PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant situation--who was more wrong?

Pricetag
7/24/2013, 12:48 PM
So my family and I dined at a casual American restaurant a few weeks back, and were witness to something that got us talking. I wanted to see what other folks thought about it.

We ordered chips and queso as an appetizer. We never got it. Turns out, the food runner delivered it to the table across from us, and they ate it, despite the fact that they did not order it.

Our waitress figured out what happened a short while later and brought us our appetizer, explaining what had happened. She did not tell us that the neighboring table had eaten it without ordering it--we heard that from their own mouths when the waitress was talking to them about it a bit earlier.

Our interest piqued (and a bit miffed that those folks ate our chips and queso), we kept an eye on them. When their bill came, the waitress had put an order of chips and queso on there. They demanded that she take it off, and she did. The woman was obviously indignant over the whole situation, and tipped the waitress two quarters.

I was wondering who everyone thought was more wrong in this scenario.

I've never waited tables, but I'm guessing there is a rule, written or not, that you never charge a customer for an item that they did not order. It just seems like one of those situations where you grit your teeth and say "the customer is always right" when they are obviously not.

Conversely, the ethical thing for the customer to do is to refuse something not ordered, unless it is made clear that it is being given free. There was no mistaking this place for a Mexican restaurant--there was no expectation of free chips. They knew what they were doing. They thought they were getting a freebie due to someone else's mistake.

My wife and I ended up on the side of the waitress. Part of it, I'm sure, was a bit of personal offense over the other table eating the chips and queso that was meant for us. I loved seeing her try to stick it to them, even though I knew it was a risky move on her part.

I thought of what I would have done in their place, and it never ended up being what they did. We would have sent it back in the first place. If we did eat it, we probably would have been willing to pay for it, maybe being a bit miffed that it was put on there without our knowledge. If we did demand that it be taken off, we never would have stiffed. I just don't think the grounds for such indignance were there, given our complicity in the whole thing.

What do you guys think?

yermom
7/24/2013, 01:26 PM
putting it on their bill without talking to them about it is not the way to go if you want a tip, regardless of if it was right to not tip her

OULenexaman
I think chips and queso should be free in every Mexican restaurant like it used to be back in the day....

olevetonahill
Depends on the age of the folks at the other table Old Young an dumb?
Was it their 1st time at the place?
I dont see a big deal either way .

SanJoaquinSooner
7/24/2013, 01:27 PM
If the bank accidently deposits $1000 in my account I am not legally able to claim it and spend it without repaying it.

So, I agree, the waitress is right in one sense - she could expect them to pay. But in this context, for something like an appetizer, I'd probably write it off.... unlike if she had accidently served one of the guests steak and lobster. Certainly the guest can't eat it and think it is free.

If she took it off the bill, those guests were *******s for tipping 50 cents.

yermom
7/24/2013, 01:29 PM
I think chips and queso should be free in every Mexican restaurant like it used to be back in the day....

most of the places with free queso have crappy queso anyway

tortillas and queso are just about never free outside of OK though it seems

TheHumanAlphabet
7/24/2013, 01:41 PM
Problem as I understand it, it was NOT a Mexican place. It was an American place say like a Ruby Tuesday's.

The jerks were wrong for accepting something they didn't order and eating it. They were wrong for not tipping.

If I ate it, I would expect to pay for it.

Scott D
7/24/2013, 01:48 PM
Problem as I understand it, it was NOT a Mexican place. It was an American place say like a Ruby Tuesday's.

The jerks were wrong for accepting something they didn't order and eating it. They were wrong for not tipping.

This.

colleyvillesooner
7/24/2013, 01:52 PM
**** them and their chips. They should have paid for it. we have had this happen and usually say something like "we'll take it if its just going in the trash" implying it should be free. But i would never east something assuming it would be free, then not tip because they charged me for something i ate.

****ing people...

Mjcpr
7/24/2013, 01:57 PM
What did they have to drink with said chips and queso?

rock on sooner
7/24/2013, 02:15 PM
The other couple should have asked "Is this complimentary? We didn't order
this." And sent it back. They're bums for stiffing the server. She should
have said something to the effect, "Since you folks took the order, I'll just
add it to your bill." When the couple squawked, (I'm sure they would have)
the server could quickly say that she was only following policy, but she'd not
add it to their bill. Server is a hero, couple is shown as the creeps they are and
Pricetag could catch the couple's eye and smirk...shaming the creeps and they
would feel guilty and at least tip the server. :triumphant::cocksure::sneakiness:

SanJoaquinSooner
7/24/2013, 02:49 PM
Of course there is a reasonable scenario where an appetizer arrives and everybody thinks someone else ordered it for all to share. This is more likely if the number in the party is large. So it is conceivable that they weren't consciously eating food they knew wasn't ordered.

I not suggesting this was the case in OP's situation.

badger
7/24/2013, 02:50 PM
1- Visit notalwaysright.com (http://notalwaysright.com), notalwaysworking.com (http://notalwaysworking.com) or retailhellunderground.com (http://retailhellunderground.com).

There is no #2. You will never feel anything but sympathy for the minimum wagers (or less) out there ever again. The #### they go through for piddly wages is insane.

yermom
7/24/2013, 03:06 PM
the sense of entitlement they have is also high. meh.

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2013, 03:07 PM
1)The restaurant should not have charged either party for the chips and salsa.
2)The other table that received your chips and salsa should have said something.
3)The other table should have tipped well for a mistake that resulted in receiving a free app.

Lott's Bandana
7/24/2013, 03:13 PM
1)The restaurant should not have charged either party for the chips and salsa.
2)The other table that received your chips and salsa should have said something.
3)The other table should have tipped well for a mistake that resulted in receiving a free app.

Yes.
And sadly, both orders would have come out of the waitress's measly paycheck in many instances.

Chips and Q are so common and benign. If she brought fried pickles or shrimp cocktail, the other table would likely have gone, "wtf"?

stoopified
7/24/2013, 03:17 PM
1- Visit notalwaysright.com (http://notalwaysright.com), notalwaysworking.com (http://notalwaysworking.com) or retailhellunderground.com (http://retailhellunderground.com).

There is no #2. You will never feel anything but sympathy for the minimum wagers (or less) out there ever again. The #### they go through for piddly wages is insane. Truer words were never spoken.My mother was a waitress for most of the 40+ years of her working life and I have always thought food service is the hardest job for the least money. By law tipped employees don't get minimum wage,I think currently they get like $3.50 an hour plus tips, according to a waiter firend who works at Olive Garden.

I have had unordered food delivered to my table on more than one occassion.We always bring it to the server's attention. often resulting in free appetizer or dessert courtesy of management. Can't understand the mindset of those who don't speak up.

olevetonahill
7/24/2013, 05:01 PM
Of course there is a reasonable scenario where an appetizer arrives and everybody thinks someone else ordered it for all to share. This is more likely if the number in the party is large. So it is conceivable that they weren't consciously eating food they knew wasn't ordered.

I not suggesting this was the case in OP's situation.

Why i said we need mo Info.

Soonerjeepman
7/24/2013, 05:38 PM

yup...or at least tell our waitress when it was delivered and they prob would say just have it on the house..can't take it back.

8timechamps
7/24/2013, 07:16 PM
I'm always entertained by stupid people. Always.

If something comes to your table that you didn't order, how does one assume it's just free? Nothing is free.

Sure, the waitperson should not have charged the customer, but I'm sure the customer became irrate almost immediately (after cramming the "free" food in their pie hole, and knowing it wasn't really free).

Chances are, these people were going to tip poorly anyway. Sucks for the waitress.

I think we all know someone that is always looking for a "freebie". There's nothing wrong with being frugal, but always trying to find a handout (whether it's arguing with the waitperson, or complaining to a manager about service), it's asinine. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about the occasional instance when service is so poor that a discount is warranted, I'm talking about the person that goes in looking for a freebie every time. We all know one or two of those folks, and it sounds like that's what the waitress was dealing with from the start.

rock on sooner
7/24/2013, 08:07 PM
My daughter, who just got her BSN in Nursing, worked as a server for
$3.09/hr here in IA, for the same company but one or two different
locations. In one location, if she got stiffed, it cost her, the other,no.
She rocked as a server and could spot trouble when it sat in her station.
Her descriptions fit the OP's description, hence my post #11, which is
how she handled more than one of those situations, with great success.
Got no use fer sum of that type and, if in the dining room and I saw it,
I'd blow the whistle big time. No reason for that approach, none!!!

BigTip
7/24/2013, 08:53 PM
Y'all all seem very reasonable and good people. If you want to be a hero some time, YOU say something to the *** hole table, because the server can't.

"Hey! Smooth move jerks for giving that poor girl a hard time for giving you free ****ing food."
That would be WAY better than a good tip to that server. Believe me.

olevetonahill
7/24/2013, 09:14 PM
Still Need to know the Age of the Folks that got the Free food and was it their 1st time at this place?
Could be like most have said they were arseholes. Or they could have been just confused and Poor.

Not enough Info to really make a statement .

olevetonahill
7/24/2013, 09:16 PM
Plus Some Yall think that POOR waitress or Waiter only makes 2.13 an hour.
Bull Shat, Most of em in a decent place can Bank a K a week easy

Pricetag
7/24/2013, 09:25 PM
It was a party of three. A forty-something mom and her two tween daughters. They looked upper-middle class to me. She paid with a fifty.

olevetonahill
7/24/2013, 09:35 PM
It was a party of three. A forty-something mom and her two tween daughters. They looked upper-middle class to me. She paid with a fifty.

Any possible way they could have thot the Apps were Free? A lot of rests. offer that kinda stuff Comp.

Now After the Waitress explaned it they shouldnt have been Bitches and either Paid or at Least tipped good.

Turd_Ferguson
7/24/2013, 10:30 PM

What does upper middle class look like?

olevetonahill
7/24/2013, 10:57 PM
What does upper middle class look like?

Slightly ABOVE middle class and way the Hell above the rest of us Peons.
Pay Tention.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/24/2013, 11:23 PM
Still Need to know the Age of the Folks that got the Free food and was it their 1st time at this place?
Could be like most have said they were arseholes. Or they could have been just confused and Poor.

Not enough Info to really make a statement .

Vet, there you go again defending the poor and confused.

olevetonahill
7/24/2013, 11:35 PM
Vet, there you go again defending the poor and confused.

Well hell he dint say they was Poor Illegal Beaners>:cocksure:

8timechamps
7/24/2013, 11:55 PM
Y'all all seem very reasonable and good people. If you want to be a hero some time, YOU say something to the *** hole table, because the server can't.

"Hey! Smooth move jerks for giving that poor girl a hard time for giving you free ****ing food."
That would be WAY better than a good tip to that server. Believe me.

I haven't done that in a restaurant, but I have done it at the gas station and Target.

In both instances, the customer was irate and ripping on the cashier (both times it was something completely out of the control of the cashier). What made it better was in both instances, I said something and immediately several people in line joined in with me. I think most people have it in them, but sometimes it takes one person standing up and speaking up.

olevetonahill
7/25/2013, 12:02 AM
I haven't done that in a restaurant, but I have done it at the gas station and Target.

In both instances, the customer was irate and ripping on the cashier (both times it was something completely out of the control of the cashier). What made it better was in both instances, I said something and immediately several people in line joined in with me. I think most people have it in them, but sometimes it takes one person standing up and speaking up.

Yup. I remember 25 years er so ago I lived in Broken Arrow, Got up one morning Made My coffee and wast Just rinsing off from the Shower when I had NO water, I say WTF and Look out and the City dude is driving away.
I go down to City Hall to get my water back on and the Lady said to me. " You are the the Nicest person ever to come in here" I look at her and Say Did "YOU forget to pay MY water bill"?

Why get all pissed at a worker for sompun beyond their control?

SicEmBaylor
7/25/2013, 12:26 AM
I always order two beverages with my meal. Initially, I order a soft drink (Coke/Pepsi). When I order my food, I order an adult-beverage consistent with whatever entree I ordered -- I do this with explicit instructions to the waitress that I want my adult-beverage served WITH my food. Not before; not after -- WITH my meal.

This has more or less been my routine since I was 21. In all of those years, only twice has a waitress managed to actually bring my drink out at the same time as my food order. Twice. I tipped very very well in both those cases.

soonerhubs
7/25/2013, 07:59 AM
I'm on the side of the waitress.
I know of a couple idiots in our family who look for excuses not to tip.

I seldom eat with these *******s.

We went to Click's in Pawnee (a favorite of mine) a couple years back, and we made the mistake of going with one socially inept relative.

She ordered her steak well done. Stupid. She then complained, after finishing her meal, that the steak was too raw and said to make sure the cook new it, in a condescending tone.

I tipped extra on my end of the table, and left the following note: I'm sorry for my stupid relative's rudeness. She wouldn't know a good steak if it bit her on the ***.

She'll never eat at Click's, with us, again. Some folks have the social skills of a goat's ***, and they consume many sneezers that they'll never know about.

yermom
7/25/2013, 08:38 AM
sure, customers are often wrong, and that one was, but "the customer is always right" isn't literal. and it's more important to remember when your paycheck relies on them being happy on a daily scale

being passive aggressive isn't going to get you a better tip. being "right" doesn't pay the bills

soonerhubs
7/25/2013, 08:41 AM
sure, customers are often wrong, and that one was, but "the customer is always right" isn't literal. and it's more important to remember when your paycheck relies on them being happy on a daily scale

being passive aggressive isn't going to get you a better tip. being "right" doesn't pay the bills

I agree with you. This correct principle applies to many contexts, including romantic and parent-child relationships.

badger
7/25/2013, 09:36 AM
Consider always tipping 10 percent, even if service is mediocre:

1- They make less than minimum wage.
2- They may get income taxed on a percentage of the check whether you tip or not.
3- You'll make people happy

stoops the eternal pimp
7/25/2013, 09:43 AM
I've had stuff dropped off at our table we didn't order..I called the waiter/waitress back and say we didn't order it.. she apologizes and then asks if we want it without charge which I respond not if you are going to get in trouble for it..

jkjsooner
7/25/2013, 10:27 AM
I'd be willing to give the restaurant the benefit of the doubt. The server might have put the chips and queso in the computer incorrectly. After that was done these would have been delivered to the wrong table and showed up on their bill. The server may have not realized this is what happened until the party complained about their bill.

If you look at it that way, the other party was completely wrong for not tipping considering it could have been an honest mistake. Subtract a little for the mistake if you must (I wouldn't) but don't be an ahole and top 50 cents.

And, yes, if I eat something that I didn't order I would pay for it - unless I told them I didn't order it ahead of time and they allowed me to keep it anyway.,

oudanny
7/25/2013, 10:37 AM
I have nothing new to add so I'll just echo that the group should have informed their server about the misplaced chips. If their service was good, they should have tipped appropriately.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/25/2013, 11:32 AM
I didn't know it was standard practice to make a waitress pay for her mistake.

I once dropped an air conditioning unit off a forklift when I worked shipping & receiving for an A/C distributor. Fortunately, they didn't take it out of my paycheck. Now I'm wondering about legal issues of that practice.

rock on sooner
7/25/2013, 12:43 PM
Any organization worth their salt...warehouse, restaurant, retail establishment,
etc. will cover those issues in employee manuals or indoctrination so there are
no surprises. Legality would be an issue if it wasn't covered and the company
tried to do it and the employee balked....

nighttrain12
7/25/2013, 01:29 PM
We ordered chips and queso as an appetizer.

If I was wrongly served this I would likely think it was free. They should never charge for this. The customers though should have tipped normal.

Scott D
7/25/2013, 02:25 PM
I'm on the side of the fact that whether those people got free chips or they didn't get free chips they would have likely tipped poorly.

badger
7/25/2013, 03:20 PM
I didn't know it was standard practice to make a waitress pay for her mistake.

Standard? Not sure, but it definitely goes on. With this in mind, don't applaud or chastise waitresses that drop a full tray of food --- it may be coming out of her paycheck, and she'll likely be the one cleaning it up.

Now I'm wondering about legal issues of that practice.

Would they be able to afford an attorney if it's illegal?

SoonerAtKU
7/25/2013, 03:34 PM
I always order two beverages with my meal. Initially, I order a soft drink (Coke/Pepsi). When I order my food, I order an adult-beverage consistent with whatever entree I ordered -- I do this with explicit instructions to the waitress that I want my adult-beverage served WITH my food. Not before; not after -- WITH my meal.

This has more or less been my routine since I was 21. In all of those years, only twice has a waitress managed to actually bring my drink out at the same time as my food order. Twice. I tipped very very well in both those cases.

It's a reasonable request, but have you thought about why that is? I mean, for the number of times you've eaten at a restaurant, have you noticed a pattern about how they are laid out and why that might be?

BigTip
7/25/2013, 04:55 PM
Initially, I order a soft drink (Coke/Pepsi).

Your (Coke/Pepsi) thing made me think of when I order a soft drink.
I usually order like this, "I'll have a diet cola." I'm going to take what the house carries.
I find it interesting that nine out of ten times they will come back with, "Is Coca Cola okay?" Or, "is Pepsi okay?"

C&CDean
7/26/2013, 10:21 AM
Why would you order chips and queso at an American restaurant? That's like ordering a hot dog at a Mexican joint. You want Mexican, go to a Mexican joint.

Oh yeah, the bitch and her bitchettes will get theirs. Karma being what it is and all.

Pricetag
7/26/2013, 11:05 AM
Heh, good question. I think becuse it's cheap. Seems like appetizers are all approaching ten bucks these days, and most places have it for half that or less.

sanantoniosooner
7/26/2013, 12:29 PM
Why would you order chips and queso at an American restaurant? That's like ordering a hot dog at a Mexican joint. You want Mexican, go to a Mexican joint.

Oh yeah, the bitch and her bitchettes will get theirs. Karma being what it is and all.

There's a Mexican restaurant here that has one of the best chicken fried chickens I've had anywhere. Especially good if you go with queso on it with rice and beans instead if gravy and fries.

OULenexaman
7/26/2013, 01:22 PM
that is just wrong...

C&CDean
7/26/2013, 01:41 PM
There's a Mexican restaurant here that has one of the best chicken fried chickens I've had anywhere. Especially good if you go with queso on it with rice and beans instead if gravy and fries.

There's a terrible mexican restaurant in Pauls Valley that has the best hamburgers in town. Go figure.

jkjsooner
7/26/2013, 02:12 PM
Standard? Not sure, but it definitely goes on. With this in mind, don't applaud or chastise waitresses that drop a full tray of food --- it may be coming out of her paycheck, and she'll likely be the one cleaning it up.

Well, I had one dump a whole tray of drinks in my lap. I was nice to her because I knew she felt bad. I wasn't happy when I got my bill and there was no adjustment for sitting through lunch with a lap full of sodas. I bit my tongue then as well because I really did feel sorry for the girl. The manager really dropped the ball. I never went back there. Had the paid for my meal (not that it was that much) I would have felt that the restaurant (not just the server) was sorry for the mistake and would have gone back.

Luckily my boss was kind enough to let me go home and change...

badger
7/26/2013, 03:17 PM
I agree, that's a situation where you vote with your feet and one that you expect to get an apology or some sort of gesture of remorse from management.

8timechamps
7/26/2013, 04:17 PM
Consider always tipping 10 percent, even if service is mediocre:

1- They make less than minimum wage.
2- They may get income taxed on a percentage of the check whether you tip or not.
3- You'll make people happy

Yeah, here's the deal, NO!

I tip appropriate to the service. I don't mean the server must go out of their way to make me feel special, but I do expect a standard level of service. If it's busy, then I understand that the server may be slowed down. In other words, I'm not asking for the best service I've ever had every time I go to a restaurant. Just the "normal" service everyone expects.

What I don't do is tip according to how sorry I feel for the server. If you choose to take the job, then you know what the pay structure looks like. I'm not bound to supplement your income because your employer won't pay you more.

olevetonahill
7/26/2013, 04:37 PM
^this

yermom
7/26/2013, 05:24 PM
i can't remember the last time i didn't tip, but if service was bad, obviously due to the waiter/waitress, i'm not going to tip them just because they get taxed and don't make minimum wage.

do your job, your pay depends on it.

but really, what kind of lobby does the food service industry have to not have to pay minimum wage? must be nice to leave the obligation of paying your employes on optional social conventions

BigTip
7/26/2013, 06:40 PM
but really, what kind of lobby does the food service industry have to not have to pay minimum wage? must be nice to leave the obligation of paying your employes on optional social conventions

Servers make minimum wage. They just aren't PAID the $7.25 federal minimum wage. The employer gets a tip credit to recognize that servers make tips as part of that minimum wage. Servers almost always make more than the the cook, even though most cooks are making way more than the $7.25 federal minimum wage.

Some states have higher minimum wages than federally mandated ones. California for example. I think their minimum paid wage for everyone is $8/hour. That is just crazy for servers in most places.

Jacie
7/26/2013, 11:08 PM

This has more or less been my routine since I was 21. In all of those years, only twice has a waitress managed to actually bring my drink out at the same time as my food order. Twice.

Assuming you are older than 21 and a couple of days, tell me, have you detected a pattern yet?

The food comes from one part of the establishment, the adult drinks from another. Unless you're in the custom of dining alone, your server is carrying multiple plates, probably on a very large tray. You expect the server to carry the tray with the food to the bar, set it down, collect your adult beverage then pick it up and bring it to you with the food? I don't know of any restaurant that has a designated area for servers to set the food trays down next to the bar while they get drinks nor one where they allow the servers to take the drinks into the food prep area. So just how exactly do you expect one to provide this service by which you ultimately rate all dining establishments?

yermom
7/27/2013, 09:08 AM
Servers make minimum wage. They just aren't PAID the $7.25 federal minimum wage. The employer gets a tip credit to recognize that servers make tips as part of that minimum wage. Servers almost always make more than the the cook, even though most cooks are making way more than the $7.25 federal minimum wage.

Some states have higher minimum wages than federally mandated ones. California for example. I think their minimum paid wage for everyone is $8/hour. That is just crazy for servers in most places.

are you disputing what i said, or did you not understand my point?

C&CDean
7/27/2013, 02:40 PM
Assuming you are older than 21 and a couple of days, tell me, have you detected a pattern yet?

The food comes from one part of the establishment, the adult drinks from another. Unless you're in the custom of dining alone, your server is carrying multiple plates, probably on a very large tray. You expect the server to carry the tray with the food to the bar, set it down, collect your adult beverage then pick it up and bring it to you with the food? I don't know of any restaurant that has a designated area for servers to set the food trays down next to the bar while they get drinks nor one where they allow the servers to take the drinks into the food prep area. So just how exactly do you expect one to provide this service by which you ultimately rate all dining establishments?

You must not know sicem.