PDA

View Full Version : Which QB gets the start (POLL)

SoonerKnight
7/23/2013, 04:36 PM
Stoops says he is not ready to say Bell has the job! Says we are making assumptions. So, am I the only one that is making the assumption that Bell is going to get the nod?

picasso
7/23/2013, 04:38 PM
Gotta go with Chris Melson.

SoonerKnight
7/23/2013, 04:39 PM
Ok you were a little too quick on the draw there buddy!!

SouthFortySooner
7/23/2013, 04:41 PM
Stoops also said they wouldn't recruit anyone who couldn't pass. So Blake Bell can pass.

SoonerKnight
7/23/2013, 04:52 PM
That goes unsaid! He was recruited for his passing abillity. It was only out of a brain fart that they decided to throw him into a BellDozer package because they could not get in the endzone. Bell is way TOO big to be left on the bench if not playing QB. Hell we could have used him as a TE and had better luck as well. Of course he would be type cast as a TE just as he has been cast as a runner only. Very strange really. The guy can throw. He can run although not as fast as Thompson and Knight. He is propbably going to suprise everyone with the fact that he can throw as well as he can.

olevetonahill
7/23/2013, 05:34 PM
If Bob dont know I sure as hell dont. I saw good and Bad from all of em at the Spring game.

OUmillenium
7/24/2013, 01:06 AM
They didnt "discover" his running ability until 2 years ago when he was running scout team offense ala Colin Cline in preparation for the upcoming KSU game.

SoonerKnight
7/25/2013, 08:06 PM
Vote!!

olevetonahill
7/25/2013, 08:15 PM
Vote!!

They aint no " No one Knows yet" Option. I dont think its a "System" as such and Like I said If Bob dont know yet How in hell can I?

ashley
7/26/2013, 07:11 PM
They aint no " No one Knows yet" Option. I dont think its a "System" as such and Like I said If Bob dont know yet How in hell can I?

Don't be surprised.

8timechamps
7/26/2013, 07:56 PM
Bob knows.

However, what is the benefit of naming Bell the starter right now? There really isn't any.

The way things are now, he can call it an open competition, which should get the best out of all the QBs on the roster. It's only going to make everyone work that much harder, which isn't a bad thing.

The real question is "how much slack is Stoops going to give Bell"? If he comes in and struggles, when does Stoops go to the bullpen and try another QB? That's a tough situation as a coach, because you start dealing with confidence. Historically, Stoops has been loyal to the named starter (almost to a fault), wonder if we'll see the that if Bell struggles?

SoonerKnight
7/26/2013, 08:25 PM
Bob knows.

However, what is the benefit of naming Bell the starter right now? There really isn't any.

The way things are now, he can call it an open competition, which should get the best out of all the QBs on the roster. It's only going to make everyone work that much harder, which isn't a bad thing.

The real question is "how much slack is Stoops going to give Bell"? If he comes in and struggles, when does Stoops go to the bullpen and try another QB? That's a tough situation as a coach, because you start dealing with confidence. Historically, Stoops has been loyal to the named starter (almost to a fault), wonder if we'll see the that if Bell struggles?

Not sure Bell struggles.

8timechamps
7/26/2013, 08:44 PM
Not sure Bell struggles.

I was going to add a "(not that I think it'll happen)" to the last sentence, but I know there are some folks that think Knight or Thompson are the future. Anyway, I don't think he will struggle much (maybe just some settling in that will happen with any new QB).

olevetonahill
7/26/2013, 09:05 PM
I was going to add a "(not that I think it'll happen)" to the last sentence, but I know there are some folks that think Knight or Thompson are the future. Anyway, I don't think he will struggle much (maybe just some settling in that will happen with any new QB).

While I also think it will be BB still aint gonna name him as yet.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/26/2013, 09:56 PM
I had no idea it wasn't a Blake Bell done deal. I need to start paying attention as posse folk like to say.

I just wish we would find a real defensive stud.

SoonerKnight
7/28/2013, 01:50 AM

While I also think it will be BB still aint gonna name him as yet.

Well I did not ask ya to name him! Just give your opinion. LOL!! :p

olevetonahill
7/28/2013, 08:55 AM

Ok, I voted BB , Happy? :friendly_wink:

Tulsa_Fireman
7/28/2013, 09:59 AM
I believe Josh Hibbel will get the start, sir. With Calvin Simpson as his back-up.

olevetonahill
7/28/2013, 10:07 AM
I believe Josh Hibbel will get the start, sir. With Calvin Simpson as his back-up.

Heh.

En_Fuego
7/28/2013, 02:53 PM
I think Bell will start but Thompson will finish. I hope he can work some Mojo like his Dad. On the field ... Not off....

thecrimsoncrusader
7/28/2013, 03:25 PM
I think Blake Bell will start the season and will finish the season and break Collin Klein's NCAA record for rushing TDs by a QB in a single season, which is 27. Additionally, Bell will break the NCAA record for most injuries caused by a QB in a single season, which will also be the career record as well. I have very low expectations for Bell.

SoonerKnight
7/29/2013, 02:59 AM

Ok, I voted BB , Happy? :friendly_wink:

Yep. :D

swardboy
7/29/2013, 08:52 AM
In our opening game of 2005, we got beat by TCU (shudder). Paul Thompson had won the starting QB job over Rhatt Bomar. Stoops wasn't shy to put Bomar in, and he promptly fumbled, ending his great chance to take over the position. It's the only thing I can recall that demonstrates Stoops willingness to establish a QB based on game performance vs. practice performance.

When Bradford got the starting assignment over Halzle, he completed 23 out of 25 passes, pretty much sealing the deal. I really thought Halzle would win the job, but history shows how dumb I was/am.

Maybe the most important question for now is: Who gets the back-up assignment should Bell stumble badly out of the gate. I don't think he will, but who knows?

8timechamps
7/29/2013, 03:14 PM
In our opening game of 2005, we got beat by TCU (shudder). Paul Thompson had won the starting QB job over Rhatt Bomar. Stoops wasn't shy to put Bomar in, and he promptly fumbled, ending his great chance to take over the position. It's the only thing I can recall that demonstrates Stoops willingness to establish a QB based on game performance vs. practice performance.

When Bradford got the starting assignment over Halzle, he completed 23 out of 25 passes, pretty much sealing the deal. I really thought Halzle would win the job, but history shows how dumb I was/am.

Maybe the most important question for now is: Who gets the back-up assignment should Bell stumble badly out of the gate. I don't think he will, but who knows?

I've thought about that, and I bet ya Stoops names "co-back-up's" at the position. The only real downside to have a roster full of good QBs is keeping them all in the heard. Next year, OU will have 4 solid QBs on the roster, and it's possible one of the incoming guys could unseat whoever the starter is this season...it's going to be hard for Heupel and Stoops to keep them all happy.

KantoSooner
7/29/2013, 03:35 PM
so far as records are concerned, I think Bell has an excellent chance of breaking Cam Newton's 'LBs Trucked During Regular Season' record.