PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from BSA National Jamboree

diverdog
7/19/2013, 05:40 PM
I just finished working ten days at the Bechtel Summit the site of the national Boy Scout of America Jamboree. To say I was impressed is a gross understatement. The size and scope of this site is beyond anything I imagined. Currently it is the largest privately funded project east of the Mississippi River. The cost will go well past a half billion dollars and they are several years from completing it. There is worry that this project could financially ruin the BSA. Cost have exceeded all estimates and funding has not kept pace.

To give you an idea of the scope of this camp I will name some things I saw. They have a lake dedicated to dragon boat races, six miles of zip lines, the second largest skate board park in the world, a world class BMX park, a world class mountain bike trail system designed by professional mountain bikers, scuba diving center, a world class rock climbing center, white water rafting, COPE course, an aquatics obstacle course, fishing lakes, NRA designed shooting ranges and much more. The entire 10000 acre facility is wifi and 3 G. At&t said it is one of he most advanced projects they have ever done. We had 9000 volunteers show up and it was not enough. 40,000 scouts are there now.

The Bechtel Summit is a roll of the dice for the BSA. They want to create a facility that builds character and future leaders. I hope they are successful. I will post pics shortly.

HYxxSXmYGdo

olevetonahill
7/19/2013, 05:56 PM
I wish em well.

Jammin'
7/19/2013, 06:04 PM
Sounds awesome. Ill make sure my boys go into scouts so I can go play there.

SicEmBaylor
7/19/2013, 06:11 PM
Just got back from BSA National Jamboree
I'm sorry.

olevetonahill
7/19/2013, 06:13 PM
I'm sorry.

yea No way is that as cool as Playin Kraut dress up and shooting paint balls at each other.

pphilfran
7/19/2013, 08:28 PM
I'm sorry.

Screw ya... :)

Scouting was good to me...

Lot's of camping...Philmont twice...rappelling (even got to rappel out of a Ft Sill helo)

That **** DD did would be great fun....

SicEmBaylor
7/19/2013, 08:34 PM
yea No way is that as cool as Playin Kraut dress up and shooting paint balls at each other.
It's absolutely not. And nobody dresses up on our side. ;)

olevetonahill
7/19/2013, 08:49 PM
It's absolutely not. And nobody dresses up on our side. ;)

So Yall fer realz Krauts? Then Ima sign up next year and Use real bullets and ****.

Blue
7/19/2013, 08:52 PM
No fatties allowed

diverdog
7/19/2013, 11:45 PM
No fatties allowed

Because the new camp is in the mountains BMI was closely watched so no ones health was in danger. On average I walked 10-12 miles per day in the hills of West Virginia. My work area was 4 miles from camp but a three hour hike each way. There were a lot of people on staff who quit because they could not handle the basic activity of walking to their program area.

What pissed me off about that cartoon and articles is that they did not take the same swing at sports or a good chunk of corporate America. The Summit is a High Adventure base no different than Philmont. You need to be in shape to attend just like you need to be in shape to play a sport. The cut off was a BMI of 40!

BTW everyone was warned two years out to get in shape if they wanted to go.

diverdog
7/19/2013, 11:48 PM
Screw ya... :)

Scouting was good to me...

Lot's of camping...Philmont twice...rappelling (even got to rappel out of a Ft Sill helo)

That **** DD did would be great fun....

i did not get to go rafting. On my scheduled day the river was 14 feet above flood stage and very dangerous. The COPE course was fun.

BigTip
7/20/2013, 01:36 PM
Cool video.
Maybe the gamble is to build something so cool that kids will want to join the BSA just so they can go to the facility. Good plan. I know I would want to.

SicEmBaylor
7/20/2013, 03:35 PM
i did not get to go rafting. On my scheduled day the river was 14 feet above flood stage and very dangerous. The COPE course was fun.

The rafting in the Fayetteville, WV general area is phenomenal.

Soonerjeepman
7/20/2013, 03:41 PM
does sound nice, unfortunately we are out now, Caleb Eagled and will be 18 here in a few weeks.

I also am curious about the gay issue and how it effects BSA. Heard on talk radio about a "new" scout group forming, along Christian values when dealing with sexual orientation..yes that means straight...thought they said that basically doesn't allow sexual discussion at anytime, so probably a "don't ask don't tell". The spokesperson has said that they have interest from over 200K folks. Similar as far as rank, different organizations (Order of the Arrow) etc. You will be able to "transfer" your rank, etc to this new group. Every troop will have to be sponsored by a Christian church, no other type of sponsor.

SicEmBaylor
7/20/2013, 03:47 PM
Do you people still do archery contests? I won an archery contest once at a Boy Scout jamboree thing once....only time I had ever picked up a bow and won the damned thing (beginner's luck). However, this last Christmas I got a nice little recurve bow that I've just had a blast shooting.

diverdog
7/21/2013, 05:53 AM
does sound nice, unfortunately we are out now, Caleb Eagled and will be 18 here in a few weeks.

I also am curious about the gay issue and how it effects BSA. Heard on talk radio about a "new" scout group forming, along Christian values when dealing with sexual orientation..yes that means straight...thought they said that basically doesn't allow sexual discussion at anytime, so probably a "don't ask don't tell". The spokesperson has said that they have interest from over 200K folks. Similar as far as rank, different organizations (Order of the Arrow) etc. You will be able to "transfer" your rank, etc to this new group. Every troop will have to be sponsored by a Christian church, no other type of sponsor.

I think they will fail. Primarily they will not have the resources to recreate all the experiences that you can get in modern scouting. Just think of the billions of dollars of land holdings the scouts have in their camps. Just in little ole delaware I bet is over $100 million. Then there is the national organization and its marketing, outreach and support. To recreate scouting would be tough.

What the folks in this movement don't get is that younger Americans are becoming more and more accepting of the gay lifestyle. In 25 years no one will care. Rightly or wrongly that is the direction the nation is moving and our kids need to learn how to deal with it.

hawaii 5-0
7/21/2013, 01:53 PM
I never go to go to a Jamboree. Woulda been fun.

We camped the 3rd weekend of every month regardless of the weather.

Scouting taught me an appreciation for the outdoors and made me a true conservative when it comes to protecting our environment.

5-0

TheHumanAlphabet
7/22/2013, 10:41 AM
Way to go Diver!! Scouts were some of the best memories I have as a kid. Learned Leadership and fortitude with them. Help me on the way to a Ph.D.

olevetonahill
7/22/2013, 11:25 AM
Way to go Diver!! Scouts were some of the best memories I have as a kid. Learned Leadership and fortitude with them. Help me on the way to a Ph.D.

Yea It was Great for me also. Thats where I learned to eat brownies.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/22/2013, 03:14 PM
Yea It was Great for me also. Thats where I learned to eat brownies.

I learned about snipe hunting and bears in the woods... (An large empty food can, some baler's twine and some soap can make an effect bear growl.) ;)