PDA

View Full Version : Media Big 12 preseason poll: OSU 1st, OU 2nd

badger
7/18/2013, 10:25 AM
Pretty crazy (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/OSU_picked_to_win_Big_12_OU_second/20130718_93_0_Forthe758703?subj=298)

2013 Big 12 Football Media Preseason Poll
(first-place votes in parentheses)

1. Oklahoma State (15) 365 votes

2. Oklahoma (8) 355 votes

3. TCU (9) 347 votes

4. Texas (8) 337 votes

5. Baylor (2) 282 votes

6. K-State (1) 240 votes

7. Texas Tech 161 votes

8. West Virginia 126 votes

9. Iowa State 96 votes

10. Kansas 56 votes

6 teams got first place votes and two bowl teams are near the bottom. Wow

starclassic tama
7/18/2013, 10:41 AM
pretty much exactly what i expected... this is the most wide open year that i can remember for sure

badger
7/18/2013, 10:51 AM
I wonder if this is how Nebraska fans felt in the late 90s/early aughts. "Well sh!t, looks like we're not the unquestioned Big 12 power anymore."

:( come home nebraska

Widescreen
7/18/2013, 11:15 AM
KSU got a first place vote? Must be someone from the "you're the champion until you're dethroned" camp.

badger
7/18/2013, 11:52 AM
KSU got a first place vote? Must be someone from the "you're the champion until you're dethroned" camp.

They got one last year too. If they didn't get Baylor'd they would have been in Bammer's championship game spot

CowboyMRW
7/18/2013, 12:03 PM
http://fitnessxchange.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/beast-mode-baseball.jpg

badger
7/18/2013, 12:07 PM
Aaaaand... DE-activate:
9yEx-FxIPys

thecrimsoncrusader
7/18/2013, 12:55 PM
51 national championships in golf and wrestling, which are not even team sports. That's like being voted for having the best looking rectum.

CowboyMRW
7/18/2013, 02:40 PM
51 national championships in golf and wrestling, which are not even team sports. That's like being voted for having the best looking rectum.

Don't forget basketball and XC.

Also, add another one Badg.

badger
7/18/2013, 02:48 PM
Don't forget basketball and XC.

Also, add another one Badg.

It's your sig --- you can modify it however you want. :)

Just like you can boo your highlight reel if you Pokes want:
sKlmIAwuVjU

JLEW1818
7/18/2013, 03:46 PM
i see a bunch of 6-3 teams in conference play

picasso
7/18/2013, 06:47 PM
t-shirts!!!!!

OU_Sooners75
7/18/2013, 07:40 PM
To whomever says wrestling is not a team sport... Want to bet?

How do you think "teams like OSU win "team" trophies in wrestling?

Yes, it isn't a team sport in that the entire team isn't on the mat. But you don't see an entire football team on te field at the same time either.

Individuals wrestling contribute to the team score by winning matches.

thecrimsoncrusader
7/18/2013, 07:56 PM

Yes, it isn't a team sport in that the entire team isn't on the mat. But you don't see an entire football team on te field at the same time either.

It's an athletic competition in a one on one match where points are awarded to the respective "team". Regardless, it's still an individual effort. There's a big difference between 11 players on the grid-iron and one player on the mat. A big difference. I know how wrestling works, I wrestled in high school and I felt it was an athletic competition then and it still is now.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/18/2013, 08:28 PM
It's an athletic competition in a one on one match where points are awarded to the respective "team". Regardless, it's still an individual effort. There's a big difference between 11 players on the grid-iron and one player on the mat. A big difference. I know how wrestling works, I wrestled in high school and I felt it was an athletic competition then and it still is now.We used to be good in wrestling, from the Port Robertson days(1950's) up til the mid 80's. We were great in the 1960's(coach Tommy Evans) when I was at OU. XClnt sport to watch if you have a top notch team.

8timechamps
7/18/2013, 08:59 PM
Interesting to see where Texas was ranked, given all the hype ESPN has been spewing. I still think that's too high for them.

OU_Sooners75
7/18/2013, 10:40 PM

It's an athletic competition in a one on one match where points are awarded to the respective "team". Regardless, it's still an individual effort. There's a big difference between 11 players on the grid-iron and one player on the mat. A big difference. I know how wrestling works, I wrestled in high school and I felt it was an athletic competition then and it still is now.

I coach both sports. And yes the team titles in wrestling mean as much a football championship does.

Stop trying to discredit a sport you obviously know very little about.

SoonerStormchaser
7/19/2013, 03:45 AM
Someone actually voted Baylor first?

olevetonahill
7/19/2013, 05:45 AM
I coach both sports. And yes the team titles in wrestling mean as much a football championship does.

heh, watching a Bunch of Fat 1/2 neked sweaty dudes groping each other aint SPORT its Ghey Pron.:lemo:

CincySooner
7/19/2013, 07:35 AM

This guy has it right.

I was never a wrestler, but I do participate in a sport where you are a member of a "team" but compete in a one-on-one format. So, also consider that you practice as a team.

MI Sooner
7/19/2013, 07:56 AM

While I would never say college (or HS) golfers and wrestlers don't compete in a team sport, my experience is that team success meant less in those types of sports (swimming or track and field) than it did in baseball, football, basketball, etc.

My friend on the OU track team claimed that the members of college T&F teams, especially those that competed at an elite level, didn't care much about team results and cared much more about their individual performance.

thecrimsoncrusader
7/19/2013, 08:42 AM
This guy has it right.

I was never a wrestler, but I do participate in a sport where you are a member of a "team" but compete in a one-on-one format. So, also consider that you practice as a team.

In your opinion of course.

Widescreen
7/19/2013, 09:27 AM
I understand how you can technically call a group of wrestlers or tennis players a "team" in the sense that you aggregate their scores. However, the team aspect is pretty artificial and I just can't equate that with a conventional team where multiple people are working together at the same time to accomplish a goal.

jkjsooner
7/19/2013, 09:39 AM

Sorry, ain't a team sport. Yes, they give team championships but golf and singles tennis also have team championships as well.

The competitions itself is entirely individual. You do not cooperate with your teammates while on the mat. You do not anticipate your teammates moves. You do not directly feed off each teammates strengths and weaknesses.

jkjsooner
7/19/2013, 09:43 AM

To the players and coaches? Yes. To the universities, media, and the majority of fans? Not a chance. Don't pretend a wrestling championship has as much prestige as football or basketball.

I can promise you if the OSU AD had a secret meeting with God and he could choose to have a football championship next year or five wrestling championships he would choose a football champion. He knows what that means to his school and athletic department.

champions77
7/19/2013, 10:50 AM
Wow, so the pukes lose five games in 2012 and are picked to win the BIG XII n 2013? I wonder if that has ever been the case before? With losing Joseph Randall, a QB that could have possibly started this year, three o-lineman, and having new offensive and defensive coordinators, that is a lot to deal with.

OSU very may win the BIG XII this year, but I think it has more to do with how weak the BIG XII is rather than how strong osu is. I believe Athlons has no BIG XII teams in the TOP 15.

PrideMom
7/19/2013, 11:16 AM
I can't think of a better motivation for OU than seeing OSU ranked above them. I doubt that it will last long. I have re-watched some of 2012 OU's games, and I kept asking myself where did the defense go after the Texas game? In that game the defense was FLYING!

thecrimsoncrusader
7/19/2013, 02:11 PM
Wow, so the pukes lose five games in 2012 and are picked to win the BIG XII n 2013? I wonder if that has ever been the case before? With losing Joseph Randall, a QB that could have possibly started this year, three o-lineman, and having new offensive and defensive coordinators, that is a lot to deal with.

OSU very may win the BIG XII this year, but I think it has more to do with how weak the BIG XII is rather than how strong osu is. I believe Athlons has no BIG XII teams in the TOP 15.

You're correct on most accounts, but OSU does reload on the offensive line. Wickline is the best coach on that staff period. I think most publications are leaning towards OSU because of their schedule. If the OU/OSU game was in Norman, they would probably be picking OU instead.

picasso
7/19/2013, 02:49 PM
If Blake Bell had a year of starting under his belt OU would be getting the nod.
OSU has two proven guys. That's about it.
The whole league is down this year.

Salt City Sooner
7/19/2013, 07:53 PM
You're correct on most accounts, but OSU does reload on the offensive line. Wickline is the best coach on that staff period. I think most publications are leaning towards OSU because of their schedule. If the OU/OSU game was in Norman, they would probably be picking OU instead.
I think you're on the right track, but to expand the point a bit, I think the overall schedule played a none too minor part w/ the voters. OSU gets OU, TCU, KSU, & Baylor all in Stilly this year. Hands down at this point, their toughest roadie looks to be @ UT, unless Kingsbury can hit the ground running in Lubbock.

OU_Sooners75
7/19/2013, 07:53 PM

While I would never say college (or HS) golfers and wrestlers don't compete in a team sport, my experience is that team success meant less in those types of sports (swimming or track and field) than it did in baseball, football, basketball, etc.

My friend on the OU track team claimed that the members of college T&F teams, especially those that competed at an elite level, didn't care much about team results and cared much more about their individual performance.

The track athletes I know feel the same way.

However, in wrestling, the individual does care about the team results.

A lot of that stems from the face that in wrestling a team usually has a lot more team dual matches than individual tournaments. Track you don't have that.

8timechamps
7/19/2013, 07:56 PM
If Blake Bell had a year of starting under his belt OU would be getting the nod.
OSU has two proven guys. That's about it.
The whole league is down this year.

Or, if OU had someone proven along the front 7. With no big name on the defensive front, and an unproven QB, I'm surprised they voted OU as high as they did.

Of course, I still think the Sooners win the conference title.

olevetonahill
7/19/2013, 08:18 PM
Or, if OU had someone proven along the front 7. With no big name on the defensive front, and an unproven QB, I'm surprised they voted OU as high as they did.

Of course, I still think the Sooners win the conference title.

Im still wantin to Bet that CowboyMR again . Give him a chance to win his 100 back.

8timechamps
7/19/2013, 08:25 PM
Im still wantin to Bet that CowboyMR again . Give him a chance to win his 100 back.

Maybe he'll wonder back around before the season starts :)

olevetonahill
7/19/2013, 08:34 PM
Maybe he'll wonder back around before the season starts :)

If his wife will let him LOL

Wishboned
7/19/2013, 09:53 PM
They're rioting in Stillwater over the predictions.

It's like a million sheep cried out all at once, and then were silenced...

CowboyMRW
7/20/2013, 10:48 AM

Same bet as last year? OSU finishes higher in the Big 12 than OU?

Scott D
7/20/2013, 04:25 PM
Good, I hope this team feels disrespected by the media. Play with a chip on their shoulder and exceed those expectations.

dignon003
7/20/2013, 04:46 PM

Athlons - OSU # 14

Randle was a good back. OSU was very deep at that position and Jeremy Smith will be the starter, he has the highest YPC of anyone at OSU not named Sanders. A returning starter at QB, A very good group of receivers. It helps big time that Tracy Moore is back. Josh Stewart is a special player. OSU's next bad offensive line will be it's first under Joe Wickline. Gundy has shown that he will hire a good OC. I'm interested in what changes Glenn Spencer will make as DC. But he has some talent on that side of the ball, and immediately made some position switches in the spring. Should be a good year.

olevetonahill
7/20/2013, 05:33 PM
Same bet as last year? OSU finishes higher in the Big 12 than OU?

Yup, Ya in?

CowboyMRW
7/20/2013, 07:44 PM
For sure.

olevetonahill
7/20/2013, 09:05 PM
For sure.

Cool

Mazeppa
7/20/2013, 11:08 PM
If the OU/OSU game was in Norman, they would probably be picking OU instead.

Why should this sway any votes to osu? This game has been played in stillwater 49 times (since the beginning of the world) and osu has won 7 times ( 3 times since 1967). SEVEN times, out of 49 years, why do people think OU would have a tough time winning there when they have done so 37 times out of those 49 years?

OU_Sooners75
7/21/2013, 08:38 AM

To the players and coaches? Yes. To the universities, media, and the majority of fans? Not a chance. Don't pretend a wrestling championship has as much prestige as football or basketball.

I can promise you if the OSU AD had a secret meeting with God and he could choose to have a football championship next year or five wrestling championships he would choose a football champion. He knows what that means to his school and athletic department.

You're a ****ing idiot.

No one said that a wrestling championship was as prestigious. Learn to ****ing read moron!

Widescreen
7/21/2013, 09:26 AM
You could certainly interpret what you said in that quote as saying they had the same prestige. Wrestling titles "mean as much" as football championships.

olevetonahill
7/21/2013, 11:22 AM
You could certainly interpret what you said in that quote as saying they had the same prestige. Wrestling titles "mean as much" as football championships.

Sides I still say Rasslin is Ghey :friendly_wink:

OU_Sooners75
7/21/2013, 06:17 PM

Sides I still say Rasslin is Ghey :friendly_wink:

:mad:

Wrestling is one if the most demanding sports.

SoonerorLater
7/21/2013, 06:29 PM
Why should this sway any votes to osu? This game has been played in stillwater 49 times (since the beginning of the world) and osu has won 7 times ( 3 times since 1967). SEVEN times, out of 49 years, why do people think OU would have a tough time winning there when they have done so 37 times out of those 49 years?

I would have to guess because the vast majority of those times OU has walked onto Lewis field with indisputably superior talent. This year it's not quite as clear.

olevetonahill
7/21/2013, 09:59 PM
:mad:

Wrestling is one if the most demanding sports.

Still Ghey :dog:

Breadburner
7/21/2013, 10:02 PM
No doubt vet....They put their fingers up each others butts.....!!

Piware
7/21/2013, 11:34 PM
Well congrats to the Pukes! They had better adjust their Rodney Dangerfield "we get no respect" mindset to the Holy Smoke, Everyone Wants to Knock Our Lights Out. Hee Hee. Easier to get on top than stay there.

Jacie
7/22/2013, 06:04 AM
Well congrats to the Pukes! They had better adjust their Rodney Dangerfield "we get no respect" mindset to the Holy Smoke, Everyone Wants to Knock Our Lights Out. Hee Hee. Easier to get on top than stay there.

Sheep would have a different opinion.

thecrimsoncrusader
7/22/2013, 06:43 AM

I guess you haven't noticed that OSU doesn't suck quite as much as they used to? And while OU has won there a lot, the games haven't exactly always been easy on the scoreboard.

CincySooner
7/22/2013, 07:29 AM
In your opinion of course.

All I know is that no one on our team would have the kind of success that they have without the other people on their team working thier kiesters off every day in practice.

stoopified
7/22/2013, 11:30 AM
heh, watching a Bunch of Fat 1/2 neked sweaty dudes groping each other aint SPORT its Ghey Pron.:lemo:Greco-roman sweaty ball grabbin'. :D

olevetonahill
7/22/2013, 11:35 AM
Greco-roman sweaty ball grabbin'. :D

They tried to get me to rassel in High School. **** that noise, If Ima get sweaty and roll around on the floor its gonna be with a Hot Chick. if Im fight a Guy, Im gonna kick him in nads, put a knee to his face when he bends over and then go find that chick to roll around on the floor with.

badger
7/22/2013, 11:37 AM

1.5 of the last 2. Since we needed OT last year to win that should count as a tie.

Hey, Les used the same argument when saying his 2 losses were better than anyone else's in 2007 :les: [hairGel]

OU_Sooners75
7/22/2013, 03:16 PM
heh, watching a Bunch of Fat 1/2 neked sweaty dudes groping each other aint SPORT its Ghey Pron.:lemo:Greco-roman sweaty ball grabbin'. :D

Omg! Greco-roman is all upper body! Can't touch legs or crouch area.

Some of you need to know what the **** you're talking about . Lol

OU_Sooners75
7/22/2013, 03:17 PM

I'm pretty no one on this board Would tell Kelly Gregg all this to his face.

He was a junior cadet national championing Greco-roman.

Wishboned
7/22/2013, 03:27 PM
This year is the 30th anniversary of the only time I've truly witnessed Sooner Magic in person, when OU overcame a 20-3 deficit in the 4th quarter. I was hearing rumbling from the OSU fans about tearing down the goalposts. Then there was just rumbling.

Jacie
7/22/2013, 08:31 PM
This year is the 30th anniversary of the only time I've truly witnessed Sooner Magic in person, when OU overcame a 20-3 deficit in the 4th quarter. I was hearing rumbling from the OSU fans about tearing down the goalposts. Then there was just rumbling.

They were seriously going for the goalposts? How awesome to have seen the fall from elation to dejection. I envy you since I only listened to the game on the radio and have never seen video of it. The onside kick bouncing off the poke player's helmet was aggie-joke material. The Sooners scoring 18 points in 13 minutes was truly an example of Sooner Magic on par with any of the King's games in Lincoln.

Salt City Sooner
7/22/2013, 11:02 PM
I was watching that game the other day & got a few laughs out of that little ribbon message board they had just under their scoreboard. A few goodies:

W/ the score 20-10 w/ about 7 1/2 to go:

"Noice time fans" (& yes, that is how it was spelled)

After OU's last TD & 2 pt. conversion to make it 20-18 :

"Ya Gotta Believe"
"Orange Power"

After Lashar's FG:

"It's not over yet"

PrideMom
7/23/2013, 08:54 AM
May I ask why you are on the Soonerfans site? GO HOME!!

olevetonahill
7/23/2013, 09:32 AM
May I ask why you are on the Soonerfans site? GO HOME!!

Who are you askin?

CowboyMRW
7/24/2013, 04:14 AM
I don't have a home. I chose to go to school in Stillwater, and since we have terrible academics I couldn't get hired. So now I have all this debt and no home. I tried the casino but I just lost money there.

olevetonahill
7/24/2013, 04:37 AM
I don't have a home. I chose to go to school in Stillwater, and since we have terrible academics I couldn't get hired. So now I have all this debt and no home. I tried the casino but I just lost money there.

Heh, and yet you continually LOSE money to me every year :saturn: