PDA

View Full Version : Sunny G. -- Auburn?

TumbleweedDoom
6/14/2013, 03:24 PM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/06/source_oklahoma_baseball_coach.html

colston15
6/14/2013, 03:33 PM
Seems like a ploy to get what he wants, be it stadium expansion, more money or both. I'm OK with it if that's the case.

Having said that, if he's really interested in the job and isn't just trying to gain leverage, he can go take a long walk off a short pier.

OU baseball won before he got here and will once he leaves.

mojorisen2014
6/14/2013, 03:35 PM
Gene Stephenson is available

TumbleweedDoom
6/14/2013, 03:43 PM
With college baseball being bigger down there than it ever will be up here, his stock being higher than it ever has been and (considering he's not a spring chicken anymore) ever might be again, a likely rebuilding season facing him next year and just the general nonsense he's had to put up with, I definitely think there's a chance he would take it. Not saying he will, but just saying there's a legit chance.

colston15
6/14/2013, 03:49 PM
A tad nicer nicer than LDM.

http://www.auburntigers.com/facilities/aub-10-baseball.html

badger
6/14/2013, 04:16 PM
Meh, we'll find someone else good if he goes. There's not a lot of job security in the SEC, so hopefully money isn't the only deciding factor if he goes.

tycat947
6/14/2013, 05:27 PM
A tad nicer nicer than LDM.

http://www.auburntigers.com/facilities/aub-10-baseball.html

Doesn't appear to have helped the previous coach much though.

champions77
6/14/2013, 05:39 PM
If I was Sunny, I would leave in a heartbeat. Getting OU to do something is like pulling teeth. Currently undergoing 7 phases of upgrades, 7. I think one phase is painting the men's restrooms, another is painting the women's restrooms. Outside of the few seats directly behind the dugouts, the capacity of L. Dale Mitchell has change very little....in 30 years. If I have to stare at those ugly berms running down the lines one more year I'm going to scream. I am sure most teams that play for the first time are shocked to see it, thinking "this is where OU plays".

Sunny is looking for a better place. Amazing how those places are now found in the SEC. A place we turned down. Boren probably afraid that the SEC competition would force him to upgrade L. Dale in only three phases.

8timechamps
6/14/2013, 07:23 PM
If I was Sunny, I would leave in a heartbeat. Getting OU to do something is like pulling teeth. Currently undergoing 7 phases of upgrades, 7. I think one phase is painting the men's restrooms, another is painting the women's restrooms. Outside of the few seats directly behind the dugouts, the capacity of L. Dale Mitchell has change very little....in 30 years. If I have to stare at those ugly berms running down the lines one more year I'm going to scream. I am sure most teams that play for the first time are shocked to see it, thinking "this is where OU plays".

Sunny is looking for a better place. Amazing how those places are now found in the SEC. A place we turned down. Boren probably afraid that the SEC competition would force him to upgrade L. Dale in only three phases.

I think you over-simplified the phase process. Phase one is probably picking out the right shade of white to paint the restrooms. Phase two is procurement of paint brushes. Etc., etc.

LDM needs work. And more than just a new coat of paint. It may be the worst playing facility on campus. Maybe with the women winning the national title, and the men making a run into the super regionals, Castiglione can find a way to make it better.

I'd hate to see Sunny leave, but if he's leaving to finish his career in a place he thinks appreciates college baseball more, then I say "don't let the door hit you".

Salt City Sooner
6/14/2013, 08:15 PM
He's history:

http://auburn.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=884&script=content.asp&cid=1515896&fid=&tid=&mid=

8timechamps
6/14/2013, 08:23 PM
He's history:

http://auburn.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=884&script=content.asp&cid=1515896&fid=&tid=&mid=

Well, that escalated quickly. Good luck, I guess?

Collier11
6/14/2013, 08:27 PM
If true, I hope the whiny bitchy fans amongst us are pleased, we will have lost a really good coach

Collier11
6/14/2013, 08:29 PM
NM with the "IF"

http://newsok.com/auburn-hires-sunny-golloway/article/3851692

NorthernIowaSooner
6/14/2013, 10:02 PM
It's too bad that he is leaving, he did good things here. Auburn must be throwing around a lot of money, they hired Arizona State's softball coach away (who is an Az St grad) and Sunny who went to college in Oklahoma and has been in the state for many years. I'd think it cost them a lot to pry them both loose.

Collier11
6/14/2013, 10:22 PM
I just hope JOE C goes after a stud coach to keep the program going and perhaps take us a step further

tycat947
6/14/2013, 10:24 PM
I'm not so sure why adding seats are so important when 2 of 3 seats on average is unfilled game after game. I thing Sunny was divisive for the program and maybe not even his fault. He is a good coach but I don't think it's possible for him to bring all factions of the program together ala Stoops or Kruger. I think we'll be fine in the long run and wish Sunny good luck.

hvhurricane
6/14/2013, 11:03 PM
The only way this ends up being a good thing is if the new coach can get improvements made to the facilities as part of his new contract. This is prob the only way we get Boren to make any major improvements to L Dale and make it at least a top flight Big 12 facility. He obviously, doesn't care about the baseball program and did absolutely nothing to keep SG. Tells you how much Boren and Castiglione really care about baseball.

BoomerJack
6/14/2013, 11:14 PM
Hey Tycat: "factions of the program". What factions are you talking about???

It's been my observation that attendance is pathetic and has been the last 2-3 years even with the Sooners' record. (Something about one of only five D-1 programs in the country having 40+ wins over the last five years.) In my opinion, UT and Baylor have better parks and show better fan support. And it's just a matter of time before OSU builds a park that's gonna blow L. Dale Mitchell away.

I think Sunny just got tired of his team being an afterthought in the athletic dept.

Soonerus
6/14/2013, 11:17 PM
See you Sunny, never really cared for you...

Collier11
6/14/2013, 11:23 PM
That's cus you don't know what you are talking about Rus

Soonerus
6/14/2013, 11:25 PM
You'd be surprised, he should have been gone a few years ago but lucked out and won some games..

Collier11
6/14/2013, 11:30 PM
He lucked out by being one of only 5 coaches to win 40 or more games for 5 straight years?

mojorisen2014
6/15/2013, 12:47 AM
It's weird with him leaving. And it's weird that I don't care that he is leaving. But im looking forward to see who Joe C picks.

hvhurricane
6/15/2013, 07:32 AM
For a coach who has always lived in OK his whole life, and dreamed of having the OU job his whole life, this is shocking. It does tell me three things, though.
1. SG obviously didn't have a great relationship with JC and Zd
DB and didn't believe he was going to get the financial support he needed to improve OU's facilities to elite status.
2. SG felt if he had had one bad year, he would have been on the hook.
3. SG felt like the OU fans would never embrace the program enough to give them an advantage in the postseason.
No matter what anybody says about JC, he has never been committed to improving the program to a top national power. I don't think SG believed he could win a NC at OU and could at AU. That says a lot when the coach of the Big 12 Champions takes the last place job in the SEC.

Collier11
6/15/2013, 09:25 AM
His pay was almost doubled, that helps

colston15
6/15/2013, 10:16 AM
This is where the old Seymore/Heyward faction will show their true colors. They'll try to derail anyone not in their camp, just like they did with SG.

They'll never hate anyone as much as Golloway, but if they don't get their guy they'll try to sabotage him.

They're losers.

MichiganSooner
6/15/2013, 10:33 AM
John Hoover delivered his thoughts in Tulsa World. First, his hiring situation was not good. Took over as Interim Coach in 2005 and the team rallied to finish strong. Then JC offered the head job to Stephenson of Wichita State who took it and then changed his mind. JC then offered the job to Golloway. In 2010, the team went to the World Series and Sonny got a raise from $200k to $310k. In 2011, the experienced players flopped; gave up. Why? Then he got a contract extension with $5,000 raises per year through 2017. Meanwhile, football coaches got big increases despite the team not making expectations. Hoover mentioned Josh from $200k to $350k. Mike Stoops hired at $600k. Martinez, Patton, Shipp, and Kittle got big raises.
Kind of easy to see that Golloway felt underappreciated.

FaninAma
6/15/2013, 12:18 PM
If true, I hope the whiny bitchy fans amongst us are pleased, we will have lost a really good coach
None of the fans who thought Sunny was just an above average coach caused him to sign with Auburn. If you want to get upset get upset with the guy who signed the contract with Auburn. I suspect we will find another coach who can keep us finishing in the top 16 most years. As far as stadium improvements are concerned I would remind OU fans how much crap we gave OSU for expanding their football stadium since they could not fill the old rustoleum stadium. The baseball program , and every other program at OU will play a very distant second fiddle to the football program because that's all the fans care about.

Collier11
6/15/2013, 12:35 PM
None of the fans who thought Sunny was just an above average coach caused him to sign with Auburn. If you want to get upset get upset with the guy who signed the contract with Auburn. I suspect we will find another coach who can keep us finishing in the top 16 most years. As far as stadium improvements are concerned I would remind OU fans how much crap we gave OSU for expanding their football stadium since they could not fill the old rustoleum stadium. The baseball program , and every other program at OU will play a very distant second fiddle to the football program because that's all the fans care about.

That is what you took from that? That I blame you whiny fans for him leaving? What I was saying is that those of you who have bitched and whined about SG for years now, despite his high levels of success and consistency, you people got what you wanted so I hope you are happy. Lets hope Joe C can find someone better

nighttrain12
6/15/2013, 12:55 PM
Hopefully his hot daughter sticks around. :)

8timechamps
6/15/2013, 01:41 PM
John Hoover delivered his thoughts in Tulsa World. First, his hiring situation was not good. Took over as Interim Coach in 2005 and the team rallied to finish strong. Then JC offered the head job to Stephenson of Wichita State who took it and then changed his mind. JC then offered the job to Golloway. In 2010, the team went to the World Series and Sonny got a raise from $200k to $310k. In 2011, the experienced players flopped; gave up. Why? Then he got a contract extension with $5,000 raises per year through 2017. Meanwhile, football coaches got big increases despite the team not making expectations. Hoover mentioned Josh from $200k to $350k. Mike Stoops hired at $600k. Martinez, Patton, Shipp, and Kittle got big raises.
Kind of easy to see that Golloway felt underappreciated.

Well, OU is (and will always be) a football first school, surely SG knew that. Secondly, if he thinks it doesn't work that way at Auburn, then he's mistaken. I think Hoover may be barking up the wrong tree. There isn't a school in the country that pays their baseball coach more than their football coach (at least not a division 1 school).

bluedogok
6/15/2013, 01:45 PM
LDM does not need to be expanded, it could use some upgrading but it doesn't need more empty seats. Maybe a plan to add temporary seating as needed and if that works then a plan to add permanent seats should the need arise.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/15/2013, 01:55 PM
It's weird with him leaving. And it's weird that I don't care that he is leaving. But im looking forward to see who Joe C picks.Weird for me too. I feel about the same. In addition, kinda wish Boren would retire, but not Castiglione.

MsProudSooner
6/15/2013, 02:35 PM
Is Auburn's baseball program as dirty as their football program?

FaninAma
6/15/2013, 06:22 PM
I like how anybody who disagrees with a coach's supporters and gives reasons why he/she disagrees is labeled bitchy and whiny.

Collier11
6/15/2013, 06:34 PM
any fan who bitches and whines about a team that is one of the 5 most consistent in the nation over a 5 year span, one that has gone to a super regional 3 times and the CWS, something we hadn't done since the 90s, that is a bitchy and whiny fan. You are correct and you wear it well in this instance

stoopified
6/15/2013, 08:37 PM
My time as a Sooner diamond fan goes back to Semore and team featuring Keith Drumright and Kelly Snyder(1975?) .I appreciate what Sunny did for OU but I look forward to the future with a new coach.

Collier11
6/15/2013, 08:51 PM
My time as a Sooner diamond fan goes back to Semore and team featuring Keith Drumright and Kelly Snyder(1975?) .I appreciate what Sunny did for OU but I look forward to the future with a new coach.

I can get on board with that stance...Sunny did a lot of good for OU baseball, interesting to see who we can grab

6/15/2013, 10:55 PM
My time as a Sooner diamond fan goes back to Semore and team featuring Keith Drumright and Kelly Snyder(1975?) .I appreciate what Sunny did for OU but I look forward to the future with a new coach.Something like that. Larry Cochelle did a great job too, winning it all in '94, and then getting shamefully forced to resign. We screwed our own program, IMO by doing that. Seems like just recently. How time flies!

hvhurricane
6/15/2013, 11:09 PM
LDM does not need to be expanded, it could use some upgrading but it doesn't need more empty seats. Maybe a plan to add temporary seating as needed and if that works then a plan to add permanent seats should the need arise.

This attitude is exactly one of the reasons Sunny left. You have to have elite facilities to compete at the elite level year end and year out. SG did the best job he could do considering the support he received from the AD and the fans. I disagreed with some of SG's Baseball moves, but the guy did a very good job with what he had to work with. We have the second worse facilities in the Big 12. Only OSU has worse facilities and even WVU outdrew OU at the gate. If the AD have a damn about the baseball program, he could work with the major donors to build a state of the art facility and drive the attendance up. They could easily make it an event to go to an OU game. SG really did a great job to make us a consistent top 15 team. He, or anyone else, will not make us a CWS regular without a committmemt to the program. Don't be surprised if JC goes the assistant route and low balls the job.

nighttrain12
6/15/2013, 11:38 PM
Something like that. Larry Cochelle did a great job too, winning it all in '94, and then getting shamefully forced to resign. We screwed our own program, IMO by doing that. Seems like just recently. How time flies!

It was shameful what he said, not the fact he was forced to resign. The program didn't really miss a beat after that, once Sunny was named the permanent head coach.

6/16/2013, 12:31 AM
It was shameful what he said, not the fact he was forced to resign. The program didn't really miss a beat after that, once Sunny was named the permanent head coach.I'm not at all convinced that he was guilty of racism, but that was what was levied against him. I'm sure our competitors were glad to see him go. Seemed somewhat railroadish at the time.

TweenerTues
6/16/2013, 01:41 AM
My Thoughts:

First, good for Sunny, major pay increase and moves to the SEC.

Hopefully our next Coach will schedule games against premier opponents at home so we can try and fill some seats. Who wants to come out on a Tuesday and watch Pine Bluff? Or a Saturday and see William and Mary? Not this guy! Play some people with better RPI's so you aren't always complaining about it. We play 4 game weekend series against Alabama St. Make up games against St. Gregory, MidAmerican Christian. We are talking marquee matchups here. The only thing Sunny cares about is 40 wins (25k bonus). The attendance will be hurt if you play scrubs. Give the fans what they want! I can remember when UCLA was here in 09' we had good crowds. That's the last big home series against a formidable opponent outside the Big XII.

Next, it is sad when I speak with former players and they are relieved that Golloway is gone. They feel as if they can root for OU again. This sound familiar? But wait, these guys played for Sunny! Guys from teams as recent as 2011. Sunny was a staunch dictator, despised by coaches and players! Ask a former player their thoughts on Sunny. Each one will tell you a 4 letter word that rhymes with Rick. Hopefully with Sunny gone everyone can become family again. Think, a world without excuses! A world with out Sunny throwing a kid under the bus after a loss!

Good Luck in Auburn, maybe now he will come to the office during the day or show up for practice in the fall! Things he rarely did the past 4 years. I watch from the berm many a days as then Tadlock, Bell now Thomas, Giese ran practice without Sunny in sight.

Fans do not make teams better. Home field advantage doesn't matter. If that were the case OU would not have made it out of Virginia. South Carolina and LSU beat us because they were better not because the fill the stands. Tired of the excuses! Hopefully the next coach is someone we can rally around!

A little off topic, but wanted to vent after I heard his pompous presser.

Here is to getting back to Omaha!

C&CDean
6/16/2013, 09:11 AM
OU baseball fans suck and deserve what they get. Let me re-phrase that. OU baseball fans who never fill a seat at LDM park yet bitch and whine about whatever coach happens to be there suck.

Those that think an expansion to LDM is the answer are numbskulls. Improvements? Hells yes. Expansion? Why? The place is like a mausoleum; even when we're playing Big 12 teams. What do we average, maybe 400 - 500 per game? I know Texas had over 6K at our games in Austin - and they sucked.

I'm convinced that the whiners and bitchers are just whiners and bitchers by nature. Many of the same posters rag on the football/basketball coaches as well. These are people who just have to find someone to point a finger at. Makes them feel better I guess. Me? I feel the ones playing the game/driving the car/doing the deed are responsible when they screw the pooch. I don't blame Obama for Nancy Pelosi's constant **** ups. I blame Pelosi.

Collier11
6/16/2013, 09:11 AM
I'm not at all convinced that he was guilty of racism, but that was what was levied against him. I'm sure our competitors were glad to see him go. Seemed somewhat railroadish at the time.

What he said was ignorant, not sure it was racism. He was really struggling when it all happened for a few years so it made it an easy decision im sure

Collier11
6/16/2013, 09:12 AM
OU baseball fans suck and deserve what they get. Let me re-phrase that. OU baseball fans who never fill a seat at LDM park yet bitch and whine about whatever coach happens to be there suck.

Those that think an expansion to LDM is the answer are numbskulls. Improvements? Hells yes. Expansion? Why? The place is like a mausoleum; even when we're playing Big 12 teams. What do we average, maybe 400 - 500 per game? I know Texas had over 6K at our games in Austin - and they sucked.

I'm convinced that the whiners and bitchers are just whiners and bitchers by nature. Many of the same posters rag on the football/basketball coaches as well. These are people who just have to find someone to point a finger at. Makes them feel better I guess. Me? I feel the ones playing the game/driving the car/doing the deed are responsible when they screw the pooch. I don't blame Obama for Nancy Pelosi's constant **** ups. I blame Pelosi.

Same thing with our basketball fans

C&CDean
6/16/2013, 09:17 AM
It was shameful what he said, not the fact he was forced to resign. The program didn't really miss a beat after that, once Sunny was named the permanent head coach.

Horse****. Shameful? Meh. I know the coach. He should not have said it, but he didn't say it with any intent, and everybody knows that. Larry is a fine man with nary a racist bone in his body. The OU admin just used it as an excuse to dump him, and the bleeding heart libs jumped all over it. Water under the dam...

Collier11
6/16/2013, 10:46 AM
I may be wrong but didn't Joe Dunigan come out in support of Larry?

6/16/2013, 11:35 AM
Horse****. Shameful? Meh. I know the coach. He should not have said it, but he didn't say it with any intent, and everybody knows that. Larry is a fine man with nary a racist bone in his body. The OU admin just used it as an excuse to dump him, and the bleeding heart libs jumped all over it. Water under the dam...It seemed that way to me, too. I don't know him personally like you do, but it smacked of hatched job, from what I've read about the situation.

nighttrain12
6/16/2013, 12:50 PM
I may be wrong but didn't Joe Dunigan come out in support of Larry?

Yes, the player who was spoken of stated he didn't want to see the coach get fired but it wasn't his decision, it was Boren/Castiglione's decision. No one claimed Cochell was a racist, just that it was a racially offensive remark, that he made in 2 separate interviews with 2 different ESPN reporters. Cochell never denied it or claimed he was taken out of context. Just to refresh some peoples memories:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2052267

6/16/2013, 01:14 PM
Cochelle said: ""there's no n----- in him." Cochell, who is white, later spoke of Dunigan to Peterson, saying "There are honkies and white people. There are n------ and black people. Dunigan is a good black kid."

I don't see that what he said should have been reason to can him, nor force him to resign. Black players for him who were interviewed didn't seem to think so either.

colston15
6/16/2013, 01:14 PM
My Thoughts:

Hopefully our next Coach will schedule games against premier opponents at home so we can try and fill some seats. Who wants to come out on a Tuesday and watch Pine Bluff? Or a Saturday and see William and Mary? Not this guy! Play some people with better RPI's so you aren't always complaining about it. We play 4 game weekend series against Alabama St. Make up games against St. Gregory, MidAmerican Christian. We are talking marquee matchups here. The only thing Sunny cares about is 40 wins (25k bonus). The attendance will be hurt if you play scrubs. Give the fans what they want! I can remember when UCLA was here in 09' we had good crowds. That's the last big home series against a formidable opponent outside the Big XII.

Next, it is sad when I speak with former players and they are relieved that Golloway is gone. They feel as if they can root for OU again. This sound familiar? But wait, these guys played for Sunny! Guys from teams as recent as 2011. Sunny was a staunch dictator, despised by coaches and players! Ask a former player their thoughts on Sunny. Each one will tell you a 4 letter word that rhymes with Rick. Hopefully with Sunny gone everyone can become family again. Think, a world without excuses! A world with out Sunny throwing a kid under the bus after a loss!

Good Luck in Auburn, maybe now he will come to the office during the day or show up for practice in the fall! Things he rarely did the past 4 years. I watch from the berm many a days as then Tadlock, Bell now Thomas, Giese ran practice without Sunny in sight.

Fans do not make teams better. Home field advantage doesn't matter. If that were the case OU would not have made it out of Virginia. South Carolina and LSU beat us because they were better not because the fill the stands. Tired of the excuses! Hopefully the next coach is someone we can rally around!

I'll miss the 40-win seasons, the Super Regionals and the Big 12 Tournament Titles, but I sure won't miss these posts.

FaninAma
6/16/2013, 05:54 PM
My Thoughts:

Here is to getting back to Omaha! Ouch! I thought I was critical of Sunny.

FaninAma
6/16/2013, 05:58 PM
I'll miss the 40-win seasons, the Super Regionals and the Big 12 Tournament Title, but I sure won't miss these posts. FIFY. And why are you so sure the poster is not on the money with his criticism?

TweenerTues
6/16/2013, 08:42 PM
Colston, please refer to Dillion Overton's twitter account. YIKES!

8timechamps
6/16/2013, 08:46 PM
Colston, please refer to Dillion Overton's twitter account. YIKES!

Good grief! Guess things were, um, not so good.

TweenerTues
6/16/2013, 08:56 PM
I'll miss the 40-win seasons, the Super Regionals and the Big 12 Tournament Titles, but I sure won't miss these posts.

Colston, refer to Jake Smith. SG is not a man of character. Teams won in spite of him.

8timechamps
6/16/2013, 09:00 PM
My Thoughts:

I don't have a problem with this post. First, TweenerTues seems to be pretty plugged in to former players. Secondly, I didn't think this was that critical of SG. This isn't the first time I've heard (read) he was never around. I can understand a major league coach not running every BP or pitching session, but at the college level, that should be a no-brainer.

I'm not "in the know" enough to really voice an opinion of Galloway, but the gist of this post was right on point and the message could be spread to cover basketball, or football. College coaches shouldn't throw a player under the bus, ever. I know for a fact SG did that. And scheduling is a big reason why nobody attends the games. I used to go to Sooner home games regularly when I lived there, and there were some big time teams that came to Norman, and the atmosphere was always elevated. There is no speculation that better names draw bigger crowds. That's true for every sport.

Whether you liked SG or not, he chose to leave OU. And now, at least one former player has aired some harsh thoughts toward him. I have no love loss for SG. Hopefully, the next guy can bring the program together.

nighttrain12
6/16/2013, 09:35 PM
You can't expect every single player to love the head coach. Sunny guided the team to many many victories, no matter what the method may have been behind closed doors. I think Overton makes himself look bad with his comments.

BoomerJack
6/16/2013, 09:58 PM
I think Overton makes himself look bad with his comments.

What did Mr. Overton say?

nighttrain12
6/16/2013, 10:05 PM
https://twitter.com/coach_G29

http://s3.amazonaws.com/content.newsok.com/newsok/images/blogs/misc/Screen-Shot-2013-06-16-at-9.53.49-PM.png

nighttrain12
6/16/2013, 10:23 PM
What did Mr. Overton say?

Here's his twitter though I have the feeling he may end up deleting some of his comments. Apparently Sunny wasn't a nice enough person for Dillon.
https://twitter.com/OvertonDillon

Here's the NewsOK.com story:

http://newsok.com/dillon-overton-rips-former-sooners-coach-sunny-golloway-on-twitter/article/3852591?custom_click=rss

nighttrain12
6/16/2013, 10:24 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/content.newsok.com/newsok/images/blogs/misc/Screen-Shot-2013-06-16-at-8.44.13-PM.png

http://s3.amazonaws.com/content.newsok.com/newsok/images/blogs/misc/Screen-Shot-2013-06-16-at-8.47.41-PM.png

http://s3.amazonaws.com/content.newsok.com/newsok/images/blogs/misc/Screen-Shot-2013-06-16-at-8.47.27-PM.png

http://s3.amazonaws.com/content.newsok.com/newsok/images/blogs/misc/Screen-Shot-2013-06-16-at-8.47.02-PM.png

ou1883
6/16/2013, 10:44 PM
You can't expect every single player to love the head coach. Sunny guided the team to many many victories, no matter what the method may have been behind closed doors. I think Overton makes himself look bad with his comments.

Oh by the way, Jordan John and Tyson Seng jumped in on these tweets and defended Overton saying I know how you feel. I am shocked Auburn gave him the money they gave him considering his history with players, coaches, alumni, etc.

colston15
6/16/2013, 11:27 PM
Colston, refer to Jake Smith. SG is not a man of character. Teams won in spite of him.

I've never known what that meant. By contrast that would surely mean they lost because of him, right? All the blame when they lose, no credit when they win, huh? Impossible standards.

And I always heard Tadlock was the glue holding everything together. Then he left and we won more without him. Whatever.

I'm not crying crocodile tears that Sunny's gone. A coach is a coach. I'll blame it on Joe C if we can't find someone as good or better. Of course, we aren't likely to if we try to pinch pennies.

TweenerTues
6/17/2013, 08:45 AM
I've never known what that meant. By contrast that would surely mean they lost because of him, right? All the blame when they lose, no credit when they win, huh? Impossible standards.

And I always heard Tadlock was the glue holding everything together. Then he left and we won more without him. Whatever.

I'm not crying crocodile tears that Sunny's gone. A coach is a coach. I'll blame it on Joe C if we can't find someone as good or better. Of course, we aren't likely to if we try to pinch pennies.

This is what Joe C does, I trust he will make the correct choice. A couple of names out there have really good value. I think you can sign a formiddable replacement without breaking the bank (Heefner). Brad Hill,Whitting, Cal St Fullterton Coach, would be the ones who would command the most money. FWIW I would like to see Heefner get a shot. I'm looking forward to see who interviews and we are targeting. In the end, whoever receives that job will have 100% of the fan base backing him, something that could not be said for Sunny. I just want it to be 1 program again and not Sooners wanting Sooners to fail because they do not agree with the head coach. Boomer!

Ruf/Nek7
6/17/2013, 09:04 AM
http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2013/6/16/4436870/ou-oklahoma-sooners-baseball-dillon-overton-sunny-golloway-auburn-tigers

Wow, the things that are being said about Golloway are intriguing. I can clearly see why this team never won it all. I am not saying I knew this was going on but I knew there was something not right about Sonny. I for one am very happy to see him leave. Hope the next guy is more about the players and the program than anything else.

tycat947
6/17/2013, 09:34 AM
http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2013/6/16/4436870/ou-oklahoma-sooners-baseball-dillon-overton-sunny-golloway-auburn-tigers

Wow, the things that are being said about Golloway are intriguing. I can clearly see why this team never won it all. I am not saying I knew this was going on but I knew there was something not right about Sonny. I for one am very happy to see him leave. Hope the next guy is more about the players and the program than anything else.

I think this is exactly why Joe made no counter offer when Sunny called to tell him what Auburn was offering and why Joe offered job originally to Stephenson and then was pretty much forced to take Sunny after Stephenson's about face. I'd almost guess that Joe was hoping Sunny would leave. OUr program is going to be much better off, if not in the short term, definitely long term.

Don't know when I've ever seen a coach leave with such negative impressions from the players. Even Blake's players liked him.

FaninAma
6/17/2013, 03:30 PM
So I wonder if the SG defenders now will start calling the players whiny and bitchy. LOL.

nighttrain12
6/17/2013, 05:42 PM
So I wonder if the SG defenders now will start calling the players whiny and bitchy. LOL.

Well, it is rather immature of them to do this AFTER he leaves the program. Why didn't they go to Joe C. or Boren with their grievances?

Ruf/Nek7
6/17/2013, 06:02 PM
Well, it is rather immature of them to do this AFTER he leaves the program. Why didn't they go to Joe C. or Boren with their grievances?

I am sure there is a whole hell of a lot more to this than we know about so I won't judge any party. With that being said, I would tend to support the players before the coach.

FaninAma
6/17/2013, 06:05 PM
Becuase coaches have complete control over the players' futures while they play for the program. I wouldn't make waves either unless I was ready to give up my scholarship.

C&CDean
6/17/2013, 08:01 PM

I'll bite. Overton should STFU and worry about making a team in the pros.

I know you're a hater Steve - of pretty much all the coaches we have at some point, so I'm OK with your attitude on this. It's how you roll. Any problem is always a coach's fault. I roll different. I believe that if you're a mega-athlete worthy of donning the C&C, then go play like it. Blaming coaches for players being weak/mental/etc. is just too easy. It's not even intellectually honest. In fact, it's lazy.

Personally, I wish Sunny luck at allburn. I also wish whoever our new coach is luck. With our admin/fans he's gonna need it. BAD. Hopefully Sunny's departure will exorcise whatever ****ing demons have possessed this team over the past several years.

jk the sooner fan
6/17/2013, 08:54 PM
are coaches never to blame? ever?

seems like you give them a carte blanch pass - which doesnt make a lick of sense to me

Collier11
6/17/2013, 09:10 PM

No, just you the fan who complains that he doesn't do enough when he always did plenty. His relationship with his players, true or not, never affected his ability to win. Players still play hard for him, so I don't buy all of it. Players don't play hard for coaches they hate

C&CDean
6/17/2013, 09:19 PM
are coaches never to blame? ever?

seems like you give them a carte blanch pass - which doesnt make a lick of sense to me

Blame for what? Striking out? Dropping a perfectly thrown pass? Missing a simple tackle? Blowing a block? Missing a layup? Not grabbing some other rassler by the nuts before he gets grabbed?

We have people here who blame the coaches for the weather. For their sexual shortcomings. For their skin tags under their arms and in their crotch.

Watch OU tape. Any sport. Except softball. What's the glaring issue? Players screwing the pooch. I know. Coach's fault. Meh.

C&CDean
6/17/2013, 09:21 PM
Oh yeah. Go ahead and watch softball too. Keillani screwed the pooch last year in the rain, and damn near did it again this year. I know, Gasso's fault...

Collier11
6/17/2013, 09:26 PM
Perfect example Deano, in the Fiesta Blow against Boise, BV had the perfect play called on that 4th and 16 or whatever it was and Lendy Holmes screwed up and bit...we lose one of the greatest games ever rather than winning it. Some coaches are pricks, some are in the middle like Stoops, some are too soft. Again, his players never quit on him so it must not have been too bad

C&CDean
6/17/2013, 09:28 PM
And before you go "always the players???" let me say this: coaches make mistakes. They **** up recruiting (God knows how poorly our coaches have evaluated the character of our football recruits). They **** up who starts (not very often, but sometimes). They might even **** up with their schemes/plans/game plans/etc. All that being true, you put a stud athlete in a position to win/succeed, and then said athlete pisses down their own leg? Sorry, not the coach's fault.

Soonerjeepman
6/17/2013, 09:36 PM

really?

it starts in pee wee ball...coach knows best. I know that coaches (I've coach hs basketball) are not always suppose to be best friends with the players but coaches can be wrong.

Do you honestly think the words of a few players would take precedent over a HC? Hell, the HC of my son's baseball team is an a$$ and is 2 faced..do u think the AD or principal would listen to my son? no.

I will say Dillon should be quiet and let it go or tell SG personally.

Collier11
6/17/2013, 09:42 PM
Some of you seem to be confused, a Coach isn't supposed to be a sunshine pumper and isn't supposed to be nice. They aren't there to be your kids friend or these players friend. If they are likeable and successful then good, but a coach is there to teach discipline and hard work, a lot like a Dad. Unfortunately too many parents don't like someone else yelling at their kid, How Dare They?! Same with Fans

jk the sooner fan
6/17/2013, 10:21 PM
Blame for what? Striking out? Dropping a perfectly thrown pass? Missing a simple tackle? Blowing a block? Missing a layup? Not grabbing some other rassler by the nuts before he gets grabbed?

We have people here who blame the coaches for the weather. For their sexual shortcomings. For their skin tags under their arms and in their crotch.

Watch OU tape. Any sport. Except softball. What's the glaring issue? Players screwing the pooch. I know. Coach's fault. Meh.

blame for being general *********s that dont know how to deal with student athletes

hell - why dont we bring back John Blake....because clearly nothing was his fault - it was all the players

C&CDean
6/17/2013, 10:33 PM
blame for being general *********s that dont know how to deal with student athletes

hell - why dont we bring back John Blake....because clearly nothing was his fault - it was all the players

Huh? All the players loved Blake. He was their friend. Their bro.

FaninAma
6/17/2013, 10:42 PM
I'll bite. Overton should STFU and worry about making a team in the pros.

I know you're a hater Steve - of pretty much all the coaches we have at some point, so I'm OK with your attitude on this. It's how you roll. Any problem is always a coach's fault. I roll different. I believe that if you're a mega-athlete worthy of donning the C&C, then go play like it. Blaming coaches for players being weak/mental/etc. is just too easy. It's not even intellectually honest. In fact, it's lazy.

Personally, I wish Sunny luck at allburn. I also wish whoever our new coach is luck. With our admin/fans he's gonna need it. BAD. Hopefully Sunny's departure will exorcise whatever ****ing demons have possessed this team over the past several years.
Dean, I don't see the logic in blaming the lack of success of a program on kids who are 22 years of age or younger who have to put in 20 to 30 hours a week trying to improve themselves in their sport in addition to keeping themselves eligible in class. Yeah, they get their tuition, fees and books paid for if they are on scholarship but they aren't the ones making 6 or 7 figures to win games.

Coaches have complete control over their athletes futures in regards to their playing time and whether they keep their scholarship. The coach recruits the athlete. He(or she) decides which athletes get on the field. They put the coaching philosophy into place which the athlete must follow blindly without question. In other words, the coach(especially the head coach) has complete control over everything in their program. The athletes have very little control.

It is the coaches' job to put their athletes and programs in a position to be successful. Having a successful program requires both on the field coaching skills and off the field political or "people" skills.

Why was the rowing program able to get a $2million training facility pushed through the board of regents and Sunny failed to get the improvements he thought the baseball program needed. I would propose the rowing headcoach had a better relationship and was better at dealing with OU's administration.

BTW, being critical doesn't make one a "hater" any more than supporting a coach makes one a "pumper."

TweenerTues
6/17/2013, 11:21 PM
FaninAma, these kids play baseball 11.7 scholarships. None have full rides, these kids pay for some of their tuition. Do not lump them in with football/bball.

It takes a special kid to play for SG. He has one way of coaching, intimidation. Kids such as Coshow, Ryan Gibson, Jason Chowning, Billy Waltrip all came to OU as highly touted recruits. None were able to live up to the hype. How do I know how bad it is in the OU locked room? Look no further than kids we have lost to the draft in the past 4-5 years that should have stayed.

Antwonie Hubbard- left as a RS soph after being drafted in the 20+round.
Drew Harrison- got drafted because of 1 collegiate start. 23rdrounder
Chris Ellison - left after junior year 39th rounder.

Tyson Seng must still be controlled by SG. Tyson left the OU program twice because of his hate for SG. His article is the Enid paper was laughable. Prime example of a kid who cannot speak his mind. Congrats to Dillon for standing up. Many have wanted to but he is the only one who was able to do it.

This is just a few who left before they should have. In similar situations these kids would stay at school if the enjoyed playing for Sunny. These kids did not break the bank by any means. Lets remember that these are kids, playing baseball at OU is not their job! They are students first, yet we only judge them on the playing field. These kids deserve to be treated with respect. Sunny mentally abused them. SG is not a coach you want your child to play for.

Did OU win? Yes. Lets be real, 1 CWS trip in 9 years isn't exactly HOF worthy. Sunny ruled with an iron fist. I'm sure some of you do not care about the type of person he is, but you would feel different had you played for him, knew someone to play for them.

Life goes on. OU has a rich tradition of winning and would like to keep it that way.

Collier11
6/17/2013, 11:35 PM
and I guess you have spoken to those players and know why they left? They told you? No chance that some of them are poor and needed the money, even $10k or $20k? Or they weren't into school? Sure, Sunny could have been part of the issue but it is ridiculous to blame a coach for something you have no facts about

Collier11
6/17/2013, 11:40 PM
Dean, I don't see the logic in blaming the lack of success of a program on kids who are 22 years of age or younger who have to put in 20 to 30 hours a week trying to improve themselves in their sport in addition to keeping themselves eligible in class. Yeah, they get their tuition, fees and books paid for if they are on scholarship but they aren't the ones making 6 or 7 figures to win games.

Coaches have complete control over their athletes futures in regards to their playing time and whether they keep their scholarship. The coach recruits the athlete. He(or she) decides which athletes get on the field. They put the coaching philosophy into place which the athlete must follow blindly without question. In other words, the coach(especially the head coach) has complete control over everything in their program. The athletes have very little control.

It is the coaches' job to put their athletes and programs in a position to be successful. Having a successful program requires both on the field coaching skills and off the field political or "people" skills.

Why was the rowing program able to get a $2million training facility pushed through the board of regents and Sunny failed to get the improvements he thought the baseball program needed. I would propose the rowing headcoach had a better relationship and was better at dealing with OU's administration.

BTW, being critical doesn't make one a "hater" any more than supporting a coach makes one a "pumper."

His ability to gain the pockets of the donors and backing of his superiors has no reflection on his ability to coach...Those are two separate issues. The overriding fact here is that those of you who never liked SG are now hitching your wagon to the fact that he didn't get a long with some players. Too convenient. The guy was a hell of a Coach, maybe not a Top 10 Coach but he was legit. It all goes to the point, if you (any OU fan) want to gripe that we don't have a Top 10 Coach at OU and we aren't a Top 10 Baseball Program, go support the team and sit in the stands.

FaninAma
6/18/2013, 12:03 AM
Collier, if Sunny was bad at schmoozing the OU administrators and deep pocket donors to get the baseball facilities upgraded then his supporters shouldn't use the lack of facilities as an excuse for Sunny's failure to get the program to the next level.

TweenerTues
6/18/2013, 12:05 AM
and I guess you have spoken to those players and know why they left? They told you? No chance that some of them are poor and needed the money, even $10k or $20k? Or they weren't into school? Sure, Sunny could have been part of the issue but it is ridiculous to blame a coach for something you have no facts about

You guessed right!

jk the sooner fan
6/18/2013, 08:01 AM
what the hell is the purpose of a coach then?

in dean's world - they have no responsibility whatsoever - it's ALL on the players

i've never blamed coach for a dropped pass or a fumble - but i will blame a coach for mishandling a program - for not being able to develop players into the potential seen when they were recruited.......there are always busts in any program - not every kid is going to turn into what they hoped

but i will hold a coach responsible for the overall program

Golloway seemed to lack support from a large part of the administration and alumni - there's a reason for that

there's a reason Golloway left with the reputation he did - it isnt just because of message boards or a disgruntled player or two

there's a healthy balance to be applied in assigning "blame" to a coach and to players.....but to say that a coach is never to blame is just pure idiocy

badger
6/18/2013, 10:05 AM
I have been dealing with random sh!t all extended weekend and just now learned about the Sunny departure, the subsequent tweeting wars, and everything else that I already suspected about how donors, admin and players felt about him.

GOOD RIDDANCE!

Hope we get someone good to replace him.

hvhurricane
6/18/2013, 04:52 PM
For some reason baseball players don't feel like they should ever have to deal with an aggressive coach. I never played for a coach, through my D1 career, who wasn't an ******* on the court. Baseball players seem to really struggle with those types of coaches. If these guys think SG was bad, then they should have played for some of my coaches, many of which were similar to the Rutgers coach. Jake Smith said that now the program will be ruled by a democracy and not a dictatorship. College sports will never be a democracy. Never. The coaches have all the power. These guys should visit the football practices and see what it is like playing for Mike Stoops.

TweenerTues
6/18/2013, 05:27 PM
For some reason baseball players don't feel like they should ever have to deal with an aggressive coach. I never played for a coach, through my D1 career, who wasn't an ******* on the court. Baseball players seem to really struggle with those types of coaches. If these guys think SG was bad, then they should have played for some of my coaches, many of which were similar to the Rutgers coach. Jake Smith said that now the program will be ruled by a democracy and not a dictatorship. College sports will never be a democracy. Never. The coaches have all the power. These guys should visit the football practices and see what it is like playing for Mike Stoops.

With all due respect HV, that comment is horses**t.

colston15
6/18/2013, 06:07 PM
The names Tweener listed are all guys that had big time issues with Golloway. I'll attest to that. No idea if that's the sole reason they left, but it seems likely.

There were guys off this year's team, obviously, who didn't like him either, hated him in fact. They're all well documented now thanks to Twitter. The funny part is, that's about 10 guys off a roster of 33. Were some of the guys smart enough to keep their thoughts to themselves? Sure.

But SG has been a different character since Tadlock left. No walk in the park for anyone mind you, but much easier to play for.

Like I've said, I'm not too upset he's gone. It was time. Everyone's patience with the status quo, Sunny included, had evaporated.

I just hope we find a staff that builds mental toughness like the previous one. Our record in one-run games under Golloway was remarkable.

Heefner strikes me as the guy for job.

hvhurricane
6/18/2013, 06:39 PM
Heefner is not the guy for the job. That would be the cheap way to go.

hvhurricane
6/18/2013, 06:45 PM
With all due respect HV, that comment is horses**t.

Explain to me what you don't understand. This isn't my first rodeo. I know how things work in D1 sports. Give me any example of the kids who weren't happy under SG and I can give you the reason why. There are only a couple over the 9 years he was here who have a legit beef.

Collier11
6/18/2013, 08:19 PM
Collier, if Sunny was bad at schmoozing the OU administrators and deep pocket donors to get the baseball facilities upgraded then his supporters shouldn't use the lack of facilities as an excuse for Sunny's failure to get the program to the next level.

Well personally, you have never heard me say that. But my big issue is with this continued "next level" stuff. Are you saying CWS every year or what because he literally was doing stuff that less than 10 programs had done since he was around

Collier11
6/18/2013, 08:21 PM
Heefner is not the guy for the job. That would be the cheap way to go.

for a school and fan base that doesn't support baseball, that may be just what they want

8timechamps
6/18/2013, 09:42 PM
Some of you seem to be confused, a Coach isn't supposed to be a sunshine pumper and isn't supposed to be nice. They aren't there to be your kids friend or these players friend. If they are likeable and successful then good, but a coach is there to teach discipline and hard work, a lot like a Dad. Unfortunately too many parents don't like someone else yelling at their kid, How Dare They?! Same with Fans

Nonsense Collier. That's an old school mentality, that does absolutely nothing to promote player development and/or winning. Teaching discipline and hard work doesn't require one to be a complete *******.

You mentioned Stoops in another thread being a "middle" coach (I assume that meant middle of the road in terms of his personality). I think that speaks volumes about the way to coach successfully. If Stoops can be a "middle" coach, and develop players while winning, then there is no excuse for any coach out there.

This "coaches have to be hard nosed, mean dictators" is so antiquated. The problem is that so many armature coaches think it's the way you have to be, but that's for a completely different thread.

As I said in a previous post, I don't feel like I know enough about SG to give an educated opinion. I also think Overton chose the absolute wrong way to air his grievance, and I fully expect him to regret it at some point in life. However, this isn't an isolated occurrence (whether through Twitter, or other avenues). Something was amiss between SG and a lot of players, and it seems to be his dictator-like mentality.

tycat947
6/18/2013, 10:04 PM
Nonsense Collier. That's an old school mentality, that does absolutely nothing to promote player development and/or winning. Teaching discipline and hard work doesn't require one to be a complete *******.

You mentioned Stoops in another thread being a "middle" coach (I assume that meant middle of the road in terms of his personality). I think that speaks volumes about the way to coach successfully. If Stoops can be a "middle" coach, and develop players while winning, then there is no excuse for any coach out there.

This "coaches have to be hard nosed, mean dictators" is so antiquated. The problem is that so many armature coaches think it's the way you have to be, but that's for a completely different thread.

As I said in a previous post, I don't feel like I know enough about SG to give an educated opinion. I also think Overton chose the absolute wrong way to air his grievance, and I fully expect him to regret it at some point in life. However, this isn't an isolated occurrence (whether through Twitter, or other avenues). Something was amiss between SG and a lot of players, and it seems to be his dictator-like mentality.

Totally agree!

Also, evidently Overton has regretted and contacted Sunny with an apology. The bigger issue IMO is that Sunny responded to Overton's tweets. A 21-22 year old making negative tweets is one thing but a 50 year old that responded by tweeting back to the 21-22 year old. He shouldn't have responded at all or should have called or email the kid instead of responding publicly. Maybe that's just me.

picasso
6/18/2013, 10:36 PM
My wife played soccer at ORU whilst Galloway coached there. She always said he was not a favorite amongst the players.
It's one thing to be a hard *** walk the line type but I've always heard it's a little higher on the prick meter.

BoomerJack
6/18/2013, 10:39 PM
Overton apologized?? For what he said or because he said it over Twitter??

Romulus
6/18/2013, 11:06 PM
I have not seen anywhere that Overton apologized if anything Jake Trotter says that Overton is still backing what he said and isn't apologizing

Collier11
6/18/2013, 11:37 PM

Look at Saban, a complete ****** and by EVERY account an *******, and he is the best coach in the game. Also, many have said that while Sunny is really hard on his players, he has gotten better. You don't need to be nice, you highlighted that and I don't get it. I always respect your views but I don't get what your point is?

Collier11
6/18/2013, 11:38 PM
Totally agree!

Also, evidently Overton has regretted and contacted Sunny with an apology. The bigger issue IMO is that Sunny responded to Overton's tweets. A 21-22 year old making negative tweets is one thing but a 50 year old that responded by tweeting back to the 21-22 year old. He shouldn't have responded at all or should have called or email the kid instead of responding publicly. Maybe that's just me.

Im sorry but the age difference doesn't mean squat, they are both grown men

TweenerTues
6/18/2013, 11:41 PM
Explain to me what you don't understand. This isn't my first rodeo. I know how things work in D1 sports. Give me any example of the kids who weren't happy under SG and I can give you the reason why. There are only a couple over the 9 years he was here who have a legit beef.

I would have to name off 9 years of rosters. You would need to explain a lot of occasions. Kids disliked Sunny whether they started or were on the bench. It was program wide hate. Every coach or staff member that has traveled with the team would attest to his character. If there were to come out publicly you would just call them whiners anyway! HV you may write on this board and think you know OU baseball, but you haven't the slightest clue what goes on. Ill leave it at that. SG is garnering too much attention, and he loves it!

8timechamps
6/18/2013, 11:51 PM
Look at Saban, a complete ****** and by EVERY account an *******, and he is the best coach in the game. Also, many have said that while Sunny is really hard on his players, he has gotten better. You don't need to be nice, you highlighted that and I don't get it. I always respect your views but I don't get what your point is?

Yeah, I meant to highlight the whole line (just about being a hard ***)...apparently, I only 'bolded' the nice part. Sorry 'bout that.

Anyway, I completely understand where you're coming from, and I too respect your opinion. I think there is certainly a place in every sport for a coach to be a hardline, dictaor-type coach. In fact, there are times (whether in practice or games) that it's required. My issue is with coaches that make that their sole means of operation. The 24-7-365 *******.

I suppose my stance is really focused on youth coaching (high school and below). Like I said in my earlier post, that issue could be an entire topic on it's own, but to touch on it (and where I am coming from), too many youth coaches coach that way because that's how they were coached. The problem is, they remember the *** that coached them being an *** all the time. In reality, he probably wasn't, but that's what they remember (at least that's my take), but they take it a step further and become the 24-7-365 ***. At the youth level, patience is almost always the first tool in a successful coaches bag. And in almost every way, patience and being a dick head are mutually exclusive. Many times, the coach ends up driving kids away that may otherwise develop their skill and fall in love with the game.

I know that last paragraph is in reference to youth sports, but I figured that would at least give you an idea of where I'm coming from.

As for Saban, he's clearly an *** to the media, and from the sound of things, he can be an *** to work for. However, you never hear about former players calling him out for being as ***. That tells me that internally, where it matters most, he's only an *** when the situation dictates he be that way.

To me, coaching can follow the same old saying that works for almost all relationships: "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar". It sounds like SG used a lot of vinegar. I do hesitate to lynch SG, because I know that you listen to both sides and the truth typically lies somewhere in the middle. Which is why I haven't really given an opinion, I just don't know enough.

Hope that clarifies it a little.

badger
6/19/2013, 08:13 AM
I would have to say that in the case of coaches that are big meanies to players, the Manginos, the Golloways, the Sabans, the Leaches, if you win, it doesn't matter how mean you are. The players deal with the not-niceties a lot better if there's winning.

Lose and you're fired or ousted in some less demeaning way... and yes, your players may take to twitter.

And once again, good riddance to Sunny Galloway. I really, really hope some of the things the Internet has alluded to are reported now that he is gone. What am I talking about? Oh, there's so much to choose from.

tycat947
6/19/2013, 09:08 AM
Overton apologized?? For what he said or because he said it over Twitter??

According to Golloway he did, but then again it's Golloway. In spite of his coaching abilities, it's great he's gone.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/printerfriendlyblog.aspx?articleid=20811

Golloway talks Twitter, his farewell from OU and the Sooners' future
By ERIC BAILEY Sports Writer
6/17/2013 1:14:00 PM

Former Oklahoma pitcher Dillon Overton has not hidden his feelings for outgoing Sooners coach Sunny Golloway.

Overton, a second-round draft pick who reportedly agreed to terms with the Oakland Athletics on Monday, took to Twitter to relay his feelings to Golloway.

The tweets from @OvertonDillon directed to @coach_G29 (Golloway):

*** “All the crap I went through this year/season... But my team helped me through it. Good luck with the new coach boys. #finally #playforyou”

*** @coach_G29 thanks for being two faced the entire time I knew you. Lied to our whole team and never had any of our backs. The program made me

*** @coach_G29 better...which is something you couldn't do. I hope all the talking behind my back to my teammates comes back to you in some way

*** @coach_G29 ...You really disappointed me and all my teammates. Good luck at Auburn

Golloway did respond to Overton, but has since taken down the tweet:

*** Im sorry you feel this way and chose to do this dillon. RT @coach_G29 ...You really disappointed me and all my teammates

Golloway did an interview with KREF Sportstalk 1400 on Monday morning. He didn’t specifically point out Overton, but alluded to the incident.

Golloway: “Unfortunately, we’re all fully aware that there was some negative feedback from some particular … I feel bad about that because the timing of some of that stuff that comes out negative on social media seems to be late at night and nocturnal activity and then I have a long, (apologizing) tweet this morning from a player that said he learned a valuable lesson and he’s really sorry and he feels like it’s damaged his relationship with me.”

Did Overton apologize? While it appears that way through Golloway’s words, no one has publicly confirmed that.

Golloway said Auburn reached out to some of his representatives before the Super Regional at LSU. Golloway added he spoke with the team about the Auburn position on Sunday. Golloway added that his pick for the next Oklahoma coach would have been Todd Butler, who was named Wichita State’s coach on Monday.

Other highlights during Golloway’s interview with Toby Rowland:

Golloway on coaching at Oklahoma and Oral Roberts during most of his career: “I thank the state of Oklahoma and thank all of its fans. I know there are some people that are unhappy. I know there are some people that are angry. I know there are some people that are happy to see me go and that’s life and I understand that and I accept it. I have thick skin.”

Golloway on saying good-bye for to his OU players: (Auburn football) Coach (Gus) Malzhan and I were talking … he had the luxury of flying back to Arkansas State and telling his whole team in one setting because they were there … our players were all over the country immediately. It makes it tough when you leave in baseball. I didn’t get to talk to all of the players at Oral Roberts when I left. They were all over the country. I didn’t get to talk to all of these guys. They are all over the country. You want to thank them and you are not able to.”

Golloway on relationship with legendary OU coach Enos Semore: Coach Semore was never going to embrace me. He made that very public. It goes back to Stan Meek getting one semester (Note: Meek coached one season, 1990) and not getting longer. I agree with that. Stan Meek should have gotten longer than one semester to prove he was a good baseball coach. Coach Semore left in January and Coach Meek was dismissed that following June. It was not this administration. It was not any of us. But it started a downward spiral with the former coach. He wanted Gene Stephenson – we all know that story. He told me he would be supportive, but he wasn’t supportive. He was outwardly unsupportive. It made it a tough job. Coach (Larry) Cochell … talked to him at times but he just didn’t to come around the ballpark. It made this job difficult. Maybe too difficult.

Golloway on OU’s baseball: “The University of Oklahoma is a great place and to coach at its baseball program is a great job … my only hope and prayer for the University of Oklahoma baseball program is that they can get all of their families together. They can get their past, present and their future together. They need a coach to walk away saying good things and being public about what a great place it is. That hasn’t happened for 30-something years. It’s happening today.

Here is Golloway’s interview with KREF Sports Talk 1400

Follow OU Sports Writers Guerin Emig and Eric Bailey on Twitter.

tycat947
6/19/2013, 09:14 AM
Another article from Newsok.com

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-baseball-joe-simpson-thrilled-that-sunny-golloway-left-ou/article/3853988

Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
Former Sooner standout among several former players who have expressed their feelings about Golloway, who is now the coach at Auburn.

NORMAN — The end of Oklahoma baseball's Sunny Golloway era elicited a wide variety of reactions: Anger, disappointment, indifference and — in some instances — outright glee.

Joe Simpson, an All-America outfielder at OU under legendary former Sooners coach Enos Semore, didn't hold back when contacted by telephone Tuesday afternoon.

“I'm so thrilled that he's gone that they could hire a basset hound and it would be an improvement,” said Simpson, an Atlanta Braves broadcaster the past two decades.

“I haven't had anything to do with the program since near the end of the Larry Cochell era. I didn't want to have anything to do with it as long as Sunny Golloway was the head coach because I think he's a sorry individual. I think he's a bad guy. I want to thank Auburn University for taking him off our hands and getting him out of Norman.”

Golloway accepted Auburn's head coaching position last weekend, bringing an end to his nearly nine-year run as OU coach.

In a Tuesday interview with The Oklahoman, he admitted feeling hurt after some of the harsher comments, not the least of which came Sunday night from OU pitcher Dillon Overton's Twitter account.

Overton, who was picked in the second round of the MLB Draft by the Oakland Athletics, sent three tweets to Golloway, calling his old coach “two-faced,” and saying he “lied to our whole team and never had any of our backs.”

A few other Golloway-era Sooners sent concurring tweets; former reserve catcher Jake Smith said Golloway is “crooked” and “puts out a huge front to the public.”

Golloway said some of those critical players — he wouldn't say which ones — have since apologized.

“It's against the law to drink and drive because you could hurt somebody,” Golloway said. “But it's OK. It's just words, so you forgive and move on.”

Fair or not, Golloway leaves Norman an extremely polarizing figure.

Golloway's on-field success throughout his eight-plus seasons as head coach speaks for itself; the Sooners just completed a fifth consecutive 40-win season and won their first Big 12 Tournament since 1997.

OU also reached the 2010 College World Series under Golloway. But throughout his tenure, Golloway made lots of enemies, particularly among players from past eras.

Simpson said he and other Sooners from the Semore era — which lasted from 1969-89 and included five College World Series appearances — haven't felt welcome around the program under Golloway.

“Those of us that have been estranged from the program for a decade still want the program to be great,” Simpson said. “We want, more than anything, for Enos Semore to be a guy that is still involved in the program. When a class act like Enos Semore can't even hang around the ballclub, that is a really sad state of affairs for all of us.”

Jordan John, who pitched two seasons at Oklahoma under Golloway and is playing his first year in the Detroit Tigers' organization, responded Sunday night to Overton's tweets with additional negative comments about his former coach — “I busted my (rear) for the man and after (a Super Regional), he told me I was worthless” — but quickly deleted them.

John said in a telephone interview that he'd apologized to Golloway and regretted his tweet.

“The remark I made (Sunday) night — in the heat of the moment I said something,” John said. “I was getting heat from former teammates and guys at OU that are there now. I did say things that were tasteless.

“I wouldn't be sitting here enjoying playing professional baseball if it weren't for OU.”

With the Golloway era ended, Oklahoma's focus turns to finding his replacement. Dallas Baptist's Dan Heefner has generated lots of buzz as a candidate, and many more coaches around the country will surely be interested in the job.

“I hope the program moves in an even stronger direction without me,” Golloway said. “No coach before me has said that, and I'm saying that. I want my time here and what I've done to help strengthen the future. I would tell the new head coach that he got a great job and he is gonna have a great time.”

Golloway expressed excitement about the future at Auburn and said he'll remember his time at OU fondly, but added he doesn't expect negative comments from his Oklahoma detractors to stop anytime soon.

“It hurts,” Golloway said. “You wonder what you did wrong. You must've done things to offend people. You shed tears over it, pick yourself up, brush yourself off and move on.

“But for guys like (radio host) Jim Traber, coach Enos Semore and whoever else wants to jump on, this is their day. They're allowed to be critical.”

MsProudSooner
6/19/2013, 09:24 AM
Coaches leave schools all the time, but I don't think I've ever seen such an overwhelming public backlash against a coach by his former players as we are seeing now. If it were only one or two players, you could blame it on sour grapes, but this is obviously more than that.

tycat947
6/19/2013, 10:30 AM
Coaches leave schools all the time, but I don't think I've ever seen such an overwhelming public backlash against a coach by his former players as we are seeing now. If it were only one or two players, you could blame it on sour grapes, but this is obviously more than that.

Exactly! I think we can see why fan support and attendance were floundering.

TweenerTues
6/19/2013, 10:41 AM
I think it has been established that Sunny Golloway is a rotten individual. Look no further than the people who turned down the move to Auburn. Jack Giese, who i think we can agree, is an up and comer in college baseball has decieded to roll the dice and stay at OU for the time being. Why would Giese make this decision? Im sure with the SEC budget Sunny receives he can afford to pay Giese top dollar, right? If SG and Giese were to have success it would almost be certain that Giese would be in line for a head coaching gig. So why didn't he go? Family reasons? This is a guy who has no guarantee of staying at OU and turned down big money to go coach in the SEC under the greatest coach in OU history (As defended by some of you).

Next all reports also have Ryan Gaines staying at OU, without the security of him having a job after the hire. Gaines and SG have been together since ORU with a brief break during SGs asst years at OU. Ryan Gaines does have stonger Oklahoma ties than Giese but why would he too turn down a pay increase? Family probably kept Ryan Gaines here but Sunny thought they were for sure coming with him to Auburn and even flew them in for his presser.

With this tidbit of information I think you can see, without a shadow of a doubt that OU baseball was not as it seemed. This program had major debacles every year during season ("entitlement" issues, 2011 debacle that was made public). Sunny seeks drama/excuses for why his team plays bad. Cannot look in the mirror and realize that he called every offensive play and in years past every pitch. He has more impact on a game then Bob Stoops does, but its all the players fault when they lose?

In short, Why did Giese and Ryan Gaines not follow SG? They have no job security once the next guy is hired. They risk their family's well being over a move to Auburn? Does this back up everything Overton said on Twitter? I don't think it defends SG's character.

And to Clarify, Sunny has only implied that Dillon had apologized. Never come out and said it, Dillon hasnt come out publicly to retract his statements. If history tells us anything it is that Sunny will say anything if he thinks it will make him look better to the public. Do not believe a word that comes out of his mouth. Blaming Dillons remarks on "nocturnal activity" aka DRUNK! I will say this plain and sober, Sunny Golloway is a liar. I believe that Giese and Gaines' actions back that claim up.

C&CDean
6/19/2013, 10:56 AM
what the hell is the purpose of a coach then?

in dean's world - they have no responsibility whatsoever - it's ALL on the players

i've never blamed coach for a dropped pass or a fumble - but i will blame a coach for mishandling a program - for not being able to develop players into the potential seen when they were recruited.......there are always busts in any program - not every kid is going to turn into what they hoped

but i will hold a coach responsible for the overall program

Golloway seemed to lack support from a large part of the administration and alumni - there's a reason for that

there's a reason Golloway left with the reputation he did - it isnt just because of message boards or a disgruntled player or two

there's a healthy balance to be applied in assigning "blame" to a coach and to players.....but to say that a coach is never to blame is just pure idiocy

As usual, Jon completely jumps off the cliff.

If you bothered to read what I wrote, I said it's not the coach's fault when a player screws the pooch on the field. That's it Jon. People like you wanna scream for a coach's head if a guy drops a fly ball. When called on it you go "well he could have recruited him better" or "he could have hit more fungos to him" or "the bottom line is the coach."

If a coach's scheme/plan/etc. doesn't work on a regular basis, then yeah, blame the coach. If a few knuckleheads whine because the coach is mean, meh. Sunny is a good coach. He may be a prick, but he's a good coach.

The real rub with me is that I've listened to it on this board for dang near 20 years, and I've listened to it in the stands for longer than that. Every time OU loses a game; or plays down to an inferior opponent and manages to win, there's a very loud/strong contingent of our "fans" who scream "fire Coach XXX." Always fire a coach. Never say "you know, if Billy Badass the All-World QB needs to screw his head on straight."

Boomer.....
6/19/2013, 11:18 AM
Jason Kersey ‏@jasonkersey 2m
Former #Sooners All-American Joe Simpson, now an Atlanta Braves broadcaster: "They could hire a basset hound and it would be an improvement"

heh

FaninAma
6/19/2013, 11:19 AM
I think it is becoming rather obvious why donors and
administrators were reluctant to upgrade OU's baseball facilities.

tycat947
6/19/2013, 01:11 PM
I think it is becoming rather obvious why donors and
administrators were reluctant to upgrade OU's baseball facilities.

Agreed, especially with donors. But Joe C and OU has spent over $2M on upgrades that mostly effect the players (hitting facility, scoreboard, locker rooms, etc). I wouldn't be surprised to see future renovations/expansion to happen rather quickly.

soonertravis
6/19/2013, 03:48 PM
I think people are getting confused between a hard-nosed coach and a jerk. I have no personal knowledge, not even second hand knowledge of the Golloway situation. Coaching in general is difficult. It often requires different methods of motivation for different players, and sometimes for a single player at different times. I played high school sports and played for people who yelled and people who were players coaches and my favorite was the yeller. The reason was that he yelled with purpose. He did it when he needed in order to get better performance from players. I would hazard to guess it is not yelling and being hard-nosed that these players didn't like. One thing I always knew about my coach was that he had my back and I always knew where I stood. I had a players coach who started me for 5 games and then benched me without a word being said. I didn't even get on the floor in basketball for the next 5 games. Didn't know if it was alack of effort, not being as good as another kid. Just never knew where I stood.

But the toughest of the coaches who demanded the most from me also made sure I knew where I stood. He didn't talk about it to other players. He didn't put me in the doghouse without explaining what I needed to do to improve.

The theme from each story from former players seem to have more to do with lying, back-stabbing, talking about things with others instead of being direct with the player. A coach should never put team stuff out in the media. It just leads to hard feelings.

That Overton was a player who spoke out is telling to me. He has no reason to be disgruntled over his role. He was a weekend started since his freshman year. He was just drafted in the second round. And yet his frustration was so great that it boiled over in public. It tells me a lot about the kind of human being Golloway is. He won a lot of games, but it takes more than winning to be a successful coach.

tycat947
6/19/2013, 03:54 PM
I think people are getting confused between a hard-nosed coach and a jerk. I have no personal knowledge, not even second hand knowledge of the Golloway situation. Coaching in general is difficult. It often requires different methods of motivation for different players, and sometimes for a single player at different times. I played high school sports and played for people who yelled and people who were players coaches and my favorite was the yeller. The reason was that he yelled with purpose. He did it when he needed in order to get better performance from players. I would hazard to guess it is not yelling and being hard-nosed that these players didn't like. One thing I always knew about my coach was that he had my back and I always knew where I stood. I had a players coach who started me for 5 games and then benched me without a word being said. I didn't even get on the floor in basketball for the next 5 games. Didn't know if it was alack of effort, not being as good as another kid. Just never knew where I stood.

But the toughest of the coaches who demanded the most from me also made sure I knew where I stood. He didn't talk about it to other players. He didn't put me in the doghouse without explaining what I needed to do to improve.

The theme from each story from former players seem to have more to do with lying, back-stabbing, talking about things with others instead of being direct with the player. A coach should never put team stuff out in the media. It just leads to hard feelings.

That Overton was a player who spoke out is telling to me. He has no reason to be disgruntled over his role. He was a weekend started since his freshman year. He was just drafted in the second round. And yet his frustration was so great that it boiled over in public. It tells me a lot about the kind of human being Golloway is. He won a lot of games, but it takes more than winning to be a successful coach.

We have a winner!!!

colston15
6/19/2013, 03:58 PM
I'm pretty much done with this debate -- forever -- but let's slow the lynch mob down. Some guys like him, some guys don't. Here's three that do like Golloway.

http://lite.newsok.com/2013/06/19/jordan-john-me-and-coach-g-are-on-great-terms/

http://enidnews.com/sportslocal/x1885648891/Seng-is-sorry-to-see-coach-leave-Sooners

http://sportstalk1400.podomatic.com/entry/2013-06-18T11_52_42-07_00

TweenerTues
6/19/2013, 04:07 PM
I'm pretty much done with this debate -- forever -- but let's slow the lynch mob down. Some guys like him, some guys don't. Here's three that do like Golloway.

http://lite.newsok.com/2013/06/19/jordan-john-me-and-coach-g-are-on-great-terms/

http://enidnews.com/sportslocal/x1885648891/Seng-is-sorry-to-see-coach-leave-Sooners

http://sportstalk1400.podomatic.com/entry/2013-06-18T11_52_42-07_00

A hefty LOL to these. Caleb Bushyhead would make a nice politican, very polished. Seng and Bushyhead are both coaching now, with eyes on a volunteer job somewhere (Tyson mentions OU.) Would it be smart of them to come out publicly and bash someone who could help you potentially land a job? Would you bad mouth your previous boss in the newspaper if you knew he may help you get a job in the future? Just food for thought.

colston15
6/19/2013, 04:11 PM
And they had to say anything at all?

TweenerTues
6/19/2013, 04:40 PM
Bushyhead, yes. Tyson, No. Jordan John is all over the map. His situation resembles someone who forgot everyone can see what you write on social media so now he is playing the brown noser. If you listened to Hubbard interview you can tell some honest discomfort, even going as far as saying they did not always get along.

Tyson is trying to get back into coaching. why would he want to incriminate himself by bashing G or saying no comment. Coming out in support of SG does not hurt Tyson Seng's coaching career, it only helps it. A no comment would play no role in Tyson becoming a volunteer anywhere. I am very familiar with Tyson and SG's relationship and this is downright comical. All this proves is that players are still scared of SG. My challange for you is to hunt down a former OU baseball player, starter or bench player, and ask them their thoughts on SG. Don't put a microphone in their face or tweet after but do this in a private setting. You may be suprised what you find out.

To my knowledge many former players were contacted by reporters to comment on the situation. Most wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole.

C&CDean
6/19/2013, 04:56 PM
So Sunny's a prick. BFD. If you troglodytes think that's the reason we haven't won a NC in baseball then you're beyond help/hope. We lose because players poop down their leg at critical times. This year is a perfect example of havng a team that is supposed to be good enough to get to Omaha...yet our batters look like the Bad News Bears at the most critical times. Sunny's fault cause he's mean to them. Double meh.

Now that he's gone we'll see if everything magically changes in the baseball program. I mean other than us magically moving to the bottom of the Big-12/9 heap. That's my expectation, so if we manage to go .500 next year it'll be a good one.

TweenerTues
6/19/2013, 05:05 PM
So Sunny's a prick. BFD. If you troglodytes think that's the reason we haven't won a NC in baseball then you're beyond help/hope. We lose because players poop down their leg at critical times. This year is a perfect example of havng a team that is supposed to be good enough to get to Omaha...yet our batters look like the Bad News Bears at the most critical times. Sunny's fault cause he's mean to them. Double meh.

Now that he's gone we'll see if everything magically changes in the baseball program. I mean other than us magically moving to the bottom of the Big-12/9 heap. That's my expectation, so if we manage to go .500 next year it'll be a good one.

I do not think it was the hitters fault. I feel like some of those guys should not be on the field. They are not good enough to play at OU. They did not poop down there legs. They were bad all year, therefore that makes them bad hitters! Having a bad lineup comes back to the coach.

Collier11
6/19/2013, 07:51 PM
As for Saban, he's clearly an *** to the media, and from the sound of things, he can be an *** to work for. However, you never hear about former players calling him out for being as ***. That tells me that internally, where it matters most, he's only an *** when the situation dictates he be that way.

To me, coaching can follow the same old saying that works for almost all relationships: "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar". It sounds like SG used a lot of vinegar. I do hesitate to lynch SG, because I know that you listen to both sides and the truth typically lies somewhere in the middle. Which is why I haven't really given an opinion, I just don't know enough.

Hope that clarifies it a little.

Let Saban have one losing season and see if any of his players turn on him...

8timechamps
6/19/2013, 09:03 PM
Let Saban have one losing season and see if any of his players turn on him...

That's it, you and me...cage match!

Just don't hit me too hard, my bones are getting brittle these days.

hvhurricane
6/19/2013, 09:19 PM
http://sportstalk1400.podomatic.com/entry/2013-06-17T06_43_34-07_00

Here is the podcast of SG and Toby from Monday morning. SG pretty much said in detail what it was like to be the head coach at OU when the Enos detractors are all over the place. The only thing he said during the interview that I don't agree with is the fact that he got Ray Hayward fired. I don't know why he will not just admit it. Ray should have been fired. I know the Enos lovers don't want to hear this, but Ray was the WORST pitching coach in the history of the program. If the Enos lovers want to hate him for that then they are crazy. I am 37 years old and know very little about Enos. I am sure he is a great man and he did a great job at OU. However, there is not a recruit/player out there who has ever heard the name Enos Seymore. Getting him, or one of his old cronies, like Jim Simpson, to be involved in the program is not going to make the program better.

OUmillenium
6/22/2013, 10:32 PM
And before you go "always the players???" let me say this: coaches make mistakes. They **** up recruiting (God knows how poorly our coaches have evaluated the character of our football recruits). They **** up who starts (not very often, but sometimes). They might even **** up with their schemes/plans/game plans/etc. All that being true, you put a stud athlete in a position to win/succeed, and then said athlete pisses down their own leg? Sorry, not the coach's fault.

Excellence in its logic. Does not really fit on a sports forum. Good enough to be a sig for any poster who is a taxpayer.

OUmillenium
6/22/2013, 10:34 PM

There is no way you are from Jenks:O

Collier11
6/23/2013, 09:22 AM
There is no way you are from Jenks:O
That would be correct :D

TweenerTues
6/26/2013, 04:58 PM
Golloway rehires Auburn Pitching coach, will go to the pros to find his hitting coach.

Ruf/Nek7
6/27/2013, 10:33 AM
Hearing all over twitter that OU will hire Pete Hughes from Va. Tech.