PDA

View Full Version : OU gets 9th commit for 2014

8timechamps
6/14/2013, 03:50 PM
Defensive Tackle Brandon Glenn (6'4". 255 [he says he up to 275]) from Irving Texas (Ranchview high school). Other offers: SMU, Kansas, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas and Texas Tech.

IronHorseSooner
6/14/2013, 04:58 PM
Holy Carp, Batman! A DT! Now, let's get some LBs!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/15/2013, 01:58 AM
http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=7025123

SoonerorLater
6/15/2013, 12:48 PM
We are consistently beating out Houston and North Texas in these recruiting battles.

8timechamps
6/15/2013, 01:19 PM
We are consistently beating out Houston and North Texas in these recruiting battles.

I never read anything into that. There's a group of kids that are going to get offers from everyone, then there are the majority of kids that won't. Like Aaron Colvin (and so many others), it doesn't mean much.

This is Montgomery's first recruit, so it's going to be interesting to see how he develops.

King Crimson
6/15/2013, 01:55 PM

a coach at Houston or NT will offer a bunch of kids just to say they are in on them. can't disrespect them for it. how the game is played. especially in a state like TX. coach ain't doing his job if he isn't offering the best local or regional kids.

who knows? build a relationship with a kid.....and it doesn't work out at plan A....kid is back to you for a couple years....from perspective of NT type coach.

Stoops and coaches always have been quick to get kids they like...before the full bolster of recruiting stars and who's offered and interested stuff puffs up that particular jock sniffer industry.

8timechamps
6/16/2013, 06:52 PM
a coach at Houston or NT will offer a bunch of kids just to say they are in on them. can't disrespect them for it. how the game is played. especially in a state like TX. coach ain't doing his job if he isn't offering the best local or regional kids.

who knows? build a relationship with a kid.....and it doesn't work out at plan A....kid is back to you for a couple years....from perspective of NT type coach.

Stoops and coaches always have been quick to get kids they like...before the full bolster of recruiting stars and who's offered and interested stuff puffs up that particular jock sniffer industry.

That's where things changed over the past couple of years, Stoops & his staff took much longer to evaluate talent which resulted in late offers. It came to a head last year, when the Sooners missed on at least one player because of the slow pace.

This year, they've done a complete 180, and are back to offering kids they like, and doing it early. This year feels much more like the early Stoops era in recruiting than the past several. This kid (Glenn) is a perfect example of that. He has attended a couple of OU camps, and the word is he was head and shoulders better than any other defensive line recruit in attendance. So, no, he doesn't have a ton of offers, and he's not even rated by all the services, but OU see's something in the kid.

My guess is that once the services do their re-evaluating (which they do every year, because they miss on so many kids), Glenn will come in at a 4 star.

Stoops is back to finding players, only to have the rankings follow. Not vice versa, as has been the case recently.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/17/2013, 12:07 PM
Interesting article -> http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/on-the-trail/post/_/id/40200/

For those of you who watched the softball team, they had an interesting piece on Gasso talking about how she passed on top rated kids if she didn't think they would work hard. Back in early 2000's softball players would show up on campus and be better as freshman than as seniors and she got tired of it. It looks more and more like our coaches are adopting the same mentality here.

6/17/2013, 01:31 PM
jkm, that might be the most Sooner Friendly article I've seen. Nice to see something like that.

8timechamps
6/17/2013, 02:55 PM
Interesting update today.

Scouts, Inc./ESPN released evaluations on a lot of players today, and some of the kids that were "not rated" suddenly had good ratings:

Glenn (the focus of this thread originally) is considered a 3 star DT (#63 DT in the country)
Carson Meier (TE) went from unrated to a 4 star (#5 TE in the country).
Alex Dalton (C) went from unrated to a 4 star (#5 C in the country).

OU went from a mediocre class (on paper) to already having five four star players (4 of which now place in the ESPN top 300).

All of this means that recruiting rankings are overblown. But, they're a good way to stay interested until the season starts!

6/17/2013, 03:06 PM
Impressive!

IronHorseSooner
6/17/2013, 04:00 PM
Interesting update today.

Scouts, Inc./ESPN released evaluations on a lot of players today, and some of the kids that were "not rated" suddenly had good ratings:

Glenn (the focus of this thread originally) is considered a 3 star DT (#63 DT in the country)
Carson Meier (TE) went from unrated to a 4 star (#5 TE in the country).
Alex Dalton (C) went from unrated to a 4 star (#5 C in the country).

OU went from a mediocre class (on paper) to already having five four star players (4 of which now place in the ESPN top 300).

All of this means that recruiting rankings are overblown. But, they're a good way to stay interested until the season starts!

Most importantly, look at the positions- TE, OL, DT- and our new coaches. It looks like Monty, Boulware, and Bedenbaugh are all getting after it....Now for some LBs.....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/17/2013, 07:40 PM
Most importantly, look at the positions- TE, OL, DT- and our new coaches. It looks like Monty, Boulware, and Bedenbaugh are all getting after it....Now for some LBs.....

The key thing about this kid is that he was projected as a strongside DE earlier. In the thread where I went through every DT in the NFL draft, this was a common theme of SEC kids that were drafted (especially those drafted in the first 3 days).

I don't know if I posted the maths in that thread, but there were 2 groupings when you consider DTs evaluated by recruiting services - Top 3 and everyone else. The chance of the #100 player being drafted was exactly the same as the #4 player (1.2% chance) while the top 3 were at 9%.

stoopified
7/22/2013, 08:46 AM
Never thought I would live to see the day we would be glad OUr football coach is following suit after OUr softball coach. :)