PDA

View Full Version : NCAA ending one of its lucrative deals with EA Sports.

ouflak
7/18/2013, 04:17 AM
Saying this deal (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/07/17/ncaa-ending-videogame-contract-with-ea-electronic-arts/2525843/) is costing too much money in litigation, and future potential litigation, to carry on such an arrangement. Though I couldn't find the details, this was likely a cut-of-action kind of deal worth somewhere in the tens of millions of dollars a year to NCAA, if not more. It's curious how they refer to the student athlete's images and likenesses as their 'trademarks'. I'm not sure how that assertion will hold up legally.

badger
7/19/2013, 08:30 AM
this was likely a cut-of-action kind of deal worth somewhere in the tens of millions of dollars a year to NCAA, if not more

Only $545,000 annually, according to this (http://newsok.com/6-current-football-players-join-suit-against-ncaa/article/feed/567686).

Osburn responded in a statement that the NCAA's business relationship with EA only pertained to the logo and name.

"Student-athletes were never a part of this relationship and plaintiffs' attorneys know it. Further, the $545,000 paid annually to the NCAA for the use of the logo and name goes right back to support student-athletes across all three divisions," she said.

A small sum compared to what they're likely suing for.

kevpks
7/19/2013, 03:38 PM
That game could be fun now that the NCAA is out of it. You could turn off all of the rules in the recruiting simulation. Just put it on the Hart Lee Dykes setting.

8timechamps
7/19/2013, 07:45 PM
No matter what the NCAA say, I think this has to do with the O'Bannon case.

Nonetheless, the only change to the game will be the absence of the NCAA logo and marks. I really do hope this opens the developers up to be more creative.

Scott D
7/20/2013, 04:19 PM
No matter what the NCAA say, I think this has to do with the O'Bannon case.

Nonetheless, the only change to the game will be the absence of the NCAA logo and marks. I really do hope this opens the developers up to be more creative.

it has 100% to do with the O'Bannon case. You're talking about a case that has been in litigation for well over a decade. I'll give Ed O'Bannon credit for continuing this case considering that the NCAA Basketball game sucked, and so did his attempt at a pro career. The fact that current Arizona football players are now involved in the suit is pretty much a joke.

8timechamps
7/21/2013, 09:30 PM
it has 100% to do with the O'Bannon case. You're talking about a case that has been in litigation for well over a decade. I'll give Ed O'Bannon credit for continuing this case considering that the NCAA Basketball game sucked, and so did his attempt at a pro career. The fact that current Arizona football players are now involved in the suit is pretty much a joke.

I think it'd be hysterical if O'Bannon won and got awarded $1. The only downside to that would be the Pandora's box that would be open.

badger
7/22/2013, 08:15 AM
That game could be fun now that the NCAA is out of it. You could turn off all of the rules in the recruiting simulation. Just put it on the Hart Lee Dykes setting.

I also want the "celebrate till you get a penalty" option back :)

One time the game glitched out and the player did the talking with the hand (thumb to fingers) motion repeatedly instead of dancing or whatever.

Scott D
7/22/2013, 08:54 AM
I think it'd be hysterical if O'Bannon won and got awarded $1. The only downside to that would be the Pandora's box that would be open.

The other thing that amuses me, is if they've ever been able to prove that the NFL players were compensated for their "likeness" in the Madden games. Sure it's been approved by the NFL and NFLPA, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the players are receiving any compensation.