PDA

View Full Version : Here's a way to beat the high-tempo spread offense

swardboy
6/18/2013, 05:58 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/6/18/4442284/bret-bielema-substitution-spread-offense-slow-down

College football coaches have been trying to slow down the spread for as long as it's been in the game. Most confine their efforts to between the sidelines, but according to AL.com (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/06/post_494.html), Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema has proposed a rule to the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel to allow a 15-second substitution period after every first down in order to keep defenses fresh against high-speed opponents.

Bielema explained his motivation for the proposed rule:
"Not to get on the coattails of some of the other coaches, there is a lot of truth that the way offensive philosophies are driven now, there's times where you can't get a defensive substitution in for 8-, 10-, 12-play drives," Bielema said. "That has an effect on safety of that student-athlete, especially the bigger defensive linemen, that is really real."

The rule is far from being approved, but Bielema isn't the only coach who is interested in slowing down the pace in college football. Just last year,Alabama head coach Nick Saban questioned whether the spread offense is dangerous to the players (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/10/5/3459430/alabama-football-nick-saban-offenses-college-football), a statement taken by many to be more from a place of self-interest than genuine interest in player safety.
Florida head coach Will Muschamp, a Saban disciple, has also chimed in in support of slowing things down:
"That's something you've got to really watch as far as those things are concerned and guys getting lined up and getting themselves in position where they can defend themselves," Muschamp said. "That's something that does not always happen sometimes with as fast as these teams are moving."

The SEC reportedly mandates a 12-14 second pause between plays (http://blutarsky.wordpress.com/2012/08/20/mark-richt-would-eat-their-lunch/) in order for the officials to get set. How firmly that rule is enforced is anyone's guess, considering there aren't many teams in the conference who like to really push the tempo on offense. That's changing with the addition of Texas A&M, and new high-tempo offenses at Ole Miss and Auburn, but the SEC is still far from a leader in terms of offensive pace.
The SEC team with the fastest adjusted offensive pace in 2012, according to this wonderful chart and explanation over at Football Study Hall (http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/6/18/4442298/pace-in-college-football-2012), was Ole Miss, who was only 35th in the nation. Bielema's Wisconsin team was 82nd in adjusted pace, Alabama was 107th and Florida was 114th, so at least those three coaches are sticking to their guns.

En_Fuego
6/18/2013, 06:03 PM
Sounds like a bunch of whiners.

sooneron
6/18/2013, 08:34 PM
It was pissing and moaning when Saban said it. Bielema? BFD.

Jacie
6/19/2013, 02:44 PM
So it's a safety issue?

If so, then when are they going to do away with helmets?

rock on sooner
6/19/2013, 02:47 PM
Since they can't solve it, slow it down, then change the rules
to "hep" 'em out...that makes sense.....

Mac94
6/19/2013, 04:24 PM
Watch our game against LSU and Florida (second half) ... Oregon against Stanford last year. If the offense cant get ten yard in three plays its a punt ... maybe just a quicker punt than usual but still a punt. The offense can be slowed down ... all offenses can be.

Sabanball
6/19/2013, 06:45 PM
Watch our game against LSU and Florida (second half) ... Oregon against Stanford last year. If the offense cant get ten yard in three plays its a punt ... maybe just a quicker punt than usual but still a punt. The offense can be slowed down ... all offenses can be.

I agree. In time, defensive coordinators and defensive schemes will conform and adapt to the NHHU offense. In fact, it is already starting to happen. Just like water always eventually finds the lowest point, defense always adapts.

PLaw
6/20/2013, 07:47 AM
Would love to have seen a young Wilkinson face off with Saban.

Boomer

Tulsa_Fireman
6/20/2013, 07:58 AM
Is that Saban BEFORE he sold his soul to Beelzebub?

Jacie
6/20/2013, 10:02 AM
Is that Saban BEFORE he sold his soul to Beelzebub?

He sold his soul? I thought he was the debbil . . .

Mac94
6/20/2013, 10:04 AM
He sold his soul? I thought he was the debbil . . .

Nah ... he was just a really really good coach who got humbled in the NFL ... then sold his soul and wound up in Bama and the rest is history. ;)

badger
6/20/2013, 10:16 AM
I wish they'd also slow down golf and baseball. Four-hour football games just isn't long enough. :P

KantoSooner
6/20/2013, 10:35 AM
So, the game is becoming too dangerous because, basically, DT's don't have stamina? Have I got that about right? Now, we can slow the game down so that they can platoon on and off the field, OR, we can start moving to fitter athletes at the DT position. Sure, they'll be smaller. You likely won't see a front 3 or 4 going over 300 lbs each. And so what? Rugby has big uglies who can run, at least a bit.
Rules are not the solution to every problem. Bielema just comes from the fat/slow/white football conference and he's getting terrified looking at the kind of game he's going to have to face this fall.

badger
6/20/2013, 10:58 AM
Bielema just comes from the fat/slow/white football conference

He willingly left the B1G! Must have still had hurt feelers over Urbie recruiting his verbal commttments :P

Yes, I'm a Badger fan, but only secondary.

Widescreen
6/20/2013, 02:05 PM
The SEC reportedly mandates a 12-14 second pause between plays in order for the officials to get set.
And that still doesn't stop the SEC speeeeeeeed.

MichiganSooner
6/20/2013, 06:14 PM
I thought SEC had all the speed. Whiners. Defensive linemen need to rest? What about the offensive linemen who are keeping up the pace for a drive? They usually weigh more than the D-linemen, don't they?

Sabanball
6/20/2013, 07:22 PM
I see no safety issue here. Football is inherently dangerous anyway. Does the NHHU make it worse?... I seriously doubt it. In fact, I'd argue that our style of play results in more injuries than most Big 12 teams suffer(Which is worse, a gassed D-lineman or a d-back getting ran over by a Bama rb?). So to me THAT is a totally bogus argument being made by Bielema.

That being said, I personally really don't care for the no-huddle, because I think it turns the game into sandlot ball... and I'm not a big fan of that. But that is strictly my opinion and I respect that others feel differently.

There is a place for the NHHU offense, and I think the number of programs that choose to run it will continue to increase, especially with programs that simply don't have the size and talent to compete against an elite program that physically can just impose its will on them at the LOS. Also, with more high schools running and adopting some form of the spread O/NH, I think this has influenced the college game, much like the wishbone came into existence. Therefore, I'm really not in favor of any rule changes. All I think is that the refs need to enforce the rules as they stand.

From the NCAA rule book:

e. While in the process of substitution or simulated substitution, Team A is
prohibited from rushing quickly to the line of scrimmage with the obvious
attempt of creating a defensive disadvantage. If the ball is ready for play,
the game officials will not permit the ball to be snapped until Team B has
placed substitutes in position and replaced players have left the field of play.
Team B must react promptly with its substitutes.

Again, even though I'm no big fan of the NHHU, the idea that we would legislate against a particular style of O over others is nonsense to me--whether it be the Sooner spread O or the Bama pro set/run game. I say let each team line up and run any kind of O that that they want as long as it is within the confines of the existing rules. To me, that's one of the great things about college football--the variety of different styles of play that you see on both sides of the ball and why so many people wanted to see a Bama/Oregon championship game last yr.

8timechamps
6/20/2013, 09:05 PM
I see no safety issue here. Football is inherently dangerous anyway. Does the NHHU make it worse?... I seriously doubt it. In fact, I'd argue that our style of play results in more injuries than most Big 12 teams suffer(Which is worse, a gassed D-lineman or a d-back getting ran over by a Bama rb?). So to me THAT is a totally bogus argument being made by Bielema.

That being said, I personally really don't care for the no-huddle, because I think it turns the game into sandlot ball... and I'm not a big fan of that. But that is strictly my opinion and I respect that others feel differently.

There is a place for the NHHU offense, and I think the number of programs that choose to run it will continue to increase, especially with programs that simply don't have the size and talent to compete against an elite program that physically can just impose its will on them at the LOS. Also, with more high schools running and adopting some form of the spread O/NH, I think this has influenced the college game, much like the wishbone came into existence. Therefore, I'm really not in favor of any rule changes. All I think is that the refs need to enforce the rules as they stand.

From the NCAA rule book:

e. While in the process of substitution or simulated substitution, Team A is
prohibited from rushing quickly to the line of scrimmage with the obvious
attempt of creating a defensive disadvantage. If the ball is ready for play,
the game officials will not permit the ball to be snapped until Team B has
placed substitutes in position and replaced players have left the field of play.
Team B must react promptly with its substitutes.

Again, even though I'm no big fan of the NHHU, the idea that we would legislate against a particular style of O over others is nonsense to me--whether it be the Sooner spread O or the Bama pro set/run game. I say let each team line up and run any kind of O that that they want as long as it is within the confines of the existing rules. To me, that's one of the great things about college football--the variety of different styles of play that you see on both sides of the ball and why so many people wanted to see a Bama/Oregon championship game last yr.

Are you referencing the rule you included in your post as one that needs to be enforced? Because, if you are, I'm not sure I've ever seen a game in which is wasn't enforced.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/20/2013, 09:13 PM
I wish they'd also slow down golf and baseball. Four-hour football games just isn't long enough. :PSoccer and hockey games need to be LONGER, too.

6/20/2013, 09:20 PM
Hell, all the teams/coaches have to do if they're getting gassed is fake injuries. They do it to us all the time. FU, AtM and others have done it to us, with no guilt whatsoever.

Sabanball
6/20/2013, 10:01 PM
Are you referencing the rule you included in your post as one that needs to be enforced? Because, if you are, I'm not sure I've ever seen a game in which is wasn't enforced.

I've just noticed sometimes that refs doing games where teams run the NH they sometimes seem to want to spot the ball quicker than they normally would when that team has the ball, as if they are trying to accommodate that offense. What ends up happening is that there is pressure on the refs to hurry up as well. When they are officiating a game with Oregon (or similar offense) -- the Refs are rushing, running to place the ball....because the team is waiting. Why should they hurry any faster than normal? If it's the last 2 minutes, okay, I get it....but otherwise, they are contributing to the problem by rushing to place the ball. Then they have to scurry to get out of the way --

My point is, regardless of what kind of O a team runs, the refs should be consistent and just follow the rules as they relate to substitutions.

TheUnnamedSooner
6/21/2013, 01:54 PM
So it's unsafe for the defensive linement but not the offensive linemen? They have to play without rest too. Kind of like saying rain helps

6/21/2013, 02:02 PM
So it's unsafe for the defensive linement but not the offensive linement? They have to play without rest too. Kind of like saying rain helpsbeautious post!

8timechamps
6/21/2013, 09:41 PM
I've just noticed sometimes that refs doing games where teams run the NH they sometimes seem to want to spot the ball quicker than they normally would when that team has the ball, as if they are trying to accommodate that offense. What ends up happening is that there is pressure on the refs to hurry up as well. When they are officiating a game with Oregon (or similar offense) -- the Refs are rushing, running to place the ball....because the team is waiting. Why should they hurry any faster than normal? If it's the last 2 minutes, okay, I get it....but otherwise, they are contributing to the problem by rushing to place the ball. Then they have to scurry to get out of the way --

My point is, regardless of what kind of O a team runs, the refs should be consistent and just follow the rules as they relate to substitutions.

The rules say that the officials have to stop play for a predetermined period IF the offense substitutes. The rule was put in place to allow the defense an equal chance to substitute. The rules say nothing about the officials allowing any time between plays if no offensive substitution is made.

Since the officials are there to facilitate the game, it's their job to operate on a level commensurate to the offense. If they elect to take their time setting the ball for play, they are in-effect setting the pace of play, which is the last thing an official in any game should ever do. Imagine if a basketball referee forced a team to slow down before in-bounding the ball because he just didn't want to hurry up. There would be a massive outcry. It's no different in football.

The officials should move at the speed of the game, not the other way around.

6/22/2013, 12:11 AM
The rules say that the officials have to stop play for a predetermined period IF the offense substitutes. The rule was put in place to allow the defense an equal chance to substitute. The rules say nothing about the officials allowing any time between plays if no offensive substitution is made.

Since the officials are there to facilitate the game, it's their job to operate on a level commensurate to the offense. If they elect to take their time setting the ball for play, they are in-effect setting the pace of play, which is the last thing an official in any game should ever do. Imagine if a basketball referee forced a team to slow down before in-bounding the ball because he just didn't want to hurry up. There would be a massive outcry. It's no different in football.

The officials should move at the speed of the game, not the other way around.with the sec cleverly claiming health safety issues, the PC police will likely win out, I suspect.