PDA

View Full Version : 12 Year Old Girl Discovers All But One President Are Related

reflector
7/25/2013, 05:05 PM
This may be old news. This is the first time I have seen this though. I know it is probably not the type of topic that is usually posted here, but I thought it was interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk9I3_fpj38

C&CDean
7/25/2013, 05:26 PM
I can honestly say with 100% confidence that there's not a single drop of Ronaldus Maximus Reagan in the POS Obama. Nary. A. Drop.

FaninAma
7/25/2013, 05:38 PM
But, but, but I thought Obama considered himself to be an AFRICAN-American. I have never heard him embrace the white part of his ancestory.

cleller
7/25/2013, 06:23 PM
But, but, but I thought Obama considered himself to be an AFRICAN-American. I have never heard him embrace the white part of his ancestory.

That (white family) shizola ain't cool, bro.

Despite the fact that it is the only part of his family he ever knew. Obama probably had less interaction with the black community in childhood than many of us crackas.

Aside from all that, great work by the young lady.

Lott's Bandana
7/25/2013, 06:43 PM
I read somewhere the Bush's are related somehow.

SCOUT
7/25/2013, 11:33 PM
You would think Obama would be quick to reply to her request. She is supporting his birth claims!!

ouflak
7/26/2013, 05:16 AM
Surprising that nobody looked at the female ancestries as well! Impressive work by the young lady.

TAFBSooner
7/26/2013, 07:30 PM
Did anybody think it at all interesting that all but one of our presidents were descended from a frickin' KING? (And that that is how royalty is determined in the first place?)

I've heard the claim before that all presidents including Obama are descended from European royalty. This is the first I've heard that they almost all came from the same monarch.

stoopified
8/6/2013, 09:32 AM
wow

Jacie
8/6/2013, 11:31 AM
I thought we were all descended from Genghis Khan . . .

En_Fuego
8/6/2013, 12:07 PM
Illuminati

lol:friendly_wink:

stoopified
8/8/2013, 08:55 AM
After thinking about this a couple of days , I have a question ,has any PROFESSIONAL or credentialed geneaologist confirmed this? I don't mean to impugn the young lady;s work but it does seem odd that this has escaped the attention of those who do this for a living.

sooner_born_1960
8/8/2013, 09:20 AM
Is there a governing body for genealogists?

Lott's Bandana
8/8/2013, 10:18 AM
Is there a governing body for genealogists?

Probably in Salt Lake City.

jkjsooner
8/9/2013, 07:56 AM
Did anybody think it at all interesting that all but one of our presidents were descended from a frickin' KING? (And that that is how royalty is determined in the first place?)

I've heard the claim before that all presidents including Obama are descended from European royalty. This is the first I've heard that they almost all came from the same monarch.

I didn't watch this. How many generations do you have to go back to get to the king?

To be honest this doesn't surprise me one bit. I'd bet if we go back far enough many of us have descended from kings as well. The reason I say this is because as you go back generation by generation the number of people we directly descended from increases exponentially (in the literal mathematical sense of the definition).

We have two parents, four grandparents, eight great grandparents, sixteen great great grandparents... Going back 10 generation you have 1024 direct grandparents. (Well, at some point many of those probably start to duplicate.)

I love it when someone finds out he descended from a king from like 1200 or something and pretends he's some kind of big shot. Right, but you also have about a million other people from the king's generation you descended from as well. In addition there's probably several million people who directly descended from that same king.

jkjsooner
8/9/2013, 08:06 AM
Just listened to it. She's talked about the one lady being Obama's 10th great grandmother.

If I interpret that right, that's going back 12 generations (second great grandmother would be going back four generations).

So that's 2^12 or 4096 people you descended from. You take person A and person B and determine all 4096 10th great grandparents and you'll have two sets of 4096 people and likely have some overlap.

That's your homework. Let's assume there were 300 million people back 10 generations that we could have descended from (say we only consider Europeans). If you take two random sets of 4096, what is the probability that there is at least one overlap? If nobody solves it I may do it because I love those types of problems.

Anyway, if this girl's work is legit it's amazing work but the results aren't really shocking at all.

jkjsooner
8/9/2013, 08:27 AM
Heck, I decided to go ahead and solve that problem. First off, there was only 3 million in England in 1200 so my 300 million is way too high. Add in other western Europeans and we'll say 10 million. (The point isn't to be exactly correct but just to illustrate a point.)

First you take 4096 people from set 1. For simplicity let's assume they are all unique.

Now we begin taking a person from set 2. There is a (10 million - 4096) / 10 million chance that that person was not in set 1. If you do this 4096 times there is a ((10 million - 4096) / 10 million)^4096 chance that none of them were in set 1.

The odds of at least one overlap is 1 minus this number or:

1 - ((10 million - 4096) / 10 million)^4096 = 81.3%.

So we all have common ancestors and you don't have to go back to Adam and Eve to get there.

Edit: Just in case someone points this out, technically the above formula isn't completely correct but is a very good approximation if the population size is much larger than the size of these sets (which it is).