PDA

View Full Version : 1956 Aerocar

cleller
6/17/2013, 06:18 PM
In 1949 man name Moulton Taylor began designing a flying automobile. Several folks apparently tried this, but Taylor's seems to have coming closest to succeeding commercially. He built a total of six machines; one built in 1956 was bought by actor Robert Cummings, and was featured on his 1961 TV show, The New Bob Cummings Show.

uwIn7jLPV4E

That particular model is the only one still flying. It is owned by a guy named Ed Sweeney, who is trying to get a new model off the ground. Here's a pretty good clip of it from 2012.

h38UeDb7xw8

texaspokieokie
6/18/2013, 08:40 AM
can you imagine the danger in flying if all the numb-nuts drivers were in the air ???

rock on sooner
6/18/2013, 09:53 AM
can you imagine the danger in flying if all the numb-nuts drivers were in the air ???

Given the commute with my wife twice a day, THAT's a truly frightening
thought!

KantoSooner
6/18/2013, 11:00 AM

Exactly.

When I think about the people who seemingly have to swing wide left to turn right, who have to come to a complete stop before turning off rural highways, who haven't a clue what turn signals are for, who weave around in their lanes (even while NOT texting or drinking), etc, the idea of flying cars becomes horrfying. Even if I just stayed home, sure enough some moron would come crashing through my roof.

TFSooner
6/18/2013, 12:21 PM
There is a company called Terrafugia that has been in the process of developing/marketing their flying car concept, called a street-legal airplane, for about 10 years or so. Consists of a group of MIT grads/professors, if memory serves me. Saw a presentation at a conference about 8 years ago. One of their designs has folding wings and tilt-rotor type engines.

8timechamps
6/18/2013, 09:32 PM
The idea is great, however it's just not realistic.

Too many asshats out there already driving. The last thing anyone needs is to be pulling out of the post office, and have some drunk idiot land their carplane on you.

OULenexaman
6/18/2013, 11:38 PM
I liked the Jetsons too. :cool:

texaspokieokie
6/19/2013, 11:25 AM
It's a compromise, not very good car or plane.