PDA

View Full Version : Like the Fanfare before Oklahoma in The Pride pregame? It's gone.

Pages : [1] 2

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2013, 03:12 PM
Fanfare before Oklahoma: Out, including the "bum-bum-bum-bum-bum OU!" This is LUDICROUS. Someone smarter than me has to know how all we sooner message boarders can unite against this.

We will play the other teams fight song before the game (this happens now if they dont bring a band), but rumor is we will from their logo while doing it (unconfirmed)

Grand Ole Flag gone replaced by America the beautiful: Fine.

Post game concert will feature both schools fight songs, rumored to be the winner first: **** that.
Go here:

http://www.landthieves.com/board/showthread.php?58749-Pride-Pregame-Routine-Changes

this post is by a current pride member confirming (as much as a poster on the internet can) the changes.

I am currently in The Pride and I recently attended the Pride of Oklahoma Orientation which was held the past two weeks. I will try and list the different changes to the band's performance.

The current order of Pregame is, based on my memory, this. Oklahoma, OU Chant (Alma Mater), Opponent's fight song (the logo situation is unknown), OK Oklahoma (I don't remember exactly where this was but it is not at the end anymore), America The Beautiful, National Anthem, Boomer Sooner, and Fight for OKU.

I will try to go in order, but I may leave some things out. If something is still a rumor and not confirmed, I will put "(RUMOR)" in the beginning. The things said by the director will be marked by a "*".

There is a new marching style and if you would like to see an example, just YouTube the band at the University of Wisconsin.

Pre-Game
*The game will begin the same way with the drumline playing the same cadence to begin the game with the other typical introductory things.
*The band will run out of the tunnels as usual to the sidelines but instead of running on to the field, we will be marching on to the field to have a cleaner, sharper look.
(RUMOR) Instead of the lines, we will be making a wedge of some sort before beginning.
(Rumor but confirmed by a Graduate Assistant). The fanfare at the beginning of Oklahoma will be removed. (This does include the ceremonial "OU" Chants so if you could complain about this, that would be great.) Then Oklahoma will resume like normal.
*OU Chant will be normal.
The enemy fight song will proceed like normal. I have not personally heard anything about the rival team's logo being displayed, but the director did mention that something will be changed every pregame and this fits the bill. The rival logo is a RUMOR.
*OK Oklahoma is now at a different spot for sure but I do not know where exactly
*America The Beautiful is replacing Grand Old Flag for sure but it is a more up tempo version than the one we have come to know.
National Anthem should remain the same.
Boomer Sooner will be after the National Anthem. However instead of the OU with the squared corners and straight edges, it will be reverted back to the rounded OU of the past will that is very rounded. This is also the shape that was used before where there no corners and "U" does not intersect into the "O".
*Fight For OKU will be finishing Pre Game from now on.

Halftime
*Halftime shows will be different in that instead of three separated songs and the middle one is for the twirler, we will be playing one long song that is about 7.5 minutes and has many different songs in it ranging anywhere from 30 - 60 seconds. The twirler is still performing. No Pop songs will be played.

Post Game
*The band will be leaving the stand before the game ends or at least prepare to and take the field and play the opponent's fight song first and then ours. Post Game concert will no longer be the halftime shows but something different which he has not said.

Do remember that the rumors are rumors and should be treated as such. Don't completely go ballistic over them but do raise a concern for them. I will also post the links for Dr. Wakefield's (Director of Bands) and Justin Stolarik (Director of the Pride). Please have words of respect for both of them as they are trying very hard to keep it going smoothly.

Dr. Wakefield - http://bands.ou.edu/web/faculty-staf...am-k-wakefield

Director Stolarik - http://bands.ou.edu/web/faculty-staf...ustin-stolarik

I just wanted to add something else. Please show more respect for the Pride. We are all very hard working students with tons of things on our hands. We are choosing to give our time up in order to support the football team and entertain you all. We play Boomer Sooner 100's of times to support the team and help you guys. Not only that, we prepare Pre Game and Halftime for your entertainment. So please stop showing the disrespect that you guys are showing us. It is very insulting that you would think we would do things to hurt the team, our fans, and the school. We deserve your respect just as much as any other organization. We are there for OU. We go to home games, away games, just to support the team. At the very least do not insult the Pride as a whole because it is very offensive to those of us who have to give tons and tons hours per week for no extra reward. We are very hard working people and ask for your respect and that's it.

Again, if you are going to email or call them, please do so in a respectful way.

Thank You

Phil
7/31/2013, 03:38 PM
How is the drum major going to set up "The Strut" without the fanfare? That doesn't make any sense. And I love the fanfare. They are going to get huge complaints if they actually take that out, especially as the vast majority of people won't know anything about it until they see it on the field before the opener.

yermom
7/31/2013, 03:40 PM
and we thought Britt was bad

who is this new guy anyway?

Scott D
7/31/2013, 04:08 PM
some guy who hates brass and percussion ;)

sooner_born_1960
7/31/2013, 04:11 PM
Someone please explain fanfare, for us musical illiterates.

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2013, 04:41 PM
Fanfare is the first 0:40 seconds of this video, AKA, the BEST ****ING PART OF THE PRE GAME. THE STRUT< THE BUILDUP THE OU YELLING.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-5hf58sOOE

I swear, this better be a ploy to take it out and instill it back at the Texas game to have everyone go nuts. People going to the game that have no idea about this before hand will FREAK.

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2013, 04:44 PM

https://www.ou.edu/content/publicaffairs/archives/AssistantDirectorofUniversityofWisconsinMarchingBa ndNamedNewDirectorofthePride.html

He holds a bachelor's degree with highest honors in music education from the University of Florida, and master's and doctoral degrees from the University of Texas at Austin.

and there you go...seriously, **** this guy if all of this is true.

MichiganSooner
7/31/2013, 05:13 PM
I would expect tweaks to the Pregame but only tweaks; it is tradition. Personally, I would change the run-on-to-field from a simple run out of the tunnels to a fast high-step entrance like the Michigan Marching Band. It would take considerable rehearsal time and stamina to pull it off.
I would consider taking out Grand Old Flag and replace with OK Oklahoma. After Boomer Sooner, replace OK Oklahoma with Fight for OKU. Other than that, the Fanfare and Oklahoma, the Chant, National Anthem and Boomer. The interlocking OU is a must not to tinker with. For crying out loud, it is one of the best known trademarks in American sport! And the drum major strut needs to stay.
The new guy came from Whiskey as Assistant Director; the Whisky band is set up differently in instruments. Like almost 80 trumpets and 80 trombones for a start. No sideline percussion; very little woodwinds in the band.
I could care less what the band does at halftime as long as it is exciting for football fans to watch. And I could care less what is played after the game.
If he truly takes out the Fanfare and messes with Pregame too much, I guarantee Boren will be getting emails from the fans.

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2013, 05:19 PM
It sounds like he is taking it out. All that info came from a pride member at Orientation.

cvsooner
7/31/2013, 05:19 PM
Musically, a fanfare is normally a relatively short piece of or in a piece of music, that usually played by trumpets, cornet, french horns, trombones, or all the above, and sometimes accompanied by percussion.

Those first twelve or so notes at the beginning of Star Wars is one type of fanfare, which then launches into the piece proper.

In live performance, it is usually intended for ceremonial services involving important people or events, as exclamations of significant activities during an event (such as with introductions and closings), or to precede announcements with the purpose of gaining the attention of the audience (those who aren't paying attention, anyway).

MsProudSooner
7/31/2013, 05:30 PM
Here's another vote to keep the Fanfare.

Someone could start an Online Petition here: http://www.change.org/start-a-petition?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GST_USER_GEOT2_SCHT2_start_petition

But, I don't know how wise that is before we even know for sure that they are eliminating the Fanfare.

MsProudSooner
7/31/2013, 05:32 PM
I would expect tweaks to the Pregame but only tweaks; it is tradition. Personally, I would change the run-on-to-field from a simple run out of the tunnels to a fast high-step entrance like the Michigan Marching Band. It would take considerable rehearsal time and stamina to pull it off.
I would consider taking out Grand Old Flag and replace with OK Oklahoma. After Boomer Sooner, replace OK Oklahoma with Fight for OKU. Other than that, the Fanfare and Oklahoma, the Chant, National Anthem and Boomer. The interlocking OU is a must not to tinker with. For crying out loud, it is one of the best known trademarks in American sport! And the drum major strut needs to stay.
The new guy came from Whiskey as Assistant Director; the Whisky band is set up differently in instruments. Like almost 80 trumpets and 80 trombones for a start. No sideline percussion; very little woodwinds in the band.
I could care less what the band does at halftime as long as it is exciting for football fans to watch. And I could care less what is played after the game.
If he truly takes out the Fanfare and messes with Pregame too much, I guarantee Boren will be getting emails from the fans.

Does the change in the mix of instruments make the band louder? It hasn't seemed as loud over the past few years. Personally, I want to opponents to be unable to hear themselves think!

tycat947
7/31/2013, 05:54 PM
Here are some Youtube videos of Whiskey band. I do like the marching style better. I would almost bet David Boren is totally aware of any changes that might be made. He personally makes decisions on art, furniture, etc for the new and renovated buildings so he would know this as well. I'll just have to see what it looks like.

I know our band members are in shape but they are really going to have to be in extra good shape to survive an Oklahoma September marching like they are in bottom video.

I do like the energy of the Whiskey band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13R-gqVvEBI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u-owHVwpiU

MsProudSooner
7/31/2013, 06:02 PM
Here are some Youtube videos of Whiskey band. I do like the marching style better. I would almost bet David Boren is totally aware of any changes that might be made. He personally makes decisions on art, furniture, etc for the new and renovated buildings so he would know this as well. I'll just have to see what it looks like.

I know our band members are in shape but they are really going to have to be in extra good shape to survive an Oklahoma September marching like they are in bottom video.

I do like the energy of the Whiskey band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13R-gqVvEBI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u-owHVwpiU

Their energy is great and their volume is great - just don't mess with the fanfare and Oklahoma!

8timechamps
7/31/2013, 06:49 PM
This has to be a mistake, or maybe confusion. Surely the new guy wouldn't come in a mess with something like that. That's like your new girlfriend walking into your grandma's house and roundhouse kicking her in the face.

MichiganSooner
7/31/2013, 06:51 PM
Does the change in the mix of instruments make the band louder? It hasn't seemed as loud over the past few years. Personally, I want to opponents to be unable to hear themselves think!

If the band had this much brass it would definitely be louder. The Pride has had 48-52 trumpets and a couple dozen trombones. Instead the Pride has a bunch of clarinets, flutes, saxes, and sideline percussion-(marimbas, etc) which don't make a lot of noise but help the band sound good in a musical way.
Part of the issue with the Pride not sounding as loud in the past is that there are more people in the stadium. 74,000 before the expansion; now 85,000 loud-mouth Sooner fans are there.

OUmillenium
7/31/2013, 08:19 PM
dont F up whats not broken

sooneron
7/31/2013, 08:51 PM
^This

jk the sooner fan
7/31/2013, 10:18 PM
everybody just needs to start contacting the university

spread the word - social media - etc etc

that fanfare and start of the strut is what makes the hair stand on the back of my neck before a game - its the reason i get to my seat early

total bull****

MichiganSooner
7/31/2013, 10:41 PM
I will be very surprised if the Fanfare is dropped. On recordings of the Pride playing "Oklahoma!", the fanfare is part of the song. Besides that, Pride auditions have not even been held yet, except for percussion, although students have had the opportunity to come to Norman and practice if they want. Hopefully, this is a misunderstanding; the new director may have said, we are going to play Oklahoma, meaning fanfare and all. I say this because in an interview, he said that he will respect the traditions of the Pride and of OU.

jk the sooner fan
7/31/2013, 11:02 PM
you can email (i did) Dr. Wakefield and Dr. Solarik at [email protected] and [email protected]

a pride member posted on landthieves and confirmed that the fanfare is gone

i dont care about replacing grand old flag with America the Beautiful

but the fanfare and OU chant? f(*(* that noise

and forming the other teams logo???? can you see the pride doing the osu logo? no thank you

8timechamps
7/31/2013, 11:03 PM
First we need to verify that it has, in fact, been dropped. I'll try to send an email to, um, somewhere...

nighttrain12
7/31/2013, 11:08 PM
Hopefully they take out that sanctimonious lecture just before the National Anthem 'reminding' us that it is the 'Home of the Brave (not Sooners)'. I will proudly shout at the top of my lungs .... and the home .... of the ..... SOONERS!!!! WOO HOO!!!!

8timechamps
7/31/2013, 11:17 PM
Here's where you can email the band department: [email protected]

I sent this note to them:

To whom it may concern,

Today (July 31, 2013) a rumor hit the internet that for the 2013 Sooner football games, the marching band will NOT be playing the fanfare prior to Boomer Sooner.

Word traveled fast, and before long, I was seeing a large number of negative comments about this subject. Rather than forming a lynch mob and picking up pitch forks, I decided to first, contact you (the band) and verify whether or not their is any validity to this rumor.

As you may, or may not, know, the fanfare prior to Boomer Sooner is one of the best traditions in Oklahoma Football. It's the announcement of (for lack of a better phrase) "it's time to shut your mouth, something really awesome is about to happen", followed by the "strut" down the field and the fans going crazy. Taking away the fanfare would be like serving the best pizza in the world right out of the over, except the waiter/waitress doesn't tell you it's hot, rather she just puts it in your hands. Much like that would ruin a much anticipated meal, losing fanfare would make a great number of us cry.

Think about that. 80,000+ people crying. That's a lot of tears. I know Memorial Stadium is strong, but is it strong enough to hold back the tears of heartbreak from 80,000 saddened folks? I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for testing that theory.

Anyway, is there any truth to this rumor? If there is, then there are literally tens of thousands of online Sooner fans that want to know whom to contact to prevent this step from being taken.

We love the Pride, we support the Pride, but we want the Pride to do what they have always done better than any band in the country...Play the fanfare, set the table for the fans, bring energy to the game.

I look forward to your reply:

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2013, 11:23 PM
Perfect. Can't wait to see the reply if
It is in fact gone and no thought to reversing is made.

Would be time to take it to the next level, i.e. social media, petition, contacting visible people who are sooner fans and would follow suit or mention it to their followers (two guys on the Ticket in Dallas jump to mind who are massive Sooner fans)

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2013, 11:36 PM
Just sent my emails as well.

Soonerfan88
8/1/2013, 01:05 AM

that fanfare and start of the strut is what makes the hair stand on the back of my neck before a game - its the reason i get to my seat early

total bull****

Totally agree! Might have to write my own email tomorrow as it's too late to think clearly tonight.

prrriiide
8/1/2013, 06:07 AM
Here's where you can email the band department: [email protected]

I sent this note to them:

To whom it may concern,

Today (July 31, 2013) a rumor hit the internet that for the 2013 Sooner football games, the marching band will NOT be playing the fanfare prior to Boomer Sooner.

Word traveled fast, and before long, I was seeing a large number of negative comments about this subject. Rather than forming a lynch mob and picking up pitch forks, I decided to first, contact you (the band) and verify whether or not their is any validity to this rumor.

As you may, or may not, know, the fanfare prior to Boomer Sooner is one of the best traditions in Oklahoma Football. It's the announcement of (for lack of a better phrase) "it's time to shut your mouth, something really awesome is about to happen", followed by the "strut" down the field and the fans going crazy. Taking away the fanfare would be like serving the best pizza in the world right out of the over, except the waiter/waitress doesn't tell you it's hot, rather she just puts it in your hands. Much like that would ruin a much anticipated meal, losing fanfare would make a great number of us cry.

Think about that. 80,000+ people crying. That's a lot of tears. I know Memorial Stadium is strong, but is it strong enough to hold back the tears of heartbreak from 80,000 saddened folks? I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for testing that theory.

Anyway, is there any truth to this rumor? If there is, then there are literally tens of thousands of online Sooner fans that want to know whom to contact to prevent this step from being taken.

We love the Pride, we support the Pride, but we want the Pride to do what they have always done better than any band in the country...Play the fanfare, set the table for the fans, bring energy to the game.

I look forward to your reply:

Great letter. Except...it's the fanfare before Oklahoma that they're apparently cutting.

Here's mine:

Hello Dr. Wakefield!

I hope that all is well with you and yours.

I know that your in-box is probably getting blown up right now about changes that are rumored to be planned for pre-game this fall. The rumors out there include forming the opposing logo after the game, dropping Grand old Flag in favor of America the Beautiful, running onto the sidelines then marching onto the field into a different formation, replacing the interlocking OU with a detached OU, and taking away the Oklahoma Fanfare.

I see all of these with varying degrees of acceptance and antipathy. Most troubling to me are the removal of the Fanfare and the replacement of the interlocking OU. Of less importance, but still concerning is not running onto the field.

There are some traditions that shouldn't be changed. The Fanefare is the signal for 85,000 fans to get pumped up and ready for the game. Coach used to call them the Joe Six-pack fans. These fans cherish the participation aspect of screaming "OU!" at the top of their lungs. They can't rush, pass or catch the football; they can't block the opponent. Most of them can't pick up a horn and march a formation. But they can participate in this, together, as part of a stadium-wide team. I believe that removing it will have a seriously negative effect on the pre-game energy of the fans.

I hope that the rumor about replacement of the interlocking OU is just that – a rumor. To me, that is tantamount to Ohio State doing away with the script OHIO and the dotting of the I, or Tennessee doing away with running through the T. I just can't seem to get my mind around the idea of an OU pre-game without the interlocking OU moving down the field for Boomer Sooner. That's the official logo of the University, and I would expect serious blow-back if it is replaced with a version other than the official logo.

Running onto the field has never been particularly pretty or precise from a drill standpoint. But for me, it was always an important component for a better performance. In the same way that the Oklahoma Fanfare ratchets up the crowd energy, running onto the field…STEP, TURN, CLOSE, UP 2 3 4…opens the throttle for the band members. That's when you hear the roar of the crowd and experience the fanaticism that surrounds OU football. It dumps adrenaline into the system, and that gets channeled into a great pre-game performance.

I now call Knoxville, TN home – the epicenter of the Vols. I have shown many friends and co-workers video of the Pride's pre-game. To a person, all of these fans have commented the the effect that the tradition really shines through. This coming from fans of a program with a pre-game that hasn't changed significantly in many years. Change is inevitable when a new sheriff comes to town, and they are expected. Some are welcome or at least not a big issue. But some of the rumored changes to OU's pre-game are, to me, beyond the pale. I hope that you and the staff of The Pride will take a second look at any changes from a fan-tradition standpoint and really make sure that what is changed is necessary, and don't fix what isn't broken. Because The Pride's pre-game is one of the things that make OU football what it is to fans around the world.

Best wishes,
Pride tuba (for more years than I admit to anymore...)

badger
8/1/2013, 09:06 AM
It will be interesting to see what actually materializes come UL-Monroe. Till then, I'll hold judgement.

badger
8/1/2013, 09:22 AM
Also...

I just wanted to add something else. Please show more respect for the Pride. We are all very hard working students with tons of things on our hands. We are choosing to give our time up in order to support the football team and entertain you all. We play Boomer Sooner 100's of times to support the team and help you guys. Not only that, we prepare Pre Game and Halftime for your entertainment. So please stop showing the disrespect that you guys are showing us. It is very insulting that you would think we would do things to hurt the team, our fans, and the school. We deserve your respect just as much as any other organization. We are there for OU. We go to home games, away games, just to support the team. At the very least do not insult the Pride as a whole because it is very offensive to those of us who have to give tons and tons hours per week for no extra reward. We are very hard working people and ask for your respect and that's it.

The Internet is a scary place. Don't let it get to you, and if you do, stay off of it as much as you can.

Once you are off the Internet, I think you will also find that everywhere else too, repeatedly asking for respect does not get you respect. Sorry :(

achiro
8/1/2013, 09:30 AM
does not get you it.
:confused::confused::confused:

TheHumanAlphabet
8/1/2013, 09:38 AM
This smells of Boren...

TheHumanAlphabet
8/1/2013, 09:40 AM

Some stupid guy from Wisconsin and UTerus... Coach was against him and very dissappointed that he was hired.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/1/2013, 09:45 AM

More Brass like in the day I was in the Pride would be more louder! Coach always had more brass than woodwinds. Woodwinds just don't carry. The bunch of percussion in the sidelines sucks, IMO. Too drum corps and most people at football games have no clue what drum corps is about or its nuiances.

Anything to add mroe brass to the Pride would be welcomed.

badger
8/1/2013, 10:04 AM
This smells of Boren...
It does, but at the same time, even he loves emphasis on tradition.

Coach was against him and very dissappointed that he was hired.
I loved his post-retirement visits. Hope that he still visits rehearsals/gameday even with new guy around.

More Brass like in the day I was in the Pride would be more louder!
I could see music majors auditioning on brass instruments if forced to, but otherwise, I really didn't see a large number of auditioners in brass sections in the early to mid aughts compared with the final roster number. Maybe 10 to 20 percent larger, but certainly not enough to double the section sizes

TheHumanAlphabet
8/1/2013, 10:21 AM
I could see music majors auditioning on brass instruments if forced to, but otherwise, I really didn't see a large number of auditioners in brass sections in the early to mid aughts compared with the final roster number. Maybe 10 to 20 percent larger, but certainly not enough to double the section sizes

Don't know what it was like for you... My first year was 1978, I know of few brass cuts, I knew of several woodwinds cut...Typically what I remember if you were a brass and could play loud and march at the same time, you made the cuts. Competition was keener on the woodwind and percussion side.

I don't question the change of marching style, I never cared for the texas slow march style of Britt. I suspect the Pride will look more like the old Pride on the late 70s and 80s with a high kick and fast tempo marching style. That is definitely the UW way... Don't mind the other changes, but no fanfare and strut is just too much of tradition...

PrideMom
8/1/2013, 10:32 AM
I won't miss "Grand Old Flag" that song was lame! But "America the Beautiful" has been over worked, too. We are at a FOOTBALL game. Let's get something that is LOUD and gets people fired up for the game. Does anyone remember the music from "Oklahoma Crude"? They played it one time at an OU/TX game and it was fantastic!

Jack T.
8/1/2013, 12:32 PM

total bull****

Agreed. It's kinda the "hey, pay attention. . .OU football is fixing to start"

badger
8/1/2013, 01:05 PM
This letter (http://oubandalumni.org/files/2013/07/StateOfOUBandsJune2013.pdf) was posted to the alumni band site at the beginning of July. It includes no info on pregame changes, but for background, here you go.

Scott D
8/1/2013, 01:47 PM
I tried to tell you people earlier this guy hates brass.

badger
8/1/2013, 02:09 PM
I tried to tell you people earlier this guy hates brass.

Ah band drama, where woodwinds glare at brass when they get to go on the road trip to Bammer, but ignore all of the Boomer Sooner pep bands brass players are obligated to do.

Example: I played "Boomer Sooner" at the end of a funeral my senior year.

cleller
8/1/2013, 06:28 PM
This is a life lesson. Change is bad.

Hope is also.

soonersweetie
8/1/2013, 09:05 PM
Very, very disappointed. I will be sending my letters this weekend. Stop messing with tradition. If they take the field this way, they will be booed. (Not because we don't like the Pride, but because the university has messed with tradition). The fans expect tradition and for certain things to remain the same.

Phil
8/1/2013, 09:37 PM
I listened to the Fanfare and Oklahoma in the car on the way home from work today - literally gave me goosebumps, like it always does when I haven't heard it in a long time. I don't think new people realize what an emotional cue that is for people at the games. It is literally an announcement that we're about to do some business. And, yes, I'm a dork.

soonersweetie
8/1/2013, 09:46 PM
Is there a way to post this on facebook for other OU fans who may have not discovered this board yet? I want as many people as possible to know about this.

colleyvillesooner
8/1/2013, 09:55 PM
I listened to the Fanfare and Oklahoma in the car on the way home from work today - literally gave me goosebumps, like it always does when I haven't heard it in a long time. I don't think new people realize what an emotional cue that is for people at the games. It is literally an announcement that we're about to do some business. And, yes, I'm a dork.

Another dork here. we play it everytime we cross the red river for a game. Same goosebumps everytime.

badger
8/2/2013, 08:18 AM
OK, so after talking with some fellow band alumni, things are starting to sound a bit more... bad.

Since I know that a lot of you are emphasizing how loud you want the band to be, try imagining how loud the Pride would be if there were half as many members.

I have not confirmed this with anyone at OU, but it sounds like some upperclassmen/returning members/etc have quit out of protest to the changes you are all hating on right now

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2013, 08:41 AM
i was just on youtube - searching for "pride of oklahoma" pregame

quite a few videos........i simply cant imagine a pre-game without that - i am ready to tackle somebody in the office - and ready to eat a corny dog - and ready to scream boomer while waiting somebody from the other side of the office to scream sooner

seriously - this is horrible - people - please email somebody

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2013, 08:52 AM
this is worse than taking the names of the jerseys! :)

colleyvillesooner
8/2/2013, 08:52 AM
i have received no response to my email. we need to make it easy on everybody. Somebody right a polite yet disgruntled email that everyone who's not going to take the time to type one can copy and paste. fill those email boxes up.

colleyvillesooner
8/2/2013, 08:53 AM

heh

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2013, 08:57 AM
i emailed Barry Tramel - sometimes guys like him need a good story to look at

he's responded to every email i've ever sent him (just a handful) - nice guy

maybe he'll look into this and put it in the paper - its not sports - but its a part of the game day experience

MsProudSooner
8/2/2013, 09:02 AM
In addition to the email campaign, someone could create an online petition using this: http://www.change.org/start-a-petition?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GST_USER_GEOT2_SCHT2_start_petition

Also, OU has a Facebook page where people can make comments about their concerns. Does The Pride have a Facebook page?

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2013, 09:03 AM
In addition to the email campaign, someone could create an online petition using this: http://www.change.org/start-a-petition?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GST_USER_GEOT2_SCHT2_start_petition

Also, OU has a Facebook page where people can make comments about their concerns. Does The Pride have a Facebook page?

someone could - or YOU could!

colleyvillesooner
8/2/2013, 09:05 AM
i agree the petition may be something that is done after we see the changes in effect.

But the email can just address the rumors of changes and how they would be unacceptable to the fan base,

JMHO.

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2013, 09:05 AM
what would change this immediately would be donors calling in and threatening to remove $$

colleyvillesooner
8/2/2013, 09:09 AM
Yeah, but we can't get them to stand up and be loud at the game, no way the'ye gonna make a phone call. :)

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2013, 09:11 AM
Yeah, but we can't get them to stand up and be loud at the game, no way the'ye gonna make a phone call. :)

at least they end the anthem the right way.....

colleyvillesooner
8/2/2013, 09:26 AM
at least they end the anthem the right way.....

you've done it now...inciting a riot...

MsProudSooner
8/2/2013, 09:57 AM
what would change this immediately would be donors calling in and threatening to remove $$

Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner!

BermudaSooner
8/2/2013, 09:58 AM

maybe he'll look into this and put it in the paper - its not sports - but its a part of the game day experience

Sounds more like an Jenni Carlson article...but I agree, Barry can have an impact on something like this.

MsProudSooner
8/2/2013, 09:59 AM
i agree the petition may be something that is done after we see the changes in effect.

But the email can just address the rumors of changes and how they would be unacceptable to the fan base,

JMHO.

I sent my email day before yesterday and I said that I had heard rumors and that if they were true, I would be very disappointed. Dead silence ensued - not even a canned response. Has anyone gotten any kind of reply to their email?

I know the band doesn't report to Joe C., but I think I'll drop him an email, too.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/2/2013, 10:22 AM

I quit donating to the Pride becuase of Britt...That won't work for me...

oudanny
8/2/2013, 10:24 AM
I sent an email yesterday and haven't received any kind of response. If the rumors prove to be true I will be suspending my annual donation to the band. When they call to solicit the donation I will tell them why I'm not contributing.

oklaclarinet
8/2/2013, 12:59 PM

Unfortunately, if the stories are to be believed, these changes are coming about because of a donor, a rather big one in fact. That would be Max Weitzenhoffer, the guy whose name is on the College of Fine Arts, is on the Board of Regents, and who gave a whole bunch of important art to the university. The story goes that he and President Boren ignored the recommendations of the search committee for the new Pride director specifically to bring in someone who would be willing to implement the changes that they wanted. Supposedly then Weitzenhoffer and Boren are the ones pulling the strings on these changes.

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2013, 01:03 PM
wellll, tramel is interested and asked for more info!!!

colleyvillesooner
8/2/2013, 01:16 PM

Maybe PEEM the kid on LT that is a current member and see if he'll talk to him?

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2013, 01:18 PM
we'll see what he does with the info I gave him first

colleyvillesooner
8/2/2013, 01:25 PM
we'll see what he does with the info I gave him first

cool. a poster there is claiming through a source that it is just "tweaks" to the fanfare. Maybe a reporter asking for some clarification will get the truth out there instead of having to go through peoples sources. Either way, strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

From my source. Doesn't think Pride is right

ThePrideKid on the forum is off on almost everything. The wedge thing is true. The OU is going to look almost identical. The drill going into it, from my understanding is what will change.The fanfare is changing. That is true. I'm not sure how different it is, but it is changing. Just a little update. Whoever that kid is, is very misinformed.

champions77
8/2/2013, 01:35 PM
First Boren rejects the SEC, leaving us with this diminished Big XII, now the fifth best conference in America, all because osu was not invited, and now this?

Wow, what's next, changing our nickname and our school colors?

badger
8/2/2013, 01:37 PM
Unfortunately, if the stories are to be believed, these changes are coming about because of a donor, a rather big one in fact. That would be Max Weitzenhoffer, the guy whose name is on the College of Fine Arts, is on the Board of Regents, and who gave a whole bunch of important art to the university. The story goes that he and President Boren ignored the recommendations of the search committee for the new Pride director specifically to bring in someone who would be willing to implement the changes that they wanted. Supposedly then Weitzenhoffer and Boren are the ones pulling the strings on these changes.

I have heard the same story and the same names. I really, really hope that what I've heard about membership isn't true. I think audition camp/etc. doesn't start for another few weeks. though.

My final year, we played Oregon, only a few years after the Nike takeover of band uniforms (reference photo here (http://dailyemerald.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2267046111.jpg)). One of the older members I talked to said that the move forced out the previous director, causing many older members to quit. He said he personally only stuck around because he had a scholarship.

In a nutshell, donor meddling results in sh1t like horsepigs and Nike band uniforms

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2013, 01:58 PM
cool. a poster there is claiming through a source that it is just "tweaks" to the fanfare. Maybe a reporter asking for some clarification will get the truth out there instead of having to go through peoples sources. Either way, strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

yeah i read all that

frankly - internet rumors are what they are - and the truth may lie somewhere in between the two sides

if Tramel is interested in the story - he'll do what journalists do - contact his sources at the University - and either confirm it, in part or in whole - or refute it

i got the impression that if it were true - he'd have the interest in exposing it to all his readers

MsProudSooner
8/2/2013, 02:11 PM
yeah i read all that

frankly - internet rumors are what they are - and the truth may lie somewhere in between the two sides

if Tramel is interested in the story - he'll do what journalists do - contact his sources at the University - and either confirm it, in part or in whole - or refute it

i got the impression that if it were true - he'd have the interest in exposing it to all his readers

The fact that no one has gotten any kind of reply to their emails makes me suspicious.

badger
8/2/2013, 02:13 PM
The fact that no one has gotten any kind of reply to their emails makes me suspicious.

Don't be too suspicious. It's the beginning of August, after all. They might be outta office... or innundated with so many angry emails that they cannot answer them all

MsProudSooner
8/2/2013, 02:20 PM
Don't be too suspicious. It's the beginning of August, after all. They might be outta office... or innundated with so many angry emails that they cannot answer them all

Someone has gotten Berry Tramel interested. It will be interesting to see what he finds out.

tycat947
8/2/2013, 03:43 PM
First Boren rejects the SEC, leaving us with this diminished Big XII, now the fifth best conference in America, all because osu was not invited, and now this?

Wow, what's next, changing our nickname and our school colors?

WOW, is right!

mainline13
8/2/2013, 07:33 PM

Wait, wait, wait. They name their jerseys????

mainline13
8/2/2013, 07:35 PM
Also...

The Internet is a scary place. Don't let it get to you, and if you do, stay off of it as much as you can.

Once you are off the Internet, I think you will also find that everywhere else too, repeatedly asking for respect does not get you respect. Sorry :(

Unless you can ask for it the same way Aretha did.

C&CDean
8/2/2013, 09:50 PM
If it will make the football team pissed and make them kick some serious ***? I'm all in. Change it all. **** it. No band, just the stupidly loud PA if it brings us wins.

birddog
8/2/2013, 11:27 PM
i can't hear anything they do anways. guess i'll just step in at kickoff. they will still play the game, i hope.

revelladee
8/4/2013, 08:25 AM
Yes, the Pride is on fb.... https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/prideofoklahoma?fref=ts

Piware
8/4/2013, 04:15 PM
I expect he will get more than e-mails. Electronic petitions are easy to do, print it out and circle the stadium with it. I have e-mailed Wakefield asking him to confirm/deny the rumor.

Piware
8/4/2013, 04:17 PM
I e-mailed Michael Alford with the Sooner Club. Got a prompt response but they don't know, not their area of responsibility and a referral to Wakefield. I have e-mailed him with a copy to President Boren but too soon to have a response yet. Will keep you all posted if I hear anything back.

Judge Smails
8/4/2013, 09:05 PM
Fire Venables!

TheHumanAlphabet
8/5/2013, 11:32 AM

Just send him the link to this thread...

TheHumanAlphabet
8/5/2013, 11:34 AM

I had heard of an almuni influence, but didn't know who. No wonder coach was upset and posted his nice opinion on Facebook and a note to band alumni. Let ole Max pay for everything, they certainly don't need my money...

jk the sooner fan
8/5/2013, 12:31 PM
Just send him the link to this thread...

i'd rather not expose Mr. Trammel to some of the fine people on this board ;)

Piware
8/7/2013, 04:15 PM

JMHO.

I had e-mailed Dr. Wakefield with a copy to President Boren last week asking for clarification. Here is his response:

Thank you for sharing your family story of Sooner impact and also your view regarding the Pride of Oklahoma pre game content.

As you know we are in transition with Pride leadership and just hope our alumni and fans will support student efforts to continue the tradition of providing spirited performances and support for the Sooners. As for details, I can only ask you to wait and see what is revealed during the course of the season. We are fortunate to have so many passionate Pride alumni like you who value their own experiences enough to express concern.

Boomer Sooner,

This sounds like a Nancy Pelosi response to me "We have to pass it before we can see what's in it." I have a bad feeling about this.

MsProudSooner
8/7/2013, 07:54 PM
I had e-mailed Dr. Wakefield with a copy to President Boren last week asking for clarification. Here is his response:

Thank you for sharing your family story of Sooner impact and also your view regarding the Pride of Oklahoma pre game content.

As you know we are in transition with Pride leadership and just hope our alumni and fans will support student efforts to continue the tradition of providing spirited performances and support for the Sooners. As for details, I can only ask you to wait and see what is revealed during the course of the season. We are fortunate to have so many passionate Pride alumni like you who value their own experiences enough to express concern.

Boomer Sooner,

This sounds like a Nancy Pelosi response to me "We have to pass it before we can see what's in it." I have a bad feeling about this.

Hopefully, if the the crowd is less than enthusiastic, the band members will realize it's not directed at them.

prrriiide
8/8/2013, 05:41 AM

I got a reply, but since Dr. Wakefield was my advisor in college I'm not surprised. He asks for everyone to wait and see what is revealed through the course of the season.

Having seen Max Weitzenhoffer in action, I have no doubt in my mind that the statements about him having his mitts in this are accurate. Make no mistake...he will do whatever it takes to get himself appointed as Boren's successor. And when he does, look out, OU!

prrriiide
8/8/2013, 05:44 AM
Unless you can ask for it the same way Aretha did.

Heh. We played a burner of an arrangement of that when I was in The Pride.

bobcatsoonermagic
8/8/2013, 09:51 AM
A news story on the whole Pride director hiring debacle is overdue for release. It was authored by a former Pride member and high school band director, who is now a national journalist. He reported elsewhere on the Web that he had given David Boren a chance to respond, and in fairness, was waiting for that response before releasing the story.

It reportedly goes into minute detail about the hiring of the new Pride director, including the fact that the ultimate hire clearly did not meet the criteria for candidates, as set forth by the University. It may also address allegations that have been made in some circles of possible financial irregularities involving a Regent, and his in-kind donations or loans to the University. (Let me be clear - I am unaware of any allegations of any money actually changing hands, or any money personally benefitting any person, and I have no knowledge that the story makes any such allegations.)

Many people close to the situation are concerned that the University may have violated its own hiring guidelines by rejecting the search committee's candidate, and instead seeking out a candidate who the entire search committee considered abundantly unqualified for the position. There are also concerns that any such violations may have violated the law. At the very least, one must ask why it was so important that the University blatantly ignore the search committee's recommendation, and also ignore the qualifications set out for candidates, in order to bring in someone who reputedly was the "chosen one" handpicked by a Regent, despite the fact that he had absolutely no experience as the head director of any program at all, much less a program which would prepare him for the University of Oklahoma.

It seems akin to replacing Bob Stoops with a line coach from Middle Tennessee State. He may be a nice guy, but OU - in the Big XII ???? Perhaps it explains why, when the Director of the School of Music publicly announced the new director's hiring, his e-mail reportedly started with "I have been directed to inform you that....".........

The author has made the statement on social media that this story could potentially bring down a University president and a Regent. Having not seen it, I can't say - but I do know it has been in the works for weeks now, and is reportedly based, at least in part, on a number of documents received from the University in response to Open Records Act requests.

I will be eagerly awaiting the article, and look forward to seeing whether the University chooses to respond to any substantial degree. If potential violations of law arise, I hope the Governor will appoint an impartial investigator to fully investigate any such allegations, not only to protect the subjects of any such allegations, but also to assure the people of Oklahoma that their educational institutions are being run in an upright and ethical manner.

tycat947
8/8/2013, 10:54 AM
Sounds like a scorned woman! Ridiculous!

OklaPony
8/8/2013, 10:54 AM
Well, this thread has certainly been entertaining. I better go check on the old "Fire Brian Britt" thread...

colleyvillesooner
8/8/2013, 10:56 AM
A news story on the whole Pride director hiring debacle is overdue for release. It was authored by a former Pride member and high school band director, who is now a national journalist. He reported elsewhere on the Web that he had given David Boren a chance to respond, and in fairness, was waiting for that response before releasing the story.

It reportedly goes into minute detail about the hiring of the new Pride director, including the fact that the ultimate hire clearly did not meet the criteria for candidates, as set forth by the University. It may also address allegations that have been made in some circles of possible financial irregularities involving a Regent, and his in-kind donations or loans to the University. (Let me be clear - I am unaware of any allegations of any money actually changing hands, or any money personally benefitting any person, and I have no knowledge that the story makes any such allegations.)

Many people close to the situation are concerned that the University may have violated its own hiring guidelines by rejecting the search committee's candidate, and instead seeking out a candidate who the entire search committee considered abundantly unqualified for the position. There are also concerns that any such violations may have violated the law. At the very least, one must ask why it was so important that the University blatantly ignore the search committee's recommendation, and also ignore the qualifications set out for candidates, in order to bring in someone who reputedly was the "chosen one" handpicked by a Regent, despite the fact that he had absolutely no experience as the head director of any program at all, much less a program which would prepare him for the University of Oklahoma.

It seems akin to replacing Bob Stoops with a line coach from Middle Tennessee State. He may be a nice guy, but OU - in the Big XII ???? Perhaps it explains why, when the Director of the School of Music publicly announced the new director's hiring, his e-mail reportedly started with "I have been directed to inform you that....".........

The author has made the statement on social media that this story could potentially bring down a University president and a Regent. Having not seen it, I can't say - but I do know it has been in the works for weeks now, and is reportedly based, at least in part, on a number of documents received from the University in response to Open Records Act requests.

I will be eagerly awaiting the article, and look forward to seeing whether the University chooses to respond to any substantial degree. If potential violations of law arise, I hope the Governor will appoint an impartial investigator to fully investigate any such allegations, not only to protect the subjects of any such allegations, but also to assure the people of Oklahoma that their educational institutions are being run in an upright and ethical manner.

OK, but are they changing the fanfare or not?

bobcatsoonermagic
8/8/2013, 11:43 AM
OK, but are they changing the fanfare or not?

Wow. :disturbed:

Stay tuned, I suppose....

colleyvillesooner
8/8/2013, 05:11 PM

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4834682602914140&pid=1.7

8timechamps
8/8/2013, 05:16 PM

I'm not trying to offend anyone that is involved in all of the band stuff, but honestly 99% of the fans just want to know if the fanfare is changing.

I'm no attorney, but I'm not exactly sure how the hiring of a band director could lead to Boren going down. If there were some drugs or dead hookers in there, then I'd probably be interested.

2centsworth
8/9/2013, 11:03 AM

This is so wrong I don't know where to begin. First of all, they had almost exactly the same qualifications. Both have doctoral degrees (he in Percussion Performance, she in Wind Band Conducting), neither has experience as a director (and Interim Director in the Spring semester doesn't count because there's nothing to direct in the Spring), but both have been assistant director's at a large comparable Universities, and he actually has much more experience with writing music and drill for many bands including college bands and drum and bugle corps. So to say he is unqualified or didn't meet the qualifications is just wrong.

If you don't know, the vote was 3-2 to recommend Dr. T. for the position but the search committee has no authority to hire - they are only a screening committee that sends a recommendation. The Regents have the ultimate decision on hiring and can accept or reject the recommendation as they see fit. So there were no violations of hiring practices, or law (that's laughable), or University policy. I appreciate your passion, but please know your facts before you start making allegations.

I too will not be happy if the Fanfare is changed, not unhappy that Grand Old Flag is out, and wont mind if the pit isn't there. It's a marching band, not a concert band after all. I'm willing to see what changes are made before I get too upset with what's going on and I'm also willing to give the new director a chance rather than crucifying him before he ever gets started.

Proud Pride Alumni

TXSooner
8/9/2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks Proud Pride Alumni - that's the most rational and informed commentary I've read yet.

tycat947
8/9/2013, 02:53 PM
Yes, love how a rumor starts and the sh** starts flying!

Scott D
8/9/2013, 06:29 PM
Seems to me the most sense would be to get rid of everything Britt implemented, problem solved ;)

bobcatsoonermagic
8/9/2013, 07:47 PM
This is so wrong I don't know where to begin. First of all, they had almost exactly the same qualifications. Both have doctoral degrees (he in Percussion Performance, she in Wind Band Conducting), neither has experience as a director (and Interim Director in the Spring semester doesn't count because there's nothing to direct in the Spring), but both have been assistant director's at a large comparable Universities, and he actually has much more experience with writing music and drill for many bands including college bands and drum and bugle corps. So to say he is unqualified or didn't meet the qualifications is just wrong.

If you don't know, the vote was 3-2 to recommend Dr. T. for the position but the search committee has no authority to hire - they are only a screening committee that sends a recommendation. The Regents have the ultimate decision on hiring and can accept or reject the recommendation as they see fit. So there were no violations of hiring practices, or law (that's laughable), or University policy. I appreciate your passion, but please know your facts before you start making allegations.

I too will not be happy if the Fanfare is changed, not unhappy that Grand Old Flag is out, and wont mind if the pit isn't there. It's a marching band, not a concert band after all. I'm willing to see what changes are made before I get too upset with what's going on and I'm also willing to give the new director a chance rather than crucifying him before he ever gets started.

Proud Pride Alumni

Well, first of all, I didn't make any allegations. I simply referred to allegations that are already being widely made, and are likely to be made in the media very, very soon. I'll be quite content to see how things shake out, if and when all the facts come out.

As far as any potential university or legal violations, I'll reiterate your very advice --- know your facts before you dismiss possible issues. Unless you were directly involved during the entire process, and have first hand knowledge of all of the processes and communications involved, my guess is you probably don't know all the facts, either. But I think all those facts will come out, and fairly soon, at that. Then I suppose we'll see what we see. But just don't dismiss the possibility so casually, at least not yet.

And as far as knowing the facts, I don't know who your source is, or how close to the situation they are -- but I know mine --- and for reliability, I'll take mine.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/9/2013, 08:44 PM
FAHR BRANT VUNERBELLS

2centsworth
8/10/2013, 09:21 AM
Well, first of all, I didn't make any allegations. I simply referred to allegations that are already being widely made, and are likely to be made in the media very, very soon. I'll be quite content to see how things shake out, if and when all the facts come out.

As far as any potential university or legal violations, I'll reiterate your very advice --- know your facts before you dismiss possible issues. Unless you were directly involved during the entire process, and have first hand knowledge of all of the processes and communications involved, my guess is you probably don't know all the facts, either. But I think all those facts will come out, and fairly soon, at that. Then I suppose we'll see what we see. But just don't dismiss the possibility so casually, at least not yet.

And as far as knowing the facts, I don't know who your source is, or how close to the situation they are -- but I know mine --- and for reliability, I'll take mine.

I was directly involved and do know the facts, so I'll stick with my contentions over your "sources."

C&CDean
8/11/2013, 03:54 PM
Look. A band geek dick measuring contest.

PLaw
8/11/2013, 06:06 PM
https://www.ou.edu/content/publicaffairs/archives/AssistantDirectorofUniversityofWisconsinMarchingBa ndNamedNewDirectorofthePride.html

and there you go...seriously, **** this guy if all of this is true.

How in the name of Bud Wilkinson did they hire a commie as the OU band director?

This is bad.

I want my FanFare!!

Bummer

MichiganSooner
8/11/2013, 08:23 PM
Pride auditions will be held soon and then rehearsals will begin. Will some 2013 Pride members get on here and let us know what the deal is with the Pregame Show asap?

badger
8/12/2013, 09:41 AM
Pride auditions will be held soon and then rehearsals will begin. Will some 2013 Pride members get on here and let us know what the deal is with the Pregame Show asap?

It will be VERY interesting to see how many actually show up to audition. Hard to impersonate Wisconsin's band with only 150 members.

MichiganSooner
8/12/2013, 10:46 AM
It will be VERY interesting to see how many actually show up to audition. Hard to impersonate Wisconsin's band with only 150 members.

More than 300 are enrolled and moving in today. Auditions start Tuesday and band roster announced Thursday. You know the routine, badger.

badger
8/12/2013, 11:00 AM
More than 300 are enrolled and moving in today. Auditions start Tuesday and band roster announced Thursday. You know the routine, badger.

Heh, "the routine" :)

Random student: I'm auditioning for Pride. Can I move into the dorms Tuesday instead of Weds/Thurs like everyone else?
OU: Sure!
(random student never shows up for Pride auditions and nobody bats an eye)

Not saying this is common, but it is possible. I would also say that some that may protest changes are hedging bets and will start things off like normal, and may perhaps drop out after the changes are officially announced.

This is all speculation, of course. As the cliche goes, don't count your chickens before they're hatched

TheHumanAlphabet
8/12/2013, 12:46 PM

I have an old alumni friend with children in The Pride... What is this Leadership Academy or whatever??? they reported last week? Never heard of that... Back in my day, we just had section leaders.

badger
8/12/2013, 12:56 PM
I have an old alumni friend with children in The Pride... What is this Leadership Academy or whatever??? they reported last week? Never heard of that... Back in my day, we just had section leaders.

One of my final years in school I was helping clean out/print music/etc before camp since I was living in Norman so I was present for parts of this. Basically, the section leaders would show up early to run through music, give examples of how to grade auditions (e.g. a really bad trumpet player that couldn't play an entire scale versus a trumpet player that hit every note).

2centsworth
8/12/2013, 01:09 PM

This is from the Pride Alumni Facebook page (hope no copyright infringement!). Maybe this will answer some of the questions. . .

Alright ya'll. The current drum major was over at my house last night. This is a bit of what is going on:

The Pride will still be running out of the tunnels.
The Fanfare has been slightly modified, but the dm likes the changes.
Grand Old Flag is being replaced with America the Beautiful.
The Interlocking OU Drill is being changed a bit.
The marching style is different, but the dm thinks it looks better than what the Pride has been doing.
The Pride will NOT be making the visiting team's logo on the field, but WILL play their fight song at the end of the game if the visitor wins.
There are between 270-300 people signed up to audition. (I don't remember the exact number right off the bat.)

The drum major thinks all the changes being made are positive ones.

The opposing team's fight song played at the end of the game only if we lose. Now that will go over big! Bet it won't happen more than once - the athletic department will put a stop to that!

champions77
8/12/2013, 01:34 PM
This is from the Pride Alumni Facebook page (hope no copyright infringement!). Maybe this will answer some of the questions. . .

Alright ya'll. The current drum major was over at my house last night. This is a bit of what is going on:

The Pride will still be running out of the tunnels.
The Fanfare has been slightly modified, but the dm likes the changes.
Grand Old Flag is being replaced with America the Beautiful.
The Interlocking OU Drill is being changed a bit.
The marching style is different, but the dm thinks it looks better than what the Pride has been doing.
The Pride will NOT be making the visiting team's logo on the field, but WILL play their fight song at the end of the game if the visitor wins.
There are between 270-300 people signed up to audition. (I don't remember the exact number right off the bat.)

The drum major thinks all the changes being made are positive ones.

The opposing team's fight song played at the end of the game only if we lose. Now that will go over big! Bet it won't happen more than once - the athletic department will put a stop to that!

So osu beats us in Norman, and besides feeling terrible that we just lost to the pukes, we walk out of our stadium hearing their fight song? This has to be the worst idea that I have ever heard of when it comes to OU. What is this "kiss up" because teams/schools hate us because we've been kicking their tails for the last 100 years? Earth to Boren and new band director.....they will still hate us, but now they will think we are incredibly stupid.

badger
8/12/2013, 01:41 PM

If I recall correctly, the OSU fans booed us band people as we played their "Ride Ride" during pregame for them. And of course, the OU fans booed us too. Texas A&M was also peeved that we would dare trample on their sacred war memorial campus lawns... errrrr, I mean, play their fight song.

After that season, a policy of us contacting the opposing school to ask if they would like to play it themselves, or if we could play it was instituted. More than a few opted to play it themselves as we stood there silently.

PS: The OSU fans rushed our field (but fortunately stayed in their corner) after beating us in 2001. I would like to think that we wouldn't have been obliged to play "Ride Ride" in a situation like that :stunned::les::eddie:

TheHumanAlphabet
8/12/2013, 01:58 PM
Coach always loved to play "Ride Em" during pre-game as he said we played it better and louder than their fans would ever hear...

Badg...Thanks for the info.

badger
8/12/2013, 02:20 PM
Since it's been 12 years and it probably doesn't matter anymore, during the morning rehearsal, the director told us that he heard about a plan that some members had to botch "Ride Ride" during pregame (if you recall, the Poke game that year would result in a very good shot at the Big 12 championship and a nat'l title game berth, but all of that would go to Texas if we lost). He said that he would personally escort any members off the field that he saw doing that during pregame.

So, "Ride Ride" did happen (and I personally did not botch it, because does it really matter?), and the entire stadium, OU and OSU fans alike, booed the band for it.

Epilogue: We lost to OSU, putting whorn in the Big 12 game. Whorn lost to Colorado (wtf?!?!?!), putting Colorado in the national title game... hahahahaha, I mean, Big 12 North runner-up Nebraska, who then of course went on to win the national title since they belonged in that game and all.

....hahahahahahaha. Just kidding. They won the coin toss then were never seen again. What a cluster**** the end of that season was, as well as the BCS.

MichiganSooner
8/14/2013, 03:35 PM
Brian Britt took over as director of the Pride in 2001. Apparently, people thought that the new director would completely change Pregame. Listen from 10:48 to 11:48 marks of the video below.
By the way, this video has footage of the huge American flag and the halftime show with Amazing Grace and patriotic songs to help us in the healing process after the 9/11 attacks. You might want to listen to that footage as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=167Ss-1vw_I

Peeb
8/16/2013, 12:18 AM
So osu beats us in Norman, and besides feeling terrible that we just lost to the pukes, we walk out of our stadium hearing their fight song? This has to be the worst idea that I have ever heard of when it comes to OU. What is this "kiss up" because teams/schools hate us because we've been kicking their tails for the last 100 years? Earth to Boren and new band director.....they will still hate us, but now they will think we are incredibly stupid.

I agree that this idea is, ummm, odd.

The concept is nice in an abstract we're-all-colleagues way I suppose, but in practice it will be supremely irritating to hear YOUR band playing the visitor's fight song after a bitterly contested game.

Why do that to yourself on purpose?

MichiganSooner
8/16/2013, 10:35 AM
According to the Pride of Oklahoma facebook page, auditions are complete. There are 290 in our team's band.

28 flutes, 27 clarinets, 36 saxophones, 43 trumpets, 31 mellophones, 36 trombones, 15 baritones, 14 sousaphones, 28 percussion, 24 flags, 1 twirler, 1 drum major, 6 rehearsal techs.

This is about the size of our band over past several seasons. I think it peaked at around 320-325 during the Jason White, AD years.

colleyvillesooner
8/16/2013, 02:26 PM
MOTHER. OF. GOD.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2585616614/

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151869901823885

Few posts down by is the new fanfare...good lord. Need facebook to view

badger
8/16/2013, 02:55 PM
MOTHER. OF. GOD.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2585616614/

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151869901823885

Few posts down by is the new fanfare...good lord. Need facebook to view

Must-view for anyone that has cares about the pregame show.

I personally don't mind the changes from what I'm seeing in the videos. Will be interesting to see how it looks against ULM in a few weeks :)

If it matters: I was in Pride in the early aughts for 5 years

colleyvillesooner
8/16/2013, 03:03 PM
My biggest point after hearing ti is why did it need to change? That sounds awful.

badger
8/16/2013, 03:07 PM
My biggest point after hearing ti is why did it need to change? That sounds awful.

It's rehearsal and a first week rehearsal at that with new music, so I'm being quite lenient with how it sounds right now :)

colleyvillesooner
8/16/2013, 03:10 PM
Still Doesn't mean it had to change? I'm not talking about the clarity or it being in "sync". I don't care for the arrangement and style. At all.

MsProudSooner
8/16/2013, 04:00 PM
I see what he's trying to do with the fanfare and I guess I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt right now. Two more weeks of practice will do wonders.

The change in the run on doesn't seem huge to me. Some one said it looks like OSU. I've never watched a minute of their band so I don't know. Not a good idea if it does look like them.

MsProudSooner
8/16/2013, 04:02 PM
According to the Pride of Oklahoma facebook page, auditions are complete. There are 290 in our team's band.

28 flutes, 27 clarinets, 36 saxophones, 43 trumpets, 31 mellophones, 36 trombones, 15 baritones, 14 sousaphones, 28 percussion, 24 flags, 1 twirler, 1 drum major, 6 rehearsal techs.

This is about the size of our band over past several seasons. I think it peaked at around 320-325 during the Jason White, AD years.

How is this different from the mix of instruments in the past?

badger
8/16/2013, 04:18 PM
Some one said it looks like OSU. I've never watched a minute of their band so I don't know. Not a good idea if it does look like them.

You know those action figures with karate-chop action?

:D j/k, all in fun. A few of them stood between their field-rush fans and us in 2002 at Stillwater to keep them from tossing a downed goalpost our direction

How is this different from the mix of instruments in the past?

Based on alum facebook discussions, it sounds like they eliminated those percussionists that stand at the front of the band that don't march ("The Pit") and a few tuba alums (whom i love, so please don't hate) are pointing out that there are no longer two-dozen-plus-one. I also recall very few years when I was in that there were fewer than 50 trumpets.

Other FB chatter mentions that there might have originally been a plan to not have woodwinds in pregame, and that about 50 full band members will not march pregame (but might just be a high-end estimate based on photos/videos).

EDIT: Nevermind, sounds like the front percussion ensemble still exists

MsProudSooner
8/16/2013, 04:24 PM
You know those action figures with karate-chop action?

:D j/k, all in fun. A few of them stood between their field-rush fans and us in 2002 at Stillwater to keep them from tossing a downed goalpost our direction

Based on alum facebook discussions, it sounds like they eliminated those percussionists that stand at the front of the band that don't march ("The Pit") and a few tuba alums (whom i love, so please don't hate) are pointing out that there are no longer two-dozen-plus-one. I also recall very few years when I was in that there were fewer than 50 trumpets.

Other FB chatter mentions that there might have originally been a plan to not have woodwinds in pregame, and that about 50 full band members will not march pregame (but might just be a high-end estimate based on photos/videos).

I've noticed in the past that not everyone seemed to march in the pre-game, but I never knew why.

badger
8/16/2013, 04:39 PM
I've noticed in the past that not everyone seemed to march in the pre-game, but I never knew why.

So that Boren's damn "THERE'S ONE ONE" flag could get waved in the stands?

(sadly, that's probably the real answer)

colleyvillesooner
8/16/2013, 08:25 PM
This has to be enough for Trammel to go off of correct?

8timechamps
8/16/2013, 10:37 PM
This is not a knock on the members of the Pride, or how they executed the new piece. In fact, they could play it perfect, and my opinion would be the exact same...it's terrible.

Why would anyone come in and change tradition? I could understand if OU were some mid-level program, with little to no success. But, that's not the case.

I don't think this is going to end well for whomever the new director is...you don't mess with tradition.

colleyvillesooner
8/16/2013, 10:53 PM
I agree with all of that. I think all the non Facebook and message board crowds to have huge WTF look on their face when it starts. I predict it goes back next year. Ultimate would be to re install the old in Dallas. Pandemonium.

BajaOklahoma
8/16/2013, 11:01 PM
Still Doesn't mean it had to change? I'm not talking about the clarity or it being in "sync". I don't care for the arrangement and style. At all.

This!
Pathetic.

MsProudSooner
8/17/2013, 07:43 AM
How long has the band been playing the fanfare?

tycat947
8/17/2013, 08:08 AM

I'm not sure but there have been minor changes in the fanfare before. The yelling of "OU" wasn't always part of the fanfare and I don't think they always turned during the fanfare but I can't remember for sure.

MichiganSooner
8/17/2013, 09:06 AM
Alumni Band should make it to Norman in massive numbers. Not the usual 80-120. I mean 500+. You would not just play Boomer Sooner a couple times down the field but The Fanfare (real one) with Oklahoma. Just stand and play it in a huge block of wind & percussion humanity stretching from 30-30 yard lines; shoulder to shoulder and get off the field. Can you imagine the crowd reaction?

Piware
8/17/2013, 06:08 PM
Wow! That is a real disappointment. Not the kids - they always work hard and do well but that arrangement is awful.

8timechamps
8/17/2013, 06:21 PM

At the very least, 30 years. But, I suspect much longer. I'm only going off memory and what I've been able to find on YouTube.

Scott D
8/17/2013, 09:45 PM
If that's what the future holds, then the band can start playing chemistry experiments and leave the pregame to an ipod :wink:

Soonerus
8/17/2013, 09:50 PM
Need the "fanfare"....

CatfishSooner
8/17/2013, 11:24 PM
don't mess w/ the "fanfare"...

Ruf/Nek7
8/18/2013, 07:19 PM
Are they doing away with forming the OU and marching down the field too?

SoonerPride
8/19/2013, 09:01 AM
According to what I've heard, yes, more or less. The interlocking block OU is gone. They will form some 1950s rounded version apparently.

badger
8/19/2013, 10:31 AM
Did anyone listen to BBJ's WWLS show this morning? They were apparently discussing the band's pregame changes.

Pricetag
8/19/2013, 10:48 AM
Yep, I heard it. They played the new version, and they were pretty harshly critical of it. Spinozi was on there, and he wasn't happy. He was wanting to get the names of the donors/regents/boosters behind the changes out there.

Oops, I was talking about the Morning Animals. Good to hear that BBJ is talking about it, too.

CincySooner
8/19/2013, 01:46 PM

I thought it was because pre-game was the one show that Coach never wanted to march a "hole" in the formation. The kids in the stands were back-ups in case someone didn't make it to morning rehearsal. At least I thought that's what it was.

badger
8/19/2013, 01:59 PM
I thought it was because pre-game was the one show that Coach never wanted to march a "hole" in the formation. The kids in the stands were back-ups in case someone didn't make it to morning rehearsal. At least I thought that's what it was.

That's how I remember it immediately after Coach's retirement as well. Initially, there were challenges if you were an alternate to get into pregame as well.

47Wins
8/19/2013, 02:07 PM
At what point does Boren and Barbara Streisand sing a national anthem duet, Jeez it ain't broke so it don't need fixin.

mainline13
8/19/2013, 08:41 PM
Look. A band geek dick measuring contest.

Post of the year nomination.

Seriously, though, between Dean and Badger, the laughs just keep comin'!

mainline13
8/19/2013, 08:48 PM
i'd rather not expose Mr. Trammel to some of the fine people on this board ;)

"Mr. Trammel?"

It isn't former Detroit Tiger Alan Trammel, for cryin' out loud, it's just the local Billy Joel wannabe!

badger
8/20/2013, 02:04 PM
BTW: The Internet has won. (http://newsok.com/pride-of-oklahoma-band-will-stick-to-traditional-pregame-ritual/article/3873817)

NORMAN — First-year Pride of Oklahoma Director Justin Stolarik experimented with changes to the marching band’s pregame ritual, but has decided to stick with tradition.

“The band believes in listening to the views of our many fans, and they have asked that we keep our traditional pre-game fanfare,” Stolarik said in a news release “That’s exactly what we are going to do! While we have experimented with alternatives, we also listen carefully to our fans. By listening, we reached the conclusion that we would keep our traditional fanfare.”

Congratulations, Internet.

Mjcpr
8/20/2013, 02:05 PM
I hope this news reaches colley before he jumps off the ledge.

sooner_born_1960
8/20/2013, 02:25 PM
Now that this important decision has been reached, it's time to move on to trivial matters, like the starting quarterback.

colleyvillesooner
8/20/2013, 02:31 PM

:mad:

Scott D
8/20/2013, 03:17 PM

why? then we have to push him. :D

champions77
8/20/2013, 03:44 PM
BTW: The Internet has won. (http://newsok.com/pride-of-oklahoma-band-will-stick-to-traditional-pregame-ritual/article/3873817)

Congratulations, Internet.

You notice he did not address the matter we are all most interested in.......playing the opponents fight song after the game, whether OU wins or losses. That cannot happen.

badger
8/20/2013, 03:49 PM
You notice he did not address the matter we are all most interested in.......playing the opponents fight song after the game, whether OU wins or losses. That cannot happen.

Check Jason Kersey's (the article author) twitter. Or, just wait for me to post a tweet here:

Dr. William Wakefield, director of OU bands, unequivocally denies the Pride will play opponent's fight song in postgame. Story coming soon

badger
8/20/2013, 03:55 PM
New interlocking OU --- multi-colored, more people.

Basically, the band will wear its white uniforms, as will the cheer squads, then the student section will fill it in. Student section participants will be required to wear crimson attire to enter the field.

Here's a photo posted online what it will look like:
http://www.ou.edu/content/publicaffairs/archives/OUPresidentDavidBorenAndCoachesJoinNewSoonersForCl assOf2017Photo/jcr%3acontent/contentpar/image.img.png/1377012064683.png

JUST KIDDING.

...before you freak out, here's what's really going on. (http://www.ou.edu/content/publicaffairs/archives/OUPresidentDavidBorenAndCoachesJoinNewSoonersForCl assOf2017Photo.html)

Lott's Bandana
8/20/2013, 04:26 PM

I emailed Berry too. We were NHS classmates. He responded by saying "...they were going to check it out."

I never saw anything directly written from him, but NEWSOK now has the story on their front page.

colleyvillesooner
8/20/2013, 04:57 PM

why? then we have to push him. :D

:mad: :mad:

soonersweetie
8/20/2013, 06:45 PM
Just saw the story on Channel 6 here in Tulsa. Glad to know that our collective efforts were heard. :)

Next issue, why, oh why can't the cheer squads ever match their poms to their uniforms? They are never right. They are always just a little off. Just annoying (sorta kidding here, lol)

colleyvillesooner
8/20/2013, 07:09 PM
http://newsok.com/pride-of-oklahoma-band-will-stick-to-traditional-pregame-ritual/article/3873817

Wakefield asked that fans be supportive of the band members.

“I think our students deserve our fans’ support,” Wakefield said. “I would sure hate to see a negative reaction toward the students in a university setting.

“Really, I mean there are people in Afghanistan being killed. This is not life or death. This is about entertainment, which is really important and there are high ticket prices, and an expectation for a return on that dollar that’s high, and we certainly are aware of that and we certainly wouldn’t want people to be disappointed or angry at the band.”

Oh go **** yourself. Cause that's what people were comparing it too. They got caught changing something the majority of people didn't want messed with and played the "we weren't going to do it it was just an experiment" card.

Man, whole lot of tail between the legs, sour grapes in that article.

No one was criticizing how the band sounded, it was what they were playing. No amount of practices was gonna change anyone's minds. Smug mother****er

8timechamps
8/20/2013, 07:31 PM
http://newsok.com/pride-of-oklahoma-band-will-stick-to-traditional-pregame-ritual/article/3873817

Oh go **** yourself. Cause that's what people were comparing it too. They got caught changing something the majority of people didn't want messed with and played the "we weren't going to do it it was just an experiment" card.

Man, whole lot of tail between the legs, sour grapes in that article.

No one was criticizing how the band sounded, it was what they were playing. No amount of practices was gonna change anyone's minds. Smug mother****er

Yep.

When I first started reading the article, I thought "hey, maybe this guy get's it, and really listened". Then I read that part, and wanted to punch him. Sounds like a little whiny bitch.

Does he realize where he is?

TheHumanAlphabet
8/20/2013, 08:18 PM
As a former Pride member, we really NEVER did anything to experiment and then decide not to do. It is hard enough to chart out a drill, copy it for 300+ people and then distribute it...when you do and send it to the band, it is a done deal. Wakefield is a back pedalling ***** and Boren's lackey...

Thrailkill, who retired 12 years ago, said he has “thoughts” about the proposed changes, but declined to elaborate on them.
“At this point, it doesn’t make a whole lot (of difference) what I think,” Thrailkill said. “I’ve been gone for 12 years. There’s gonna be changes. Sometimes they’re more dramatic than others, but anytime you bring a new person in, you expect changes.
“It hurts to see what’s happening with the kids. It’s not their fault. Unfortunately in education a lot of times, the kids are the last people to be considered. I feel sorry for them.”

Yes and Coach voted against this guy...He is being nice. I am sure Coach is privately chuckling to himself...

This blew up big time and now they have egg on their face...

BTW, anybody in the current Pride or knowledge thereof, did the upperclass bolt as rumored, or did everyone stay when this came back to senses??

Judge Smails
8/20/2013, 10:51 PM
THERE'S 11?

So that Boren's damn "THERE'S ONE ONE" flag could get waved in the stands?

(sadly, that's probably the real answer)

MyT Oklahoma
8/20/2013, 11:11 PM
Just get rid of these new d-bags and all will be well again.

P.S. I am serious. Flush 'em.

tycat947
8/20/2013, 11:22 PM
Now everyone can go back to sleep.

MichiganSooner
8/20/2013, 11:41 PM
The kids in the band deserve our full support. They bust their butts in 4 day 2 hour per day band class & practice about 3 hours on a game day and get 1 hour of academic credit. Few get a band sclly. Get to go to games free but sit in uniform. I have high regard for what they do. Auditions are very competitive. Why can't new director get every kid on the fiekd like Brian Britt? Sitting out about 60 kids is not right & WE NEED SOUND.

tycat947
8/21/2013, 01:06 AM
The kids in the band deserve our full support. They bust their butts in 4 day 2 hour per day band class & practice about 3 hours on a game day and get 1 hour of academic credit. Few get a band sclly. Get to go to games free but sit in uniform. I have high regard for what they do. Auditions are very competitive. Why can't new director get every kid on the fiekd like Brian Britt? Sitting out about 60 kids is not right & WE NEED SOUND.

Agree about the support! That's why I think it's disappointing that fans flock to the exits during halftime show.

I think they've changed the instrument makeup of the band to address the sound issues maybe but haven't seen that 60 were sitting out.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/21/2013, 02:23 AM
What, were 60 cut? what were the instrumentation cuts? That is a big number...

colleyvillesooner
8/21/2013, 07:56 AM
No I think 50-60 are not marching

badger
8/21/2013, 08:11 AM
P.S. I am serious. Flush 'em.

Nah, the bathroom line at Owen Field is too long :P

jkjsooner
8/21/2013, 08:29 AM
Agree about the support! That's why I think it's disappointing that fans flock to the exits during halftime show.

I love the band and really appreciate what these kids do for our university but let's be a little realistic. The fans are there to see football. Sometimes they have to go take a **** or get a drink...

And let's be honest, most halftime shows aren't that good. Unlike pregame shows, the halftime shows aren't the type of music that sounds good outside.

OUTrumpet
8/21/2013, 11:16 AM
No I think 50-60 are not marching

From what I've read, 282 made the band but only 225 are allowed to march.

PrideMom
8/21/2013, 11:44 AM
You can tell by my ID Name that my son was in the Pride, and I know how hard he had to work to be in it. It is one of the few bands that requires individual try outs to qualify to play. The player plays behind a curtain so there is no bias for seniors, etc. My son played at OSU in the 1984 "Ice Bowl". But his reward was also playing in the Orange Bowl for the national championship!! The arrangement for "Oklahoma" is best I have ever heard. DO NOT CHANGE IT! (Especially the last few "Boomer, Sooner" bars at the end!)

TheHumanAlphabet
8/21/2013, 09:38 PM
From what I've read, 282 made the band but only 225 are allowed to march.

That makes no sense. That is a ****-load of alternates. More than I have ever seen. That is also a really small Pride. What is the guy going to do, have 2 bands? a marching band and a stand band??? :eek:

badger
8/22/2013, 09:21 AM
That makes no sense. That is a ****-load of alternates. More than I have ever seen. That is also a really small Pride. What is the guy going to do, have 2 bands? a marching band and a stand band??? :eek:

If they are really doing that fast-paced, need-to-pee march style, it's possible that not every member is physically fit enough to do that.

Yes, I called it that. That's what it struck me as when I initially saw it --- dancing in place, waiting for the restroom stall door to open :P

TheHumanAlphabet
8/22/2013, 08:41 PM
Interesting... I will need to brush up of UofW youtube videos of the Wisky band to see what you mean... I have relatives in the band, but outside of playing the Budweiser song, I don't know much about the Badger Band.

badger
8/24/2013, 05:47 PM
To those who care, check alum Facebook page linked earlier in this thread.

Due to Internet rumors mostly being just rumors, I'm not gonna post specifics, but just know that what is being said about ou administration is absolutely unacceptable.

Stay tuned...

BajaOklahoma
8/24/2013, 08:32 PM
I'm too lazy to go back and see which link you are referring to, but ones I've seen aren't too bad. Admin now knows how much we love the Fanfare and it is safe. We finally have a QB named, what's not to like.

MichiganSooner
8/24/2013, 10:09 PM
To those who care, check alum Facebook page linked earlier in this thread.

Due to Internet rumors mostly being just rumors, I'm not gonna post specifics, but just know that what is being said about ou administration is absolutely unacceptable.

Stay tuned...

Badger-not sure what you mean by your last sentence. (Is the administration unacceptable or the rumors?).

Seems like some of the alumni, if not most, are mad because who was selected and because the search committee's recommendation was not followed. First, Dr. Boren gets the final call in a hire like this; the search committee is just that...a committee. The students liked the the Interim Director (former asst director) and being familiar with her, she would naturally be their choice. And I have to give a lot of weight to anything from Coach, Wakefield, et al. But for alums to say that the new director is less qualified than the interim is nonsense. Both have doctorates; neither has led a major university band; both have been assistant directors of a major band. One went to Texas for part of his education, the other to Florida, for crying out loud. On the other hand, the influence of a booster/regent may be a story. Bottom line, I would be surprised if Boren did anything unethical or illegal in the hiring process.
I am an interested outsider; no inside information; just my opinion.

badger
8/25/2013, 04:43 PM
I know how cryptic I sounded, but because I don't trust Internet rumors in general, I will not repeat them here. If you do not hear anything bad about OU's admin in the next few days, then we're probably in the clear :)

If you do, brace yourself for the sharknado

Al Gore
8/25/2013, 05:11 PM
When do they march through campus corner?

badger
8/30/2013, 09:09 AM
Does this link work? (http://attachment.fbsbx.com/file_download.php?id=376803629117188&eid=ASvPvV5RTO8FIdCJYPotesS1erfV0hkleVDr4hC5yjaPLZ XUWuSCCQU0ngUNyxi0uwo&inline=1&ext=1377871769&hash=ASsm2EknUPld-nVv)

If not, go to the Pride alumni facebook page for the report.

Lott's Bandana
8/30/2013, 10:11 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqm8so8ftwnfofh/value%20of%20tradition.pdf

It is an interesting read and explains (if true) how the entire "change the Pride to Badgers" scenario began.

badger
8/30/2013, 10:24 AM
I don't really care about the students not getting input. Kids, get used to adults ignoring your opinion. They have for 18+ years and aren't going to stop. If you have a good idea, an adult will probably take credit for it. Sorry :)

Surprisingly, the "that woman" comment does not phase me either. I don't think it was a sexist comment, but rather, someone that wouldn't refer to her by name but said enough to know who they're talking about. Also, I have found that the older and wealthier people get, the more offensive they sound to the rest of us, regardless of their intent or true nature.

It also doesn't surprise me that the athletic department would want the band to play less and the Soonervision ads to play more. Back when I was a Pride member, this would have been an extremely welcomed change, especially the final few years when the guy up front seemed more interesting in directing a music group regardless of the situation on the field (punt? BOOMER SOONER! dropped pass? BOOMER SOONER! missed field goal, other team does something good or even scores? BOOMER ****ING SOONER). It was exhausting and at times frustrating how often the band was being directed to play at some of the most inopportune times (there were people in my section that revolted and refused to play when we were directed to do "That's the Way I Like It" during the 2005 Orange Bowl when other-team was up by an insurmountable amount of points in the second half). About the only time we could stop playing was when a player was injured... or Soonervision ordered it.

Also, some other ex-Pride members confirmed this on facebook: Pride alums are being called en masse this week, being asked for donations. It sounds like they're trying to get our money before we see the product on the field/in the stands this weekend.

Do me a favor, SF.com --- get pregame/halftime on Youtube, vimeo, wherever on the Internet you can. This alum has mommy duty, but is very interested to see the end result of this very crazy offseason tale.

colleyvillesooner
8/30/2013, 12:09 PM
I will try and video the pregame from my phone.

MsProudSooner
8/30/2013, 02:29 PM
I'm curious if what we will see in pre-game will be an old Wisconsin pre-game played with Oklahoma music. Call me crazy, but I think the director of The Pride should be more creative than that.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/31/2013, 10:25 AM
I had heard rumors of this and am just sick. **** Max, **** Boren, they need to be run over with the Schooner and trampled in the nuts by the pony's hooves. Those smug sombitches... Hope they call me, i will give them a piece of my mind.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/1/2013, 08:22 AM
So, any video of pregame. Facebook is lit up with complaints.

MsProudSooner
9/1/2013, 08:47 AM

I was going to post a link to the Pride's Alumni Facebook page because there were a couple of videos posted there. But since the end of the game last night, they have changed it to a closed group. After the game there was a lively discussion about whether posting critical comments was fair to the current band members. I don't think anyone is critical of the band members themselves. The problem is what the director had them do.

cleller
9/1/2013, 09:00 AM

I read in the Oklahoman that they kept the fanfare. What now?

soonersweetie
9/1/2013, 11:06 AM
Way too much brass, I think I counted 6 clarinets and 3 flutes. Music very hard to hear, if you think they were hard to hear before, hard to hear them at all now. The music also sounds very tinny, no depth to it. Just wrong

The fanfare is still there. They don't run on to the field like before. They come in from the sidelines. To be honest, the band looked lost too. Did the OU Chant, couldn't even hear America the Beautiful. They did the National Anthem and the other team's song as normal. Then, in all horror, idiot announcer yells, let's get it started, and yells Boomer, like we're supposed to respond, does that a couple of times then the band starts with Boomer Sooner, which also is hard to hear. Um, excuse me Mr. Announcer, but I think we have this Boomer/Sooner thing down just fine. We don't need to be "told" when to yell what.

It was horrid, just horrid. Very, very dissappointed.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/1/2013, 11:49 AM
I read in the Oklahoman that they kept the fanfare. What now?
I saw one video from the stands, the band was small, didn't even fill up the from sideline to sideline, they had to do some chevrons to look big. Sound was wimpy, but could have been from the iPhone shots. Couldn't tell on the run in what the marching was like. I could only count 12 tubas at halftime on the video I saw. God! I hope they aren't marching only 12... The halftime music sounded lame and uninspiring.

i was an old member of the facebook thing, so I am seeing it...

i think the complaints about Regent influence is critical. Sad day if Boren is in on it as well. Waiting to learn more before I fire off a letter to him.

i have seen bigger and better sounding Pride's. why such a small Pride, I don't get that.

bluedogok
9/1/2013, 01:17 PM
i have seen bigger and better sounding Pride's. why such a small Pride, I don't get that.
Possibly because there aren't as many kids interested in band? I know my wife said her high school band in a small, West Texas town is half the size that it was when she graduated in 1983, it is still bigger than the band we had at PC West in 1982. I know the Austin area high school bands are not like they used to be according to our neighbors. A former co-worker was in the Michigan band in the mid-80's, he says it is much smaller now than back then. Even though there is more population there are just fewer people active in marching bands.

oklaclarinet
9/1/2013, 01:23 PM
I saw one video from the stands, the band was small, didn't even fill up the from sideline to sideline, they had to do some chevrons to look big. Sound was wimpy, but could have been from the iPhone shots. Couldn't tell on the run in what the marching was like. I could only count 12 tubas at halftime on the video I saw. God! I hope they aren't marching only 12... The halftime music sounded lame and uninspiring.

i was an old member of the facebook thing, so I am seeing it...

i think the complaints about Regent influence is critical. Sad day if Boren is in on it as well. Waiting to learn more before I fire off a letter to him.

The band was so small for pregame because that's the way the drill was written. The band has around 290 or so, which is comparable to the last few years. However the pregame is only charted for 225, because the new drill is taken straight from Wisconsin, and that is how many march pregame there. The rest of the band has to sit in the stands, covered by that red OU banner during pregame.

Phil
9/1/2013, 02:13 PM
**** Wisconsin and **** this new band director. Fire his ***. What I saw yesterday was serious fail.

MsProudSooner
9/1/2013, 02:17 PM
The band was so small for pregame because that's the way the drill was written. The band has around 290 or so, which is comparable to the last few years. However the pregame is only charted for 225, because the new drill is taken straight from Wisconsin, and that is how many march pregame there. The rest of the band has to sit in the stands, covered by that red OU banner during pregame.

That just makes my blood boil! If this new guy doesn't have the skills to create a completely new pre-game show, he's not qualified for this job.

IamBigRed
9/1/2013, 03:30 PM
It looked like a quarter of them decided to stay home. There was no energy, no fast high stepping. It was hard to read the OU at the end cause they were so far apart from each other in the formation the lines didn't look very solid. Just a bad showing, but I doubt there is anything we can do about it. Sad that Boren is OK with the Pride going down hill.

ByngSooner
9/1/2013, 03:34 PM
My daughter was at the game and when asked how the band was, her reply, "I couldn't hear them".

Wow.

Guess the Pride is going through the Blake years so to speak, though I'm not sure if anyone will care enough to fix it.

Even strictly from football viewpoint, one only has to watch LSU play to see what a powerful band can do for the traditional football atmosphere.
They were pumping up Jerry Word last night, making it almost seem like playing a home game I'd imagine.

MikeInNorman
9/1/2013, 03:44 PM
I have been at every home game save 2 since 1975.

That was by far the worst pre-game ever. I hoped that the new guy would be an improvement over the last 7 or 8 years in the loudness factor. The band just hasn't been as loud as the old days. But this...... this was weak, no punch, everyone in my section basically said, "what the hell is this"? And it looked like they were marching about half as many as Broken Arrow.

Very disappointing.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/1/2013, 05:22 PM
...The rest of the band has to sit in the stands, covered by that red OU banner during pregame.

that is what that is? How sad for the non marchers... When I was in the Pride, we march everyone but alternates and they were likely on the field moving equipment, etc.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/1/2013, 05:24 PM
That just makes my blood boil! If this new guy doesn't have the skills to create a completely new pre-game show, he's not qualified for this job.
Hence the point from Coach and the rest of the Music Program members, he isn't qualified. He is the hand picked buddy of Max "The Regent because I gave a ****load of money" Weizenhoffer...

MsProudSooner
9/1/2013, 06:47 PM
Hence the point from Coach and the rest of the Music Program members, he isn't qualified. He is the hand picked buddy of Max "The Regent because I gave a ****load of money" Weizenhoffer...

Well, Max isn't the only Regent we have. Hopefully, the rest of them were as disappointed as the peasants in the stands.

HateTheWhorns
9/2/2013, 08:59 AM
Totally embarrassing. I had to apologize to the guests that I brought with me to the game. I was really beginning to question my hearing until I saw other people's posts on here. I hated the entrance (no energy) and the band was WAY too small.

That was the most deflating OU band performance I've seen since I started coming in 1969.

badger
9/2/2013, 09:42 AM
In case you all were at home with a toddler like me:
ZXCfXGVOZuE

I didn't think it was that bad, but the lack of crowd interaction has to be a bit offputting... then again, it's not like the crowd was given a script beforehand on when things were happening and when to sing/clap/etc.

I really expected much worse upon seeing all of the alum facebook comments. I saw the crooked OU photos, so there's a few things to correct... I also saw some color guard jump a bit as the Oklahoma state flag came charging toward them

TXSooner
9/2/2013, 02:24 PM
agree with badger. I think people need to calm down and start thinking about our passing game vs West Virginia.

anytime there's a change in leadership of any organization it takes time for things to jell. seems like we heard the same gripes about every coaching change too.

tycat947
9/2/2013, 02:38 PM
agree with badger. I think people need to calm down and start thinking about our passing game vs West Virginia.

anytime there's a change in leadership of any organization it takes time for things to jell. seems like we heard the same gripes about every coaching change too.

Thank you!

revelladee
9/2/2013, 04:23 PM
Ditto, Badger...my son is a 5th year trumpet player and the changes have been hard on the kids. They are doing what they are told to do...and there has been alot of outside interference and drama ...which has created so much conflict within the band program.....a nightmare to start the school year for the band kids...and this is my son's last year....so, the trumpet player you do hear...the one that didnt quit....that's my son...so clap!!! :-)))

badger
9/2/2013, 07:47 PM
Drama update: Internet rumors suggest that some are not happy within the organization and that it isn't just an alum thing. But, like last time, just rumors and Internet rumors at that.

If you all have a chance, check oudaily.com. They had to retract part of their Pride story already. Not sure what it initially said, but it must not have been something nice about Regent Max Picasso

MsProudSooner
9/2/2013, 09:47 PM
http://oudaily.com/news/2013/aug/31/ou_pride/

soonerwalt
9/2/2013, 11:15 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned already but the poor pom-pon girls literally got ran over by the state flag people, they all had to duck under the flag. It looked like nobody knew what to do or where to go.
In short, IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!!!!

tycat947
9/3/2013, 10:34 AM
Don't know if this has been mentioned already but the poor pom-pon girls literally got ran over by the state flag people, they all had to duck under the flag. It looked like nobody knew what to do or where to go.
In short, IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!!!!

Even though the flag people and the pom-pons are part of the pregame, I don't believe they fall under the band's direction.

badger
9/3/2013, 11:03 AM
Even though the flag people and the pom-pons are part of the pregame, I don't believe they fall under the band's direction.

If you're referring to the state flag, they're a separate group, but I do recall them coming out to at least one rehearsal each year before football season to make sure they have the flag run-on correct.

The color guard is part of the band... I don't think they were expecting to be taken over by the state flag, but then again, the state flag looked like it was unsure when it was supposed to unravel.

The first game of the season pregame... usually "unravel" is a very appropriate word, because there's always some freshman, some other group, or something that goes wrong. It's not exclusive to OU, nor is it exclusive to Mr. New Director's pregame this season.

At least the Schooner didn't run over the state flag causing it to burst into flames... worse yet, at least it didn't run over Bob Stoops, forcing OU to do a last-minute hire: Former KU coach and offensive coordinator Turner Gill and Chuck Long.

MsProudSooner
9/3/2013, 11:12 AM
I copied this from a post on Land Thieves:

One of the 3 finalists for the OU Pride director job was Dr. John Pasquale who got his PhD in wind band conducting from OU. He was named director of the Michigan Marching Band. His first pregame show is on youtube from last Saturday. Not a single thing changed in the routine from what Dr. William D. Revelli drew up decades ago from the PA announcer "ladies and gentleman, the MMB, baaaaand, take the field!" The M fanfare, the Victors, the big block M; the man understands the importance of tradition.

This is a video of the Michigan halftime show on Saturday. They didn't appear to have any of the problems we had:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hezqefTcaro&feature=player_embedded

TheHumanAlphabet
9/3/2013, 11:37 AM
For me, the whole thing boils down to regent influence and personal perk... I could even get over Boren choosing someone else over a recommendation. What we have is daddy warbucks insinuating himself to get his way, and guy, in. That is just wrong, it is not about fairness I know Oklahomans believe in and it is not about the best person getting the gig...

bobcatsoonermagic
9/3/2013, 12:33 PM
All I heard when Stolarik was hired was, "give him a chance". He got that chance on Saturday. He failed. The pregame is right out of the Badger Band drill book (right down to the "mirror W's" in the pregame formation !! Is is now 'Woklahoma' ???). The band was lethargic and without any energy. The halftime was not up to a medicore high school band level ("The 70's were a very unimaginative time in music - so that's what we're gonna play for ya !!!)...........look at Pasquale's first show at Michigan (all over YouTube), then look at Stolarik's. This kid's clearly out of his league. Buy out his contract - get someone in there who knows what they h*ll they're doing - send him back to Max's NY art gallery - before a 109-year-old tradition is irreparably destroyed. Word was that 175 Pride members were ready to march on Boren's house Monday, until the Fine Arts dean threatened them all with loss of scholarship. So much for "Do The Right Thing". At one practice was the University President - Regent Max - Dean of Fine Arts - Dean of School of Music. Does this happen unless they know they have a potential nuclear situation on their hands ??? No way. However, Boren has bought into this, and he is going to insist he made the right choice, come hell or high water. The WVU band is going to shame the Pride this weekend (unfortunately for the Pride members, who are the fall guys for all of this) - and then Notre Dame will shame them even worse than they did last year in Norman, which I attended and was mortified at the difference. Sadly, I'd now give anything to have last year's Pride in the stadium. The Pride has 175 FRESHMEN THIS YEAR. Look for the membership to plummet as soon as the busses get back from South Bend (prevailing opinion these days around the practice field...."I don't need this bull*hit !!!! Life's too short.).

badger
9/3/2013, 12:36 PM
I have read and heard similar things to what bobcat mentioned, but due to my general skepticism of the Internet, I wasn't personally willing to repeat everything

Soooo... did OU at least get a Picasso out of this ordeal? (technically yes (https://www.ou.edu/content/fjjma/experience/exhibitions/currentExhibition/Picasso)!)

MsProudSooner
9/3/2013, 01:01 PM
All I heard when Stolarik was hired was, "give him a chance". He got that chance on Saturday. He failed. The pregame is right out of the Badger Band drill book (right down to the "mirror W's" in the pregame formation !! Is is now 'Woklahoma' ???). The band was lethargic and without any energy. The halftime was not up to a medicore high school band level ("The 70's were a very unimaginative time in music - so that's what we're gonna play for ya !!!)...........look at Pasquale's first show at Michigan (all over YouTube), then look at Stolarik's. This kid's clearly out of his league. Buy out his contract - get someone in there who knows what they h*ll they're doing - send him back to Max's NY art gallery - before a 109-year-old tradition is irreparably destroyed. Word was that 175 Pride members were ready to march on Boren's house Monday, until the Fine Arts dean threatened them all with loss of scholarship. So much for "Do The Right Thing". At one practice was the University President - Regent Max - Dean of Fine Arts - Dean of School of Music. Does this happen unless they know they have a potential nuclear situation on their hands ??? No way. However, Boren has bought into this, and he is going to insist he made the right choice, come hell or high water. The WVU band is going to shame the Pride this weekend (unfortunately for the Pride members, who are the fall guys for all of this) - and then Notre Dame will shame them even worse than they did last year in Norman, which I attended and was mortified at the difference. Sadly, I'd now give anything to have last year's Pride in the stadium. The Pride has 175 FRESHMEN THIS YEAR. Look for the membership to plummet as soon as the busses get back from South Bend (prevailing opinion these days around the practice field...."I don't need this bull*hit !!!! Life's too short.).

After I heard that the fanfare was back in place, I could be counted as one who was willing to give the guy a chance. I thought, "Maybe he'll do whatever Wisconsin does but we'll do it much better." He failed.

Also, does the band usually have that many freshmen?

MsProudSooner
9/3/2013, 01:06 PM
Someone posted this on Land Thieves. It's a pic of the Pride just before pre-game on Saturday compared to the Wisconsin band in the same formation. I never remember seeing the Pride with so many crooked lines - unless it was on purpose.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1264589_10201391437721450_645133097_o.jpg

badger
9/3/2013, 01:16 PM
Also, does the band usually have that many freshmen?

I only remember about 100 freshmen each year in the early aughts. Pretty much every year also had returning members cut during auditions as well.

To any Pride members reading: The Internet has complained for years that the Pride used to be louder and should look like such-and-so college band (used to be Texas A&M when I was in it). Don't let the Internet get to you.

As for the rest of you, next week's performances will show whether the admins, directors and other powers that be have heard your complaints and will act on them. If you are still upset with what you see on the field, then get off the Internet and go back to the channels that got them to take action in the first place (Sports Animal, The Oklahoman, and other local media)

MichiganSooner
9/3/2013, 07:15 PM
I only remember about 100 freshmen each year in the early aughts. Pretty much every year also had returning members cut during auditions as well.

To any Pride members reading: The Internet has complained for years that the Pride used to be louder and should look like such-and-so college band (used to be Texas A&M when I was in it). Don't let the Internet get to you.

As for the rest of you, next week's performances will show whether the admins, directors and other powers that be have heard your complaints and will act on them. If you are still upset with what you see on the field, then get off the Internet and go back to the channels that got them to take action in the first place (Sports Animal, The Oklahoman, and other local media)

As far as the Pride being louder, I honestly do not believe that to be true. Attendance was pitiful during the Blake, etc years. Of course, the Pride sounded loud. The stadium has been expanded and the team mostly redhot during the Britt years. The crowd noise is louder and 85,000 big mouths can go a long ways to drowning out a band.

MsProudSooner
9/3/2013, 07:57 PM
As far as the Pride being louder, I honestly do not believe that to be true. Attendance was pitiful during the Blake, etc years. Of course, the Pride sounded loud. The stadium has been expanded and the team mostly redhot during the Britt years. The crowd noise is louder and 85,000 big mouths can go a long ways to drowning out a band.

Which band was louder when ND came to town last year?

I Am Right
9/3/2013, 08:48 PM
Not good, Is the band smaller than last year? What is up with the PA announcer giving us crap about Boomer Sooner?

I Am Right
9/3/2013, 08:54 PM
Sent a e-mail to band, got a reply on Sunday, said " what is wrong with band performance" I e-mailed him back and said if this is his first year, watch a video from last years band, if he has been here a while, watch a video from last years band. I frankly don't think he cared.

MsProudSooner
9/3/2013, 10:28 PM
Sent a e-mail to band, got a reply on Sunday, said " what is wrong with band performance" I e-mailed him back and said if this is his first year, watch a video from last years band, if he has been here a while, watch a video from last years band. I frankly don't think he cared.

Who, exactly, did you email and who do you think doesn't care?

TheHumanAlphabet
9/4/2013, 01:08 AM
I am waiting until this week to decide to send a note to Boren or not. If so, basically, I will tell him I am withholding my planned donation to Presidential Partners and my companies 3 for 1 match. I will will tell him he can get Max to fund my planned donation. I played with The Pride in '78 when we marched with WVU band. If WVU stomps The Pride, the this new guy is toast IMO or at least should be... The number of Frosh is telling and bad... Would be great to see the UC bail out... Muchety muck at practice are concerned... Is the full Pride going to ND?

ouleaf
9/4/2013, 02:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ5Swo62iZU

Here seems to be the best video/camera angle of both pregame and halftime. I was a member of the Pride beginning in 2001. While I too am a bit uneasy about the changes to pregame, after seeing this video there were a few things I did like. I liked the new pace and transition in between songs, as I did feel parts of the "traditional pregame" took a bit longer than necessary. I liked the order of the songs better too with the inclusion of Fight for OKU as they march off the field and the change of America the Beautiful from Grand Old Flag. Much Kudos to the crowd for singing along loudly as well on a lot of the songs. I also like the Boomer Sooner chant just before the Pride began playing it and moving to the interlocking OU.

What I did not like to here/see was the news that there were a large number of members that were not marching during pregame simply because it did not fit the drill. Those kids auditioned, were selected, and earned a spot out on that field. There is no excuse to have that many sitting on the sidelines and there was obviously plenty of empty space on the field to fill with extra bodies.

The blatant rip off of the marching "asterisk?" formation that the Wisconsin band uses was the next most upsetting thing. Each collegiate band has their own unique style, flair, etc that sets them apart from other bands. When you start copying signature formations of another band that just screams laziness on the part of the new director. If you are going to change something as traditional as pregame, at least make it original.

As for the halftime show, they sounded pretty awful. I'll give them a pass though on that since I'm guess the majority of their rehearsal time has been dedicated to pregame so far. The music selection was maybe the worst part of it though. The kids have no choice in that as it is just handed down to them. The theme song from "Maude"? Really? I hope they don't play this again this week but I could see them having to if they are still trying to work out the kinks on pregame. Also the drill for the halftime show was a joke. I'm guessing little to no time was put into that since again more of the focus this week had to be on pregame.

Overall it seems like The Pride (or is it The University of Oklahoma Marching Band now? I also did not like hearing them announced this way) has lost it's identity. I'm hoping that with a little more time everything will get back on track.

prrriiide
9/4/2013, 06:14 AM

No problem at all hearing the Pride of the Southland over 105k screaming maniacs in Neyland Stadium back when Tennessee was winning. Or the LSU band in Death Valley. Or the Million Dollar Band in Bryant-Denney. Or the Meatchicken Band. Or the TOSU Band in the Shoe. The Pride has every bit of the tradition of those high-quality programs.

prrriiide
9/4/2013, 06:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ5Swo62iZU
As for the halftime show, they sounded pretty awful. I'll give them a pass though on that since I'm guess the majority of their rehearsal time has been dedicated to pregame so far. The music selection was maybe the worst part of it though. The kids have no choice in that as it is just handed down to them. The theme song from "Maude"? Really? I hope they don't play this again this week but I could see them having to if they are still trying to work out the kinks on pregame. Also the drill for the halftime show was a joke. I'm guessing little to no time was put into that since again more of the focus this week had to be on pregame.

I'm not giving anyone a pass on that pathetic show. We did a different show every home game for years on 4 rehearsals. There were years where we had pre-camp, and the first game was the next Saturday, so we had basically 8 rehearsals from the time the band was set to kickoff to field both pregame and halftime. That includes how to get on and off the damn field. It also included music that someone born after WWII gave two ****s about. We didn't need George Ryan to spend precious halftime minutes explaining why The Pride was playing some bull****. He introduced the band and the tune and The Pride did the talking by blowing the wigs off of the blue-hairs underneath the upper deck.

What is happening to The Pride - the kids that comprise it - is a travesty. They are being crucified for a ****ty decision by Boren to support an egomaniac in his quest to re-make the University into his vision. To me, the person in the worst position is Bill Wakefield. He is a great man and one of the most respected music educators in the US. But he's getting steamrolled on this by Daddy Warbucks. I only hope this situation doesn't cost OU their Director of Bands. I think he has enough years in to retire if he doesn't want to eat Max's **** sandwich he's been served.

badger
9/4/2013, 08:01 AM
Well well well OUdaily.com (http://oudaily.com/news/2013/sep/04/pridereactions_story/)

Members of OU’s Pride of Oklahoma marching band were called into President David Boren’s office Tuesday after over a hundred members confronted their director with concerns after their first performance.

Pride’s leadership team and seniors were asked to meet in Boren’s office after addressing their director, Justin Stolarik, on Monday about issues they have with recent changes made to the band, said melophone player Isaac Blaxton.

In the meeting, Boren assured Pride members that any frustrations they felt after their performance Saturday were not matched by their fans, said Blaxton, botany senior. He told them to give Stolarik time to implement the changes he’s made to the performance.

Oh my... if the PA announcer has to tell the crowd when to yell Boomer Sooner, or has to chastise the crowd for not yelling it loud enough, there are problems.

If fans don't know when to start singing the national anthem or the OU chant, there are problems.

Just to name a few.

Blaxton said he doesn’t feel comfortable with the band’s performance because members are not being given proper instruction or feedback to help them adapt to the changes.

“We’re just being told that what we’re doing is good and that we’re just going to do it again and make it better — there’s no how to make it better,” he said.
I bet Turner Gill and Chuck Long were saying the same thing to KU football players... right before they got fired.

There's tons more from current members and alumni in the article, including addressing the UW-OU pregame formation similarities.

oudanny
9/4/2013, 09:09 AM
It is always the rank-and-file (students) that suffers when the leadership (admin) makes a poor decision. Boren really screwed the pooch on this one. I am fearful that he has killed the Pride as we know it.

badger
9/4/2013, 09:28 AM
Also, someone posted this to the alum facebook group... I hope those dudes don't mind that I'm sharing stuff like this... private message me if you do:

Six alternates only for pregame and halftime. Pass-offs, so no flip folders. Chevrons and Ws replaced by a block. Progress, and well done leadership team!

Fingers crossed, hold your breath and close your eyes as tight as you can... the students might have won. Stay tuned... Saturday's still half a week away

colleyvillesooner
9/4/2013, 09:38 AM
Also, someone posted this to the alum facebook group... I hope those dudes don't mind that I'm sharing stuff like this... private message me if you do:

Fingers crossed, hold your breath and close your eyes as tight as you can... the students might have won. Stay tuned... Saturday's still half a week away

I noticed they closed the group so now not just anyone can view the posts.

badger
9/4/2013, 09:51 AM
I noticed they closed the group so now not just anyone can view the posts.

yeah, the reasoning was that some of the discussion got a bit emotional and heated and they didn't want current members et al seeing some of the stuff said.

I'm not going to repeat anything negative, especially rumor-wise. This, however, seems like an incredibly positive development!

bobcatsoonermagic
9/4/2013, 10:18 AM
THE most credible source in Norman on this subject advised me last night that Boren told the kids who beyotched to him, "if you don't like what he's doing with the band, quit tomorrow." I trust this source.

Nice.

MsProudSooner
9/4/2013, 10:34 AM
THE most credible source in Norman on this subject advised me last night that Boren told the kids who beyotched to him, "if you don't like what he's doing with the band, quit tomorrow." I trust this source.

Nice.

I think that Boren has done a great job as President but I think he is 100% wrong in this situation.

badger
9/4/2013, 10:37 AM

Nice.

I also heard that, but given the new development above (block instead of Ws in pregame, only 6 alternates for both pregame and halftime), I say give it till Saturday before resuming the hate-new-guy/boren/regent/picasso stance :)

Quite frankly, it will take a lot of Sooner Magic for them to relearn pregame drill and whatever they have planned for halftime in time for West Virginia game... nothing short of a miracle for lines to stay straight, marchers to go in the right direction to the right spot, color guard to not get run over by a giant state flag, and whatever else could possibly go wrong.

But since I live in Tulsa, let's quote Oral Roberts: "EXPECT A MIRACLE!"

soonerboomer93
9/4/2013, 10:50 AM
I don't think anyone with half a brain is blaming the pride members themselves so hopefully current members know that.

I don't necessarily mind small changes to the pregame, but copying that formation was too much.

oudanny
9/4/2013, 10:52 AM
I wonder if Boren will tell the Pride supporters "if you don't like what is going on with the band, quit donating"?
I already have.

badger
9/4/2013, 10:59 AM
If you feel strongly on this subject, here's contact info:

If you want to contact David Boren
Mail to:
President David Boren
660 Parrington Oval. Rm 110
Norman, Ok. 73019
ATTN: PRIDE
(very important to put PRIDE)

or:
Call. 405-325-1212

or:
[email protected]
RE: PRIDE

Emails are easier to ignore than a bunch of "fan mail," so invest in Dean's ex-employer instead :)

MsProudSooner
9/4/2013, 11:04 AM
If you feel strongly on this subject, here's contact info:

Emails are easier to ignore than a bunch of "fan mail," so invest in Dean's ex-employer instead :)

I think you are correct. I sent an email on Sunday but I think I'll follow up with a snail mail.

MichiganSooner
9/4/2013, 11:09 AM
Is the full Pride going to ND?

Yes. The full band is going to Notre Dame and they are FLYING...not riding a bus.

ouleaf
9/4/2013, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=prrriiide;3900508]I'm not giving anyone a pass on that pathetic show. We did a different show every home game for years on 4 rehearsals. There were years where we had pre-camp, and the first game was the next Saturday, so we had basically 8 rehearsals from the time the band was set to kickoff to field both pregame and halftime. That includes how to get on and off the damn field. It also included music that someone born after WWII gave two ****s about. We didn't need George Ryan to spend precious halftime minutes explaining why The Pride was playing some bull****. He introduced the band and the tune and The Pride did the talking by blowing the wigs off of the blue-hairs underneath the upper deck.[QUOTE]

I know exactly what you are talking about, but I think this particular circumstance is a bit different. When I was a freshman there was at least the benefit of having the upperclassmen know the pregame routine to help making learning the drill much quicker. But when you change up pregame, everyone is starting over from square one again. When you have more people, and by the sounds of it a lot of freshman, all learning something new, the performance quality is just naturally going to go down. The Pride members are going to be more concerned with being in the right place than playing, and that trade off probably leads to the complaints about the Pride not being loud enough. I'm thinking its just going to take another week or two and the group becomes more comfortable with the new routine and more and more start to play and march things should run much more smoothly.

I do believe the half-time show pretty much a give-up on the part of the directors. Bad music, bad drill, and again a bunch of new people is a disaster in the making. It was a lot to expect of the kids to learn a completely new pregame and halftime show in such a short amount of time.

I still have faith that they will right the ship.

MsProudSooner
9/4/2013, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=prrriiide;3900508]I'm not giving anyone a pass on that pathetic show. We did a different show every home game for years on 4 rehearsals. There were years where we had pre-camp, and the first game was the next Saturday, so we had basically 8 rehearsals from the time the band was set to kickoff to field both pregame and halftime. That includes how to get on and off the damn field. It also included music that someone born after WWII gave two ****s about. We didn't need George Ryan to spend precious halftime minutes explaining why The Pride was playing some bull****. He introduced the band and the tune and The Pride did the talking by blowing the wigs off of the blue-hairs underneath the upper deck.[QUOTE]

I know exactly what you are talking about, but I think this particular circumstance is a bit different. When I was a freshman there was at least the benefit of having the upperclassmen know the pregame routine to help making learning the drill much quicker. But when you change up pregame, everyone is starting over from square one again. When you have more people, and by the sounds of it a lot of freshman, all learning something new, the performance quality is just naturally going to go down. The Pride members are going to be more concerned with being in the right place than playing, and that trade off probably leads to the complaints about the Pride not being loud enough. I'm thinking its just going to take another week or two and the group becomes more comfortable with the new routine and more and more start to play and march things should run much more smoothly.

I do believe the half-time show pretty much a give-up on the part of the directors. Bad music, bad drill, and again a bunch of new people is a disaster in the making. It was a lot to expect of the kids to learn a completely new pregame and halftime show in such a short amount of time.

I still have faith that they will right the ship.

Everything you said is completely logical. My question is this: Shouldn't the new band director have know this in advance?

Also, have you seen the youtube video of the University of Michigan's performance last Saturday? They have a brand new director this year too - one of the finalists for the OU job. They didn't change their pregame and their halftime performance was flawless.

ouleaf
9/4/2013, 01:09 PM
Everything you said is completely logical. My question is this: Shouldn't the new band director have know this in advance?

Also, have you seen the youtube video of the University of Michigan's performance last Saturday? They have a brand new director this year too - one of the finalists for the OU job. They didn't change their pregame and their halftime performance was flawless.

Probably but if you put on the new Director's shoes for a moment, the powers at be selected him because they wanted to bring about change. If I'm a new director, what better way to make my stamp on that by changing up pregame. That all sounds good in theory and I could see myself wanting to appease my new bosses at a new job, but trying to change tradition is a big hurdle to overcome and its not easy to get everyone on board. Unfortunately the change has had a negative impact and I think most of the blame can be pointed at the politics of the selection process. Dr. Stolarik took a huge gamble when he modified pregame (made worse by the copying of the Wisconsin Band) and judging by the reception it has received it is obviously a gamble that is not going to payoff.

If the Pride really is half freshman this year, you could have kept pregame the same and I'm still not sure how much better it would have been. A lot of people don't realize that if you are a freshman out on that field for the first time it is unlike anything you have ever done before and you don't want to be the one that screws up. Your nervous, on an adrenaline rush, maybe still unsure about all the new music, trying to take in the scene of 85,000 screaming fans, etc. If you have all that going on it's going to take a while for most of them to feel comfortable enough with the routine before the start playing most of the notes. Until you have more people playing, the quality and volume of sound just won't be up to par.

To answer your second question, yes I have seen the video of the MMB from this past week and I know the new director, as he was a GA for a few years while I was in the Pride. He is a very talented individual and did a nice job of blending in more of a Drum Core style performance for halftime where there is also sort of a themed performance to go along with the music and drill. In this case the James Bond character on the field and video packages. It was a great job with familiar music that I'm guessing they were able to concentrate on a bit more since they didn't change up their pregame.

That goes back to my whole point of that it seems like what happened with the Pride this week was more rehearsal time was dedicated to trying to get everyone up to speed with the new pregame that the half-time show did not get rehearsed enough to polish it, but hard to polish anything with the terrible song selection.

My whole point is, give it a few more weeks and if there is no improvement then it's time to really hit the panic button.

badger
9/4/2013, 01:32 PM
My whole point is, give it a few more weeks and if there is no improvement then it's time to really hit the panic button.

Or just take away the guy's "EASY" button. (Copy Wisconsin pregame... THAT was easy! *groan*)

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/4/2013, 01:38 PM

Nice.

My source has also told me this occurred last night. I have lost any ounce of respect for President Boren because of this issue.

I am also one of the alumns they called for donations last week. It was also the first time that it wasn't a current Pride member who called either. I respectfully told him I was going to withhold my donation until I saw what was trotted out there. I can honestly say that I am going to be asked to be removed from the list next time they call until they restore all of the traditions lost.