PDA

View Full Version : Monsanto

IGotNoTiming
7/27/2013, 03:36 PM
Is anyone bothered by the practices of this company at all?

Tulsa_Fireman
7/27/2013, 03:37 PM
No.

Next question.

IGotNoTiming
7/27/2013, 03:42 PM
Glad you are comfortable with one company who wants to own all of the seed production globally. Good on ya.

IGotNoTiming
7/27/2013, 03:44 PM
Oh and they want to keep pushing GMOs on you to....

you go ahead and feed that crap to your kids... I refuse.

Breadburner
7/27/2013, 04:17 PM
Your kids will likely be retarded no matter what you feed them....

olevetonahill
7/27/2013, 04:19 PM
Oh and they want to keep pushing GMOs on you to....

you go ahead and feed that crap to your kids... I refuse.

So if thats all thats available you gonna let yer little drape apes starve? Dayum yer hardcore.

olevetonahill
7/27/2013, 04:19 PM
Your kids will likely be retarded no matter what you feed them....

Heh.

SoonerorLater
7/27/2013, 05:08 PM
Is anyone bothered by the practices of this company at all?

Yes. On a scale of 1 to 10 about an 8. However I do understand this is a hard sell to the general population.

pphilfran
7/27/2013, 05:16 PM
I guess a little....I think they go overboard on cross contamination....but I do understand why they are so hard handed....

As far as one company wanting to own all seed production...that is the goal of damn near any company -be the 800 lb gorilla...if it is so profitable then companies can pony up billions in development costs and undercut Monsanto on price....

Soonerjeepman
7/27/2013, 06:01 PM
I guess a little....I think they go overboard on cross contamination....but I do understand why they are so hard handed....

As far as one company wanting to own all seed production...that is the goal of damn near any company -be the 800 lb gorilla...if it is so profitable then companies can pony up billions in development costs and undercut Monsanto on price....

but but that is that evil capitalism...such a nasty word...lol

C&CDean
7/27/2013, 06:12 PM
If I had one single iota of a clue WTF this thread is about I would comment. Last time I remember, Monsanto made **** like floor tile and glue. They make food now? Who knew you could eat floor tile and glue?

pphilfran
7/27/2013, 06:16 PM
If I had one single iota of a clue WTF this thread is about I would comment. Last time I remember, Monsanto made **** like floor tile and glue. They make food now? Who knew you could eat floor tile and glue?

They have genetically engineered grains that cannot be killed by Round up....very cost effective for farmers....they have the patent and they aggressively pursue those that violate the patent...if your field is non Monsanto and find some of your crop was cross pollinated from a Monsanto field they can and will go after you (they look at percent of cross contamination when going after a farmer)

TAFBSooner
7/27/2013, 11:18 PM
Monsanto is people too, my friend.

Get corporate money out of politics. It would also be great to put term limits in place.

Then we would have citizen legislators, just as the Founders wanted. They would serve a few terms in the Federal District and return to the private sector.

Namely Monsanto.

olevetonahill
7/27/2013, 11:23 PM
They have genetically engineered grains that cannot be killed by Round up....very cost effective for farmers....they have the patent and they aggressively pursue those that violate the patent...if your field is non Monsanto and find some of your crop was cross pollinated from a Monsanto field they can and will go after you (they look at percent of cross contamination when going after a farmer)

Dean says IF yer High Bred, High dollar Bull knocks down My fence and Knocks up my Cows. You aint gettin **** fer Stud fees
Same thing

yermom
7/28/2013, 02:06 AM
Only it doesn't work like that

IGotNoTiming
7/28/2013, 12:17 PM

You are not alone. Most people have not dug into this issue.

Monsanto has been around since 1901 they were a chemical company..... they developed Agent Orange
Look haw many vets were affected by it's use. They got into the "ag" business in the 50s. They are extremely good at what they do. So good they have created the world's largest bio tech ag monopoly. They have systematically bought their competition. When independent labs have reported the dangers of their products,they have bought them too. They Own 90% of the United States seeds for agriculture, having that in place, they can charge farmers sometimes 4X for their seed that are Round Up Ready. When their crops need spraying your have to use their herbicide only.

They are currently involved in at least 100 lawsuit where they are trying to take famers land away from them. How? They plant their GMO corn next to a field owned by a farmer who refused to use their product. So they find a gmo stalk growing on his property... and they sue his for patent infringement because they patent their GMO technology... and take his farm.

The list goes on and on and on......their goal is to be THE worlds food supplier..... 70% of the crops in the US are GMO. And because of Monsanto's reach they were able to stop legislation requiring testing of GMOs for there safety. Read that again. Everything under the sun gets tested before released to the public.

Not GMOs zero zilch..... this is scary, scary ****.

And this list goes on for miles and miles

IGotNoTiming
7/28/2013, 12:27 PM

I think if you dug just the tiniest bit... your would be rudely awakened by the practices that they have engaged, a giant web of lies and deceit and the inherent danger for all of us if they are to be allowed go unchecked.....

pphilfran
7/28/2013, 01:38 PM
You are not alone. Most people have not dug into this issue.

Monsanto has been around since 1901 they were a chemical company..... they developed Agent Orange
Look haw many vets were affected by it's use. They got into the "ag" business in the 50s. They are extremely good at what they do. So good they have created the world's largest bio tech ag monopoly. They have systematically bought their competition. When independent labs have reported the dangers of their products,they have bought them too. They Own 90% of the United States seeds for agriculture, having that in place, they can charge farmers sometimes 4X for their seed that are Round Up Ready. When their crops need spraying your have to use their herbicide only.

They are currently involved in at least 100 lawsuit where they are trying to take famers land away from them. How? They plant their GMO corn next to a field owned by a farmer who refused to use their product. So they find a gmo stalk growing on his property... and they sue his for patent infringement because they patent their GMO technology... and take his farm.

The list goes on and on and on......their goal is to be THE worlds food supplier..... 70% of the crops in the US are GMO. And because of Monsanto's reach they were able to stop legislation requiring testing of GMOs for there safety. Read that again. Everything under the sun gets tested before released to the public.

Not GMOs zero zilch..... this is scary, scary ****.

And this list goes on for miles and miles
Mostly not factual....

Agent Orange was originally developed in the 40's when the DOD had the University of Chicago to study the effects of a 50/50 mix of 2,4,D (you can buy this for broad leaf weed control in your lawn) and 2,4,5-T (phased out in late 1970's due to toxicity issures).

Monsanto, Dow, and others produced the product...

So, the DOD paid for initial development...asked for bids on the product for Nam...issued multiple contracts for desired amount.. the Armed Services sprayed the product...yet Monsanto is to blame...plenty of facts to be found outside your email....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-29/monsanto-says-it-probably-gained-corn-soy-cotton-market-share.html

The company’s share of U.S. corn plantings dropped 1 percentage point through last year since peaking at 36 percent in 2008, and its soybean share is down 4.5 percent from a peak of 29 percent, Carson said in an interview. Roundup Ready 2 soybeans are particularly important because the company is trying to switch growers before patents on the original Roundup- tolerant soybean expire at the end of 2014, he said.

DuPont, which is based in Wilmington, Delaware, said June 14 that it gained market share this year in corn and soybeans. Monsanto and DuPont are gaining at the expense of smaller competitors, Marc Gulley, a New York-based analyst at Ticonderoga Securities LLC, said in an interview.

btw - DuPont owns Pioneer Hy-Bred, Monsanto's main competitor in the bio tech ag field...

Monsanto does not prosecute if they find one stalk of genetically engineered product....very few cases actually make it to court.....and if they do they tend to win...please give me specific cases where Monsanto actually lost a lawsuit....there are very few...

Please list specific cases where Monsanto planted their product next to a non Monsanto farm and then took their farm....

Which independent labs issued reports that were harmful to Monsanto were later bought by Monsanto...please be specific...and if they issued the report isn't it a little too late to be buying the company since the cat is already out of the bag? Wouldn't the US government be interested in said report and would do their own investigation?

SCOUT
7/28/2013, 05:44 PM
The Trilateral (Plus Two) Commission
Stuart Mackenzie: 'Well, it's a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows.'
Tony Giardino: 'So who's in this Pentavirate?'
Stuart Mackenzie: 'The Queen, The Vatican, The Gettys, The Rothschilds, and Colonel Sanders before he went tits up. Oh, I hated the Colonel with is wee beady eyes, and that smug look on his face. "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"'
Charlie Mackenzie: 'Dad, how can you hate "The Colonel"?'
Stuart Mackenzie: 'Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly, smartass!'

Turd_Ferguson
7/28/2013, 06:36 PM
The Trilateral (Plus Two) Commission
Stuart Mackenzie: 'Well, it's a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows.'
Tony Giardino: 'So who's in this Pentavirate?'
Stuart Mackenzie: 'The Queen, The Vatican, The Gettys, The Rothschilds, and Colonel Sanders before he went tits up. Oh, I hated the Colonel with is wee beady eyes, and that smug look on his face. "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"'
Charlie Mackenzie: 'Dad, how can you hate "The Colonel"?'
Stuart Mackenzie: 'Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly, smartass!'

Heed! Pants! Now!

olevetonahill
7/28/2013, 06:54 PM
Heed! Pants! Now!

Hell Iffen I wont put on Pants fer the jehova Ws I aint puttin em on fet that there Pentavirus dude either .

IGotNoTiming
7/29/2013, 01:37 AM
Mostly not factual....

Agent Orange was originally developed in the 40's when the DOD had the University of Chicago to study the effects of a 50/50 mix of 2,4,D (you can buy this for broad leaf weed control in your lawn) and 2,4,5-T (phased out in late 1970's due to toxicity issures).

So, the DOD paid for initial development...asked for bids on the product for Nam...issued multiple contracts for desired amount.. the Armed Services sprayed the product...yet Monsanto is to blame...plenty of facts to be found outside your email....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-29/monsanto-says-it-probably-gained-corn-soy-cotton-market-share.html

The company’s share of U.S. corn plantings dropped 1 percentage point through last year since peaking at 36 percent in 2008, and its soybean share is down 4.5 percent from a peak of 29 percent, Carson said in an interview. Roundup Ready 2 soybeans are particularly important because the company is trying to switch growers before patents on the original Roundup- tolerant soybean expire at the end of 2014, he said.

DuPont, which is based in Wilmington, Delaware, said June 14 that it gained market share this year in corn and soybeans. Monsanto and DuPont are gaining at the expense of smaller competitors, Marc Gulley, a New York-based analyst at Ticonderoga Securities LLC, said in an interview.

btw - DuPont owns Pioneer Hy-Bred, Monsanto's main competitor in the bio tech ag field...

Monsanto does not prosecute if they find one stalk of genetically engineered product....very few cases actually make it to court.....and if they do they tend to win...please give me specific cases where Monsanto actually lost a lawsuit....there are very few...

Please list specific cases where Monsanto planted their product next to a non Monsanto farm and then took their farm....

Which independent labs issued reports that were harmful to Monsanto were later bought by Monsanto...please be specific...and if they issued the report isn't it a little too late to be buying the company since the cat is already out of the bag? Wouldn't the US government be interested in said report and would do their own investigation?

You presented your above figures with regards to planting.... my figure was regard to the seed companies. And yes I was off by a bit.

Of the global seed market, consisting of 203, The Chemical/Pharmaceutical industry Made up of Monsanto, Syngenta, Dupont, Dow and Bayer own 173 of these OR 85%. Monsanto total market share of that ownership is 45% or 88 companies... all bought since the 90s.

These big 6 all have working agreements with one another to help maintain control of the industry.

Out of 203 and seed companies, 30 are just that..... seed companies.

I can get the lists of reports against Monsanto.... that will take some time but I will have it.

As far as the government looking into activities/ practices all you have to do is look at how many individuals have ties to both the federal government and Monsanto:

US Congressman (D) Toby Moffett-Former Monsanto Consultant
US Senator (D) Dennis DeConcini-Former Legal Counsel for Monsanto
Dep Dir FDA (Bush Sr, Clinton) Margaret Miller-Former Chemical Lab supervisor Monsanto
White House Senior Staff (Clinton) Marcia Hale-Former Director of Int'l Government Affairs Monsanto
Secretary of Commerce (Clinton) Mickey Kantor- Former Board Member of Monsanto
White House Appointee to CSA (Clinton) Virginia Wheldon- FormerVP Public Policy Monsanto
White House Communications (Clinton) Josh King- Former Dir of International Government Affairs Monsanto
Policy Advisor (Clinton) David Beler- FormerVP Government and Public Affairs Monsanto
WH Appointed Consumer Advocate Carol Tucker Foreman- FormerMonsanto Lobbyist
Deputy Admin EPA (Clinton Bush) Linda Fisher- Former VP Government and Public Affairs Monsanto
USDA, EPA (CLinton, Bush, Obama) Lidia Watrud- Fomer Manager New technologies Monsanto
Dep Commish FDA (Obama) Michael Taylor- Former VP Public Policy Monsanto
US Sen (D) Sec of State Hillary Clinton- Rose Dale Law Firm, Legal Counsel to Monsanto
Dir USDA (Obama) Roger Breachy- Former Director Monsanto Danforth Center
Ag Negotiator Trade Rep (Obama) Islam Siddiqui- Former Monsanto Lobbyist

Monsanto basically owns the feds... they aren't worried about the feds at all.

Boomer.....
7/29/2013, 07:44 AM
Monsanto is not good for the future, but the FDA will do nothing about it or any other potentially harmful food/additive. Just like the government, they're all corrupt.

KantoSooner
7/29/2013, 08:45 AM
Mostly not factual....

Thank YOU Philfran! it is so comforting to see actual facts presented to quell panting, ill-informed hysteria.

IGotNoTiming
7/29/2013, 09:37 AM
Thank YOU Philfran! it is so comforting to see actual facts presented to quell panting, ill-informed hysteria.

see my response to his post.... nothing ill-informed. Did I make some errors sure but everything listed in posts are right on with what is happening.

If you are not bothered whatsoever by an industry which fought labeling of their products so consumers would be more informed
then choose to stay ignorant .

The industry also made testing of GMOs non existent..... repeat this to yourself...

NO one has tested this food to determine if it is safe. And it is not required.

You call my worry about what my children eat "ill-informed hysteria".... go ahead

KantoSooner
7/29/2013, 02:15 PM
see my response to his post.... nothing ill-informed. Did I make some errors sure but everything listed in posts are right on with what is happening.

If you are not bothered whatsoever by an industry which fought labeling of their products so consumers would be more informed
then choose to stay ignorant .

The industry also made testing of GMOs non existent..... repeat this to yourself...

NO one has tested this food to determine if it is safe. And it is not required.

You call my worry about what my children eat "ill-informed hysteria".... go ahead

Okay, where to begin?

GMO. You want non-GMO food? Plenty out there to buy. In fact, everything from Europe is non-GMO. In fact, Monsanto has basically been run out of Europe. So much for them being 800 lb gorillas. Or your can eat oat products. So far as I'm aware, there are no GMO oats. And so forth.

Likewise for the over-hyped rumor of Monsanto cornering the seed market. There are lots of non-GMO seeds out there. They might cost more, they might make using Round Up a non-viable option, but they are there. I had the pleasure of speaking with Denny Winterboer a couple of years ago. He's the farmer in Iowa who took a case against Monsanto to the SCOTUS on his own nickel. The issue at stake was whether Denny could harvest seed from his crops and then replant the next year with his own seed. No, said the court, not if you buy the seed originally under the terms that Monsanto has every buyer agree to, which is not to do that. Denny today? Far from being the put upon mensch that you might expect, he's farming around 1,600 acres of organic soy beans for specialty Japanese food manufacturers. Makes more money than he used to.

Or how about the famous Canadian Sup Court verdict in Monsanto's favor that is cited by every leftist green type who wants to show how 'the system' is 'rigged'? You know, the one in which Monsanto came down on a little guy whose crops had been 'cross contaminated' with Monsanto's evil modified seed. Apparently, so the retelling goes, through no more than the wafting of pollen through the air.

Well, it turns out that the little guy was actually a seed broker. In other words, a competitor of Monsanto's. He had gathered the seed from plants he had carefully located that were outside the neighbor's fencelilne and that he had good reason to believe were 'Roundup Ready'. He then planted them, applied Roundup and then harvested the survivors and turned them into a seed crop that he then was selling....at a serious discount to Monsanto's product.

Far from being an innocent little guy, he was a competitor who was also a thief.

Now we move on to testing. Monsanto has made testing impossible? Where and how? They have lobbied hard against the government requiring crippling, tobacco-like labelling that is unwarranted by the evidence available. and they have also lobbied against use of FDA or USDA funds to engage in 'ghost hunts' designed to try and find negative correlations. But if you as a person or university or other entity want to go forth and test, there is no evidence that you are anything other than perfectly free to do so. And, if you're looking for negative press, the EFSA has come out with reams. It just seems that their conclusions are not, so far, borne out by their own research.

Don't equate a failure to gain access to the public purse as denial of your rights or evidence of corruption of those denying you the right to spend common funds for whatever project strikes your fancy.

Monsanto bet their future when they moved everything into agribusiness (they used to do such things as silicon wafers, even. Imagine.) They then spent 30 years or so buidliing an IP base in agribusiness that is very, very strong. It seems a bit churlish now to deny them the fruits of their labors and the profit of same. Particularly when those who do not wish to buy their product are in no way damaged. Those who wish, can buy non-GMO seed all day long. They just can't then turn around and use Roundup, for instance. And the labelling/testing thing? Do you really want to live in a world in which every new product is presumed destructive? Should every inventor be forced to show that his invention is safe under all conceiveable cirsumstances? How about, instead, those who want this product to be burdened or banned to shoulder the load of making a case, using science? Why the presumption of guilt? Could it be that you're not really against GMO products at all, but merely against Monsanto's 'bigness'?

Want to be free of Monsanto's evil ways? Hie thee, then, to a farmer's market. See? That wasn't hard at all. I can hear Monsanto's marketeers gnashing their teeth.

yermom
7/29/2013, 02:24 PM
well, i think we know where Kanto works

olevetonahill
7/29/2013, 02:34 PM
well, i think we know where Kanto works

He's a Bum sleeping under a Park bench.

KantoSooner
7/29/2013, 03:16 PM
He's a Bum sleeping under a Park bench.

No, that's my Pappy.

No, I have my own staggering along little company. Quit the corporate world ten years ago. Miss having a salary. Don't miss the BS.

pphilfran
7/29/2013, 04:50 PM
Okay, where to begin?

GMO. You want non-GMO food? Plenty out there to buy. In fact, everything from Europe is non-GMO. In fact, Monsanto has basically been run out of Europe. So much for them being 800 lb gorillas. Or your can eat oat products. So far as I'm aware, there are no GMO oats. And so forth.

Likewise for the over-hyped rumor of Monsanto cornering the seed market. There are lots of non-GMO seeds out there. They might cost more, they might make using Round Up a non-viable option, but they are there. I had the pleasure of speaking with Denny Winterboer a couple of years ago. He's the farmer in Iowa who took a case against Monsanto to the SCOTUS on his own nickel. The issue at stake was whether Denny could harvest seed from his crops and then replant the next year with his own seed. No, said the court, not if you buy the seed originally under the terms that Monsanto has every buyer agree to, which is not to do that. Denny today? Far from being the put upon mensch that you might expect, he's farming around 1,600 acres of organic soy beans for specialty Japanese food manufacturers. Makes more money than he used to.

Or how about the famous Canadian Sup Court verdict in Monsanto's favor that is cited by every leftist green type who wants to show how 'the system' is 'rigged'? You know, the one in which Monsanto came down on a little guy whose crops had been 'cross contaminated' with Monsanto's evil modified seed. Apparently, so the retelling goes, through no more than the wafting of pollen through the air.

Well, it turns out that the little guy was actually a seed broker. In other words, a competitor of Monsanto's. He had gathered the seed from plants he had carefully located that were outside the neighbor's fencelilne and that he had good reason to believe were 'Roundup Ready'. He then planted them, applied Roundup and then harvested the survivors and turned them into a seed crop that he then was selling....at a serious discount to Monsanto's product.

Far from being an innocent little guy, he was a competitor who was also a thief.

Now we move on to testing. Monsanto has made testing impossible? Where and how? They have lobbied hard against the government requiring crippling, tobacco-like labelling that is unwarranted by the evidence available. and they have also lobbied against use of FDA or USDA funds to engage in 'ghost hunts' designed to try and find negative correlations. But if you as a person or university or other entity want to go forth and test, there is no evidence that you are anything other than perfectly free to do so. And, if you're looking for negative press, the EFSA has come out with reams. It just seems that their conclusions are not, so far, borne out by their own research.

Don't equate a failure to gain access to the public purse as denial of your rights or evidence of corruption of those denying you the right to spend common funds for whatever project strikes your fancy.

Monsanto bet their future when they moved everything into agribusiness (they used to do such things as silicon wafers, even. Imagine.) They then spent 30 years or so buidliing an IP base in agribusiness that is very, very strong. It seems a bit churlish now to deny them the fruits of their labors and the profit of same. Particularly when those who do not wish to buy their product are in no way damaged. Those who wish, can buy non-GMO seed all day long. They just can't then turn around and use Roundup, for instance. And the labelling/testing thing? Do you really want to live in a world in which every new product is presumed destructive? Should every inventor be forced to show that his invention is safe under all conceiveable cirsumstances? How about, instead, those who want this product to be burdened or banned to shoulder the load of making a case, using science? Why the presumption of guilt? Could it be that you're not really against GMO products at all, but merely against Monsanto's 'bigness'?

Want to be free of Monsanto's evil ways? Hie thee, then, to a farmer's market. See? That wasn't hard at all. I can hear Monsanto's marketeers gnashing their teeth.

Thank YOU Kanto! it is so comforting to see actual facts presented to quell panting, ill-informed hysteria.

IGotNoTiming
7/29/2013, 04:52 PM
Okay, where to begin?

Studies for you you and you...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1257596/

http://www.gmfreecymru.org/pivotal_papers/crucial28.htm

oh her's an article in that left leaning hippy rag, Scientific American

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=weed-whacking-herbicide-p

Kanto, Monsanto is now lobbying to have the active ingredients in Round boosted from their 1-2% concentrations to somewhere between 4and 5 times that amount... Why? Because super weeds are developing that are round up resistant now.

Just remember they are spraying that **** directly on the food that is growing.... not on just weed growing in the crack in the side walk.

I will do what I can in my power.... there is a long rap sheet on this company. See Anninston Alabama.

Oh they used to label Round Up as biodegradable too... that until that were forced to change that labeling...

There are way more studies in Europe and they are way more damning.... please be my guest....

KantoSooner
7/29/2013, 05:04 PM
You miss my point if you think I'm somehow in favor of eating poison. I just don't get the witch hunt against Monsanto. By all means, buy organic if you think it's better for you (very marginal evidence, at best in the lit I've seen) or worth the money (again, it would seem a pretty tough case to make).
I extensively garden. Here's what I do on the chemical side. I use a limited dose of fertilizer about three weeks before planting. The soil itself is a mixture of horse manure, mushroom mulch and river bottom soil that we supplement annually with compost. I use Sevin and Bayer broad spectrum once or twice around the end of June to knock the spider mites and horned worms down. Maybe another dosing in late August. Strict no harvest for seven days afterward.
We wash our veg religiously.
I am not a great fan of agribusiness in general, but I recognize that, with 7 billion on the planet, the days of subsistence agriculture for everyone are long, long past. So I accept that there are going to be compromises. So far, what I've seen on the anti-GMO front has been, here's that word again, hysteria. A lot of studies that say, in essence, 'It's weird, therefore it's bad" and then quote data tables that might or might not have anything at all to do with the issue at hand. And much of the movement seems suspiciously tied up with people who are wealthy enough to afford to buy pygmies to farm their Manhattan roof gardens. Prince Charles, I'm looking at you.
If the arguments make sense, people will buy in. In the meantime, I find it intellectually and ethically a bit wanting to heap the world's woes on Monsanto's shoulders.

pphilfran
7/29/2013, 05:38 PM
IGNT claims as fact...

Collusion and price fixing within the industry....

Oh, I know...

Cause the politicians are in bed with the industry giants...

So...

We now have collusion, price fixing, and corrupt public servants...

Wait...hold the presses!

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=weed-whacking-herbicide-p

Monsanto Co. (MON) and Dow Chemical Co. face delays in selling crops engineered to survive older weedkillers after the the U.S. Department of Agriculture announced increased scrutiny of the genetically modified plants.

Monsanto crops that tolerate applications of dicamba and Dow crops that tolerate 2,4-D will be evaluated in separate environmental impact statements, the USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service said today in a statement on its website. The crops were previously being evaluated through environmental assessments, which is a shorter review.

The new plants are supposed to augment Monsanto’s Roundup Ready crops, engineered to tolerate glyphosate, a weedkiller sold as Roundup. An increasing swath of farmland is infested with weeds that are no longer killed by the herbicide. The longer USDA review will delay introduction of 2,4-D tolerant corn, marketed under under the Enlist brand, by one year to 2015, said Garry Hamlin, a Dow spokesman.

“Glyphosate-resistant and hard-to-control weeds have spread” to 25 states in the four years since Dow began the approval process, the Midland, Michigan-based company said in a statement today. “These adverse trends will continue without new state-of-the-art solutions like the Enlist weed control system.”

I am no scientist...but it sounds to me that each link was reviewing direct exposure...I cannot think of any herbicide that is safe in regards to direct skin exposure....there may be some that are safe for direct skin exposure but the vast majority will not be safe to umbilical cord cells...

Why the big uproar over weeds developing a tolerance? That **** happens in pesticides, insecticides, hell even penicillin (or whatever the terminology would be)...do you actually want to get rid of a very large number of products because a tolerance can be developed?

No herbicide is going to meet your standards...we would all be in the fields pulling weeds...

IGotNoTiming
7/29/2013, 06:02 PM
Direct Exposure. Eating plants sprayed with Round Up...

pphilfran
7/29/2013, 06:06 PM
Look...I have concerns about genetically engineered crops and herbicide and pesticide usage on crops....

Yes, there are risks....but those risks seem to be very small while benefit is large...

That 2% solution sprayed on a young plant turns into .002% (just pulling a number out of my ***) on a mature plant.....how much weight difference between the small plant vs the mature plant with seed head?

pphilfran
7/29/2013, 06:12 PM
I see the problem...you live in Austin!

IGotNoTiming
7/29/2013, 06:15 PM
Because of the super weeds that have been created ...heavier and heavier doses have been suggested and again thelobby is pushing for higher legal concentration....

pphilfran
7/29/2013, 06:16 PM
Hell, they "soaked" sensitive growth cells in various solutions for extended periods of time....is anyone really surprised that the cell caught pneumonia and kicked the bucket?

pphilfran
7/29/2013, 06:19 PM
Because of the super weeds that have been created ...heavier and heavier doses have been suggested and again thelobby is pushing for higher legal concentration....

Insects and plants and germs all tend to develop a tolerance...

You should be the happiest mother ****er on earth...get every weed to develop a tolerance to a glyphosate and Round Up will be off the shelves....

olevetonahill
7/29/2013, 06:32 PM

Hell boy, I been sprayed with Agent Orange Bring on all the Good food .

IGotNoTiming
7/29/2013, 06:55 PM
I see the problem...you live in Austin!

Silly little man

REDREX
7/29/2013, 08:35 PM
I think if you dug just the tiniest bit... your would be rudely awakened by the practices that they have engaged, a giant web of lies and deceit and the inherent danger for all of us if they are to be allowed go unchecked.....---You talking about Monsanto or the Obama admin ?