PDA

View Full Version : OU has their coach

Ruf/Nek7
6/27/2013, 10:37 AM
http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2013/6/27/4470414/ou-oklahoma-sooners-baseball-pete-hughes-virginia-tech-hokies
I am putting all faith in Joe C. On this one. Either way, anything will be better than SG IMO.

badger
6/27/2013, 11:33 AM
If you can't beat OU, join OU:)

Welcome, you crazy Hokie you

mojorisen2014
6/27/2013, 11:50 AM
Great. 3 weeks ago the guy had a heart attack.

Boomer.....
6/27/2013, 12:00 PM
Interesting hire. I don't think he was even on the radar.

badger
6/27/2013, 12:29 PM

Gene was our coach for 3 hours. Will new guy beat Gene's record? :(

Ruf/Nek7
6/27/2013, 12:29 PM

What doesn't kill ya only makes you stronger....or atleast a little weaker

badger
6/27/2013, 12:53 PM
I just saw this out there:

Mason will be introduced at a news conference scheduled for 4:30 p.m. in Blacksburg, Va.

So VT will have a new coach later this afternoon... when will they (or anyone) officially confirm where the current VT coach is headed?

nighttrain12
6/27/2013, 01:44 PM
I am putting all faith in Joe C. On this one. Either way, anything will be better than SG IMO.

Sunny's team just beat Pete's team in the regionals.

nighttrain12
6/27/2013, 01:45 PM

'Heart Attack' Hughes? Too soon to give him a nickname?

TweenerTues
6/27/2013, 01:45 PM
Pete Whoughes??????

Not Impressed. He better bring it.

nighttrain12
6/27/2013, 01:46 PM
This guy is so tough, he had a heart attack AND drove himself to the hospital.

http://newsok.com/report-ou-baseball-to-hire-virginia-techs-pete-hughes/article/3856745

Hughes suffered a heart attack earlier this month just a few days after being eliminated by the Sooners.

He drove himself to the hospital after suffering from symptoms for about six hours.

According to the Roanoke Times, Hughes underwent surgery June 6 to have a stent implanted following the heart attack.

badger
6/27/2013, 01:46 PM
I think I'm gonna call him "Angry Eyes" based on this photo (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/OU_tabs_Virginia_Techs_Hughes_as_next_baseball_coa ch/20130627_695_0_NRAeeH325193) :)

Hell, he might be Lon Kruger's long lost brother based on that photo

Ruf/Nek7
6/27/2013, 02:03 PM
Sunny's team just beat Pete's team in the regionals.

I guess with that logic, the Pepperdine or arky little rock coach would have been a better hire?

TweenerTues
6/27/2013, 02:19 PM
These Okla/Texas recruits have always dreamed of playing for a no name coach from Boston! Sign me up!

stoopified
6/27/2013, 03:55 PM
Sunny's team just beat Pete's team in the regionals. I thought about that and the fact that Sunny also had a better career coaching record BUT I think I will trust Joe C. In reality what choice do we have but to trust Joe ? I know he is more informed about hiring good coaches than I.

TweenerTues
6/27/2013, 04:35 PM
After hearing the press conference it seems that Hughes is a good dude. One thing that does bother me is his accent, which he made light of. He made jokes, didnt mention Student-Athletes or that God chose his path and led him to Norman. Didn't thank Joe C over and over. Initially I thought it was a weak hire, while I still think its a weak hire it is refreshing to know this guy is about as total opposite to SG as you can get. Told players in a telephone conference it would be the "funnest" time they will have playing baseball. Happy players make better players, IMO. Wants to make the alumni feel welcomed. Encouraged by his words. He has my 100% support, as long as he keeps Giese. If not, **** him!!! Boomer!

Ruf/Nek7
6/27/2013, 06:16 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/AndrewRash_20/status/350389788139986944?p=v

I don't know how to post the pic of the tweet itself from my iPad but this tweet tells me that this will be a worth while hire. Probably a complete 180 from Sunny, especially after seeing all of those tweets from OU baseball players.

nighttrain12
6/27/2013, 09:10 PM
He does seem to have a completely different personality than Sunny and hopefully he can unite the program, past and present. It will be very tough for him to match Sunny's success here but this is a new beginning and I am looking forward to rooting him and the Sooners baseball team on this coming season.

hvhurricane
6/27/2013, 10:53 PM
These Okla/Texas recruits have always dreamed of playing for a no name coach from Boston! Sign me up!

This just proves to me once again that Joe C doesn't know college baseball. The guy's bio is average, at best. He has one good season as a head coach, out of 16, and you get the head job at OU? And we are bringing in a guy with no Ok/TX/CA connections? I don't care if he is a player's coach or not. It is all about winning. If we were going to go this far down the list and pick a guy with an east coast accent, then we should have just called Skip Johnson and hired him, although he would probably have to take a pay cut. I hope we didn't pay a firm for this hire. I can name 100 coaches in this business who would crawl on their hands and knees to get this job and we hire a one trick pony from the east coast?

BoomerJack
9/17/2013, 08:47 PM
Wow! Nothing on this particular board for 2 1/2 months!

Soooo. Is anybody going to the intra-squad game this coming Saturday? If anything else to see how these guys may look this coming spring???

Anyone ...??? Buehler.... ?????

JoeR
9/18/2013, 05:03 PM
The schedule shows Saturday, Sept. 21 10:00 am. I'll be in the area on Saturday so will probably stop by for an hour or so. I think we're going to like Coach Hughes just from the few interviews I've seen/read.