothermal system in my house. In addition to the filters in the return air grills, it has a large 2 inch thick filter in the actual unit. It is supposed to be changed only every 2-3 years. These sizes are hard to find, and ordering them from Amazon/internet is the cheapest way to do it by far. I can order them via Amazon, but have to buy 6.

That would last me 12+ years, but I wondered if filters degrade over time. These are synthetic pleated MERV-11 filters.

pphilfran
7/31/2013, 05:41 PM
I would guess they would last nearly forever...to be safe I would probably try to store them in the house....

olevetonahill
7/31/2013, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't think it would hurt a thing, But check with your Manufacturer to be safe.

cleller
7/31/2013, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't think it would hurt a thing, But check with your Manufacturer to be safe.

You sound like Ann Landers.

olevetonahill
7/31/2013, 06:51 PM
You sound like Ann Landers.

hell I aint Sicem Id Hit her

Really tho I'd think if Ya keep inside away from much humidity they would be fine. I dont know for a fact is why I said Check with the Manu.

If It was be Id just put em in some kinda Dust /water proof deal and store the dayum things.
Is that better?:black_eyed:

8timechamps
7/31/2013, 06:58 PM
cleller, do they come in a sealed bag? I have a pure-air system system in my house, and the filters come in vacuum sealed plastic. They supposedly can remain "good' indefinitely, until removed from the plastic.

cleller
8/1/2013, 07:06 AM
cleller, do they come in a sealed bag? I have a pure-air system system in my house, and the filters come in vacuum sealed plastic. They supposedly can remain "good' indefinitely, until removed from the plastic.

Judging by the pictures, I'd say "not", but at least I know they'll be boxed up well. What the heck. Just air filters.

Boomer.....
8/1/2013, 07:39 AM
I wouldn't think that they would deteriorate over time if unused. You should be okay.

sooner_born_1960
8/1/2013, 08:57 AM
Of course, you'll forget where you put them, and have to order six more in a couple years.

rock on sooner
8/1/2013, 11:11 AM
Another possibility is to store them in the Ziploc vacuum bags in a
closet (where you would see them and not forget where they are).

cleller
8/1/2013, 02:05 PM
Of course, you'll forget where you put them, and have to order six more in a couple years.

Absolutely true. My only hope is to store them in the attic near the unit.

I am currently looking for this giant 2 million candlepower flashlight my father in law gave me. Its enormous, the size of a basketball, I keep it near the back door. Somehow it disappeared somewhere in the last few days.

8timechamps
8/1/2013, 05:04 PM

You sound like a fellow air-filter over-purchaser. So true!