PDA

View Full Version : Attention Old Farts with Netflix

6/22/2013, 08:00 AM
Classic Albums: The Band

This is an acceptional documentary about a group I never really paid attention to. Amazing talent from every player. There is some footage of Garth Hudson playing completely different keyboard leads with his left and right hands.

I've played piano as long as I can remember, and seeing that was amazing. He attributed his mad skills to playing in his uncle's funeral parlor as a kid.

Also, if you don't like Levon Helm after watching this, you have no soul.

SoonerStormchaser
6/22/2013, 09:57 AM
Never was a fan of the Band...

6/22/2013, 10:56 AM
Nor am I. I just read somewhere that it was a good documentary and gave it a shot. I didn't know a thing about them before. Now, at least I can appreciate them when I hear them on the radio.

picasso
6/22/2013, 01:43 PM
Never was a fan of the Band...
That's expected given your age.

I saw Levon on tv the other day with Chuck Yeager.

cleller
6/22/2013, 04:22 PM
Glad you reminded me. I knew I'd seen a post somewhere on here about Netflix that caught my eye, and was just coming back to check. Somewhere I've got a dvd burn of The Authorized Biography, which I thought was good. Its up on Youtube.

Also for fans there are two decent books about The Band out there, This Wheel's on Fire by Levon Helm and Across the Great Divide by Barney Hoskyns. The second one in more in depth, I think. Even for just the casual fan both are very interesting, as these guys came thru all stages of the rock n roll saga.
Their mentor, Ronnie Hawkins was a real piece of work, but never got much press.

Next week maybe we can talk about Beach Boys documentaries. Brian Wilson is a great subject.

picasso
6/22/2013, 08:21 PM
Oooh yeah. Pet Sounds...

SanJoaquinSooner
6/22/2013, 08:57 PM
Take a load off Annie/Fanny ....