PDA

View Full Version : Poke football coaches all got raises

badger
6/19/2013, 12:18 PM
Is it time for our latest Poke thread this offseason? OK, their coaches all got raises... well, at least the returning ones. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Returning_OSU_football_coaches_all_receive_raises/20130619_93_0_Withhi277924)

Each returning member of the Cowboy coaching staff was given a raise, ranging from $22,000 to $175,000. Head coach Mike Gundy received the biggest bump, from $3.275 million to $3.45 million.

While OU likes to give Bob Stoops and his coaches a lot of annual raises, I don't recall us bumping it after his 8-5 season (2009). I'm probably mistaken

Mac94
6/19/2013, 12:20 PM
Wasn;t Gundy mentioned for the Tennessee job ... may be less a performace based raise than keeping him from leaving raise.

badger
6/19/2013, 12:42 PM
Very true... that act'll get old fast though. It's why Stoops isn't mentioned in every coaching opening anymore. Plus, those top programs are too proud to be considered rejects

texaspokieokie
6/20/2013, 09:31 AM
what act ???

KantoSooner
6/20/2013, 09:46 AM
Gundy and Holder have done a damn good job of hauling that program out of mediocrity with the help of a pretty good president in Hargis and Daddy Boone's bottomless wallet. More power to 'em. It makes OU's road harder, but in the long term makes us stronger. We really don't want a bottom feeder program at OSU.
And Tulsa's improvement over the past decade or so, likewise, helps the national perception of Oklahoma as a football hotbed more than if we had OU and two garbage programs in state.
Be honest, when OSU plays Texas, who're you rooting for? Me? OSU and it's not even close. (I might swalow my vomit if the game needed to go UT's way to get us into a desireable bowl, but even that would be a hard decision...)

badger
6/20/2013, 09:48 AM
what act ???

The "act" is what happens when a fairly young coach has some success at his current program. A seemingly happy coach (at his "New York Yankees job," hmm?) will draw a larger salary regardless of the previous season's record in order to ward off suitors that traditionally have more success, more boosters, bigger markets, bigger fanbases, better conference, better facilities, better recruits... now I'm just rubbing it in so I'll stop.

For years, Sooner fans had to deal with this "act." Stoops wasn't going anywhere, but the regents felt compelled to give him annual raises so that coaching openings at Florida, Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc etc etc wouldn't include Stoops' name.

After the Fiesta Bowl win, Gundy has now been linked to openings at Arkansas and Tennessee, so your regents have to give him annual offseason raises, whether you're winning the Big 12 and going 12-1 or winning the Heart of Dallas Bowl and going 8-5.

The "act" is tiring, annoying and pretty insulting, but until Gundy gets older and turns down more coaching job opportunities a few more offseasons, it'll happen every year.

Unless, of course, Gundy and the Pokes go back to losing. :stunned:

Mazeppa
6/20/2013, 08:24 PM
Coaches get a raise, recruit flashes a lot of cash. Hmmmmm

Sabanball
6/20/2013, 09:03 PM
Wasn;t Gundy mentioned for the Tennessee job ... may be less a performace based raise than keeping him from leaving raise.

Yes, Tennessee AD Dave Hart interviewed him and offered him the job.

XingTheRubicon
6/22/2013, 08:34 PM
8-5 is better than 90% of their previous final records.

bluedogok
6/23/2013, 08:59 PM
Be honest, when OSU plays Texas, who're you rooting for? Me? OSU and it's not even close. (I might swalow my vomit if the game needed to go UT's way to get us into a desireable bowl, but even that would be a hard decision...)
I wouldn't have a problem rooting for a UT win if it helps OU because ultimately what position that OU is in is what matters....especially over OSU. The firm that I worked for in OKC was more than half OSU people (200-250 person firm), the Whorns that I knew in Austin were a whole lot better than many of those OSU fans. Now UT fans outside of Austin....not so much, it seems the further they get away from Austin the more obnoxious they get.

picasso
6/24/2013, 08:09 AM
Poke fans are intolerable. Even the best behaved ones I know still have so much wood for OU its kind of sad.