PDA

View Full Version : Monday poll: Bob Stoops' next national championship

badger
6/24/2013, 02:29 PM
You only had to wait till year 2 for his first national championship.

How long do you predict the wait will be for championship 2?

3 days of anonymous voting!

yermom
6/24/2013, 02:50 PM
where is the "at his next job" option?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/24/2013, 02:53 PM
I didn't vote, but am not very optimistic. Our recruiting has fallen back a bit(new coaches MIGHT make it better, though), and the SEC SEC SEC is on a tear, with LOTS of great recruits in that area, and several schools with very good coaches.

badger
6/24/2013, 03:37 PM
where is the "at his next job" option?
don't really care about other schools as far as football titles go. :)

i figured this poll could cure a bit of offseason boredom

rock on sooner
6/24/2013, 03:42 PM
Would like to have a "Next five seasons" choice, instead
of "not this season". It'll all depend, imo, if the players
buy into Mike's defense completely. Offense and special
teams will be fine. Defense DOES win championships,
offense sells tickets!

olevetonahill
6/24/2013, 03:51 PM
If Lessmilage can Back into one at LSU with 2 losses then we Can damn sure win another THIS year.

rock on sooner
6/24/2013, 04:15 PM
If Lessmilage can Back into one at LSU with 2 losses then we Can damn sure win another THIS year.

Welp, ya already said that we'd be undefeated and that was yer
opinion unless we lost er sumpin lik that!:excitement:

SoonerStormchaser
6/24/2013, 04:24 PM
I don't think he'll ever win another one...because I don't think he'll make the personnel/scheme changes needed to win one.

olevetonahill
6/24/2013, 04:26 PM
I don't think he'll ever win another one...because I don't think he'll make the personnel/scheme changes needed to win one.

Ya but yer just a Navigator, WTF do YOU know?

MyT Oklahoma
6/24/2013, 09:00 PM
Thank God there are a few other people left around here who have some faith in Bob as I do.

I hear the doubters loud and clear and I don't fault you for your opinions.

Only time will tell and we shall see.

thecrimsoncrusader
6/25/2013, 06:14 AM
The past two seasons, Coach Stoops has finally shown the will to make changes. I think a combination of moving to mobile QBs and making changes on defense will get Oklahoma where it needs to be again with a BCS championship win within the next 5 years.

Vulnerables and Shipp failures left Mike Stoops in a very bad place that he will have to climb out of, but fortunately, that process starts this season. I'm not sold on Kish though, but that's another story. And Oklahoma isn't focusing on 6'5" and 200lb.+ receivers just for the heck of it of late, they're looking to get more physical across the board in the running game.

thecrimsoncrusader
6/25/2013, 06:17 AM

He just did in this off-season.

SoonerStormchaser
6/25/2013, 07:01 AM

Not much...that's why I do what I do for a living...they refuse to give me REAL responsibility over an airplane.

Ruf/Nek7
6/25/2013, 07:49 AM
All that is left for Bob to do to prove he is willing to make the necessary changes: FIRE KISH! That guy isn't worth the charmin he wipes his *** with.

C&CDean
6/25/2013, 09:33 AM
All that is left for Bob to do to prove he is willing to make the necessary changes: FIRE KISH! That guy isn't worth the charmin he wipes his *** with.

And this will guarantee another NC? Sheez. Some of y'all need help.

He'll win one if the Jimmies and Joes are good enough. That's it. Well that, and a wee bit o' Sooner Magic. Like a Torrance Marshall interception for a TD when the game was pretty much lost. That's what wins NCs, not firing coach XX.

thecrimsoncrusader
6/25/2013, 09:55 AM
And this will guarantee another NC? Sheez. Some of y'all need help.

He'll win one if the Jimmies and Joes are good enough. That's it. Well that, and a wee bit o' Sooner Magic. Like a Torrance Marshall interception for a TD when the game was pretty much lost. That's what wins NCs, not firing coach XX.

There was still 7 minutes and 42 seconds in that game at the time of the pick and ATM was at mid-field and Farris didn't even complete 50% of his passes on the day. On top of that, Oklahoma's offense also got on track in the second half offensively. It was a great play and deservedly belongs in Sooner lore, but the game was far from over even before that play occurred.

C&CDean
6/25/2013, 10:32 AM
There was still 7 minutes and 42 seconds in that game at the time of the pick and ATM was at mid-field and Farris didn't even complete 50% of his passes on the day. On top of that, Oklahoma's offense also got on track in the second half offensively. It was a great play and deservedly belongs in Sooner lore, but the game was far from over even before that play occurred.

You obviously didn't watch the game live. They pwned us that day. Going back and looking up stats from games that happened while you were ****tin yellow doesn't mean dick. How about the 4 straight passes Derrick Strait broke up at the end of the game against OSU? A 5' something player guarding a 6'4" tight end? Huge.

Players win championships by making plays at critical times. Coaches just put them in the position to do it.

Seamus
6/25/2013, 11:24 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh0F41AvO_Q

badger
6/25/2013, 11:45 AM
Why did I ever quit doing these?

Remember last year when I made you all decide which Heisman statue you liked best. Ahhh, sweet Internet torture. Waaaahhh, I love all of them! Sam's statue sucks! Why can't I vote for more than one?!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

ouwasp
6/25/2013, 11:51 AM
It's gonna take Sooner Magic to win #8... and there's no predicting Sooner Magic.

thecrimsoncrusader
6/25/2013, 12:11 PM
You obviously didn't watch the game live. They pwned us that day. Going back and looking up stats from games that happened while you were ****tin yellow doesn't mean dick. How about the 4 straight passes Derrick Strait broke up at the end of the game against OSU? A 5' something player guarding a 6'4" tight end? Huge.

Players win championships by making plays at critical times. Coaches just put them in the position to do it.

I most certainly did watch the game live and in person. You're obviously too old to have a good memory as ATM was up 17-10 at half-time and Oklahoma outscored ATM 25-14 in the 2nd half. There wasn't an owning from a mathematical standpoint or reality standpoint. All they can beat their chest on that day is when Rocky and co. were trying to strip the ball on Jamaar Toombs' 27 yard touchdown run instead of just making the tackle.

And you apparently don't realize what can happen in just a few minutes in the game of football. There is no evidence at all that Oklahoma loses that game if Marshall doesn't get that pick six. There was plenty of time left and OU was gaining the momentum with the two TDs scored by Q in the 4th quarter and generally outplaying ATM in the second half.

C&CDean
6/25/2013, 12:24 PM
yeah, ok. We had them licked all game. Laugher in fact.

NormanPride
6/25/2013, 12:32 PM
I notice dean didn't fight the "old" moniker...

And I was there, too. We flipped the momentum on that play. Yeah we were doing well in the second half, but we were in a hole to start it and needed a spark.

C&CDean
6/25/2013, 12:38 PM
I notice dean didn't fight the "old" moniker...

And I was there, too. We flipped the momentum on that play. Yeah we were doing well in the second half, but we were in a hole to start it and needed a spark.

Why fight it? It is what it is.

Alls I remember about that day was thinking "oh crap, oh crap, here we go, we're gonna **** up a perfect season against these maroon ****wads" Then after TM scores I'm thinking "oh crap, oh crap, we're gonna **** up a perfect interception return against these maroon ****wads" It was as nervous as I had been that entire season - except for the first 3/4 of the 63-14 game against whorn. Alls I kept thinking was "we were up by a couple scores last year and they came back and beat us. Don't let up, please dear lord don't let up" Q is one of my all-time favorite Sooners because of his performance that wonderful day in October.

thecrimsoncrusader
6/25/2013, 12:39 PM
yeah, ok. We had them licked all game. Laugher in fact.

Glad you got it sorted out. :)

XingTheRubicon
6/25/2013, 12:51 PM
Torrance Marshall stretching up to pull that low trajectory pass out of the sky and Q highstepping over the goal line from 12 out in the NC game makes my balls tingle. Even now, typing this, my ball are tingling.

BoomerJack
6/25/2013, 07:13 PM
I voted that Stoops won't win one in next five years because I think he's gonna move on before then.

olevetonahill
6/25/2013, 07:33 PM
I voted that Stoops won't win one in next five years because I think he's gonna move on before then.

Move on to what?

BoomerJack
6/25/2013, 08:07 PM
Move on to what?

To just about anything at which he won't have to rely on a bunch of 19-21 year-old kids' success at blocking/passing/catching to insure his getting a paycheck. It could very well be a pro job but I doubt another college job.

After five years will be about 20 years as a head coach. I just think he'll will have a belly full of it and with a bunch of $$$$ in the bank, the kids grown and hopefully gone, he and his lovely wife will want to do something else.

8timechamps
6/25/2013, 08:38 PM

That time is long gone. If Stoops ever wanted to go to the NFL, he'd have done that already. If he'd ever wanted to coach at another school, he'd have done that already, he's pretty much had his pick of all of them.

At this point, he's not leaving OU to coach another school, and I don't think he ever has a desire to coach in the NFL (and when was the last time an NFL team hired a rookie coach over 50?). Stoops has earned something at OU, that coaches at every level of the game strive to achieve, the right to coach at one place until you're ready to retire. Bob will be at OU until he's ready to leave coaching, and not a minute earlier.

olevetonahill
6/25/2013, 10:43 PM
To just about anything at which he won't have to rely on a bunch of 19-21 year-old kids' success at blocking/passing/catching to insure his getting a paycheck. It could very well be a pro job but I doubt another college job.

After five years will be about 20 years as a head coach. I just think he'll will have a belly full of it and with a bunch of $$$$ in the bank, the kids grown and hopefully gone, he and his lovely wife will want to do something else.

Sorry , I disagree. I believe Bob will Be with us for a LONG dayum time. He may not Be Head Football Coach, But HE will be involved.

olevetonahill
6/25/2013, 10:45 PM
That time is long gone. If Stoops ever wanted to go to the NFL, he'd have done that already. If he'd ever wanted to coach at another school, he'd have done that already, he's pretty much had his pick of all of them.

At this point, he's not leaving OU to coach another school, and I don't think he ever has a desire to coach in the NFL (and when was the last time an NFL team hired a rookie coach over 50?). Stoops has earned something at OU, that coaches at every level of the game strive to achieve, the right to coach at one place until you're ready to retire. Bob will be at OU until he's ready to leave coaching, and not a minute earlier.

heh, Shoulda read yer response before posting. But Like I said if Bob aint coach here He may just replace JC.