PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops: Fans should TWEET recruits?

SoonerKnight
7/24/2013, 01:04 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/7/24/4552542/bob-stoops-twitter-recruiting

badger
7/24/2013, 01:08 PM
Back when NP played EA Sports' video game, he would do the equivalent of shouting "SEC! SEC" into the phone and hang up, causing cyber recruits to suddenly feel worse about the non-SEC school they were leaning toward.

It was hilarious, but it wouldn't be if such sh!tty tactics worked in real life.

SoonerKnight
7/24/2013, 03:03 PM
Just suprised Stoops would want fans to talk to the recruits. Could hurt more than help.

SoonerObsession
7/24/2013, 04:52 PM
I love OU football...too much actually. You will never catch me trying to follow Johnny 5 star on twitter and get him on board with the Sooners. It's a shame a kid actually weighs his college choice on how many fans from each school are worshiping him. My 2 cents: if that's what they want, let them go to Ole Miss or whatever fan base has the most kiss-ups. We don't need a player that is concerned with this crap.

SoonerKnight
7/24/2013, 05:10 PM
I love OU football...too much actually. You will never catch me trying to follow Johnny 5 star on twitter and get him on board with the Sooners. It's a shame a kid actually weighs his college choice on how many fans from each school are worshiping him. My 2 cents: if that's what they want, let them go to Ole Miss or whatever fan base has the most kiss-ups. We don't need a player that is concerned with this crap.

I agree! I would not spend my time trying to plead for a recruit to pick OU! I don't tweet anyway. It is funny I am in my mid 30's and I feel really old because I do not understand a generation that likes to put their entire life history on the internet. Why would a kid want the opinion of a fan. They are fans of course they love the school the kid is considering. Different generation. I train new employees at my work and when we get these young kids come in it amazes me at how different this new generation is.

8timechamps
7/24/2013, 06:44 PM
I'm still waiting on someone to explain how that is a NCAA violation. Don't get me wrong, I'm not even on Twitter (and would find it sketchy or creepy if I were on, and did that), but what exactly can the NCAA do about people expressing their opinions in a public forum? I'm guessing nothing.

For whatever reason, the Tweeting at recruits by fan-bases does seem to be having some affect (see Ole Miss and Tennessee). Maybe it's that kids these days need to have their ego stroked, or need to be made to feel important. Whatever the reason, it's clearly not going away.

SoonerKnight
7/24/2013, 08:29 PM
I'm still waiting on someone to explain how that is a NCAA violation. Don't get me wrong, I'm not even on Twitter (and would find it sketchy or creepy if I were on, and did that), but what exactly can the NCAA do about people expressing their opinions in a public forum? I'm guessing nothing.

For whatever reason, the Tweeting at recruits by fan-bases does seem to be having some affect (see Ole Miss and Tennessee). Maybe it's that kids these days need to have their ego stroked, or need to be made to feel important. Whatever the reason, it's clearly not going away.

They are a very sensitive bunch. These kids today!! I tell you what!!

jkjsooner
7/25/2013, 10:02 AM

Technically a representative of a university's athletic interests cannot contact prospective recruits except for those contacts that are allowed. Any donor or alumni is considered a representative of the university.

So, technically it is definitely wrong. This rule probably made some sense prior to the Internet and especially prior to the rise in social media. Now it's almost impossible to enforce.

As for what the NCAA can do, they could hold the university accountable. They couldn't do much to you since you haven't broken any laws although they could force the university to cease contact with you including not allowing you to have season tickets...

Scott D
7/25/2013, 02:34 PM
That's just creepy to get involved in the recruitment of someone you don't know. Hell I felt guilty giving requested advice to a friend of mine whose son is a pretty heavily recruited player in the 2014 class.

picasso
7/25/2013, 03:11 PM
Carey Murdoch was on the radio talking about the WR we lost to Ole Miss last year. He dropped OU because wasn't being followed enough by our fans on instagram, Twitter or something.
Sad but true.

cleller
7/25/2013, 06:20 PM
Twitter is the official Judas Goat of the Millennial Generation, or whatever the heck the current crop of text obsessed teens is called.

SoonerKnight
7/25/2013, 08:00 PM
I just thought they were called bums!!! LOL!

8timechamps
7/25/2013, 08:51 PM
Technically a representative of a university's athletic interests cannot contact prospective recruits except for those contacts that are allowed. Any donor or alumni is considered a representative of the university.

So, technically it is definitely wrong. This rule probably made some sense prior to the Internet and especially prior to the rise in social media. Now it's almost impossible to enforce.

As for what the NCAA can do, they could hold the university accountable. They couldn't do much to you since you haven't broken any laws although they could force the university to cease contact with you including not allowing you to have season tickets...

That covers the donor's and alumni, but what about the tens of thousands that aren't either? I have a 13 year old son, if he decided to tweet a recruit, there is absolutely no rule against that. Like you said, the rule may have made some sense prior to social media, but at this point, and like so many other rules, it's archaic.

SoonerKnight
7/29/2013, 03:08 AM
The University according to the Oklahoman clarified Stoop's comments by reminding everyone that it is a violation to have fans tweet recruits. I don't see it. First, the University can not control my tweets and to whom I tweet if I was to tweet. Also, any fan who causes their team to get in trouble well they will need a new team to be fans of.

Kinda like that guy a few years ago that screwed up the out causing his team to lose because he interfered with the ball being caught!!

Sabanball
7/29/2013, 09:34 AM
Lots of recruits troll on twitter and say things not meant to be taken literally. That being the case, I'm not sure that this is such a good idea.

8timechamps
7/29/2013, 03:11 PM
The NCAA remains pretty silent on the issue. Because they know there is absolutely no way they can regulate the fans. People that want to tweet recruits will continue doing so, then people that are too old, or don't care about Tweeting (like me), will continue to ignore the whole thing.

Bob was right, there is no stopping it.