PDA

View Full Version : Spencer Tillman has a job to do.

Mazeppa
7/27/2013, 09:10 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/tim-brando/38752835866

swardboy
7/27/2013, 09:29 PM
It's amazing how the talking heads all think Blake is a runner, not a passer.

MichiganSooner
7/27/2013, 10:34 PM
I can remember when another Oklahoma team had a quarterback with no experience; compared to Bell-no experience with a capital N. Sam Bradford turned out just fine.
I agree with Stoops....reporters/writers have a job to do.

achiro
7/28/2013, 01:07 AM
It's amazing how the talking heads all think Blake is a runner, not a passer.

Something like 6000 yards and 70 touchdowns passing in two years at high school. Yeah, he's all about the run.

cleller
7/28/2013, 07:44 AM
To me, it seems like he was more of a passing guy that would just run over you if no one was open. Tougher in college, but as Colin Klein shows, it can still be done.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/28/2013, 09:58 AM
No offense, but the Colin Klein comparisons drive me nuts. Blake Bell can actually throw the football. And the first time he puts it on a dime for an 80 yard scorcher, I'm going to state out loud, "SUCK IT, MISTUH COACH COLIN KLEIN".

Belldozer my ***.

Sabanball
7/28/2013, 11:03 AM
I'll probably get flamed for saying it, but I actually agree with just about everything that Spencer said. It's obvious that he loves his alma mater and respects the hell out of Bob, but he's honestly concerned about the direction of the program and the way it is currently trending. He knows what the standards are at OU and that just winning 9-10 games/yr is not good enough.

Still, I think Blake Bell is a very good qb and could do some great things the next couple of yrs. His dual threat capability reminds me a lot more of Tim Tebow than Colin Klein.

SoonerMarkVA
7/28/2013, 12:40 PM
His dual threat capability reminds me a lot more of Tim Tebow than Colin Klein.

His running threat, I think you're right on. He's a better passer than either. What remains to be seen is if he can handle the mental demands at this level, and as Landry reminds me that's not a given. The thing Bell has, though, is his strength and relative speed to give him more breathing room when the heat is on. That alone should help him start out with more confidence.

8timechamps
7/28/2013, 02:55 PM
I respect that Spencer has a job to do, and I respect his opinions. That doesn't mean I have to agree with them, and I think he's wrong on a couple of points.

thecrimsoncrusader
7/28/2013, 03:02 PM
No offense, but the Colin Klein comparisons drive me nuts. Blake Bell can actually throw the football. And the first time he puts it on a dime for an 80 yard scorcher, I'm going to state out loud, "SUCK IT, MISTUH COACH COLIN KLEIN".

Belldozer my ***.

Besides most likely being a very good passer, from what I have seen, Blake Bell is a better runner also. Bell is bigger, has shown more power, is faster than Klein and shown he can get the job done on the ground despite ****ty run-blocking. Klein had great run-blocking for his results. I will put it this way, Klein wishes he was Bell.

thecrimsoncrusader
7/28/2013, 03:17 PM
OU's done well with inexperienced QBs the past couple of times. While I am not a big time Landry Jones fan from an on the field performance perspective as a QB (great passer, but just a good QB and what I would consider a poor leader), he actually had one of the Top 5 QB performances for a redshirt freshman QB in history:

At current, I would rank as follows based on stats for the Top 5 freshman/redshirt freshman QB performances in history:

#1: Johnny Manziel (I strongly dislike the guy, but the numbers are the numbers. Best single season performance in college football history by a QB in terms of passing and rushing combined)

#2: Sam Bradford (still the NCAA record for most TD passes by a freshman/redshirt freshman QB)

#3: Marcus Mariotta (4 TD passes shy of Sam Bradford's record)

#4: Colt McCoy (had the NCAA record for most TD passes by a freshman/redshift freshman QB until Sam Bradford broke it)

#5: Landry Jones (1 TD shy of tying Colt McCoy's TD mark as a redshirt freshman QB)

....and then probably Chad Henne at #6)

8timechamps
7/28/2013, 04:04 PM
OU's done well with inexperienced QBs the past couple of times. While I am not a big time Landry Jones fan from an on the field performance perspective as a QB (great passer, but just a good QB and what I would consider a poor leader), he actually had one of the Top 5 QB performances for a redshirt freshman QB in history:

At current, I would rank as follows based on stats for the Top 5 freshman/redshirt freshman QB performances in history:

#1: Johnny Manziel (I strongly dislike the guy, but the numbers are the numbers. Best single season performance in college football history by a QB in terms of passing and rushing combined)

#2: Sam Bradford (still the NCAA record for most TD passes by a freshman/redshirt freshman QB)

#3: Marcus Mariotta (4 TD passes shy of Sam Bradford's record)

#4: Colt McCoy (had the NCAA record for most TD passes by a freshman/redshift freshman QB until Sam Bradford broke it)

#5: Landry Jones (1 TD shy of tying Colt McCoy's TD mark as a redshirt freshman QB)

....and then probably Chad Henne at #6)

I'd also like to remind the "he can run, but he can't throw" crowd about Blake Bell, the recruit:

Scouts, Inc
Position Rating: #4 QB
Star Rating: 4 stars
Analysis:
QB Blake Bell of Bishop Carroll Catholic High School is rare talent with tremendous upside. Having played the position for only a year, Bell brings to the table a lightening quick release, excellent vision, pocket awareness, and intangibles that far exceed his experience. Bell is also an athletic QB and though he can beat you with his feet, he'd rather beat you with his arm.

ESPN
Position Rating: #3 QB*
Analysis:
He is one of those guys that can make every throw yet still maintain touch and throws a very catchable ball. Gets set in the pocket, certainly has the size to scan the field and generally gets rid of the ball on time. He has shown he can fit the ball into tight spots when he is on time and his feet are set. Shows a quick release and nice RPM's on underneath throws. He has improved his overall ball speed and velocity and he has upside to possess an elite arm over time. Overall, the best thing about Bell is his upside to be much better in two to three years than he is now which excites coaches with his high ceiling for development. He has the arm, measurables and athleticism to succeed.

*Bell was also a finalist in the 2010 ESPN/Nike Elite 11 QB competition

Rivals
Position Rating: #6 (Pro style QB)
Analysis:
It may take a couple of years with a good quarterback coach in order to get the most out of his natural ability, but he should be battling for the starting job by his second or third year. The key for him will be making the right reads and knowing when to tuck the ball and run. Bell's still relatively young at the quarterback spot and has a great family pedigree. The tools for him to be a good one are all there if it comes together. When he takes off with the ball down field, he will be dangerous and hard to tackle because he has deceptive speed with his long strides. Bell also can get away with a low release similar to Phillip Rivers because he is tall enough to see all points of the field. He also is a real competitor and knows the areas in which he needs to improve upon.

Then there are his senior year high school stats:

237/356 (67%) for 2,752 yards, 32 TDs and 5 interceptions

It's worth noting that his senior year, only one receiver (Tight End) was recruited to a D1 school (Colorado State). So, it wasn't as if he were playing with Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald.

There are a lot of folks in the media (and a lot of fans around the country) that needed to do a little homework on Bell before declaring him the next Colin Klein. Hopefully, there are a lot of defensive coordinators that make the same mistake.

Alum81
7/29/2013, 03:39 PM
Blake Bell can throw! Accurately! And he can run! And he is supremely confident in himself because he can throw AND run. I believe Landry Jones biggest regression was that he realized he couldn't run and it eventually got into his head that he was going to be pancaked in the pocket! That lack of running prowess eventually ate away at his throwing skills, due to rushed passes, hurried reads, etc. Johnny Manziel believes he can do something spectacular on any play where there is no pass to make. I believe Bell has that same attitude and we will see. NOt that he will be like Johnny Manziel, but he will be a whole lot closer to him than to Landry Jones by the end of the season. And all us fans will be very pleased!

C&CDean
7/29/2013, 03:52 PM
Know what? I'd be perfectly fine if he plays like Colin Klein this year. Perfectly fine.

mOUse
8/3/2013, 06:09 AM
Roethlisberger!

Widescreen
8/3/2013, 10:23 AM
I'd also like to remind the "he can run, but he can't throw" crowd about Blake Bell, the recruit:

Scouts, Inc
Position Rating: #4 QB
Analysis:
QB Blake Bell of Bishop Carroll Catholic High School is rare talent with tremendous upside. Having played the position for only a year, Bell brings to the table a lightening quick release, excellent vision, pocket awareness, and intangibles that far exceed his experience. Bell is also an athletic QB and though he can beat you with his feet, he'd rather beat you with his arm.

<snip>

This is a good analysis. Thanks for the reminder. Blake Bell ran the belldozer because that's what we needed him to do and he could do it well. He'll be in full control of the offense this year.

opksooner
8/3/2013, 10:58 PM
Bell said as much in an interview recently. "Last year I came in on 3rd and 1. That was my job".

I expect a more complete "performance" from him at qb this year. Assuming he starts.