PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get their internet thru Dish Network?

cleller
6/23/2013, 10:27 AM
In August our contract with Dish ends. We watch very little off Dish, mostly do Netflix streaming. My bigger worry is someday exhausting the quality content on Netflix. It would be a hassle to put up an antennae to get the news stations, but we'd miss little else.

We live in a rural area, but have decent DSL from the local phone company. It is pretty high though. The cost for the line (which we use only for internet) plus DSL is $78/month. We have the "silver" plan, and get downloads speeds of around 3 Mbps.

Dish offers internet packages also, but theirs has some type of data crap tacked on. As in, 10 GB anytime data + 10Gb bonus data. Since I don't have an Iphone or texting, I don't know what all the data stuff is.

Basically wondering if anyone has DishNet, and how they like it.

yermom
6/23/2013, 10:31 AM
if you stream a lot, 10-20GBs a month isn't all that much

Netflix says that it's 1-2GB an hour depending on SD vs HD

i'm thinking i couldn't live out in the sticks unless cable coverage got better... anxiously awaiting Google Fiber as it is

olevetonahill
6/23/2013, 10:37 AM
Get ya one of these, My buddy lives in Canute and gets all the channels he wants
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31otUxiyxgL._SY300_.jp

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT1650R-Digital-Amplified-Antenna/dp/B0027FGW3K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372001417&sr=8-1&keywords=rca+antenna

As far as Internet goes I have Viasat thru Wildblue Normally its pretty fast right now its slow as hell runs me about 65 a month

SoonerorLater
6/23/2013, 12:02 PM
In most cases Satellite Internet is going to be a a last choice for people especially if you steam a lot of video. Streaming a Netflix movie with standard definition will require something like one gig per hour. You can drop your video quality down and squeeze more movies but you still run up against a limit at some point. You could view 20 hours worth of Netflix movies at a good quality level. In other words 10-12 movies per month and you can start subtracting from there if you go to YouTube or anything like that.

To me the DSL @ 3 meg would work better for more people even if you have to put up with some buffering on occasion. I've never had Satellite Internet for the reasons above. I know people who have and the reviews aren't good. Almost all of them would trade for DSL in a minute if they could.

cleller
6/23/2013, 12:59 PM
I figured this "data" stuff would be the harpoon issue. We've been very happy with our DSL, reliable all the time, and it still works during downpours, of course.

The whole tv antennae is another effed up issue. I had a cheapo multi-directional one that I used in the travel trailer I lived in out here while building the house. Worked great, could get OKC or Tulsa stations. (I'm roughly halfway between)

Once the house was built I tried it, (outside on a pole, as before) and got nothing. I then got a fair sized directional antennae, but had to choose to point it at either OKC or Tulsa. It was constantly getting blown around, and generally unreliable to the point we got Dish.

If we can put an HDTV robot on Mars, why can't we have a small multidirectional HDTV antennae that works on earth? I may try the one Vet recommended, but I've had bad luck with anything but directional antennas. I see Canute is way out west. Pretty flat all the way to OKC that way. Lots of hills out here.