PDA

View Full Version : Which iconic Canadian band had/has the BEST LEAD SINGER?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/19/2013, 03:31 PM
and why?

RUSH - Geddy Lee
STEPPENWOLF - John Kay
GUESS WHO - Burton Cummings

They're all superb, of course, and I guess it's hard not to vote for Geddy Lee, since they are still active. But, I think Burton Cummings, when his voice was still 100%, was a tough act to follow. John Kay was simply custom made for Rock and Roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zt5lWIf6jn4

Any other great Canadian bands/singer in their respective bands I've omitted?

pphilfran
6/19/2013, 04:26 PM
I'll go with Kay...I was weaned on Magic Carpet Ride...

BTO
Neil Young

pphilfran
6/19/2013, 04:41 PM
He can't sing worth a damn but he is a Rock God...

uw18eQxsT_M

OklaPony
6/19/2013, 04:55 PM
Bachman Turner Overdrive?

6/19/2013, 05:25 PM
Bachman Turner Overdrive?Randy Bachman was a member of the Guess Who, and went on his own after the Guess Who broke up, I think. Burton Cummings went on his own as well, and had a couple of hits, including "Stand Tall". I think Cummings has lost a lot of his voice.

6/19/2013, 05:31 PM
He can't sing worth a damn but he is a Rock God...

uw18eQxsT_MI didn't mention him since he was a featured solo performer, instead of just a lead singer. I would guess he has made more money in music than just about any Canadian, with the possible exception of the RUSH guys.

When Neal was young(no pun intended) he had a pretty good voice, and certainly was an exceptional song writer and arranger. He was responsible for some of my favorite songs, like "After the Gold Rush", Down By the River, Cowgirl in the Sand, Needle and the Damage Done, etc. Lots of his early music, up through probably mid 1970's.

6/19/2013, 05:33 PM

BTO
Neil YoungTheir(Steppenwolf) first 3 albums are rock and roll classics. unique and superb.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
6/19/2013, 05:48 PM
Lead singer from Triumph was pretty good.

However, it's either Guess Who or Bryan Adams.

6/19/2013, 05:57 PM
Are there any big name Canadian bands or solo artists nowadays? I always liked Joannie Mitchell, too, who had a lot of hits in the 60's and 70's. Gordon Lightfoot. Of course, Celine Dion has a super voice, but I'm not too big on her songs and style.

Paul Anka, for those wayback hits of the 50's and early 60's

hawaii 5-0
6/19/2013, 07:32 PM
Lead singer from Triumph was pretty good.

Rik Emmett of Triumph has my vote.

It took me a long time to appreciate Geddy Lee just because of his screeching. He's toned it down since the early days.

5-0

Salt City Sooner
6/19/2013, 07:46 PM
Mike Reno anyone?

6/19/2013, 07:53 PM
Mike Reno anyone?Janet's twin brother?

cleller
6/19/2013, 07:56 PM
I'll take Burton Cummings circa 1969-70 as the best ever, but not today. Gone nasal. The early Guess Who albums he was incredible.
Rik Emmet= too whiny

Couple overlooked guys are Richard Manuel and Rick Danko of The Band.

6/19/2013, 08:04 PM
I'll take Burton Cummings circa 1969-70 as the best ever, but not today. Gone nasal. The early Guess Who albums he was incredible.
Rik Emmet= too whiny

Couple overlooked guys are Richard Manuel and Rick Danko of The Band.I heard Cummings sing a few years back, and he sounded like he couldn't any more. Poor guy, to have been so spectacular, and lost it.

I like the music of The Band, circa 1970, when they had their hits. I was assuming Robbie Robertson did all the lead singing, and didn't really know much at all about the other guys. Enlighten me/us, pls. Also, I thought of them as a mult-national band, rather than Canadian. Sorta like Foreigner. (without Canadians)?

diverdog
6/19/2013, 08:51 PM
Margo Timmons. :)

Breadburner
6/19/2013, 09:15 PM
Gordon Lightfoot......Duh...!!

hawaii 5-0
6/19/2013, 09:30 PM
I heard Cummings sing a few years back, and he sounded like he couldn't any more. Poor guy, to have been so spectacular, and lost it.

I like the music of The Band, circa 1970, when they had their hits. I was assuming Robbie Robertson did all the lead singing, and didn't really know much at all about the other guys. Enlighten me/us, pls. Also, I thought of them as a mult-national band, rather than Canadian. Sorta like Foreigner. (without Canadians)?

Robbie, tho the main writer sang lead on almost none of the Band's songs.

Most often was Levon Helm, followed by Rick and Richard.

5-0

cleller
6/19/2013, 09:40 PM
I heard Cummings sing a few years back, and he sounded like he couldn't any more. Poor guy, to have been so spectacular, and lost it.

Here's the cram version. An Arkansas boy named Ronnie Hawkins became a hot commodity on the Toronto night club scene in the early 60s. He recruited various musicians to back him, including 16 year old drummer Levon Helm from Arkansas. The rest of the guys that gelled into his band, The Hawks, were Canadians Robbie Robertson(guitar), Rick Danko(bass), Richard Manual(piano) and organ wizard Garth Hudson.
The Hawks eventually parted with Hawkins, and became the backing band for Bob Dylan when he "came out" electrically in the 60s. After Dylan, they went on their own as The Band.

Levon and his southern twang were featured on several of the biggest hits, but Danko and Manuel sang alot, too. Robbie sang very little, but wrote much of the material. (or at least received most of the credit) Among the band, Manuel was considered the most talented and soulful, but also most reluctant singer. Very shy man who later hung himself.

Here's a Richard Manuel tune:
t7gDPEJd2TU

hawaii 5-0
6/19/2013, 09:44 PM
Tho he didn't sing Garth Hudson was an absolute wizard on the keyboards. Like good organists, he could play 4 different parts at the same time.

Yeah, a lotta talent there in that group.

5-0

6/20/2013, 12:40 AM
Gordon Lightfoot......Duh...!!Ian Tyson(and Sylvia)

6/20/2013, 12:43 AM
Robbie, tho the main writer sang lead on almost none of the Band's songs.

Most often was Levon Helm, followed by Rick and Richard.

5-0Thnx. I didn't know that. Well, I like Up on Cripple Creek, and The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down a lot. Who did the singing on those 2?(I know, I COULD look it up)

cleller
6/20/2013, 07:29 AM
Thnx. I didn't know that. Well, I like Up on Cripple Creek, and The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down a lot. Who did the singing on those 2?(I know, I COULD look it up)

Levon Helm.

Robbie's voice was thin and a little raspy. In the movie, The Last Waltz, Robbie can be seen singing (backup) throughout the show, but his mike was reportedly turned off, or at least way down. Probably the only time anyone would have heard him on the radio was back in the 80s when his first solo record came out.
This song was played some on the old album rock stations. Robbie gets a lot of help from The BoDeans on the choruses. Another curiosity is that Robertson is half Candian-Indian, half Jewish.

lBMF3jpeMHE

Sorry, the song is Showdown at Big Sky

SoonerProphet
6/20/2013, 08:14 AM
Margo Timmons. :)

This.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/20/2013, 08:40 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/images/Entertainment/abc_gma_goulet_071031_mn.jpg

END THREAD

YOU LOSE

GOOD DAY, SIR

Tulsa_Fireman
6/20/2013, 09:16 AM
rGRC2YsdCJI

Tulsa_Fireman
6/20/2013, 09:19 AM
63f32Uu3vfc

KantoSooner
6/20/2013, 09:49 AM

BTO
Neil Young

Neil Young. You are correct.

Jacie
6/20/2013, 10:24 AM
This poll is meaningless without including either the Barenaked Ladies or Corky and the Juice Pigs.

And if we include solo artists . . . Stompin' Tom Connors

hawaii 5-0
6/20/2013, 11:20 AM
Thnx. I didn't know that. Well, I like Up on Cripple Creek, and The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down a lot. Who did the singing on those 2?(I know, I COULD look it up)

That's Levon singing on those songs. He also gets the lead on The Weight (take a load off Fanny)

The Jew's harp sound on Cripple Creek is Garth Hudson playing a clavinet.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
6/20/2013, 11:25 AM
I loved Robbie Robertson's first solo effort.

Somewhere down the Crazy River just drips soul.

Showdown At Big Sky is another favorite. Sung with much emotion.

5-0

6/20/2013, 11:52 AM
That's Levon singing on those songs. He also gets the lead on The Weight (take a load off Fanny)

The Jew's harp sound on Cripple Creek is Garth Hudson playing a clavinet.

5-0Sounds like Levon left some money on the table. at least on my table.

6/20/2013, 11:54 AM
rGRC2YsdCJISo for you, who was his biggest rival? Celine?

KantoSooner
6/20/2013, 12:49 PM
I don't think he's been named yet, and I really don't like his music, but Neil Diamond has probably sold more records than most of the rest of this list combined.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/20/2013, 01:39 PM
So for you, who was his biggest rival? Celine?

That's Robert Goulet. What rival?

That's like asking ninjas who their rival is. That's just stupid.

6/20/2013, 03:26 PM
That's just stupid.took ya 4 sentences. you're slipping!

6/20/2013, 03:28 PM
I don't think he's been named yet, and I really don't like his music, but Neil Diamond has probably sold more records than most of the rest of this list combined."New York City born and bred"

KantoSooner
6/20/2013, 03:45 PM
Huh! I always thought he was Canadian.

Well, I now know that I was fooled in yet another way by my college era French Canadian GF. Cunning wench. Still scoring points on me thirty years later. I'm impressed with her.

what other little land mines did she plant in my life?

Tulsa_Fireman
6/20/2013, 04:04 PM
Herpes.

GDC
6/20/2013, 07:05 PM
Sebastian Bach grew up in Canada I think. Also good are Gordon Downey of The Tragically Hip and Myles Goodwin of April Wine. Don't forget Kim Mitchell...

z6uznGb9hB4

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
6/20/2013, 11:16 PM
No doubt that Robert Goulet is the best singer mentioned, hands down! However, he doesn't rock!

He does do a heckuva King Arthur from Camelot.

6/20/2013, 11:37 PM
No doubt that Robert Goulet is the best singer mentioned, hands down! However, he doesn't rock!

He does do a heckuva King Arthur from Camelot.What, you never heard his version of "Born to Be Wild", nor "Hand Me Down World"? What about his "Today's Tom Sawyer"?

Lott's Bandana
6/21/2013, 09:43 AM
I think Burton Cummings would be near the top of any list, regardless of heritage. While I'm a huge Rush fanboy and have tickets to two upcoming shows, The Guess Who was part of the sound that defined the late '60s and early '70s and provides a framework for every rock rebirth since AOR in the '70s. Geddy is amazing and unique but their contribution to rock music is much more defined and narrowed to a more specific audience, I believe.

Is there ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE that changes the radio station when Cummings starts to spell A-M-E-R-I-C-A-N? One of the more iconic beginnings of any rock song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl4GWOkvDeM

Lott's Bandana
6/21/2013, 09:48 AM
Tho he didn't sing Garth Hudson was an absolute wizard on the keyboards. Like good organists, he could play 4 different parts at the same time.

Yeah, a lotta talent there in that group.

5-0

OUTSTANDING documentary on Netflix about the making of their album "The Band". Garth is from another planet and the explanations as to what went into each of those songs is fascinating.

I miss Levon.

OULenexaman
6/21/2013, 12:46 PM
After Burton I have to go with Gino Vanelli...

6/21/2013, 01:17 PM
Crash Test Dummies - Brad Roberts

6/21/2013, 01:58 PM
I think Burton Cummings would be near the top of any list, regardless of heritage. While I'm a huge Rush fanboy and have tickets to two upcoming shows, The Guess Who was part of the sound that defined the late '60s and early '70s and provides a framework for every rock rebirth since AOR in the '70s. Geddy is amazing and unique but their contribution to rock music is much more defined and narrowed to a more specific audience, I believe.

Is there ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE that changes the radio station when Cummings starts to spell A-M-E-R-I-C-A-N? One of the more iconic beginnings of any rock song...

I agree with you on Cummings, wholeheartedly, but never have particularly liked American Woman. It does demonstrate his superb voice, though.(somebody I know well DOES sometimes change the station when that song comes on)