PDA

View Full Version : Thinkin about Going Total Lectric here at the shack

olevetonahill
6/26/2013, 11:27 AM
Cant believe Im sayin that, I lived out here for 2 an 1/2 years with out Any Lectric cept My generator and some 12 volt Battery lights an Fans an such.

Any way Ran out of Propane for My Cook stove, Been having a Feud with the Local Propane guy anyway.
Never much used an lectric stove . What is the difference? Better /worse? cheaper Mo spensive?

Prolly gonna just cook on the grill all summer anyway. Got an Hot plate a toaster oven and a Nuke machine.

Thots? Opinions?

SanJoaquinSooner
6/26/2013, 11:33 AM
Does your computer run on Propane?

SanJoaquinSooner
6/26/2013, 11:35 AM
But seriously, I have a slight preference for a gas stove over electric, but it's not big deal.

olevetonahill
6/26/2013, 11:58 AM
But seriously, I have a slight preference for a gas stove over electric, but it's not big deal.

I really dont WANT switch, But Not sure If it would make a Dif. The down side to Total Lectric is when we have storms being Rural I lose power often. never moren a Few hours anymore But often that I would keep my generator on Stand by for.

Its just this asshat here has decided Im Renting this Tank that Ive had for 20 years and wants a ****pot full off back rent. I say I bot the Tank from him. Cant prove it tho But Ive never paid rent. so where hes come up with this **** is Out his *** I guess.

rock on sooner
6/26/2013, 12:41 PM
Propane vs electric....
Gas is easier to cook with..better control of heat source..
e.g. recipe says to bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer,
turning down the flame reduces a boil almost immediately,
boil overs the same. Electric coil stoves are just the direct
opposite. Most of the time electric is easier to clean, especially
the oven (self-clean types). Stove tops, too, generally.

Expense? Don't know the cost of propane vs your electricity
so can't really comment on that.

Personally, I prefer the electric oven but I like the gas burners
on top. I have an all electric kitchen, though. (I do grill with
gas grill all year round)...just shovel the snow on the patio same
time I do the walks and driveway...:untroubled:

Midtowner
6/26/2013, 12:44 PM
I really dont WANT switch, But Not sure If it would make a Dif. The down side to Total Lectric is when we have storms being Rural I lose power often. never moren a Few hours anymore But often that I would keep my generator on Stand by for.

Its just this asshat here has decided Im Renting this Tank that Ive had for 20 years and wants a ****pot full off back rent. I say I bot the Tank from him. Cant prove it tho But Ive never paid rent. so where hes come up with this **** is Out his *** I guess.

You need to talk to a lawyer 'bout that one. Depending on whether you signed something which screws you, the news may be pretty good.

lubbocksooner
6/26/2013, 12:52 PM
You need to talk to a lawyer 'bout that one. Depending on whether you signed something which screws you, the news may be pretty good.

I am with Mid on this one lawyer up or buy from someone else if you can. For your purposes gas is probably "better" a full size electric stove is going to require a 220v setup I think, that would be a lot of electricty to pull of the gen. or battery pack.

rock on sooner
6/26/2013, 12:53 PM

If you can't prove you bought it, can he prove that you didn't?
If he says rent, make him produce the rental agreement. If
he is making the claim, it is incumbent on him to prove it. I'm
no lawyer, but I'd make all that happen first. If he produces
a valid rental agreement, you're prolly screwed. If he can't, then
maybe a one time consultation fee with an attorney is worth it.
Just a thought....

Midtowner
6/26/2013, 12:57 PM
If he produces
a valid rental agreement, you're prolly screwed.

Not necessarily.

I'm not getting into specifics and I'm not going to do any research. It's just something you definitely should talk to a lawyer about.

sheepdogs
6/26/2013, 01:10 PM
My house is total electric and heating the home via an electric furnace is going to be more expensive than other methods such that this will be where most of the expense lies. It costs me roughly at least two to three times, if not more, during the winter as compared to the summer months electric expenditures.

East Coast Bias
6/26/2013, 01:16 PM
I think it would be funny if Vet puts Mid on retainer........

olevetonahill
6/26/2013, 01:51 PM
I am with Mid on this one lawyer up or buy from someone else if you can. For your purposes gas is probably "better" a full size electric stove is going to require a 220v setup I think, that would be a lot of electricty to pull of the gen. or battery pack.

I have Rural lectric NOW.so Its no big deal, And Im perfectly capable of running my one wire and Plugs for it If i decide to go that way.

Not necessarily.

I'm not getting into specifics and I'm not going to do any research. It's just something you definitely should talk to a lawyer about.

Matlock are you talkin about that 2 year Civil deal Deal?

The thing is This is a small community and I'd just as soon avoid any Major hassle's over this. Dude lost his son Late last year in a Car wreck. Not my Prob but Still feel for him .

olevetonahill
6/26/2013, 01:53 PM
I think it would be funny if Vet puts Mid on retainer........

Heh, I love him like the Little bastard son I never knew. :glee:

rock on sooner
6/26/2013, 02:01 PM
I have Rural lectric NOW.so Its no big deal, And Im perfectly capable of running my one wire and Plugs for it If i decide to go that way.

The thing is This is a small community and I'd just as soon avoid any Major hassle's over this. Dude lost his son Late last year in a Car wreck. Not my Prob but Still feel for him .

Just wonderin out loud here, be interested to know if this
guy is doing to others what he's tryin ta do to you.....

Midtowner
6/26/2013, 02:05 PM

Thing about small towns is if this guy's putting the srcrews to you, you probably aren't alone. I had a cousin who used to work for an insurance defense firm who had a huge personal injury case in Marietta. It came on for jury trial. She was the only non-local there. Basically, the entire town showed up because they tended to think the plaintiff was a jerk and wanted to see him lose (and he did). Small towns, at least from what I know, appreciate justice probably even more than we do in the big towns.

It could be a statute of limitations issue, it could be a lot of things. That's why I think you ought to go talk to someone just to see how iron clad this guy's argument is. Not trying to be a jerk here, but I'd have to be an idiot to give real concrete legal advice to folks on the internet about facts I'm not 100% sure of. Bring all the contracts and whatnot to a local attorney and let them read the tea leaves for you. If you'll PM me, I can give you the name of a decent Idabel lawyer.

olevetonahill
6/26/2013, 02:11 PM
Thing about small towns is if this guy's putting the srcrews to you, you probably aren't alone. I had a cousin who used to work for an insurance defense firm who had a huge personal injury case in Marietta. It came on for jury trial. She was the only non-local there. Basically, the entire town showed up because they tended to think the plaintiff was a jerk and wanted to see him lose (and he did). Small towns, at least from what I know, appreciate justice probably even more than we do in the big towns.

It could be a statute of limitations issue, it could be a lot of things. That's why I think you ought to go talk to someone just to see how iron clad this guy's argument is. Not trying to be a jerk here, but I'd have to be an idiot to give real concrete legal advice to folks on the internet about facts I'm not 100% sure of. Bring all the contracts and whatnot to a local attorney and let them read the tea leaves for you. If you'll PM me, I can give you the name of a decent Idabel lawyer.

That would be nice IF i lived in or around Idabel. But I have 2 very good friends that are attorneys HERE.
Like I said Im not wanting to go to court or anything else. Just Thinkin Go Total Lectric and do away with Propane . Then let him do what ever he wants to try.

Midtowner
6/26/2013, 02:28 PM
Good luck with it then.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/26/2013, 02:41 PM
You should gay marry him.

Free propane.

lubbocksooner
6/26/2013, 02:56 PM

If that is the case then it is just personal cooking preference and such. We went all electric partially because of the discount that comes with it but mainly because I hate messing with gas lines. Every other house that I have lived in has gas and the lines leaked at some point. We used geothermal for the heat/AC so we would only have used it for water heaters and cooking. The discount takes care of the price difference. Also we have a basement so any leak would have eventually settled in there. Again not something I wanted to worry about.

Good Luck.

olevetonahill
6/26/2013, 06:00 PM
If that is the case then it is just personal cooking preference and such. We went all electric partially because of the discount that comes with it but mainly because I hate messing with gas lines. Every other house that I have lived in has gas and the lines leaked at some point. We used geothermal for the heat/AC so we would only have used it for water heaters and cooking. The discount takes care of the price difference. Also we have a basement so any leak would have eventually settled in there. Again not something I wanted to worry about.

Good Luck.

Discount?
Should I call the Co-Op?

SoonerorLater
6/26/2013, 07:25 PM
Total electric vs propane. I would say the cost is going to be pretty equal in the long run. Both propane and electric are about the most expensive option for heat, water heater and cooking. I guess natural gas is not an option? Of course retrofitting what you have now to work electric is another consideration entirely.

olevetonahill
6/26/2013, 07:30 PM
Total electric vs propane. I would say the cost is going to be pretty equal in the long run. Both propane and electric are about the most expensive option for heat, water heater and cooking. I guess natural gas is not an option? Of course retrofitting what you have now to work electric is another consideration entirely.

Heat is My main concern, I have a Pellet stove for the really cold days, But have use a wall mounted Propane heater for the Milder days.

Not sure what I would replace that with.

OULenexaman
6/26/2013, 10:49 PM
My house is total electric and heating the home via an electric furnace is going to be more expensive than other methods such that this will be where most of the expense lies. It costs me roughly at least two to three times, if not more, during the winter as compared to the summer months electric expenditures. this right here is the truth. WAY more in the winter..not to mention the hot water heater. Total electric is a ****ing joke

olevetonahill
6/26/2013, 11:40 PM
this right here is the truth. WAY more in the winter..not to mention the hot water heater. Total electric is a ****ing joke

I have an "On Demand" water heater so thats a very small cost.

Being as I have mostly cooked with gas all my life so far Thats what I think I would have a Prob with.

lubbocksooner
6/27/2013, 07:33 AM
Discount?
Should I call the Co-Op?

I would, my discount is around 15%. Heating with electricty is more expensive as others have said but if you can get a discount it takes some of the bite out of it. We set our house up with that in mind and have done pretty well on keeping our utilities down. Whether or not we have made back our money we spent on extra/different insulation and other things I don't know.

cleller
6/27/2013, 07:33 AM
When we bought this place in 1999 there was an old dilapidated house with a 500 gallon propane tank out here. The tank was in decent shape and showed half full of propane.

I called one of the local companies to ask if they bought these tanks. The lady quickly jumped on that "its probably ours, where is it?" routine. I stalled somehow. No one had been living in that house for over two years, and I'd never heard of any rental agreements. I held onto a couple more years then sold the thing.

Sounds like a boondoggle. I'm with the others that say if you are renting this, why haven't you paid before, and where is the agreement? I cooked with gas at just one place for a short time, and really liked it much better than electric, so I'd bet you'd miss it.

Electric heating and water heating is expensive. We have it, but only because of the geothermal system. In summer, the geothermal produces hot water thru the a/c, so that helps. In winter we use primarily the woodstove, so we don't use the heater. I know you've got that pellet stove, though.

Anyone else around to buy propane from? When we built the house in 2009 propane was so high, I didn't even bother to plumb the house for it, and now wish I had, just to have the option later.

lubbocksooner
6/27/2013, 07:35 AM
this right here is the truth. WAY more in the winter..not to mention the hot water heater. Total electric is a ****ing joke

Depends on what type of heater you are using. We put in a geothermal and our winter bills are about the same as summer. Part of that is where you keep the thermostat set.

olevetonahill
6/27/2013, 07:44 AM
When we bought this place in 1999 there was an old dilapidated house with a 500 gallon propane tank out here. The tank was in decent shape and showed half full of propane.

I called one of the local companies to ask if they bought these tanks. The lady quickly jumped on that "its probably ours, where is it?" routine. I stalled somehow. No one had been living in that house for over two years, and I'd never heard of any rental agreements. I held onto a couple more years then sold the thing.

Sounds like a boondoggle. I'm with the others that say if you are renting this, why haven't you paid before, and where is the agreement? I cooked with gas at just one place for a short time, and really liked it much better than electric, so I'd bet you'd miss it.

Electric heating and water heating is expensive. We have it, but only because of the geothermal system. In summer, the geothermal produces hot water thru the a/c, so that helps. In winter we use primarily the woodstove, so we don't use the heater. I know you've got that pellet stove, though.

Anyone else around to buy propane from? When we built the house in 2009 propane was so high, I didn't even bother to plumb the house for it, and now wish I had, just to have the option later.

Yea , Theres 3 or 4 different company's I can buy from. But with this guy claiming Im rentin They may not sell to me.

I may Just buy another tank and tell him to shove this one up his *** and Tell every one I know what a dick he is.

cleller
6/27/2013, 08:18 AM
I sold that 500 gallon tank (close to half full) to a guy starting up a small church for $300. So I'm either a sucker for selling it so cheap, or a heel for taking money from a preacher.

Breadburner
6/27/2013, 08:26 AM
250 gallon tank on Craigslist for 150......

Jacie
6/27/2013, 09:25 AM
When an ice storm in 1998 knocked out power to my cute little house in the country for several days, the propane stove is what enabled us to stay warm. I'd keep cooking with gas.

olevetonahill
6/27/2013, 09:43 AM
When an ice storm in 1998 knocked out power to my cute little house in the country for several days, the propane stove is what enabled us to stay warm. I'd keep cooking with gas.

Yea, I'm remembering 18 days here in 2000 with out Lectric.