PDA

View Full Version : key west fishing

Petro-Sooner
6/17/2013, 11:17 PM
Anyone ever been deep sea fishing off of key west? If so any recommendations on charter companies to use? TIA!

8timechamps
6/17/2013, 11:26 PM
Fished with a charter out of Amelia Island (near Jacksonville), had a phenomenal day of fishing/drinking/telling stories. The charter company was Heavy Hitter Fishing Charters. I don't know if they work out of the Keys, or not, but it may be worth a look.

JiuJitsuSooner
6/17/2013, 11:55 PM
When are you going? I live in south florida and I have a lot of friends that run charters or that fish a lot (here in palm beach/ft laud area), I could ask who they'd recommend down there

Petro-Sooner
6/18/2013, 01:37 AM
When are you going? I live in south florida and I have a lot of friends that run charters or that fish a lot (here in palm beach/ft laud area), I could ask who they'd recommend down there

That would be helpful. Going in a few weeks. Looking at what to catch and the rates. Done the red snapper and grouper out of Panama City once. That was a good time. Wouldn't mind a shark or marlin........ Lady friend is up for whatever.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/18/2013, 02:42 AM
Is there still a viable fishery for swordfish in South Florida?

diverdog
6/18/2013, 04:50 PM
That would be helpful. Going in a few weeks. Looking at what to catch and the rates. Done the red snapper and grouper out of Panama City once. That was a good time. Wouldn't mind a shark or marlin........ Lady friend is up for whatever.

When was the last time you did an offshore trip? A marlin trip out of these parts is north of $1500 a day. I suspect a full days trip in Key West is less but still more than $1000/day. A shark trip on the flats is probably $500-$600 a day if I had to guess.

My old boss has one of the best big game boats on the East Coast. Unfortunately it is in NC this time of year.

Capt. Bull with winnings recorded (at least once and sometimes twice) in the White Marlin Open, Oregon Inlet Fishing Center, Hatteras Harbor, Hatteras Marlin Club, Pirate's Cove Billfish Tournament, Alice Kelly, Allison Tournament, Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament, Manufactures Cup, Bermuda Blast, Bermuda Big Game Classic, Bermuda Sea Horse, and the Virginia Beach Billfish Tournament..

http://www.seatoy.com/

i will ask around and get you a name if I can.

Petro-Sooner
6/18/2013, 05:16 PM

When was the last time you did an offshore trip? A marlin trip out of these parts is north of $1500 a day. I suspect a full days trip in Key West is less but still more than $1000/day. A shark trip on the flats is probably $500-$600 a day if I had to guess.

My old boss has one of the best big game boats on the East Coast. Unfortunately it is in NC this time of year.

Capt. Bull with winnings recorded (at least once and sometimes twice) in the White Marlin Open, Oregon Inlet Fishing Center, Hatteras Harbor, Hatteras Marlin Club, Pirate's Cove Billfish Tournament, Alice Kelly, Allison Tournament, Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament, Manufactures Cup, Bermuda Blast, Bermuda Big Game Classic, Bermuda Sea Horse, and the Virginia Beach Billfish Tournament..

http://www.seatoy.com/

i will ask around and get you a name if I can.

Went out of Panama City two years ago. Thanks for the help.

diverdog
6/19/2013, 02:14 AM
Went out of Panama City two years ago. Thanks for the help.

No problem.

I used to do a lot of shark fishing up here in Delaware. The best fight was a two hundred pound Mako. They fight just like a Marlin and leap as high. We caught a big Thresher Shark one time and it beat the sh"t out of the boat. They are very dangerous and we ended up shooting it with a shotgun. All of this was done out of a 17 foot Boston Whaler, 30 miles off shore when gas was cheap and I was a whole lot dumber. We would throw in 60-70 gallons of gas and go....just dad and I. It was a hoot.

diverdog
6/19/2013, 12:33 PM
Petro,

I just PM'd you.

diverdog
6/20/2013, 03:19 PM
Petro:

I sent you some emails.

DD

JiuJitsuSooner
6/22/2013, 11:55 AM
I'm in key west now, I'll ask around and get back to ya in a couple days

6/22/2013, 12:12 PM
HARRRRRRRRR!

Sorry. Just caught up in the moment. Don't mind me, folks.

6/22/2013, 09:15 PM
I'm in key west now, I'll ask around and get back to ya in a couple daysDid you fly in or drive in? How long is the drive from miami?

diverdog
6/23/2013, 06:00 AM
Did you fly in or drive in? How long is the drive from miami?

I usually flew into Miami and rented a car when I use to dive down there. The trip could be 2-3 hours depending on traffic. One time I had to evacuate the Keys because of a Hurricane and they had one way traffic with the lights all set at green. That was the fastest I have ever gotten off the Keys.

BTW there is still a swordfish fishery. Not a good one but it is recovering.

6/23/2013, 01:39 PM
I usually flew into Miami and rented a car when I use to dive down there. The trip could be 2-3 hours depending on traffic. One time I had to evacuate the Keys because of a Hurricane and they had one way traffic with the lights all set at green. That was the fastest I have ever gotten off the Keys.

BTW there is still a swordfish fishery. Not a good one but it is recovering.Thanks. Sometime way back there was a thriving commercial fishing industry in FL for swordfish, but I had read that it got overfished fast, and pretty well dried up. I haven't heard much about sport fishing for swords there in many years.