PDA

View Full Version : SCOTUS on Affirmative Action: You decide, lower court!

badger
6/24/2013, 10:30 AM
7-1 decision. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/High_court_sends_back_Texas_race_based_plan/20130624_13_0_WASHIN133559?subj=298)

The Obama administration, 57 of the Fortune 100 companies and large numbers of public and private colleges that feared a broad ruling against affirmative action backed the Texas program. Among the benefits of affirmative action, the administration said, is that it creates a pipeline for a diverse officer corps that it called "essential to the military's operational readiness." In 2003, the court cited the importance of a similar message from military leaders.

I really didn't mind OU's emphasis on diversity when I went there in the early to mid aughts. The foreign students on our floor were lots of fun. A Japanese student told me she decided to go there because her older brother said they had a good football team (she had no idea what "football" was).

I have heard that it is near-impossible to get into UT if you aren't a top 10 percenter (or now, a top 8 percenter). Maybe it's an evil plot to make more kids attend Texas Tech :P

okie52
6/24/2013, 11:58 AM
About 17 years ago I was dating a woman whose son was a genius. As a white male, he made 33 on his ACT. It earned him a partial scholarship to OU. Had he been a white female he only needed 32 to get a full scholarship. As I recall a Black male was required to get a 30 and a Black female a 28. I think American Indian female was only required to get a 26 (could be wrong on those numbers).

The kid retook his ACT, got a 34 and a full scholarship...but what a travesty.

rock on sooner
6/24/2013, 12:20 PM
Kinda saw this one coming...next big un will be Meatchicken's..
don't think that one will be kicked back to the lower courts for
review.....

Midtowner
6/24/2013, 12:20 PM
You have to wonder about the efficacy of ending racial discrimination by discriminating racially.