PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Position Preview: Offensive Line

8timechamps
7/29/2013, 04:27 PM
2013 Position Preview: Offensive Line

2012 Recap
This time last year, most everyone viewed the offensive line as one of the units with the most depth. Things looked really promising. Then camp opened. After injuries and departures quickly devastated the depth of the line, 2012 was a unit that made it through the season with a patchwork of healthy and injured players that sometime played different positions in different games. All things considered, the 2012 offensive line played admirably given the overall lack of depth.

2013 Preview
Although not quite as deep as last year’s group (prior to injuries and departures), the 2013 unit looks to be the team’s most seasoned group, and could provide the stability a rebuilding team needs. There are very experienced starters at every position along the line, with proven back-ups at almost every position. Whomever is named starting QB in the fall should have plenty of talent and experience in front of him to lean on. In addition to some underclass players, the JUCO ranks were yet again targeted to add depth to this unit.

Here are the offensive linemen on the 2013 roster:

#64 – Gabe Ikard (Senior)/C,G
If there is one player that can be considered the overall leader of the 2013 Sooners, it’s hard to find anyone more qualified than Gabe Ikard. Another one of Stoops utility players recruited out of high school, Ikard moved from tight end to guard his freshman year and showed a quick adaptation to the change. Once starter Ben Habern went down with a broken forearm in 2011, Ikard was moved to center and again showed his ability to adapt and excel. After additional injuries forced Habern to retire from the game, Ikard became the Sooners full time center. Ikard may not be the most physically talented player along the line, but he is one of (if not) the smartest. During spring practice, Ikard suffered a broken thumb (on his snapping hand), but is expected to be back at 100% in time for camp to open.

#68 – Bronson Irwin (Senior)/RG
Irwin has been either a full time starter or a rotation player since 2011, and I expect him to be the starter at right guard when the season opens. Irwin isn't a particularly imposing player, but his strength and excellent footwork has made him among the most consistent offensive linemen on the roster. Entering his second year as a full time starter, I expect Irwin to have continued his development and he will continue to be a stalwart along the offensive line.

#74 – Adam Shead (Junior)/LG
Shead was a recipient hard work in 2011, and started the last 5 games of the season at left guard. That effort carried over to 2012, where Shead started all 13 games at the same position. Much like Irwin, Shead has been a consistent member of the offensive line and provides quality experience along the front. While Shead has been a solid player, there have been some nagging injury issues that could put his title of starter in jeopardy in 2013.

#71 – Tyrus Thompson (R – Senior)/T
Thompson has played the majority of his snaps at OU at right tackle, however, last year he showed the ability to play either tackle position. Thompson hasn't developed as quickly as Irwin and Shead, but he may have more upside potential than either. Quiet off the field, Thompson is Oklahoma’s most “nasty” offensive linemen on the field (as we all saw against TCU last season). Bedenbaugh loves that kind of attitude and there is no question Thompson will benefit from his coaching. For 2013, I expect Thompson to have a big year, and play at a level higher than he has in all his time at OU.

#72 – Derek Farniok (R - Sophomore)/T
Standing 6’ 9”, and weighing 325 pounds, Farniok is the biggest player on the roster. Unfortunately, Farniok came to OU as a very raw player and that limited his ability to earn valuable experience early. As the 2012 season wore on, Farniok did show improvement and saw action in several games. Last year, Bob Stoops said Farniok had made the most improvement of any player between 2011 and 2012. If the same can be said for this off-season, Farniok could be in position to see much more playing time.

#51 – Austin Woods (Senior)/DS, G
Remarkably, Woods was diagnosed with cancer in 2012, underwent chemotherapy and never missed a game or practice. That alone speaks volumes about this kid. In addition to that amazing feat, Woods was the starting deep snapper in 2012, and saw time in four games at guard as a rotation player. It’s hard to know how Woods will develop this year (due to limited action on the line), however, I have to believe being able to focus on football alone will greatly improve his ability to develop. I expect to see Woods as a regular rotation player along the line in 2013.

#78 – Kyle Marrs (R – Freshman)/G
Marrs was a highly recruited lineman coming out of high school, choosing to play at OU over Notre Dame, Michigan, Stanford, UCLA and others. Fortunately, Marrs was able to take 2012 as a redshirt year and develop his technique. Marrs was considered an outstanding practice player, and in time should develop into a starting guard for the Sooners. For 2013, I expect Marrs to see limited time as a rotation player as he continues to develop.

#56 – Ty Darlington (Sophomore)/ C,OG
Bob Stoops knew immediately that Darlington was not going to need a redshirt year to contribute. Unfortunately, he didn't foresee the circumstances that would force Darlington into a starting role. Due to injuries, Darlington was forced into a starting role for one game in 2013. There is no question that Darlington can play (and play well) at the collegiate level. In addition to starting one game, Darlington also saw quality time as a rotation player in 2012. I expect Darlington to push hard to earn a starting job at C, freeing Ikard up to move out to guard. This could be the most interesting development of the 2013 camp, but even if Darlington doesn't take over at center, I expect to see him contribute significantly in 2013.

#54 - Nila Kasitati (R-Sophomore)/OG, C
Originally recruited as a tight end, Kasitati has developed into a contributor and can play either center or offensive guard. After the 2012 fall camp, Kasitati had turned heads along the line and looked to be securing himself solid playing time at guard in 2012. Four games into the season, a knee injury put Kasitati on the sidelines for the remainder of the year. It’s going to be tough for Kasitati to become a full time starter, but that says more about the players in front of him than it does Kasitati. He will see plenty of time in rotation, and with continued experience could become a starter in time.

#79 – Daryl Williams (R-Junior)T
In 2011, Williams looked to have ‘flipped the switch’ at the collegiate level, and was working himself into a starter role that would continue into 2012. Then the 2012 offensive line curse took effect and Williams’ body struggled through 9 games before finally succumbing to a season ending knee injury against Oklahoma State. I believe Williams to have the most potential of any lineman on the roster, but he has to be on the field to be effective. If he can stay healthy in 2013, I expect Williams to be a starter at tackle.

No number – Dionte Savage (JUCO-Junior)/G
A JUCO transfer from Arizona Western (the same school that gave us Damien Williams), Savage could get noticed in a hurry. At 6’5”, 340 lbs, there is no missing his massive frame, but what has coach Bedenbaugh so excited is the nasty streak he brings to his game. Savage was considered a very good run blocker coming out of high school, and his pass blocking was considered a weakness. That no longer appears to be the case, as Savage appears to be a very complete guard that could seriously battle for a starting position. Whether at starter or as a rotational lineman, Savage will see plenty of playing time in 2013.

No number – Josiah St. John (JUCO-Junior)/T
Not unlike many JUCO transfers, there has been some question about St. John making it to Norman this fall. Recently, there was news that seemed to indicate he would arrive in time for fall camp. St. John was considered the #1 offensive line prospect in all of the JUCO ranks, and is considered by some to be a shoe-in to start along the line. At 6’7”, 300 lbs, St. John has very quick feet and excellent technique. Like Savage, I expect St. John to either start of play a significant amount in 2013.

No number – Christian Daimler (Incoming Freshman)/T
A 3 start recruit from Houston, Daimler chose OU over Arizona State, Colorado, Colorado State, UNLV and several others. Daimler has a big frame (6’6”, 270lbs), but could use some time in the weight room to get to the level he needs to be in college. Daimler could definitely use a redshirt season, and that should be the plan for him unless injuries force him into a backup role.

EDIT:

No number - Tony Feo (JUCO-Junior)/G
JUCO transfer from Fullerton Community College, Feo chose OU over N.C. State. Not much info on Feo, but he reportedly participated in summer workouts and was described as "incredibly strong" by Gabe Ikard. I'll post more information on Feo when I get it.

Additional Personnel (non-scholarship):
#73 – Dylan Hartsook
#67 – Robert Hollis
#76 – Jake Reed

Projected Two-Deep:

LT: Daryl Williams
Backup: Derek Farniok
LG: Adam Shead
Backup: Dionte Savage
C: Gabe Ikard
Backup: Ty Darlington
RG: Bronson Irwin
Backup: Nila Kasitati
RT: Tyrus Thomas
Backup: Josiah St. John

Next up: Receivers/Tight Ends

rock on sooner
7/29/2013, 08:39 PM
This be good stuff...thank you!

IronHorseSooner
7/30/2013, 02:03 AM
I believe you forgot Feo...

BermudaSooner
7/30/2013, 12:33 PM
Thanks 8 time. Nice work.

8timechamps
7/30/2013, 05:37 PM

I didn't forget Feo, I just don't see him on the official roster. It's strange, because I first noticed his absence on the Spring Game roster (which had just about every incoming player listed), so I figured he'd show up eventually on the official roster (on SoonerSports) as they update that roster fairly regularly. As of yesterday, he was still not showing up there.

Being a JUCO kid, there could be an issue with eligibility. I'm guessing if there is, it's been over-shadowed by the Quincy Russell/Josiah St. John stories.

We'll know in the next couple of days if he shows up. If he does, I'll keep an eye on any developments in fall camp and update his information in my final review.

8timechamps
7/30/2013, 06:46 PM

Okay, so I checked into Feo. You are correct.

He's been in Norman for a while now, and participated in summer workouts. Apparently, he's a very strong kid (pushing Favors as the strongest kid on the team). I don't have any information about his jersey number, but I'll try to get all of that info and update this thread.

Thanks IronHorse!