PDA

View Full Version : OBAMACARE

IGotNoTiming
7/29/2013, 10:47 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/26/obamacare-premiums-maryland_n_3661017.html

could it actually be working?

Curly Bill
7/29/2013, 10:50 AM
The Huffingtonpost? Really?

FaninAma
7/29/2013, 11:01 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/26/obamacare-premiums-maryland_n_3661017.html

More in-depth analysis reveals that deductibles and co-pays in states like NY and Maryland will be drastically higher, the ability to see your own
doctor will be reduced, services willbe reduced not to mention the fact people who don't carry insurance now because they are young and healthy
will be paying a lot more than they are now would indicate that these leftist politicians are being disingenuous a best and outright deceitful at worst.

Now consider the fact that tens of millions of patients will be added to the Medicaid rolls and I defy you to claim that Obamacare will be a money saver.

KantoSooner
7/29/2013, 11:16 AM
Can't disagree, Fanin. On the other hand, we get mediocre care these days at twice the price any other civilized nation's citizens pay, so it would seem that we're screwed anyway we want to look at it.

REDREX
7/29/2013, 11:59 AM
I am sure that $93 a month buys a hell of a plan

IGotNoTiming
7/29/2013, 11:59 AM
How do supposed healthcare is fairing in Mass where Romneycare is the rule?

Mind you I wasn't touting The Affordable healthcare act.... Just hearing these stories more so now....

IGotNoTiming
7/29/2013, 12:04 PM
I am sure that $93 a month buys a hell of a plan

Health insurance in this country has always been like a weekend in Vegas. For someone who couldnt afford insurance before , even a $93 a month policy would be better than nothing.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/29/2013, 12:14 PM

No.

REDREX
7/29/2013, 12:16 PM
Health insurance in this country has always been like a weekend in Vegas. For someone who couldnt afford insurance before , even a $93 a month policy would be better than nothing.----Don't understand the Vegas reference----But a $93 a month policy will cover almost nothing----read the entire article and don't believe the headline

Bourbon St Sooner
7/29/2013, 12:32 PM
In the Baltimore metropolitan area, a 25-year-old nonsmoker will have access to "bronze" level coverage -- the second-least generous of four tiers of benefits -- for $124 to $237 a month. A 50-year-old nonsmoker will see monthly prices for a "silver" plan ranging from $267 to $470, according to a Maryland Insurance Administration analysis.

By contrast, the median cost of an individual health insurance plan for a 30-year-old, nonsmoking man in Maryland this year is $190 a a month and the cheapest is $62, according to a report issued by the Government Accountability Office this week. An exact comparison can't be made because current plans aren't subject to Obamacare's minimum benefit standards and the least expensive policy has a $10,000 deductible -- far higher than will be allowed on the health insurance exchanges.

If you actually take time to read article rather than just the headline, you'll see that insurance premiums are actually going up from this year to next. Although they do mention that the highest deductible now is higher than what will be allowed under Obamacare. That's another stupid provision to the law. Why can't I buy a high deductible plan in the exchanges. The chances of a healthy 25 year old spending that much for medical care is pretty slim.

FaninAma
7/29/2013, 12:37 PM
Can't disagree, Fanin. On the other hand, we get mediocre care these days at twice the price any other civilized nation's citizens pay, so it would seem that we're screwed anyway we want to look at it.

It is actually something like 3 x higher per capita than other countries mainly because of the expectations of patients and the profit motive
in our system. I am not opposed to a system like Australia's or New Zealand's but Obamacare isn't it. If anything the big medical insurers
will make more under Obamacare than they do now.

KantoSooner
7/29/2013, 01:00 PM
hear hear on the Aussie plan. Don't know as much about the kiwi one.

On the 2x versus 3x thing, I was trying to be fair and comparing our national outlay in % of GNP to the Swiss on the theory that paying more than the Swiss for anything is automatically insane.

okiewaker
7/29/2013, 02:11 PM
Our company webinar on our NEW healthcare revealed my copays tripling in each category, deduc doubled, and health benefits slightly reduced. Yeah,,,for some it might be working but,,,,it just took away part of my families health care and gave it to a total stranger. F*cking bastards.

SCOUT
7/29/2013, 11:56 PM
My company had a low claim ratio for 2013 (so far and fingers crossed) and would ordinarily have a low rate increase. I would expect in the 2-5% range. We are starting early this year because we are going to lose our grandfathered status under the ACA. As an aside, every plan will eventually lose that status. It isn't a matter of if, but literally when. Anyway, we are already getting quotes back of 30% increases. We have not changed any of the coverage in an effort to maintain our grandfathered status, but alas that is no longer possible. The change in cost isn't due to coverage or claims, it is due to the ACA.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/30/2013, 01:28 AM
More in-depth analysis reveals that deductibles and co-pays in states like NY and Maryland will be drastically higher, the ability to see your own
doctor will be reduced, services willbe reduced not to mention the fact people who don't carry insurance now because they are young and healthy
will be paying a lot more than they are now would indicate that these leftist politicians are being disingenuous a best and outright deceitful at worst.

Now consider the fact that tens of millions of patients will be added to the Medicaid rolls and I defy you to claim that Obamacare will be a money saver.SURPRISE! haha The Lefties are happy with anything done by the democrats, regardless of how haywire or catastrophic. They JDGAS

FaninAma
7/30/2013, 01:00 PM
SURPRISE! haha The Lefties are happy with anything done by the democrats, regardless of how haywire or catastrophic. They JDGAS

What I don't like is that they are dishonest. The NY and Maryland governors are cherry picking data. They are comparing plans on the exchanges with high deductibles and copays to the average plan in the states currently that have much lower co-pays and lower deductibles. They are also comparing self-employed plans to the exchange plans and not to employer funded plans. They also do not even attempt to calculate the number of people who will be kicked off employer plans and have to pay out of pocket for their insurance.

7/30/2013, 01:50 PM
tip of the iceberg, & USA is the Titanic.

7/30/2013, 01:55 PM
If we consider that the law was devised to aggravate and undermine the insurance industry, driving people to single payer govt. healthcare in time, it does make more sense.