PDA

View Full Version : This and next year are crucial for Stoops

basel90
7/16/2013, 06:29 AM
last year we ended with a share of the big 12 title but with worrying losses at home to beatable opponents and with a crash in the cotton bowl. The effects of years of lackluster recruiting ( yes it does make a difference when your recruiting is not in the top 10 consistently, just look at Alabama and LSU and other top tier programs, they are always in the top 5 in recuriting and it shows during the season , Texas is an exception ;) , questionable coaching staff talend and abilities and there are many : Venables, Shipp, Kittle , Patton etc.
These factors have added up and what we have is a top 15 team not a top 5 team like the sooners should be consistantly.

I am so sick of seeing SEC football winning it all , but there are no secrets , they have top coaches and top recruiting , period. For stoops to be mentioned as a top five coach again he needs to put these thinngs together. We have seen stoops lose consistantly to these better coaches: Les Miles, Nick Saban and yes Kelly at ND and even Bill Snyder at KSU lately . I cannot recall the last time stoops beat a team which was a favorite against the sooners, but we have lost a bunch to underdog teams.

For years we have been meandering and dependent on half solutions with Juco transfers and questionble recruiting.

I have faith bob and mike stoops will turn things around on Defense and the recruiting will kick in to finally see OU as a top team again as it should. I hope the new coaching staff is as advertised as we need to start crancking things soon . A win in South Bend and a bowl win this year , and a championship game appearance or win next year should be the benchmark.

olevetonahill
7/16/2013, 07:09 AM
Fire Bob, Hire Boo.

Mazeppa
7/16/2013, 07:57 AM
last year we ended with a share of the big 12 title but with worrying losses at home to beatable opponents and with a crash in the cotton bowl. The effects of years of lackluster recruiting ( yes it does make a difference when your recruiting is not in the top 10 consistently, just look at Alabama and LSU and other top tier programs, they are always in the top 5 in recuriting and it shows during the season , Texas is an exception ;) , questionable coaching staff talend and abilities and there are many : Venables, Shipp, Kittle , Patton etc.
These factors have added up and what we have is a top 15 team not a top 5 team like the sooners should be consistantly.

I am so sick of seeing SEC football winning it all , but there are no secrets , they have top coaches and top recruiting , period. For stoops to be mentioned as a top five coach again he needs to put these thinngs together. We have seen stoops lose consistantly to these better coaches: Les Miles, Nick Saban and yes Kelly at ND and even Bill Snyder at KSU lately . I cannot recall the last time stoops beat a team which was a favorite against the sooners, but we have lost a bunch to underdog teams.

For years we have been meandering and dependent on half solutions with Juco transfers and questionble recruiting.

I have faith bob and mike stoops will turn things around on Defense and the recruiting will kick in to finally see OU as a top team again as it should. I hope the new coaching staff is as advertised as we need to start crancking things soon . A win in South Bend and a bowl win this year , and a championship game appearance or win next year should be the benchmark.

Gee, the natives are getting restless.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
7/16/2013, 08:02 AM

Make no mistake about it, the oversigning/gray shirting in the SEC isas responsible as anything for their run on the Titles. They have more players than other schools. But, they have no integrity!

champions77
7/16/2013, 08:51 AM

+1 The mistakes that Bob has made are quite evident for most. Hiring Kittle, Patton, promoting Josh Heupel into a position of "on the job training" when it is obvious that he has a long way to go before he would earn this postion, overlooking Jay Norvel who has substantially more experience. If you think he's had trouble getting plays down to the sideline, wait until this year, and how many times a game does he find a way to get Trey Millard the ball, 4 or 5? No tight end depth, no fullback recruits the last two years even though Millard is a Senior. Finally a sense of urgency in recruiting dtackles this February... but only after three starters had completed their eligibility. Would have liked to see that same sense of urgency two or three years ago.

Average recruiting years, a continuing plague of players leaving the program whether it be voluntarily or forced out, an abnormal amount year after year of injuries, and a coaching staff that from top to bottom is has been Bob's worst in his tenure here the last few years.

I understand that Mike has had a few "colorful" conversations with his older brother. And that is understandable. Look at what defensive talent Mike has his last year 2003, and compare that to the talent on board when he returned? Not even close.

Not a recipe for success I'm afraid.

Widescreen
7/16/2013, 09:26 AM
We have seen stoops lose consistantly to these better coaches: Les Miles, Nick Saban and yes Kelly at ND and even Bill Snyder at KSU lately .

You had a lot of good stuff in your post but this one item isn't fair. They beat us in Norman last year due to boneheaded plays by Landry and Bell, not because of poor coaching. And the previous year, we blew out KSU in Manhattan. We're 3-1 against them the last 4 meetings and it doesn't get better for them the further back you go.

Fraggle145
7/16/2013, 09:52 AM
I understand that Mike has had a few "colorful" conversations with his older brother. And that is understandable. Look at what defensive talent Mike has his last year 2003, and compare that to the talent on board when he returned? Not even close.

According to who?

badger
7/16/2013, 09:54 AM
Are they crucial? Maybe, but more than anything else they'll tell you if Stoops is really serious about getting back in the national title picture, or ready to just convince fans and media that Big 12 titles, 10-win seasons and national awards/NFL draftees are all good enough marks of success.

As a not-lifelong Sooner (came to OU in 2001 for degree, moved to state at the same time) with a losing high school football team, I think that those are all great accomplishments.

For Sooner fans that experienced 2000 and other championship seasons... probably not good enough

champions77
7/16/2013, 10:03 AM
According to who?

According to a former All American lineman that lives in Norman and is well connected. Why, does that surprise you? It shouldn't.

thecrimsoncrusader
7/16/2013, 10:34 AM
OU's players (not the coaching staff) seemed to take KSU for granted last season. OU smoked them in Manhattan the season before and the OU players seemed to have the attitude that it would be even easier in Norman.

OU's schedule sets up beautifully this season. 3 home games to get Bell up to starter speed and then a bye week and then the Notre Dame game. And then bye weeks before two of the most explosive offenses that Oklahoma will see in the regular season in both Baylor and Oklahoma St. WVU and KSU are in massive rebuilding years and it's %current_time% and Texas still sucks.

In the end though, this season will dictated by the Sooner defense.

Fraggle145
7/16/2013, 11:04 AM
According to a former All American lineman that lives in Norman and is well connected. Why, does that surprise you? It shouldn't.

I didnt say I found it surprising, if true. I just was trying to get a gauge on how much credence I wanted to give your story. Given that you are an anonymous poster on an internet message board and dont have a lot of posts. I'm not trying to put your information down. Just been on boards for a few years. You have to try to figure out what is bull butter and what is real.

jkjsooner
7/16/2013, 12:59 PM
I cannot recall the last time stoops beat a team which was a favorite against the sooners, but we have lost a bunch to underdog teams.

It's almost impossible for a team like OU to win more games as an underdog than they lose as a favorite. I'd dare say we're favored in about 10 games per year. We may be underdogs in a couple of games. Considering the parity in college football, we're bound to slip up a time or two in those games against underdogs.

I'd bet if you look at Alabama under Saban over the last few years you could make the same argument. How many games were they underdogs last year? Did they win any games as underdogs? We know they lost one as favorites.

I'd bet Duke football wins a lot more games as underdogs than they lose as favorites. See where I'm going here?

badger
7/16/2013, 01:58 PM
I cannot recall the last time stoops beat a team which was a favorite against the sooners, but we have lost a bunch to underdog teams.
Maybe 2011 @ Florida State? We were ranked higher, but it was road game with Gameday in town.

If not then:
2010 @ Poke State
2009 vs Poke State
2009 Sun Bowl vs Stanford

2008 Texas Tech was probably the most nervous many of us felt in a long time for a home game. So if none of the above, 2008 Tech definitely.

basel90
7/16/2013, 02:09 PM
Maybe 2011 @ Florida State? We were ranked higher, but it was road game with Gameday in town.

If not then:
2010 @ Poke State
2009 vs Poke State
2009 Sun Bowl vs Stanford

2008 Texas Tech was probably the most nervous many of us felt in a long time for a home game. So if none of the above, 2008 Tech definitely.

I don't see beating the pokes as an accomplishment , same for tech.

jkjsooner
7/16/2013, 02:22 PM
I don't see beating the pokes as an accomplishment , same for tech.

So you want us to win more games as an underdog than we lose as a favorite even though only 15% or so of our games have us underdogs and among those 15% you'll exclude wins against teams you don't feel are worthy?

I bet there's never been a college coach who meets your standards.

5thYearSooner
7/16/2013, 02:24 PM
same for tech.

Beating an unbeaten 2008 Tech team who beat (an unbeaten) texas the previous week is definitely an accomplishment.

That probably was the best win during Sam's time at OU

badger
7/16/2013, 02:30 PM
I chose those games not based on who they were, but what they were at the time --- either ranked higher than us (all except @FSU) or that big early season top 5 matchup with ESPN Gameday on site (@ FSU).

champions77
7/16/2013, 03:27 PM
I didnt say I found it surprising, if true. I just was trying to get a gauge on how much credence I wanted to give your story. Given that you are an anonymous poster on an internet message board and dont have a lot of posts. I'm not trying to put your information down. Just been on boards for a few years. You have to try to figure out what is bull butter and what is real.

I bet Mike was shocked to see what we had talent wise when he showed up. Without looking it up, how many did we have play in the NFL off of that team versus last year's team, 7 to 3?

basel90
7/16/2013, 03:37 PM
So you want us to win more games as an underdog than we lose as a favorite even though only 15% or so of our games have us underdogs and among those 15% you'll exclude wins against teams you don't feel are worthy?

I bet there's never been a college coach who meets your standards.

I agree with you we can't Win more games as underdogs . My point is we are not making any progress against top teams nor are we beating them under bob lately.

jkjsooner
7/16/2013, 03:49 PM
I agree with you we can't Win more games as underdogs . My point is we are not making any progress against top teams nor are we beating them under bob lately.

On that I'm in agreement.

SoonerKnight
7/16/2013, 07:21 PM
I think the D will be better than last year. I think Mike will not make the same mistakes he made and plan to the talent he has and the opponent. I also believe that Bell should he be the started will be a player that will rally the team when their down. Sam used to try and rally the team did a good job from what I remember. Bell is going to be a better passer than people give him credit for.

CatfishSooner
7/16/2013, 08:55 PM
I think the D will be better than last year. I think Mike will not make the same mistakes he made and plan to the talent he has and the opponent. I also believe that Bell should he be the started will be a player that will rally the team when their down. Sam used to try and rally the team did a good job from what I remember. Bell is going to be a better passer than people give him credit for.

Is Bell definitely going to be the QB??

SoonerKnight
7/16/2013, 09:18 PM
I believe he will (best guess). As I said should he be the starter I think he'll be better as a passer than people are giving him credit for. I saw him make throws in the spring game (on video) that I did not see Landry make. Our long ball has been very limited. Sometimes I wonder if Landry was the best QB. Not saying he was not a good QB just limited in his long throws. I remember the 2000 season and one thing that always stood out was that we could throw the ball down field and connect for huge yardage. With White, and Sam we had that threat as well. I just don't remember that happening recently. Besides that Bell was recruited as the #1 passer in the country out of HS.

8timechamps
7/16/2013, 09:35 PM
As much as some fans want to make the next two years "crucial" for Stoops. They aren't.

Bob will coach at OU until he's ready to retire. No amount of cliff dwelling by portions of the fan base will change that.

SoonerKnight
7/17/2013, 12:44 AM
Thank You! Stoops has done a hell of a job and we will be very distressed when he is not our coach! I can not think of a better coach for the sooners right now. Despite the supposedly low talent on the D! I can see this team over achieving this year.

The problem with kids is that they are KIDS. Stubborn and don't always listen. So when you get kids that think they are GOD's gift to football a team can be divided. If these kids play with heart and finish the play we will see a great D.

We all know that the SEC holds competition for roster spots and gives grey shirts to those who don't make the cut. Hopefully this practice ends soon and levels the playing field.

odontia
7/17/2013, 09:52 AM
I believe he will (best guess). As I said should he be the starter I think he'll be better as a passer than people are giving him credit for. I saw him make throws in the spring game (on video) that I did not see Landry make. Our long ball has been very limited. Sometimes I wonder if Landry was the best QB. Not saying he was not a good QB just limited in his long throws. I remember the 2000 season and one thing that always stood out was that we could throw the ball down field and connect for huge yardage. With White, and Sam we had that threat as well. I just don't remember that happening recently. Besides that Bell was recruited as the #1 passer in the country out of HS.

I will credit our long throws in 2000 to great leadership, good receivers, and poor opposing defensive backs. Our quarterback in 2000 did not have a great arm.....just ask the dolphins.

IronHorseSooner
7/17/2013, 12:54 PM
Again, I don't think it is the talent-level on D, but the coaching. Shipp was just punching his timecard. He had talent, he just never developed it. We have some guys who have the God-given ability, we need someone like Coach Monty to kick them in the arse! We have some 4 and 5-star guys there (Phillips, Russell, Wade, Grissom, Ward, Dimon), some vets (Ndulue, Favors, Chaz Nelson, Peterson), and a couple of guys who are physical freaks (Tapper and Onuoha). This group just needs some good coaching. The DBs are now more like Coach Mike likes, bigger and more physical, and having an All-American in Colvin and vets like Lynn and Wilson also helps. The offense and STs can be REALLY good. In short, it all comes down to the LBs this year. Again, it is not a shortage of talent. Corey Nelson basically lost a year last year, but he is on most All Big 12 preseason teams. Remember, he was one of the top defensive players coming out of Texas. Franklin probably would have been a 5-star, but he was nursing an injury his senior year. I saw Striker in person in High School, and how he got by FLA, FSU, Miami, and the SEC schools, I have no idea. It comes down to Shannon as his development as an ILB/MLB, depending on our scheme. I think this year is crucial for Coach Kish, if anybody.

SoonerNomad
7/17/2013, 01:40 PM
As much as some fans want to make the next two years "crucial" for Stoops. They aren't.

Bob will coach at OU until he's ready to retire. No amount of cliff dwelling by portions of the fan base will change that.

this^

SoonerKnight
7/17/2013, 08:43 PM
He did not have to have a great arm just get it to the receivers. I am talking about 2000 we went against some good D's.

OU_Sooners75
7/17/2013, 10:03 PM
What?

So now we aren't gaining ground?

Last time I looked college football goes in cycles. Every team faces harder times than their fans are accustom too. Oklahoma is no different. And neither is Stoops.

Switzer had a few years that were considered failure seasons. Bht then got the pieces out back together and had a chance to win 3 more titles, in which he won one.

The thing Stoops needs to keep in mind is that he can just slide by on name recognition alone. And I think after the last few years he sees that.

There are a couple of position coaches I will have my eye on this year. Tim Kish (LB) and Bobby Jack Wright (DE).

I will also have my eye fixed on Josh Heupel just to see if he can balance out our attack on offense.

Correct the positions named and balance the offensive attack and OU will be back in business.

SoonerKnight
7/18/2013, 12:48 AM
What?

Last time I looked college football goes in cycles. Every team faces harder times than their fans are accustom too. Oklahoma is no different. And neither is Stoops.

Switzer had a few years that were considered failure seasons. Bht then got the pieces out back together and had a chance to win 3 more titles, in which he won one.

The thing Stoops needs to keep in mind is that he can just slide by on name recognition alone. And I think after the last few years he sees that.

There are a couple of position coaches I will have my eye on this year. Tim Kish (LB) and Bobby Jack Wright (DE).

I will also have my eye fixed on Josh Heupel just to see if he can balance out our attack on offense.

Correct the positions named and balance the offensive attack and OU will be back in business.

I agree about Kish. Stoops however is at Oklahoma for 2 reasons. He want 2 more titles and he wants to leave as the best OU football coach. OU has had ever. I base this on loose comments he has made.

Sabanball
7/19/2013, 11:00 PM
As much as some fans want to make the next two years "crucial" for Stoops. They aren't

You're exactly right, IMO. Bob had an unbelievable run from '00-'08, knows he's got a lifetime contract in Norman, and no pressure.

JLEW1818
7/20/2013, 09:50 AM
I just hate what the big12 is becoming. Flag Football.

swardboy
7/20/2013, 10:15 AM
Again, I don't think it is the talent-level on D, but the coaching. Shipp was just punching his timecard. He had talent, he just never developed it. We have some guys who have the God-given ability, we need someone like Coach Monty to kick them in the arse! We have some 4 and 5-star guys there (Phillips, Russell, Wade, Grissom, Ward, Dimon), some vets (Ndulue, Favors, Chaz Nelson, Peterson), and a couple of guys who are physical freaks (Tapper and Onuoha). This group just needs some good coaching. The DBs are now more like Coach Mike likes, bigger and more physical, and having an All-American in Colvin and vets like Lynn and Wilson also helps. The offense and STs can be REALLY good. In short, it all comes down to the LBs this year. Again, it is not a shortage of talent. Corey Nelson basically lost a year last year, but he is on most All Big 12 preseason teams. Remember, he was one of the top defensive players coming out of Texas. Franklin probably would have been a 5-star, but he was nursing an injury his senior year. I saw Striker in person in High School, and how he got by FLA, FSU, Miami, and the SEC schools, I have no idea. It comes down to Shannon as his development as an ILB/MLB, depending on our scheme. I think this year is crucial for Coach Kish, if anybody.

Excellent post. These new coaches will be eager to show their mettle this first year. Your post restores my confidence that we've given them tools (players) to work with. No "punching his time card" syndrome in 2013 for sure. Me likee.

PLaw
7/20/2013, 01:53 PM
Make no mistake about it, the oversigning/gray shirting in the SEC isas responsible as anything for their run on the Titles. They have more players than other schools. But, they have no integrity!

Spot on, SPIS.

PLaw
7/20/2013, 02:01 PM
What?

You saying BJW has run his cycle with Texas HS coaches?

Kish is out of his league and needs to go.

Sadly, this is a make or break year for Heup.

At some point, we need to look at Schmidty.

Scott D
7/20/2013, 04:20 PM
I think this week is a make or break week for basel90

colleyvillesooner
7/20/2013, 05:22 PM
Heh

olevetonahill
7/20/2013, 05:30 PM
I think this week is a make or break week for basel90

Heh, Id Spek ya if I could bro.

SoonerKnight
7/23/2013, 12:48 PM
Nice!

Sabanball
7/23/2013, 06:38 PM
Spot on, SPIS.

Per conference rules enacted almost 2 yrs ago, SEC teams are limited to no more than 25 signees per class.

ashley
7/23/2013, 07:10 PM
What?

As a self-professed coach critic I am quite surprised that you did not know Wright had moved back to the secondary. I am also surprised that you did know that because of the spread offenses that we now have one front coach and two secondary coaches.

8timechamps
7/23/2013, 07:16 PM
As a self-professed coach critic I am quite surprised that you did not know Wright had moved back to the secondary. I am also surprised that you did know that because of the spread offenses that we now have one front coach and two secondary coaches.

Yep, BJW is back home in the secondary.

To add, BJW is one of the last guys I would say is anywhere near the hot seat. He has consistently been among the best recruiters the Sooners have, and he's a hell of a coach.

Scott D
7/23/2013, 09:05 PM
I'd like to add that this week has become critical for basel90

Bourbon St Sooner
7/24/2013, 12:34 PM
I'd like to add that this week has become critical for basel90

I agree. Parsley100 is about to overtake him followed close by Cilantro75.

SoonerKnight
7/24/2013, 03:02 PM
I agree. Parsley100 is about to overtake him followed close by Cilantro75.

What is this salad week?