PDA

View Full Version : Worrisome development for Damien Williams

8timechamps
7/24/2013, 07:59 PM
It's been reported in a couple of places that Damien Williams has struggled making summer workouts (missing a lot of sessions, etc). If there is anything we know, it's that Stoops isn't "OK" with guys doing that. Currently, there is no word on how this could effect Williams, but it's certainly a little troubling for his future.

I'll post more as I get it.

SoonerKnight
7/24/2013, 08:27 PM
Well hopefully it is something that can be accepted such as family issues and not attitude issues.

Widescreen
7/24/2013, 10:21 PM
Yeah, that would be awesome if he was having family problems.

SoonerKnight
7/24/2013, 11:22 PM
Yeah, that would be awesome if he was having family problems.

Not what I meant. At least if he has a good reason he won't be in the dog house. If it is attitude then he can kiss PT goodbye.

olevetonahill
7/24/2013, 11:31 PM
Not what I meant. At least if he has a good reason he won't be in the dog house. If it is attitude then he can kiss PT goodbye.

I unnerstood Ya Bro

Yea Hopefully its NOT attitude and just some other reason causing this that CAN be worked out.

thecrimsoncrusader
7/25/2013, 05:34 AM
The infamous "Brent Rawls Restful Summer". Assuming it's true, when are these guys going to learn that Schmitty is Coach Stoops' right-hand man and if Schmitty doesn't have something positive to say about a specific player in off-season drills, that player won't be starting...at least at the beginning of the season.

swardboy
7/25/2013, 07:03 AM
If attitude, then enter the freshman...what's his name?

What's the word on Finch these days?

thecrimsoncrusader
7/25/2013, 07:41 AM
If attitude, then enter the freshman...what's his name?

What's the word on Finch these days?

Finch has been having his best off-season ever in terms of commitment and performance. As far as the freshman, are you referring to Keith Ford?

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
7/25/2013, 08:10 AM
Why is it that every kid named Damien turns out to be FU'd in some way?

badger
7/25/2013, 09:21 AM

I've been calling him "D.D." instead for that very reason :)

colleyvillesooner
7/25/2013, 09:21 AM
Finch has been having his best off-season ever in terms of commitment and performance. As far as the freshman, are you referring to Keith Ford?

Or Alex Ross

PrideMom
7/25/2013, 09:24 AM
I just hope he isn't "working" at a car dealership. (AKA Rhett Bomar)

thecrimsoncrusader
7/25/2013, 05:45 PM
Or Alex Ross

Yeah, but he said freshman, not redshirt freshman. :lemo: Yeah, weak smart *** attempt. I hope Ross can stay healthy, he was quite the talent at Jenks and with Cale Gundy making Mike Gaddis comparisons, it's hard not to be optimistic.

hornswaggled
7/25/2013, 08:12 PM

Must be some kind of omen.

swardboy
7/25/2013, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys...Ross is who I was trying to remember. But I'd drive a Ford if you know what I mean.

In the meantime, DW's coast to coast run against Texas was epic. I hope he gets it together and finishes well.

8timechamps
7/25/2013, 08:48 PM
Don't forget Samaje Perine...he's going to be pretty damn good.

SoonerMarkVA
7/25/2013, 08:51 PM
I hope Finch has a bust-out Senior season. I've always liked him on the field. If he's getting it between the ears and working hard, maybe it'll all come together for him.

stoopified
7/25/2013, 10:07 PM
Finch has been having his best off-season ever in terms of commitment and performance. As far as the freshman, are you referring to Keith Ford?I was thinking Alex Ross

picasso
7/26/2013, 12:14 PM
Some of you guys are forgetting this guy had some perfectly timed long runs last season that saved our butt.

thecrimsoncrusader
7/26/2013, 01:26 PM
Some of you guys are forgetting this guy had some perfectly timed long runs last season that saved our butt.

Like when it was 17-7 in the 4th quarter against UTEP and then Williams rips off a 65 yard TD run?

Like when it was just 6-2 in favor of Oklahoma against Texas on the 5 yard line of Oklahoma and Williams rips off a 95 yard TD run?

Like when it was 14-10 in favor of Oklahoma against Baylor and Williams scores a TD?

Like when it was 35-26 in favor of Oklahoma against Baylor and Williams scores a 17 yard TD?

Like when it was 24-17 in favor of Oklahoma against West Virginia and Williams rips off a 48 yard TD run?

Like when it was 14-7 in favor of Oklahoma against TCU and Willliams rips off a 66 yard TD run?

If so, then I concur.

swardboy
7/26/2013, 02:15 PM
"Like when it was just 6-2 in favor of Oklahoma against Texas on the 5 yard line of Oklahoma and Williams rips off a 95 yard TD run?"

I've already referenced that one, so you can't use it. Na na na na naaaa.

colleyvillesooner
7/26/2013, 02:21 PM
Yeah, but he said freshman, not redshirt freshman. :lemo: Yeah, weak smart *** attempt. I hope Ross can stay healthy, he was quite the talent at Jenks and with Cale Gundy making Mike Gaddis comparisons, it's hard not to be optimistic.
technically that IS a freshman...

Thanks guys...Ross is who I was trying to remember. But I'd drive a Ford if you know what I mean.

Boom

I was thinking Alex Ross

Boom.

;)

8timechamps
7/26/2013, 03:59 PM
While I would be slightly disappointed if Williams isn't ready to open the season, OU is pretty deep at RB, and I think there are more than a couple of guys that can get it done.

olevetonahill
7/26/2013, 04:29 PM
While I would be slightly disappointed if Williams isn't ready to open the season, OU is pretty deep at RB, and I think there are more than a couple of guys that can get it done.

So Any facts yet?

picasso
7/26/2013, 05:38 PM
So Any facts yet?

On the intranets?

8timechamps
7/26/2013, 07:38 PM
So Any facts yet?

The only thing I've heard (from a very reliable source) is that Williams missed a lot (or most) of the summer workouts. It was so much that he was called into the football offices and had a "come to Jesus" meeting with Schmidt.

I don't know if Stoops was there, or not, but if history has taught us anything, it's that Stoops places a high priority on his guys making a full commitment. A lesson Roy Finch learned the hard way.

I doubt we'll here any more about this until the season opens (or the official depth chart is released). I wouldn't be surprised to see Clay as the starter against ULM.

On a separate note, the same source told me that Jordan Phillips (DT) has missed quite a few summer workouts too (although not as many as Williams). That's a little more concerning, because we are not exactly stacked at DT. I hope both these guys get their act together.

birddog
7/26/2013, 08:20 PM
The only thing I've heard (from a very reliable source) is that Williams missed a lot (or most) of the summer workouts. It was so much that he was called into the football offices and had a "come to Jesus" meeting with Schmidt.

I don't know if Stoops was there, or not, but if history has taught us anything, it's that Stoops places a high priority on his guys making a full commitment. A lesson Roy Finch learned the hard way.

I doubt we'll here any more about this until the season opens (or the official depth chart is released). I wouldn't be surprised to see Clay as the starter against ULM.

On a separate note, the same source told me that Jordan Phillips (DT) has missed quite a few summer workouts too (although not as many as Williams). That's a little more concerning, because we are not exactly stacked at DT. I hope both these guys get their act together.

according to Sooner Sports, we have 12 DE's and 7 D-Linemen. 3 of those D-line guys don't have jersey numbers.

8timechamps
7/26/2013, 08:47 PM
according to Sooner Sports, we have 12 DE's and 7 D-Linemen. 3 of those D-line guys don't have jersey numbers.

Yeah, the numbers are there, but how many of those guys can make immediate contributions? I'm still not sure Ndulue can be an effective DT game-in and game-out, and I'm not assuming Quincy Russell with be there. That leaves Phillips as the best DT on the roster, with a (so far) underwhelming Jordan Wade, Torrea Peterson and several incoming freshman. We really need one of those guys to come up big this year.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/26/2013, 10:11 PM
Like when it was 17-7 in the 4th quarter against UTEP and then Williams rips off a 65 yard TD run?

Like when it was just 6-2 in favor of Oklahoma against Texas on the 5 yard line of Oklahoma and Williams rips off a 95 yard TD run?

Like when it was 14-10 in favor of Oklahoma against Baylor and Williams scores a TD?

Like when it was 35-26 in favor of Oklahoma against Baylor and Williams scores a 17 yard TD?

Like when it was 24-17 in favor of Oklahoma against West Virginia and Williams rips off a 48 yard TD run?

Like when it was 14-7 in favor of Oklahoma against TCU and Willliams rips off a 66 yard TD run?

If so, then I concur.

What's wrong with him? Why doesn't he score when we are behind?:witless:

stoopified
7/27/2013, 02:52 PM
Off season workouts are voluntary, so I don't think inconsistant attendance can keep a player from starting.On the other hand it will take hard work in fall camp to overcome what those who do show up and excel in offseason conditioning work have done. I will be a lot more worried about what happens in fall camp.

Widescreen
7/27/2013, 07:53 PM
Off season workouts are voluntary, so I don't think inconsistant attendance can keep a player from starting.

no offense, but I think that's naive. They won't kick someone off the team for not going to the "voluntary" workouts but there will be consequences.

8timechamps
7/27/2013, 07:54 PM
no offense, but I think that's naive. They won't kick someone off the team for not going to the "voluntary" workouts but there will be consequences.

Agreed. The summer workouts are "voluntary" to playing time like breathing is to staying alive.

SoonerNomad
7/31/2013, 11:06 AM
Did you guys see the story about the NFL player that lost 2 million of his 2.9 million salary because he didn't show up for "voluntary" off season workouts? It was in his contract and he didn't know? He fired his agent.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/49ers-cb-tarell-brown-voids-2-million-salary-120021051.html

Sometimes voluntary is not voluntary.

Soonerjeepman
7/31/2013, 01:10 PM

ya got to be kidding me...this happens in HIGH SCHOOL...sure as he11 it happens at OU.

oops..wanted to quote your quote..my bad.

SoonerLB
8/6/2013, 01:48 PM
Did you guys see the story about the NFL player that lost 2 million of his 2.9 million salary because he didn't show up for "voluntary" off season workouts? It was in his contract and he didn't know? He fired his agent.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/49ers-cb-tarell-brown-voids-2-million-salary-120021051.html

Sometimes voluntary is not voluntary.

That saXet education evidently didn't include reading and communications . . . :D

birddog
8/11/2013, 11:21 AM
anybody know if dd is looking better out there? i know we are deep at rb but he's a big part of our offense and gets between the tackles better than the others.

Soonerjeepman
8/11/2013, 11:25 AM
nope...Stoops said Ross "stood out" on the offensive side of the scrimmage sat...

birddog
8/11/2013, 11:33 AM
yeah, just curious. i'd like to see roy get on the field alot. both ross and ford already have some beef on em. looks pretty cool for the future.

birddog
8/11/2013, 11:34 AM
also perine looks ok.

stoopified
8/11/2013, 12:41 PM
no offense, but I think that's naive. They won't kick someone off the team for not going to the "voluntary" workouts but there will be consequences.We have had players who went home for the summer skipping voluntary workouts altogether to work out on their own. Brandon Danieks for example did that and had a great senior year. I do agree that those who attend the workouts put themselves in a better position to start but those who don't CAN suceed they just have to do the work on their own before camp starts.

My main point is I don't worry about the offseason stuff,I worry about what happens in fall camp. Based on what I have heard thus far,I'm thinking Williams put in enough offseason work to leave himself in good ahape physically and in good graces with the coaches .In any case,fall camp is started and if Williams sinks down the dpthchart we will know he didn't work hard enough. The counterpoint is that if he is still the starter,he must of got the work in. We will find out soon ,one way or another.