PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Position Preview: Linebacker

8timechamps
7/13/2013, 07:37 PM
After a brief absence, the board is back up and here is my 2013 linebacker preview:

2013 Position Preview: Linebacker

2012 Recap
There’s nothing to say that hasn’t already been said about last year’s linebacker situation. It was mostly non-existent late in the year, and even when the unit was on the field, they weren’t overly productive. 2012 is a year to forget in Sooner linebacker history.

2013 Preview
I saved the linebackers for the last defensive unit to preview, because there is a lot we just don’t know right now. Who will start? How many linebackers will be on the field? Will any linebackers be on the field? Mike Stoops was quoted in an offseason interview as saying that last year, they (the coaching staff) “did the unit an injustice”. 20/20 Hindsight is pretty clear, but what will that mean going forward? There are good athletes on the roster, but can they play effectively? Like all the other questions we have about this year’s squad, there will not be any answers until the season starts.

There were rumblings during this offseason that Mike Stoops was going to switch to a 3-4 defense, and it almost appears that may be the case based on the type of front seven players the Sooners have recruited. While there was no indication in the spring game that the Sooners would move away from the 4-2-5, it remains to be seen whether or not the defense is in for a schematic change in 2013.

Here are the linebackers on the 2013 roster:

#7 – Corey Nelson (Senior)/LB
Once billed by Bob Stoops as the “best athlete on the team”, Nelson has yet to break out and prove Stoops was correct. In 2011, Nelson seemed to be developing into the kind of linebacker OU is used to fielding, and received an honorable mention as a member of the 2011 all-conference team. The same year, Nelson recorded 5.5 sacks (the most of any LB that year), and showed a lot of promise. Then, in 2012, he seemed to disappear at times (even when Stoops played LBs). For 2013, Nelson has to play like the player he was billed to be, and be an active, disruptive force. Nelson should be a returning starter, and must be a dependable leader if the 2013 defense looks to make better showing.

#20 – Frank Shannon (R – Sophomore)/LB
During a year that didn’t provide many positives from the linebacker corps, Shannon announced his arrival against Texas Tech with a 5 tackle performance that included his first collegiate sack. As quickly as it appeared OU had a playmaker at LB, Shannon failed to follow up his performance the following week against Texas, recording no tackles. For the remainder of the season, Shannon was a hit and miss player, but showed flashes (that he could make an impact) at times. For 2013, Shannon appears poised to be a starter, and could develop into a much needed play-maker at LB. The downside for Shannon is inexperience, but hopefully he develops over the summer and can reinvigorate a sagging unit.

#19 – Eric Striker (Sophomore)/LB
Considered a top 20 safety out of high school, Striker played his way out of a redshirt at linebacker his freshman year. Striker saw time in all 13 games (mainly on special teams), but never had much of a chance to gain experience at linebacker. Striker is not a big linebacker (6’0” 198), but makes up for it with his speed. Not quite big enough to play a hybrid end/OLB, Striker will have to work hard to find playing time in 2013. In high school, Striker set a school record for sacks (playing safety), and if he wants to earn meaningful time on the field, he’ll need to bring that same type of performance this summer. There is upside to Striker, but the downside remains his size. I anticipate Striker will continue to be a special teams player, that ends up a backup on the depth chart.

#25 – Aaron Franklin (R – Junior)/LB
Franklin has spent most of his time at OU on special teams, where he has been a solid contributor. A highly sought after recruit coming out of high school, Franklin has yet to play himself into a starting role at linebacker. Franklin saw action in 12 games in 2012, and proved to be a serviceable back up at linebacker. In 2013, Franklin needs to show he can be a dependable player if he wants to challenge for a starting spot. One of the remaining Venables recruits, Franklin has the speed to play a role against high power Big XII offenses, but like Frank Shannon, he’ll need to prove he can be counted on if he wants to make an impact. Franklin could be in the mix to start by the time the season rolls around.

#45 – Caleb Gastelum (Junior)/LB
Gastelum, the walk-on junior hasn’t seen much time at linebacker in his first two years, and I don’t expect that to change much over the next two years. A contributor on special teams and a solid practice player, Gastelum is lost on the depth chart in 2013.

#31 – Londell Taylor (R – Sophomore)/LB
Like Gastelum, Taylor is a walk-on player. I know next to nothing about Taylor, and haven’t heard his name mentioned during spring or summer workouts.

No number – Dominique Alexander (Incoming Freshman)/LB
Alexander, a smallish linebacker (6’0”, 190 lbs) was considered an “athlete” coming out of high school (having played linebacker, cornerback, quarterback and wide receiver in high school), but is expected to be a dedicated linebacker at OU. Originally committed to Arkansas (as a linebacker), Alexander flipped his commitment and chose OU over Arkansas, Nebraska, Kansas State, Oregon State, Texas Tech and others. Alexander is a bit of a throwback player in the sense that the Stoops brothers went and found the best athlete available, and will develop him into a player than can benefit the team. I anticipate 2013 to be a redshirt season for Alexander, but expect big things from him in the next few years.

Projected Two-Deep:
(Note: This is based on a 4-2-5 Defense. I will post a projected two-deep for a 3-4 defense in the final wrap-up)
LB: Corey Nelson
Backup: Eric Striker
LB: Frank Shannon
Backup: Aaron Franklin

Next Up: Offensive Line

cleller
7/14/2013, 08:41 AM
The position that worries me most. No one has made a name for himself at this spot anywhere close to what we've grown used to.

Too many "not big" and "smallish" assessments in there for comfort.

MichiganSooner
7/14/2013, 12:00 PM
Thanks for these assesments of various positions. Regarding defensive ends, which was one of the first positions you worked up-#96 Mitch Tate, RS Sophomore, 6-4, 238-a walk on from Bartlesville. I ask about his development because saw him play high school here; you mentioned progress of a couple walk-on linebackers above.

8timechamps
7/14/2013, 05:23 PM
Cleller, I agree (about the number of undersized LBs on the roster). This is a result of two years without a true prototypical LB recruit. Prior to that, Venables recruited some decent LBs, but they were brought in to fit his zone style defense. The good news is that OU just landed a "real" LB last week (6'2", 200 lbs...and expected to grow a little more).

I made the note about the possibility of the 3-4 defense, and I think there is some validity to that. Stoops has recruited a lot of "tweeners" (OLB/DE) type players in the past year or so, and I think there is a possibility that we see that factor in at some point.

8timechamps
7/14/2013, 05:24 PM
MichiganSooner,

I haven't heard much about Tate. The DE position is one of the deepest on the team (in sheer numbers), so it's possible he could just be lost in the mix. I'll fish around and see what I can find out and report back.

thecrimsoncrusader
7/15/2013, 08:33 AM
OU's linebackers have not been good, but on the other hand, they would probably look better to a certain degree if OU's front four would not have been so weak from the 2010 through 2012 seasons. One can only hope a fresh start up front in terms of personnel and scheme will improve the line-backing corps and the defense as a whole because OU isn't winning another NC until the performance of the front four is addressed.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/15/2013, 10:30 AM
It also helps them to be on the field but that horse is dead and nothing left to beat. Coaches admitted some mistakes on their part, players have had a year to get acclimated. Hopefully that means better production this season.

IronHorseSooner
7/15/2013, 12:55 PM
Need an opinion from STEP and the like...do we have the personnel to run a 3-4? I know that we have a lot of guys who would be "hybrid" types (DT/DE and DE/OLB) and three big DTs (Phillips, Russell, and Wade).

8timechamps
7/15/2013, 04:24 PM
Need an opinion from STEP and the like...do we have the personnel to run a 3-4? I know that we have a lot of guys who would be "hybrid" types (DT/DE and DE/OLB) and three big DTs (Phillips, Russell, and Wade).

Personally, I think we have a great group of players to run a 3-4. We have a ton of hybrib players on the roster (Favors, Grissom, Lindley, Onuoha, etc.). That's why I'm not sold that we won't see a change this season.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/15/2013, 04:32 PM
On paper, I would say OU has the personnel..But I am way past getting excited about players who I haven't seen perform in a college football game.

OU really has been playing some variations of the 3-4 forever...Ronnell, Thibs...lots of OLBs playing with their hand on the ground.

8timechamps
7/15/2013, 04:57 PM
On paper, I would say OU has the personnel..But I am way past getting excited about players who I haven't seen perform in a college football game.

OU really has been playing some variations of the 3-4 forever...Ronnell, Thibs...lots of OLBs playing with their hand on the ground.

I'm with you STEP, I can't get excited about the front four yet. I know there are some guys that are supposed to be very talented, but until I see them show up during games I can't get excited.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/16/2013, 12:00 AM
I think the one who could surprise here is Stryker. During the spring game, he was the only guy who really attacked like a linebacker consistently. Nelson was decent in the game as well, but it took him almost 30 snaps to get into it.

thecrimsoncrusader
7/16/2013, 06:24 AM
I think the one who could surprise here is Stryker. During the spring game, he was the only guy who really attacked like a linebacker consistently. Nelson was decent in the game as well, but it took him almost 30 snaps to get into it.

Albeit different positions, Stryker was providing Brandon Shelby flashbacks. Stryker has great timing and can fly and I really hope they use him in such capacity this season.

8timechamps
7/19/2013, 07:58 PM

I hope so. I was really excited when he committed, and I know he has a lot of talent. He was a beast in high school.