PDA

View Full Version : Hey Dean-What do you think about this?

okie52
7/23/2013, 11:59 AM
GOP's Issa, US Postal Service Plan End to Home Delivery

Tuesday, 23 Jul 2013 11:03 AM

By Melanie Batley
Mail delivery to the doorstep may be a thing of the past as lawmakers consider ways to cut costs to save the cash-strapped U.S. Postal Service, which lost $16 billion in 2012.

According to CNN Money, the agency is working toward a more "centralized delivery" approach in which residents pick up their mail from a mailbox at the curb or at clusters of mailboxes within their neighborhoods.

The practice already is being adopted for new houses and developments, and some House Republicans want it rolled out universally.

"A balanced approach to saving the Postal Service means allowing USPS to adapt to America's changing use of mail," said Rep. Darrell Issa, the California Republican leading the House effort to save the Postal Service.

Doing away with doorstep delivery has become a central part of Issa's proposal to save money. Ending door-to-door deliveries would save $4.5 billion a year from the $30 billion the mail service currently spends on delivery.

How? Right now, 35 million residences and businesses get mail delivered to their doorstep. CNN reports that it costs $353 per stop for a delivery in most American cities, taking into account such things as salaries and cost of transport.

Curbside-mailbox delivery costs $224, and cluster boxes cost $160, according to a report from the Postal Service Office of Inspector General cited by CNN.

In addition to the $16 billion lost by the agency last year, it twice defaulted on payments owed to the federal government to prefund retiree healthcare benefits totaling $11 billion. The agency also has exhausted a $15 billion line of credit from the U.S. Treasury.

Nevertheless, the plan has received criticism from unions, which say it would be disruptive for the elderly and disabled, and from otehrs who claim it would be inconvenient and possibly unsafe.

"It's madness," Jim Sauber, chief of staff for the National Association of Letter Carriers, told CNN. "The idea that somebody is going to walk down to their mailbox in Buffalo, N.Y., in the winter snow to get their mail is just crazy."

Others, such as industry groups, support the idea as an alternative to the proposal of cutting Saturday service, which the service floated earlier this year before reversing the decision.

Editor's Note: Should ObamaCare Be Repealed? Vote in Urgent National Poll

The Postal Service also continues to struggle with mail volume, especially drops in first-class mail, its big revenue driver, as more Americans move to electronic bill-pay and e-mail. To many critics, the service has become little more than a junk-mail delivery service.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/issa-postal-service-ending/2013/07/23/id/516516#ixzz2ZtA0a4gq

olevetonahill
7/23/2013, 12:04 PM
Personally I'd Like to see em stop the Sat, Delieveries all together, Home delivery could be scaled back to 3 times a week with Free P/U at the Post Office the other days.

I get My Mail at a PO Box. and usually only check it once or twice a week anyway. Hell I know when Bills are due and whats important is being mailed. I dont need or want a 6 day deal.

Bourbon St Sooner
7/23/2013, 12:11 PM
In my mom's neighborhood out in the Phoenix area, they have mail boxes clustered at the end of the street. It's not that big of a burden to walk to the end of the street and pick up the mail. A lot of folks could use the exercise anyways.

Lott's Bandana
7/23/2013, 12:32 PM
"It's madness," Jim Sauber, chief of staff for the National Association of Letter Carriers, told CNN. "The idea that somebody is going to walk down to their mailbox in Buffalo, N.Y., in the winter snow to get their mail is just crazy."

Right.

So let's keep having the postal worker be the crazy one.

rock on sooner
7/23/2013, 01:06 PM
I must be missing something...$224 to deliver to my curbside mailbox?
Is that for a day, a week, a month or a year? Yup, agree with Vet about
the Saturday delivery...some complain about getting important stuff on
a Saturday...quite certain that businesses would figure out how to handle
5 days a week delivery....

C&CDean
7/23/2013, 01:08 PM
The unions will eventually kill the USPS and America, and the left-wing dillweeds slurp up their spew like it's nectar. ****ing Meh.

yermom
7/23/2013, 01:23 PM
the unions that negotiated for your sweet pension you collect?

i'm assuming that $353 is for a year

who really needs daily delivery of their junk mail anyway?

KantoSooner
7/23/2013, 01:25 PM
I've always loved the concept of public worker unions. Such unions are protecting their members against the greedy depredations of who, exactly?

Fraggle145
7/23/2013, 02:03 PM
How often do you actually get something useful in the mail? All of my bills are paperless. So I get something I want to look at on holidays. The only thing I actually get other than that in the mail is Netflix DVDs. But even those are once a week tops.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/23/2013, 02:29 PM

Don't know in Dean's case, but not all pensions and not all government pensions are negotiated by unions.

C&CDean
7/23/2013, 02:39 PM

i'm assuming that $353 is for a year

who really needs daily delivery of their junk mail anyway?

I was management holmes. I was the anti-union. I worked for my salary/pension while the union was busy ****ing their own members in the A-hole. My retirement/salary compared to a union goon's is quite attractive.

I still mail all my utility bills, house payment, etc. I order a lot of **** from Amazon too and a lot of it comes USPS. I'd be alright with 3 days a week.

Also, what y'all whine about and call "junk mail" is actually BBM (Bulk Business Mail). If it didn't pay off for the people who generate it they wouldn't keep mailing the ****. When I get my daily dose of BBM, I smile and go "cha-ching" as I toss it into the burn trash. Mail early, mail often.

olevetonahill
7/23/2013, 02:43 PM
I was management holmes. I was the anti-union. I worked for my salary/pension while the union was busy ****ing their own members in the A-hole. My retirement/salary compared to a union goon's is quite attractive.

I still mail all my utility bills, house payment, etc. I order a lot of **** from Amazon too and a lot of it comes USPS. I'd be alright with 3 days a week.

Also, what y'all whine about and call "junk mail" is actually BBM (Bulk Business Mail). If it didn't pay off for the people who generate it they wouldn't keep mailing the ****. When I get my daily dose of BBM, I smile and go "cha-ching" as I toss it into the burn trash. Mail early, mail often.

Heh, I still Mail junk back in those Postage paid envelopes.

Lott's Bandana
7/23/2013, 02:47 PM

Exactly how I feel about SPAM.

Mouthbreathers...

C&CDean
7/23/2013, 03:29 PM
I don't know, I'm kinda fond of some fried SPAM with melted cheddar on rye bread with mustard.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/23/2013, 03:32 PM
dee...scusting

Lott's Bandana
7/23/2013, 03:37 PM
I don't know, I'm kinda fond of some fried SPAM with melted cheddar on rye bread with mustard.

That ain't kosher Mr Rothstein!

<insert smiley here>

KantoSooner
7/23/2013, 04:20 PM
You make the unfounded assumption that SPAM is meat....

TAFBSooner
7/23/2013, 05:14 PM
Heh, I still Mail junk back in those Postage paid envelopes.

Capital One is fighting back against people like you (and me!!) - they put what looks like a unique ID on the back of the envelope, either so they can track back to people who mail them their own spew back, or so they can scare the rubes into NOT doing that by making us think they can and will track us down.

I don't think there's enough digits in their code to actually be unique, but it's been enough to deter me. Next time I get one, I'll post it here and see if everybody gets the same code. I love me a good arms race.

Dean, how much does your former employer get for business reply mail?

olevetonahill
7/23/2013, 05:22 PM
Capital One is fighting back against people like you (and me!!) - they put what looks like a unique ID on the back of the envelope, either so they can track back to people who mail them their own spew back, or so they can scare the rubes into NOT doing that by making us think they can and will track us down.

I don't think there's enough digits in their code to actually be unique, but it's been enough to deter me. Next time I get one, I'll post it here and see if everybody gets the same code. I love me a good arms race.

Dean, how much does your former employer get for business reply mail?

Hell I dont care if they know its Me or not. alot of times I just take what ever they sent ME and stuff it right back in the PP envelope . It has My Name an Addy on it .

What the hell they gonna do ?

jk the sooner fan
7/23/2013, 05:47 PM
unions for government employees.......absurd

Breadburner
7/23/2013, 06:15 PM
dee...scusting

Sounded perfect fer yer anus....!!!:friendly_wink:

okie52
7/23/2013, 09:11 PM
I'd like the postal services to be in the black...if that means curbside delivery and no Saturday delivery im fine with that.

jkjsooner
7/24/2013, 09:02 AM

I think the Amazon type stuff could/should be delivered five days a week since it's only a small subset of houses and UPS and FedEx do it. Plus, I imagine they make their money from these.

Dean, correct me if I'm wrong but one of the issues with the postal service is their mandate to deliver letters, etc. I doubt there's a bang for the buck for those which is why the others don't do it.

TAFBSooner
7/24/2013, 11:28 AM
Hell I dont care if they know its Me or not. alot of times I just take what ever they sent ME and stuff it right back in the PP envelope . It has My Name an Addy on it .

What the hell they gonna do ?

Prolly nothing. But that question is enough to keep most peeps from sending the personalized stuff back, even if they do want to subsidize Dean's retirement.

olevetonahill
7/24/2013, 11:33 AM
Prolly nothing. But that question is enough to keep most peeps from sending the personalized stuff back, even if they do want to subsidize Dean's retirement.

Dont bother me a bit, Im still wondering what they did with that Old toaster i mailed em.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/24/2013, 01:32 PM
unions for government employees.......absurd

Yes it is!

Tulsa_Fireman
7/24/2013, 06:04 PM
Why?

We well understand what some unions have evolved into, but why should the basic premise of government employee unions be such anathema?

Is this where we make the "FDR didn't even want it!" argument? When do we get to the peaceable assemblage argument?

Isn't the problem NOT unions, but what unions have become in some cases?

jk the sooner fan
7/24/2013, 06:15 PM
Why?

We well understand what some unions have evolved into, but why should the basic premise of government employee unions be such anathema?

Is this where we make the "FDR didn't even want it!" argument? When do we get to the peaceable assemblage argument?

i can only tell you that we are public servants - we dont work (generally speaking) in dangerous coal mines or manufacturing plants....we work on the taxpayer's dime

as a federal employee - my experience with unions has been that they go to great lengths to defend the indefensible - they go to great lengths to purposely be a pain in the *** for management.......for the pure sport of it and for no other reason

all across america -working stiffs all realize they have a boss........we dont all like our bosses -but we know we have one. but the unions empower their employees in ways that would NEVER fly in the civil sector

they are counter productive to any sort of efficiency

the following is the best illustration i can give you of how unions affect production

5 employees are told to go out into a field - all with the same kind of shovel - and are instructed "dig as many holes as you can in 1 hour"

Joe comes back as the superstar and dug 25 holes
Betty surprisingly was able to scrape out 18
Phil was able to dig 20
Bart only dug 15
and then bringing up the rear - Leonard dug 10

10 is now your work standard.....the weakest link.......and we wonder why the hell our government works the way it does

i have seen countless examples of this.....i have seen employees who want to go the extra mile "reigned in" -or chided for being "anti-brother" - or "bucking for management"

i could go on and on and on and on.......

no sir, the problem IS the union - they have outlived their original purpose

olevetonahill
7/24/2013, 06:37 PM
And once again JK and I agree, we dont always but fairly often.
Im reminded of the time I was a Teamster on a Pipe line Job, I drove a dump truck to a river crossing to be loaded with Scrap/trash whatever.

The Spreadman called me over and we were talking the Labor Hands had finished loading the one pile and were standing around with their thumbs up their butts,waiting for me to pull up to the next pile. One young lad got tired of standing around and Jumped up in the truck to pull it up. Holly hell you would have thot the Boy shot the Prez. er sompun .

The Labor Union Steward AND the Teamster Steward Crawled all over that Boy and for Taking Initiative. Got him him ran off.
**** Unions.

jk the sooner fan
7/24/2013, 07:07 PM
exactly

i've also seen countless examples where **** poor employees use the union to shield their conduct/performance -and stay on a job for years - milking a salary and eventually a pension

and they do it with union help

i spent 3 years with the FAA - the Air Traffic Controllers union RUNS the FAA....management is so shackled by their antics - it's ridiculous.....they're the biggest group of overpaid immature babies i've ever seen in a professional workforce

and these are the guys and gals that keep the dots from colliding while you sip on your cup of soda and eat your bag of peanuts - enjoying your flight

8timechamps
7/24/2013, 07:33 PM
Why?

I say yes, that's the problem. But, how do you keep any union from becoming one of those unions? After all, they all started off trying to do right by the employee.

olevetonahill
7/24/2013, 07:47 PM
I say yes, that's the problem. But, how do you keep any union from becoming one of those unions? After all, they all started off trying to do right by the employee.

Disagree Bro. some of em started off , Making the Employee THINK they trying to do right by em. when in Fact they were Mob Run.

rock on sooner
7/24/2013, 08:15 PM
In a thread, long, long ago, I gave my story about dealing with a union
warehouse and how it obstructed mngment prep for a big sale the next
day (warehouse sale in Kansas City Macy's). Got blocked at 3:55 to get
set and had to work til 3:00 A.M. the next morning to be ready, all just
because uncrating merch to set up was done by other than union. Ima
with Vet, unions can go to hell and have CERTAINLY outlived their use!!!

BTW, union stewards can be bribed...1/5 of Jack Black werks!!!!

C&CDean
7/25/2013, 11:16 AM
First, the USPS is quasi-government. Primary revenue comes from stamp sales, not tax dollars.

Second, they actually have 4 unions; who spend most of their time fighting each other for who gets what work.

Third, there was a time and a place for unions. That time and place are long gone. Even back when there were sweat shops and no benefits for workers, the union jacks couldn't give a flying **** about the workers. It was ALL organized crime running the show and we all know they're in it for the $$.

Fourth, there's nothing any company that sends you reply mail can do about it if you send the **** back.

Fifth, and I've said it many times, labor unions will either crumble away, or they'll destroy America. I'm pulling for the crumble away. In general terms, labor unions are pinko. Everybody gets paid the same, everybody gets the same paltry raises, and everybody pays up to the goons running the show. That ain't America.

8timechamps
7/26/2013, 07:47 PM
Disagree Bro. some of em started off , Making the Employee THINK they trying to do right by em. when in Fact they were Mob Run.

I was referring to the origin of the union. I'm not well versed on the history of the union, but I would think the original intent was to take care of the employee. But, yeah, there is the whole mob issue.