View Full Version : Quincy Russell

KantoSooner
7/30/2013, 08:26 AM
Where's he at?
Anyone know?
8TC?

Boomer.....
7/30/2013, 08:44 AM
Not in Norman. There is rumors of him waiting on the NCAA to clear him and he could be here by mid-August, but it doesn't sound like anyone really knows.

KantoSooner
7/30/2013, 09:07 AM
Well, that's a drag either way. I know it's useless, but 'I hate the NCAA'.

Widescreen
7/30/2013, 09:41 AM
I hate the NCAA too but I also don't like it when kids can't do the absolute minimum things to finish junior college. It's freaking junior college.

KantoSooner
7/30/2013, 10:05 AM
You make a point.

It woudl also behoove us if our fully adult coaches saw fit to recruit a coupla extra DTs now and again. For OU's season, to some degree, to be hanging on whether a 20 year old has managed to complete his last term paper or whatever is shameful.

sooneron
7/30/2013, 10:18 AM
Would this be a good time to bring up the Chris Patterson debacle? That was not on him. It was on his advisors/OU staff for academic compliance. When you say,"It's freaking junior college". You'd better understand why it's freaking junior college. It's not like they always have the best and brightest teaching and advising kids. Sometimes, the system isn't exactly clear as to what is needed and there is a lot of conflicting info on requirements. Ask anyone that has had to transfer.

8timechamps
7/30/2013, 05:47 PM
Absolutely no news on QR.

As was mentioned above, there has been a rumor that he is waiting on the NCAA to clear him, but I don't believe that is accurate. IF that was the case, he'd be able to enroll and practice (and would only have to wait to be cleared to play, like Jalen Saunders last year).

The one thing I heard last month was that he had completed his required class in JUCO, but needed to pay his outstanding obligations before his records could be released to OU.

Players report tomorrow, and practice starts Thursday. We'll know if he shows up on time, but personally, I think it'll be later in August before he gets to campus.

SoonerKnight
7/30/2013, 06:02 PM
Absolutely no news on QR.

As was mentioned above, there has been a rumor that he is waiting on the NCAA to clear him, but I don't believe that is accurate. IF that was the case, he'd be able to enroll and practice (and would only have to wait to be cleared to play, like Jalen Saunders last year).

The one thing I heard last month was that he had completed his required class in JUCO, but needed to pay his outstanding obligations before his records could be released to OU.

Players report tomorrow, and practice starts Thursday. We'll know if he shows up on time, but personally, I think it'll be later in August before he gets to campus.

Just admit this guy is a figment!

:cool:

8timechamps
7/30/2013, 06:16 PM

Would it surprise anyone at this point? :D

8timechamps
7/30/2013, 06:22 PM
Some good news about another player:

Josiah St. John has reported. He is in Norman today, and well be a "go" to practice Thursday.

Collier11
7/30/2013, 09:43 PM
Last I heard, QR will be in town early August...has that changed?

sooneron
7/30/2013, 09:47 PM

Sidd Finch?

jk the sooner fan
7/31/2013, 07:33 AM
a new soonersports.com website launched today- the roster has Russell, #95

OU_Sooners75
7/31/2013, 08:06 AM
Don't worry about it fellas!

QR will be fine. OU will be fine. The 2013 season will be fine.

DT isn't out biggest concern. We have some very good talent there, just need depth.

Our biggest concern should be the linebackers.

olevetonahill
7/31/2013, 08:17 AM

DT isn't out biggest concern. We have some very good talent there, just need depth.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFedKDfC_kmy2iFjAksJ6Z7RN3WuAFn RHaEfYIvPOHoY2QxUw3dw

jk the sooner fan
7/31/2013, 08:33 AM
http://www.firebreathingpig.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/baghdad-bob-ows-11.jpg

Widescreen
7/31/2013, 10:03 AM
Didn't realize Baghdad Bob had webbed fingers. Yuck.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/31/2013, 10:05 AM
I hate the NCAA too but I also don't like it when kids can't do the absolute minimum things to finish junior college. It's freaking junior college.

The biggest problem with college football and bball today, IMO. we don't need to be bringing in thugs and deficient students if they can't even pass a minimum set of standards. University football should not be NFL minor leagues.

KantoSooner
7/31/2013, 10:28 AM

Any analysis you can give me would be welcome. I just haven't seen an ability to generate either pressure on the QB or run stuffing for a good few years now. If it was simply trading out one for the other, I might be more sanguine. But to have neither is worrisome.

OU_Sooners75
7/31/2013, 12:58 PM
Any analysis you can give me would be welcome. I just haven't seen an ability to generate either pressure on the QB or run stuffing for a good few years now. If it was simply trading out one for the other, I might be more sanguine. But to have neither is worrisome.

Last year wasn't this year. We have some very talented defensive linemen. Last year they were young and not ready. And I also think that injury also played a part last year.

That said, my biggest concern is the linebacker play. You know you really have a problem there of you can only rely on one linebacker against spread offenses.

That said, Quincy Russell is not going to make or break our defense this year.

8timechamps
7/31/2013, 02:19 PM
Okay, I have a tidbit to pass along. This information was passed on to me as second hand (a person heard from a person inside the program). So, take it however you like.

Russell will be in Norman, and will be on the 2013 team. He will not be in Norman for the opening of camp, but is expected to arrive the week of August 12th.

Also (from same source) two other things:

1. 2012 JUCO transfer Lacolten Bester "tore it up" in summer workouts, and (again, quoting my source) "I expect him to lock up a starting receiver position by the opener".

2. JUCO transfer Dionte Savage is a "beast", and will more than likely take one of the starting guard positions.

Basically, the news about QR is consistent with what we've heard lately, so nothing really new. The information about Bester was a little more surprising.

KantoSooner
7/31/2013, 02:55 PM
Thank you. I am feeling withdrawal and need my fix.

thecrimsoncrusader
7/31/2013, 03:51 PM
Bester has been doing great from spring camp and on. I don't think it will be as much of an indictment of Metoyer as much as Bester actually being legit. He was the real deal at the JUCO level and is doing what is necessary in the off-season, but Brown and Saunders coming in last season really just changed the make-up in the receiving corps last season, but in a good way obviously. In the end, it's hard to have any concerns about this receiving corps.

8timechamps
7/31/2013, 06:47 PM
Bester has been doing great from spring camp and on. I don't think it will be as much of an indictment of Metoyer as much as Bester actually being legit. He was the real deal at the JUCO level and is doing what is necessary in the off-season, but Brown and Saunders coming in last season really just changed the make-up in the receiving corps last season, but in a good way obviously. In the end, it's hard to have any concerns about this receiving corps.

Bester was such a late addition to the team last year that I assumed he was an insurance policy, and was brought in only for depth. I assumed wrong. I saw his films from JUCO, and he looked like an excellent player, but again, I thought "well, it's JUCO defenses, how good can he really be?". I'm glad that he is stepping up and standing out.

I completely agree, it's hard to be concerned about that unit. When the second team guys appear to be as talented as the first team guys, and the first team is pretty darn good, things are looking solid.

OUmillenium
7/31/2013, 08:22 PM
The biggest problem with college football and bball today, IMO. we don't need to be bringing in thugs and deficient students if they can't even pass a minimum set of standards. University football should not be NFL minor leagues.

circa 1976

stoopified
8/1/2013, 08:33 AM
Blevins said last nite that Russell is listed on OU's roster at Sooner Sports .com. I checked and he is right,he is listed as #95. Apparently OU is confident he will make it.

Salt City Sooner
8/1/2013, 01:23 PM
Blevins said last nite that Russell is listed on OU's roster at Sooner Sports .com. I checked and he is right,he is listed as #95. Apparently OU is confident he will make it.
He's on there, but it doesn't mean much at this point. Will Latu & Courtney Gardner were both listed on last year's roster & neither made it in. Hope QR makes it 1 for 3.

cleller
8/1/2013, 02:06 PM
Reports on The Animal were that he has not been sighted today. Dang. Guess we'll have to hope the Aug 12 rumor is legit.

8timechamps
8/9/2013, 07:09 PM
I've seen reports that Russell will be in Norman this weekend. The only thing I could confirm was that he's "anticipated to be in Norman the week of August 12th". The same thing I was told a week or so ago.

I'm not going to ask my super secret source again (because I know he's being bugged to death about this), but he has a very good track record of being accurate, so I'm assuming he'll be here the week of the 12th.

birddog
8/11/2013, 11:08 AM
big week for russell. with us being so thin in the middle, we need as many bodies thrown in there as possible. dude has 3 weeks to get acclimated and even then, how much of a difference can he really make in the first half of the season?

starclassic tama
8/11/2013, 11:13 AM
big week for russell. with us being so thin in the middle, we need as many bodies thrown in there as possible. dude has 3 weeks to get acclimated and even then, how much of a difference can he really make in the first half of the season?

is he here?

Boomer.....
8/12/2013, 07:58 AM
Not yet, but should be here this week.

From 247:
I just got off the phone with elite junior college defensive tackle Quincey Russell (6'4, 315, 49) of Trinity Vallley Community College, Texas and he said he is good to go and will be reporting to OU this week. Russell is expected to make an immediate impact on the Sooner defensive line next year and will be a great addition to the OU team. Look for Russell to start alongside sophomore Jordan Phillips with junior junior Chuka Ndulue, Torrea Peterson, Jordan Wade, Rashod Favors and Charles Walker as key back-ups giving the Sooners a much better defensive tackle front than they had a year ago.

Widescreen
8/12/2013, 09:13 AM
Sounds like a broken record. I'll believe it when I see it. If he actually is coming, I would hope that "this week" means "today" since he's already behind.

SoonerMarkVA
8/12/2013, 09:39 AM
Sounds like a broken record. I'll believe it when I see it. If he actually is coming, I would hope that "this week" means "today" since he's already behind.

He is "Smoke" Russell until he shows up.

Collier11
8/12/2013, 06:51 PM
word is that he could be in as soon as tomorrow, but Stoops has openly stated he will be here soon

8timechamps
8/12/2013, 08:05 PM
From Stoops today:

On whether DT Quincy Russell will be here this week:
“Yes. From what I understand, all work is finished and handed in and just waiting for the schools to make sure and process it all so we’re hopeful that that’s any day now. It’s really just their school, his school. We’re close.”

On whether Russell is behind at his position:
“Not very. I don’t want to say it’s easy to learn, but basically it’s just about technique. The learning part of it, what he’s going to need to do, he’ll learn that fairly quickly. From what we understand visiting with him and people he has worked with he has worked really hard and is in really good shape. If that’s the case, then he will pick it up rather quickly.”

He's going to be here this week. (I added that, not a Stoops quote)