PDA

View Full Version : Help Colley fix someitng: The Mower Edition

colleyvillesooner
6/14/2013, 11:19 AM
These are usually good for a few laughs at my expense.

I have a hand me down mower, a John Deere JS63. i will prime it and it will start right up then die 5 seconds later. air filter is clean.

Here is the service manual

http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMGC00397_B0/Output/GC00397B08.html

I have read the troubleshooting a looked a few other places that say the carb could be gummed up, but i was seeing if there were any ideas before i go taking **** apart.
Commence help. ;)

badger
6/14/2013, 11:26 AM
I hope it goes without saying that you have a full gas tank. I recall mom having this issue with her old red Toro when I was little.

The one time I ran over a dog toy the mower stopped working temporarily too. I also discovered how much I really needed to clean around the blade area, so try that too, I guess

olevetonahill
6/14/2013, 12:23 PM
Need Mo Info. on whats it doing
Does it run til, ya engage the Blade? put it in gear? or just run and then die with out you doing anything ?

OULenexaman
6/14/2013, 12:50 PM
it's afraid of work

colleyvillesooner
6/14/2013, 12:53 PM
Need Mo Info. on whats it doing
Does it run til, ya engage the Blade? put it in gear? or just run and then die with out you doing anything ?

I start it and wether I engage the drive belt or do nothing it just dies. Nothing blocking the blade. Worked last week, ran a little odd, then nothing this week.

Has has, but the gas could be a little old. Would that matter.?

sooner_born_1960
6/14/2013, 12:54 PM
Like two weeks old?

pphilfran
6/14/2013, 01:23 PM
Sounds like it is running out of gas....duh....

Pull the fuel line and make sure fuel is flowing (probably ok since you can prime it)
Once it fires up hit the primer button as it starts to croak to keep it running and see if it might self clean...
I would get a can of spray carb cleaner and blow the snot out of it while still installed (minus air filter) ....don't shoot down the throat into the port and fill the cylinder with cleaner..

badger
6/14/2013, 01:37 PM
Another route: Go to Youtube and type in something like "mower quits after starting" and you'll see some user videos of them repairing various mowers through various means. I even saw one guy use a loaf of bread's twist tie to unplug a fuel area

XingTheRubicon
6/14/2013, 01:40 PM
It's the spark plug.

olevetonahill
6/14/2013, 01:50 PM
Ben, If it ran fine a week ago and now it isnt. sounds like condensation may have built up in your tank.
Like was mentioned Undo the fuel line and drain a pint or so out into a Glass, Jar anything you can see thru. Look for water in the bottom.
That dont work put a can of carb cleaner in the tank .
Good luck

olevetonahill
6/14/2013, 01:54 PM
OK just looked at the OnLine manual. Check that Fuel cap and make sure the VENT is clear. If that is plugged then it will create a vacuum in the tank and wont let the gas feed to the Carb

C&CDean
6/14/2013, 02:04 PM
Sell it and buy a Hustler. You're welcome.

olevetonahill
6/14/2013, 02:07 PM
Sell it and buy a
Hustler. You're welcome.

He wants to MOW his lawn, Not sit in the Bathroom readin all day.

C&CDean
6/14/2013, 02:09 PM
Hustler has words?

olevetonahill
6/14/2013, 02:12 PM
Hustler has words?

I was using one of those euphemisms :very_drunk:

deweydw
6/14/2013, 04:11 PM
Check the fuel filter as well. Could be clogged up.

hawaii 5-0
6/14/2013, 04:19 PM
I'm no small engine mechanic, but if you have fuel, a clean airfilter and a good plug I suggest checking out the carb and make sure it's clean.

5-0

8timechamps
6/14/2013, 04:31 PM
It's the spark plug.

That was my first thought too.

I'd change that first (cheap, easy to do).

OULenexaman
6/14/2013, 09:30 PM
Good lord. A mower engine is the simplest internal combustion motor ever made. Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. A bad carb gasket will cause that. Fires up and takes in too much air. Then shuts down.

olevetonahill
6/14/2013, 09:36 PM
Good lord. A mower engine is the simplest internal combustion motor ever made. Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. A bad carb gasket will cause that. Fires up and takes in too much air. Then shuts down.

I'm waiting on him to tell me if he checked the fuel cap and then water in the fuel
2 of the most common probs.

colleyvillesooner
6/15/2013, 07:04 AM

I'm waiting on him to tell me if he checked the fuel cap and then water in the fuel
2 of the most common probs.

I'll check this when I get back from The Father's Day weekend at the lake. Does the manual say how to check the fuel line? Never worked on a motor before.

Grass is gonna be TALL before I can now it again. Which I don't mind I now my st. Augustine high but it looks silly next to my two neighbors who scalp theirs every week and wonder why they have to water so much.

olevetonahill
6/15/2013, 07:20 AM
I'll check this when I get back from The Father's Day weekend at the lake. Does the manual say how to check the fuel line? Never worked on a motor before.

Grass is gonna be TALL before I can now it again. Which I don't mind I now my st. Augustine high but it looks silly next to my two neighbors who scalp theirs every week and wonder why they have to water so much.

Since it ran fine when you used it last. and Now wont stay running Im betting on the Fuel either water in it or the vent on the cap is plugged

OULenexaman
6/15/2013, 07:20 AM
Hey. Father's Day weekend is made for no mowing. Just golfing and drinking :D

olevetonahill
6/15/2013, 07:22 AM
Ben , a Simple test to see if its the cap is to just loosen the cap up and start the thing. If it stays running then ya know.

Also is there any chance a Mouse or sompun could have chewed on the lines ?

OULenexaman
6/15/2013, 07:32 AM
Ben , a Simple test to see if its the cap is to just loosen the cap up and start the thing. If it stays running then ya know.

Also is there any chance a Mouse or sompun could have chewed on the lines ? even a mouse don't confuse a fuel line with bacon and cheese. :D

olevetonahill
6/15/2013, 07:51 AM
even a mouse don't confuse a fuel line with bacon and cheese. :D

They be some pretty weird Mices out there. :biggrin:

colleyvillesooner
6/16/2013, 05:33 PM
Not the cap. Loosened it and still died. Got a spark plug while out and about and will try that later.

olevetonahill
6/16/2013, 07:54 PM
Not the cap. Loosened it and still died. Got a spark plug while out and about and will try that later.

Got a weed eater that I bot new 2 years ago. Dude used it maybe 2 hours then let it sit ferever. Tried to use it this year . it is crap. Cleaned the Plug used a New gas , still wouldnt run . Poured a Little Rubbin Alcohol in the Tank Plus some Injection cleaner . It aint runnin right but its runnin.

Check for condensation in the Fuel.

pphilfran
6/17/2013, 10:05 AM
Got a weed eater that I bot new 2 years ago. Dude used it maybe 2 hours then let it sit ferever. Tried to use it this year . it is crap. Cleaned the Plug used a New gas , still wouldnt run . Poured a Little Rubbin Alcohol in the Tank Plus some Injection cleaner . It aint runnin right but its runnin.

Check for condensation in the Fuel.
Little doubt it is a fuel problem...if it fires up and runs for a few seconds it isn't likely to be electrical/ignition related....

Remove the spark plug....drain the fuel tank...empty to carb float bowl (remove fuel line from carb)...spray the **** out of the float bowl (through fuel line hole) with carb cleaner (alky might do)..spray the snot out of the inside of the carb and any small ports you might be able to get to...pull start the thing a dozen times to shove all the cleaner crap out of the cyl/portcarb areas....connect fuel line and install spark plug...fill with fresh gas....fire er up...

Tulsa_Fireman
6/17/2013, 10:17 AM
Rub some boobies on it.

Problem solved.

olevetonahill
6/17/2013, 10:27 AM
Rub some boobies on it.

Problem solved.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/530385/guinness-brilliant_medium.jpg

colleyvillesooner
6/17/2013, 12:06 PM
Little doubt it is a fuel problem...if it fires up and runs for a few seconds it isn't likely to be electrical/ignition related....

Remove the spark plug....drain the fuel tank...empty to carb float bowl (remove fuel line from carb)...spray the **** out of the float bowl (through fuel line hole) with carb cleaner (alky might do)..spray the snot out of the inside of the carb and any small ports you might be able to get to...pull start the thing a dozen times to shove all the cleaner crap out of the cyl/portcarb areas....connect fuel line and install spark plug...fill with fresh gas....fire er up...

So something like this?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-VOC-Compliant-Carb-and-Air-Intake-Cleaner/16821282

have to go to walmart for work in a little bit and want to get whatever i need while there.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/17/2013, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't spend a dime until you did some diagnostic work to it.

Put it on the dyno. Maybe some timed quarters.

pphilfran
6/17/2013, 02:44 PM
So something like this?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-VOC-Compliant-Carb-and-Air-Intake-Cleaner/16821282

have to go to walmart for work in a little bit and want to get whatever i need while there.

that would work

olevetonahill
6/17/2013, 03:26 PM
Got my weedeater running, Put straight gas in the tank and shook it up to loosen any carp build up in it, Dumped it out, Poured soen Straigh gas back in with some Rubbin alcohol Started it ran a few seconds , Killed did that 4 or 8 times .Poured in the Oilmix gas , Added a tad more alcohol and some Berrymans Injector/Carb cleaner .
It aint running perfect yet but at least I can use it now.

Berryman is about the Best on the Market IMHO

colleyvillesooner
6/17/2013, 04:19 PM
We're going live. Starting the year down process

http://i.pgu.me/qMllYimJ_original.jpg

colleyvillesooner
6/17/2013, 05:07 PM
More pics

Taking everything off to clean it.

http://i.pgu.me/psqa9lBd_original.jpg

Not really sure how to access the carb.

http://i.pgu.me/8R2I60HX_original.jpg

colleyvillesooner
6/17/2013, 05:15 PM
Sprayed cleaner in here.

http://i.pgu.me/g8AV+B5e_original.jpg

Should I spray in here too? Port behind air filter. Don't see anywhere else to access it.

http://i.pgu.me/ooN8BASQ_original.jpg

colleyvillesooner
6/17/2013, 05:40 PM
okay sprayed, flushed via 12 dry starts and reconnected everything. going to get new gas and see what happens.

colleyvillesooner
6/17/2013, 06:21 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xDy_zx18R5g/UPwwTsdyRVI/AAAAAAAAGa4/elrNYEiZPLg/s1600/its-working-its-working.gif

got new gas and its running like a champ

total cost: under $15 for a spark plug, gas and carb cleaner

Thanks for all your guys help!

olevetonahill
6/17/2013, 06:25 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xDy_zx18R5g/UPwwTsdyRVI/AAAAAAAAGa4/elrNYEiZPLg/s1600/its-working-its-working.gif

got new gas and its running like a champ

total cost: under $15 for a spark plug, gas and carb cleaner

Thanks for all your guys help!

Glad its werkin Bro. My weedeater is running better an better the more I run it. I had let the Old gas go bad in the tank . Ill be buying Sta-bil this year fer sure.

colleyvillesooner
6/17/2013, 07:26 PM
So I posted too soon. Well, it's running fine but now leaks fuel. Air filter is wet at the bottom so I think it may be coming through the port behind that.

http://i.pgu.me/kbXs4gdI_original.jpg

http://i.pgu.me/veusqaXT_original.jpg

Any ideas. Will start it back up tomorrow and see if it still leaks.

olevetonahill
6/17/2013, 07:37 PM
Check those hoses for cracks and such. Are there clamps on it?

colleyvillesooner
6/17/2013, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I put them back where they went. They seem on tight and it definitely didn't leak before.

olevetonahill
6/17/2013, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I put them back where they went. They seem on tight and it definitely didn't leak before.

If its Old hose you may have to cut a 1/2 inch er so off. Can you SEE where the leak is coming from?

colleyvillesooner
6/17/2013, 08:46 PM
No not yet. Had to get the kids bathed and asleep. Want it to dry out and will start tomorrow and watch where it leaks from when turned off

Killerbees
6/23/2013, 02:44 PM
I would have put money on a vacuum leak. Still not convinced it wasn't. You can check for vacuum leaks with starting fluid, by gently (and very carefully) spraying the suspect areas right after a cold start and if you have a leak it will suck the fluid up into the intake and you will hear it fire up. Most common area for small engines like this is where the carb bolts up to the engine. You most likely got a better seal when you put the carb back on. A bad seal there gives the exact symptoms you were describing.

colleyvillesooner
6/23/2013, 07:48 PM
I actually never got the carb off. I just sprayed cleaner on the fuel intake and the air intake. Once I re tightened the fuel hose clamp at the intake, it hasn't leaked since and runs like a champ.

Planning on changing out the old fuel line and clamps when it runs out of gas, and taking off the carb bowl, cleaning it and applying new gasket. Got all those parts for under $20

pphilfran
6/24/2013, 10:22 AM
You owe me $20 for the advisory fee...

pphilfran
6/24/2013, 10:24 AM
Be gentle when working with the float...

pphilfran
6/24/2013, 10:29 AM
I would have put money on a vacuum leak. Still not convinced it wasn't. You can check for vacuum leaks with starting fluid, by gently (and very carefully) spraying the suspect areas right after a cold start and if you have a leak it will suck the fluid up into the intake and you will hear it fire up. Most common area for small engines like this is where the carb bolts up to the engine. You most likely got a better seal when you put the carb back on. A bad seal there gives the exact symptoms you were describing.
You can substitute WD 40 for the starting fluid.....less likely to fire up (though caution is needed) and it is actually benefitial for the hoses and cables that might get sprayed...

olevetonahill
6/24/2013, 10:42 AM
You owe me $20 for the advisory fee...

Well in that case, :very_drunk: