PDA

View Full Version : Another lie from congress?

okie52
6/20/2013, 11:56 AM
Senate Immigration Deal Doubles Number of Border Agents, Builds 700-Mile Fence
Thursday, 20 Jun 2013 12:17 PM

A flood of new federal agents and high-tech surveillance devices would be dispatched to the southwestern U.S. border with Mexico under a deal aimed at winning passage of an immigration bill in the U.S. Senate, congressional sources said on Thursday.

The proposal, which could be formally offered as an amendment to the sprawling immigration bill as early as Thursday, would double the overall number of U.S. border patrol agents, according to senior Senate Democratic aides.

That would mean assigning 21,000 new officers to the southwestern border in an attempt to shut down future illegal crossings by foreigners.

The bipartisan bill, which was crafted by a group of eight senators and is supported by President Barack Obama, currently calls for adding 3,500 Customs and Border Protection officers by 2017.

The plan also calls for building 700 miles (1,127 km) of border fencing or walls, on top of the 650 miles (1,046 km) already constructed, Senate aides said.

At a price tag of around $40 billion to $50 billon, the amendment, if passed, would represent a potentially massive investment of federal resources in securing the border.

While the legislation would authorize these security programs, it would be up to Congress in the future to actually appropriate the money for them.

The deal represents a significant win for Republicans who have been clamoring for tougher border security measures. But Democrats could also claim a victory in fending off Republican attempts to delay legalizing 11 million undocumented residents until new border security measures were in place.

However, one of the aides said that the newly legalized residents would not get "green cards" allowing permanent resident status until the border security measures were in place. Gaining permanent resident status would take 10 years under the bill, giving the federal government a decade to install the added border manpower and equipment.

During debate of the bill by the Senate Judiciary Committee last month, some lawmakers were skeptical that such a huge investment would be a smart use of federal dollars and they questioned whether 700 miles of new fencing was even practical.

But supporters of the legislation are hoping to capture the votes of more undecided Republican senators with this deal, improving chances of a major rewrite of immigration law in the more conservative House of Representatives, which is controlled by Republicans.

Besides the additional agents and fencing, the measure also calls for employing large amounts of unmanned aerial drones, radars and other surveillance devices to catch or deter illegal crossings.

The plan brought a harsh reaction from at least one civil liberties and human right group.

Christian Ramirez, director of the Southern Border Communities Coalition, said the huge buildup in agents, surveillance hardware and fencing "is expensive and extreme."

In a telephone interview with Reuters, Ramirez expressed fears that adding so many more armed officers would compound problems already being experienced involving fatal shootings of bystanders on either side of the border.

"The current force on the U.S.-Mexico border is already excessive. What makes matters worse is that there are no checks and balances" on border patrol activities, Ramirez said.

Border patrol officials were not immediately available for comment.

© 2013 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

I see juan and kanto's spokesperson doesn't like the newly proposed border security...she doesn't even like the old porous security. She shouldn't worry since congress would still have to approve the funding of it...another boondoggle on the American public.

okie52
6/20/2013, 12:19 PM
Ted Cruz: Immigration Bill Provides 'Immediate Legalization'

Thursday, 20 Jun 2013 09:04 AM
By Courtney Coren

Sen. Ted Cruz expressed frustration Wednesday at he what he called the Democrats' premature push to get the immigration reform bill passed by trying to pressure undecided Republicans, saying it won't pass the House even if it does get through the Senate.

"There are 20 Republican senators who are waffling on the fence, and the Gang of Eight is going on TV bragging that they think they can get 70 votes in the Senate and use that to bludgeon the House of Representatives," the Texas Republican told a tea party crowd that came to Capitol Hill to rally against the bill.

"The Democrats are all behaving as a partisan block, and you've got a lot of Republicans who are listening to the political consultants in D.C.," added Cruz, who was elected last year with strong tea party support.

Cruz also expressed frustration to Politico about the lack of balance between Democratic and Republican proposals in the Senate bill.

"The Gang of Eight's bill provides immediate legalization, and then possibly, maybe some border security sometime in the future," he told Politico. "The Gang of Eight bill is utterly toothless with regard to securing the border."

He seemed to agree with House Republicans who say the Senate bill will be "dead on arrival" when it hits that chamber.

"They've got the votes to pass and force this thing through the Senate, but as currently written this bill will not pass the House," he added. "If the objective is to fix the problem, the Democrats have to be willing to compromise."

okie52
6/20/2013, 12:25 PM
Senate Defeats Cornyn Border Security Amendment as Deal Reached
Thursday, 20 Jun 2013 01:15 PM

The U.S. Senate rejected a Republican border-security proposal as senators said that bipartisan negotiators agreed to an alternative way to strengthen those provisions in immigration legislation.

By a 54-43 vote, the Senate defeated an amendment from Texas Senator John Cornyn that would require the government to show it is apprehending 90 percent of the people illegally crossing the border from Mexico before undocumented immigrants now in the U.S. could gain permanent legal residency. Democrats and some Republicans said Cornyn’s plan would have scuttled bipartisan support for the legislation.

Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy, a Vermont Democrat, urged lawmakers to oppose the amendment, saying “it imposes new, unrealistic” benchmarks for border security that would have to be reached before undocumented immigrants could become citizens.

Before the vote, Republican Senators John McCain of Arizona and John Hoeven of North Dakota said a group of bipartisan negotiators reached an agreement on a compromise to enhance border security in the bill.

The plan would double the size of the U.S. Border Patrol by adding 20,000 agents and would require 700 miles of fencing at the U.S.-Mexico border, said two Senate aides, who sought anonymity to describe the private talks. It also would deploy unmanned aerial drones and other added resources at the border.

“What we’re trying to do is put in place measures that to any reasonable person would be an overwhelming effort to secure our border, short of shooting everyone who comes across the border.” South Carlina Senator Lindsey Graham, a Republican co- sponsor of the bill, said yesterday. “If we pull it off, it will be the most dramatic effort I’ve seen since I’ve been in Congress to secure the border.”

Independent Certification

One Senate aide said today’s bipartisan proposal would require independent certification that the additional border- security resources were in place before undocumented immigrants could receive permanent legal status.

All employers would have to be using an E-verify system to check workers’ legal status, and a visa entry and exit system would have to be in place at all airports and seaports, the aide said. The aide didn’t describe how the independent certification would work.

Cornyn said today on the Senate floor that he was reserving judgment on the compromise proposal until he could review the details. Still, he said doubling the number of border security agents would improve the bill.

“That’s a substantial movement in terms of boots on the ground,” he said. “I’m looking forward to seeing the language that’s being proposed.”

Permanent Residency

The Senate bill, S. 744, would allow undocumented immigrants to gain permanent residency, known as a green card, when the government has a “substantially operational” plan for achieving a 90 percent apprehension rate at the U.S. border.

Graham and McCain, also a Republican co-sponsor of the bill, opposed Cornyn’s proposal and have been negotiating the alternative with Democrats and with Republican Senator Bob Corker of Tennessee and Hoeven.

Their efforts got a boost today when Senator Mark Kirk, an Illinois Republican, praised the new border-security proposal and said he would be prepared to vote for the broader immigration plan if it is adopted. He was one of 15 senators, all Republicans, who voted June 11 against taking up the bill.

“This bipartisan compromise will restore the people’s trust in our ability to control the border and bring 525,000 people in Illinois out of the shadows,” Kirk said in a statement.

‘Best Chance’

“My sense is we have the best chance we’ve ever had to pass meaningful reform,” Corker said today in an interview on MSNBC, adding, “Our efforts are making something happen.’

Beyond the border-control debate, Republican Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah is insisting on changes to the conditions under which undocumented immigrants could become U.S. citizens as the price for his support of the bill. Hatch has proposed prohibiting non-citizens who gain legal status from obtaining welfare benefits and requiring immigrants to pay back taxes to qualify for temporary legal status.

The Congressional Budget Office estimated June 18 that the Senate bill would reduce the federal budget deficit by about $175 billion over a decade and by $700 billion during the second 10 years after implementation. It said increased tax revenue from new U.S. residents would outpace growth in the demand for government services.

Republicans including Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky and Marco Rubio of Florida, one of the measure’s sponsors, have said they won’t support the Senate bill without more stringent border control.

Speaker Boehner

House Speaker John Boehner of Ohio met yesterday with members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus. Afterward, the group’s chairman, Texas Democrat Ruben Hinojosa, said ‘‘we will find a solution” to rewriting the federal law.

Another member of the caucus, Luis Gutierrez of Illinois, said, “We made strong headway towards resolving and fixing our broken immigration system.” Gutierrez, a Democrat, is a member of a bipartisan House group that plans to introduce a comprehensive immigration bill as soon as next week.

Boehner earlier this week called the Senate bill’s border- control provisions “laughable,” echoing other House Republicans’ stance that the measures should be strengthened. He said he won’t bring an immigration proposal to a vote unless it has the support of most Republicans in his chamber.

The Senate voted 61-37 yesterday against a proposal by Kentucky Republican Rand Paul that would have allowed the citizenship path to begin only after a vote by Congress certifying that the U.S. border had been secured. It would have required the completion of border fencing within five years.

© Copyright 2013 Bloomberg News. All rights reserved.

okie52
6/20/2013, 12:29 PM
Rep. Steve King Hosts Marathon Immigration News Conference

Wednesday, 19 Jun 2013 05:02 PM
By Andrea Billups

Rep. Steve King hosted a marathon six-hour news conference Wednesday on the Capitol lawn to protest the proposed pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants under debate by lawmakers.

His lengthy protest provided a loud forum for not only King but many other outraged citizens who showed up at the press conference not only in solidarity over his no-amnesty immigration position but to voice opposition to the recent IRS targeting of conservative groups.

A colorful throng carrying signs and chanting converged in Washington to let Congress know they are angry about a multitude of issues including what they see as a growing climate of government overreach, according to Business Insider.

About 300 people were in the crowd by 9 a.m., the Washington Post reported, as King, one of the most outspoken critics of the current immigration bill, was flanked by Republican House colleagues Randy Weber of Texas, Matt Salmon of Arizona, Paul Broun of Georgia, and Louie Gohmert of Texas.

As the crowd grew throughout the day — including many tea party groups, veterans, and older voters — Gohmert spoke to the mounting frustration over the direction the country was headed.

"The Bible talks about there will come a time when right is wrong and wrong is right. There are some of us who have scratched our bald heads . . . wondering where are we going," Gohmert told the crowd.

"I think we have seen some answered prayer, because what has been in the dark is coming to light. We have seen with some of these government agencies, including Homeland Security, what they have wanted to keep in the dark has been coming to light," Gohmert said.

© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Just another one of those damn GOP immigrant haters.

KantoSooner
6/20/2013, 12:45 PM
Hey Juan, Since you and I are, according to Okie, joinied at the hip, maybe you can help me. My nephew just lost his GF and needs a new one (he's 22, so the need is immediate and, I'm sure, urgent). Your esposa looks like she probably has some nieces who'd fill the bill admirably. He lives in Tampa. Any candidates? He's 6'0", blond and blue eyed and even speaks very cute Norte school boy Spanish...complete with Cathtillian lithp! We could set up a chaperone date in D.F. if you've got something cooking.

Let's rock this border!

rock on sooner
6/20/2013, 12:54 PM
Just another one of those damn GOP immigrant haters.

Okie, King isn't just another one...he is the original one. He has
been anti-immigrant, legal or otherwise, since western Iowa sent
him to Washington. On top of that he champions English-only...
It's like he memorized TR's speech of 94 years ago that you posted.
Oh, and he said that Abu Ghraib was like college hazing...

okie52
6/20/2013, 12:58 PM
You got those kind of conservative districts in Iowa Rock On?

I champion English as the national language...I might like this guy. Don't want to get him confused with that New Yorker peter king.

diverdog
6/20/2013, 12:58 PM
Hey Juan, Since you and I are, according to Okie, joinied at the hip, maybe you can help me. My nephew just lost his GF and needs a new one (he's 22, so the need is immediate and, I'm sure, urgent). Your esposa looks like she probably has some nieces who'd fill the bill admirably. He lives in Tampa. Any candidates? He's 6'0", blond and blue eyed and even speaks very cute Norte school boy Spanish...complete with Cathtillian lithp! We could set up a chaperone date in D.F. if you've got something cooking.

Let's rock this border!

Screw that, I need a housekeeper.

rock on sooner
6/20/2013, 01:12 PM
You got those kind of conservative districts in Iowa Rock On?

I champion English as the national language...I might like this guy. Don't want to get him confused with that New Yorker peter king.

The western district in Iowa has 39 of the 99 counties and, for the
most part, is staunchly conservative, at least where Steve King is
concerned. The Dems have not been able to field a viable candidate
who had funding, until 2012 when he beat Christie Vilsack (wife of
Ag Sec Vilsack). She had money and name recognition but ran a
poor campaign...wouldn't take a stand or answer specific questions
until it was too late to undo the damage. I have talked with several
Dems from that district. The word used most often to describe him
is "embarrassing", but Pubs outnumber Dems almost 2 to 1.

You know, I think, for the most part, we already have English as a
national language but we have so MANY immigrants (legal type) that
the need for more languages is growing...e.g. we have a high school
about a mile from my home whose graduating class this year had
students from 36, thirty six!, different countries...a walk down the
hall is a walk through the United Nations general assembly.

You should Google Steve King and read some of the outrageous things
he has said. I'm sure you would not like him, at least, I fervently hope
so.

okie52
6/20/2013, 01:17 PM
92% of Americans speak English. There are many languages in the US but English is overwhelmingly the common denominator. Having a national language doesn't preclude anyone from being bilingual...in fact, most of our schools offer a variety of language courses (or at least they used to).

KantoSooner
6/20/2013, 01:46 PM
We're only going to NOT have English as a national language if and when All government offices are required to be multi-lingual. good luck with that. Meantime, there are circumstances when it just makes sense to allow local authorities to make their own decisions.
In Hawaii, for instance, camping permit applications are done in a variety of languages because it simply makes more sense to do it that way than to spend eons struggling through forms for visitors who are dropping tourist bucks. Likewise places with lots of legit foreign residents like DC or NYC. Multilingual drivers license forms? I've got no problem with that if the locals decide its the easist thing for them.
Again, I really don't get the high dungeon when you run into a guy who doesn't speak English so well. Cripes, I've run into people in Arkansas who were hardly verbal...and they thought they were speaking English. It would have been better in Ethopian sing language.

pphilfran
6/20/2013, 01:46 PM
The western district in Iowa has 39 of the 99 counties and, for the
most part, is staunchly conservative, at least where Steve King is
concerned. The Dems have not been able to field a viable candidate
who had funding, until 2012 when he beat Christie Vilsack (wife of
Ag Sec Vilsack). She had money and name recognition but ran a
poor campaign...wouldn't take a stand or answer specific questions
until it was too late to undo the damage. I have talked with several
Dems from that district. The word used most often to describe him
is "embarrassing", but Pubs outnumber Dems almost 2 to 1.

You know, I think, for the most part, we already have English as a
national language but we have so MANY immigrants (legal type) that
the need for more languages is growing...e.g. we have a high school
about a mile from my home whose graduating class this year had
students from 36, thirty six!, different countries...a walk down the
hall is a walk through the United Nations general assembly.

You should Google Steve King and read some of the outrageous things
he has said. I'm sure you would not like him, at least, I fervently hope
so.

I don't understand....why should we offer more and more language courses due to more and more languages being spoken in the US? Being bilingual is definitely a benefit to anyone...but if we are going to force someone to become bilingual it needs to be the immigrants....not US born citizens...

KantoSooner
6/20/2013, 01:47 PM
So our kids can understand their customers and maybe have decent jobs in a global economy.

pphilfran
6/20/2013, 01:51 PM
So our kids can understand their customers and maybe have decent jobs in a global economy.
How many languages do our kids need to learn?

OU68
6/20/2013, 01:56 PM
So Kanto - how's that universal translator from Star Trek coming along?

KantoSooner
6/20/2013, 02:00 PM
About one, in addition to English (and learning to speak English, really well, would come before a second language). Here would be my list:

Mandarin
Spanish
German
Arabic
Japanese
Turkish
Russian

**** Hindi, anyone who matters in India speaks English already.
French is not important in trade anymore.
Chinese dialects are nice, but we're talking functioinality here. Stick with Mandarin.
Turkish and you can limp along through a lot of Central Asia.
Arabic? Well, necessary evil for another 25 years or so.

Spanish, German and Russian are pretty self explanatory.

Others if you get an itch. Hungarian sounds cool and the food, women and liquor are wonderful, but, really, build a career focused on Hungary (for example)? A little limiting.

Unless you're a genius, two is about all you are going to be able to keep up with, so pick one. Hell, if all you learn to do is light conversation and know a smattering about the country's history, you'll be so far ahead of any other American ("Don't you have a MacDonald's around here?') they've ever seen that you'll be treated like a World Ambassador of Peace.

KantoSooner
6/20/2013, 02:02 PM
So Kanto - how's that universal translator from Star Trek coming along?

Her name is Lim Kim. Five languages and an MBA, working as a secretary in Kuala Lumpur. Swam five milles every morning, too. I was deeply in love but she was way too young.

rock on sooner
6/20/2013, 02:04 PM

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^ An example: I used to own/operate a small pack and
ship business...a Mail Boxes Etc. franchise...one of the many services offered was
a fax service..domestic and international. International faxing would normally go
to a dual function phone line...my fax machine would be answered by a human and
had to be manually switched over. I learned to say " I want to send a fax" in
Spanish, Japanese, Korean, German and Portuguese, the only one of which I now
remember is Spanish....use it or lose it type of thing. Being able to communicate
in languages other than English (American, too, there is a difference.) is more
important now than ever before.

OU68
6/20/2013, 02:10 PM
Her name is Lim Kim. Five languages and an MBA, working as a secretary in Kuala Lumpur. Swam five milles every morning, too. I was deeply in love but she was way too young.

Cute, but really, to rehash the old story "if you drive 4 hours in most European countries, you wind up in another country that speaks a different language. If you drive 4 hours in Texas you haven't even made it to the gate."

pphilfran
6/20/2013, 02:19 PM
Like I said, being bilingual is definitely a positive....

So my kid busts his butt and becomes fluent in Spanish....but he still can't interact with the Japanese or German costumers at the workplace....

It is a no brainer....11 million immigrants get to learn a second language and benefit themselves (and the US)....330 million current US citizens are not forced to learn a second language...

okie52
6/20/2013, 02:40 PM
Like I said, being bilingual is definitely a positive....

So my kid busts his butt and becomes fluent in Spanish....but he still can't interact with the Japanese or German costumers at the workplace....

It is a no brainer....11 million immigrants get to learn a second language and benefit themselves (and the US)....330 million current US citizens are not forced to learn a second language...

It should be a no brainer...but some struggle with it.

KantoSooner
6/20/2013, 03:33 PM
Cute, but really, to rehash the old story "if you drive 4 hours in most European countries, you wind up in another country that speaks a different language. If you drive 4 hours in Texas you haven't even made it to the gate."

Which is great if you own the ranch. If you're the Jett Rink character, you have to try a little harder. Or learn to smile really politely as your foreign boss comes to check the books at his American branch office.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/20/2013, 03:38 PM
It should be a no brainer...but some struggle with it.

Phil left out the 600 million Latin Americans who are potential customers in the global economy. 60% of them speak Spanish and 34% speak Portuguese. Did you know over a million Brazilians visit the U.S. each year as tourists? On average, each one spends $5000. Unfortunately, the tourism industry is badly losing market share because of our overly-bureaucratic and slow-moving tourist visa process.

Okie, if you truly believe the population should not increase, then the "no brainer" is to grow the economy by expanding exports.

When you stop growing, you die. Reagan and Clinton understood this.

pphilfran
6/20/2013, 04:03 PM
A second language is a benefit....

600 billion or 600 trillion Spanish speaking customers does not change fact the potential citizens should learn English....

pphilfran
6/20/2013, 04:10 PM
What does requiring citizenship candidates to learn English have to do with current citizens learning a second language?

If we require English for citizenship that doesn't mean that we still can't push citizens to become more bilingual

okie52
6/20/2013, 04:12 PM
Phil left out the 600 million Latin Americans who are potential customers in the global economy. 60% of them speak Spanish and 34% speak Portuguese. Did you know over a million Brazilians visit the U.S. each year as tourists? On average, each one spends $5000. Unfortunately, the tourism industry is badly losing market share because of our overly-bureaucratic and slow-moving tourist visa process.

Okie, if you truly believe the population should not increase, then the "no brainer" is to grow the economy by expanding exports.

When you stop growing, you die. Reagan and Clinton understood this.

Who says you can't speak to people in other countries in their own language? I'm sure not going to Brazil expecting the population to know English and if I planned an extended stay I would certainly try to grasp some Portuguese basics.

No problem in streamlining our visa process...want all of those tourist dollars. When Brazilians and other S. Americans come to the US they can have a great time unless it means that they think all Americans are going to speak portuguese or spanish. My sister in law is from Argentina and I plan on going with them to Buenos Aires this fall. I don't expect the population there to greet me in English...but I do have an interpreter with me.

Who is trying to reduce exports besides the dems? Certainly not me.

cleller
6/20/2013, 04:53 PM
A veces, la incapacidad para hablar el idioma de sus compañeros es un problema.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/20/2013, 05:31 PM
What does requiring citizenship candidates to learn English have to do with current citizens learning a second language?

If we require English for citizenship that doesn't mean that we still can't push citizens to become more bilingual

Teddy Roosevelt was quoted as saying there is room for only one language. If he meant to say, being bilinqual in English and one other language is a benefit, he failed to articulate that clearly.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/20/2013, 05:38 PM
I see juan and kanto's spokesperson doesn't like the newly proposed border security...she doesn't even like the old porous security. She shouldn't worry since congress would still have to approve the funding of it...another boondoggle on the American public.

I don't like it either. No mention of biometric border kiosks for real border security. And have Mastercard running them instead of gov't incompetents. They know how to keep track of people and how to follow the money. Gingrich was right about that.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/21/2013, 12:33 AM

Let's rock this border!

Not a large number of nieces of courting age. We have 3 nieces in Michoacán. This pic is about 4 years old. The oldest just finished nursing school in Morelia and is now doing her practical in a nearby town. I think the second oldest is now college age.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/poncaparker/P4160112.jpg

This niece lives here in California, still single and childless, at age 27. She already has a green card.
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/sanjoaquinsooner/Mari.jpg

Her younger sister, pictured below leading the pack in a high school cross country race, is now at a community college. Single and childless and a U.S. citizen by birth.
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/sanjoaquinsooner/AngelicaM.jpg

OU68
6/21/2013, 08:15 AM
Which is great if you own the ranch. If you're the Jett Rink character, you have to try a little harder. Or learn to smile really politely as your foreign boss comes to check the books at his American branch office.

If I wind up in a call center, OK. If a foreigner takes over my company, OK. Look, I'm in IT - unless I want to run out and strike up a conversation with the neighborhood yard crew or roofers, there just isn't an opportunity to exercise my HS Spanish. I have nothing against, in fact I'm all for teaching other languages to our kids as early as possible. I'm just pointing out the reality of the "usefulness" of French/Italian/?? in this part of the country.

rock on sooner
6/21/2013, 09:35 AM
A veces, la incapacidad para hablar el idioma de sus compañeros es un problema.

Si, el problema es grande y creciente.

Soonerjeepman
6/21/2013, 03:27 PM
so...dems don't compromise and that's the GOP fault..

the congress folks want to pass a bill for the sake of passing a bill NOT to solve the problem..

got it~

okie52
6/21/2013, 03:46 PM

the congress folks want to pass a bill for the sake of passing a bill NOT to solve the problem..

got it~

See 1986

SanJoaquinSooner
6/21/2013, 05:04 PM

got it~

Apparently the donks are compromising. A new gov't jobs program for 20,000 pubs - meaning an agent on the southern border every 1000 feet 24/7. More fence. Mandatory e-verify for businesses with over 50 employees.

okie52
6/21/2013, 05:50 PM
Apparently the donks are compromising. A new gov't jobs program for 20,000 pubs - meaning an agent on the southern border every 1000 feet 24/7. More fence. Mandatory e-verify for businesses with over 50 employees.

Who guarantees funding for the boots on the ground, surveillance, fences, etc...? Napolitano, congress? I would merely point to the secure fence act of 2006 passed overwhelmingly by congress and signed by W that Napolitano stopped funding in 2010.

BTW- any of this guaranteed to happen before legal residency or pathway to citizenship?

SanJoaquinSooner
6/21/2013, 07:54 PM
Who guarantees funding for the boots on the ground, surveillance, fences, etc...? Napolitano, congress? I would merely point to the secure fence act of 2006 passed overwhelmingly by congress and signed by W that Napolitano stopped funding in 2010.

BTW- any of this guaranteed to happen before legal residency or pathway to citizenship?

The pub amendment is reported to require the increased number of guards, the fence, and the new technological toys are implemented before green cards are issued (after 10 year period). the only path to citizenship is through a green card.

okie52
6/22/2013, 06:38 AM
The amendment may say it but if isn't mandated by law and funded it will be meaningless....kinda like leaving anything to the discretion of DHS or Napolitano