PDA

View Full Version : Merion and the red wicker basket. US Open

OULenexaman
6/14/2013, 12:01 AM
What is the history behind that funky thing? No flag on da flag stick? Perhaps Picasso knows. I can't find **** about it. Damn sure different

OULenexaman
6/14/2013, 12:44 AM
I just found it and its still a mystery according to the club web site

OULenexaman
6/14/2013, 12:49 AM
And posting on the iPhone app sucks. Just sayin. The net works better on my same device.

OULenexaman
6/14/2013, 01:02 AM
The wicker baskets' origin is a mystery to this day. There was a great deal written in 1912, and for three years thereafter, locally and nationally about this new course in Philadelphia. However, there was no mention of the soon-to-be famous wicker baskets. It could be assumed they were not there. By the summer of 1915, William Flynn, Merion's Superintendent, received patent approval for his wicker basket design. Merion had baskets that fall and from then-to-today. It could be assumed, due to lack of written proof, that Flynn convinced Wilson to use the baskets, and Merion received its "basket notoriety" the next year during the 1916 U.S. Amateur.

Petro-Sooner
6/14/2013, 01:05 AM
I was wondering the same. Figured there was some story to it. Interesting.

cleller
6/14/2013, 08:22 AM
They had the Southern Hills GM on The Sports Animal talking about the course and logistics yesterday. He basically said Merion is a nightmare. Old course crammed into small area of an old city. Nowhere to park, chaos, longs lines, smaller galleries, tougher on players.

They mentioned that even for the players it was about a 20 minute trip from the practice area to the tees. For fans, a trip from a parking area to the tees 1-1.5 hours. Compare that to Southern Hills, and Southern Hills looks like a PGA dream course.

OULenexaman
6/14/2013, 09:14 PM
Very I thought.

picasso
6/14/2013, 10:25 PM
The golf chanel had theclassic Open with Jack vs. The Merry Mex at Merion. I liked the course better then. I still like the natural bunkers and hazards. Too many pretty assed courses out there?

olevetonahill
6/14/2013, 10:58 PM
Not even a Clue. about what Yall are talking about.

8timechamps
6/15/2013, 01:36 PM
According to the Golf Channel (earlier in the week), the Wicker Baskets date back to a time when course designer (Hugh Wilson) traveled to Scotland, he saw shepherds with 'herding sticks' that were topped with wicker baskets, and thought it would be a clever addition to the course.

They also discussed a separate story that he (Hugh Wilson) visited various courses in England/Scotland (during the same period in 1912), and the baskets were used on several courses, so he got the idea to add them to Marion.

So, really, there is no definitive answer.

On a separate note, Marion is the perfect course for the Open, with the horrible rough and tough greens. I can't imagine playing that course, as I would never be in the fairway.

C&CDean
6/16/2013, 09:23 AM
I haven't had a chance to actually sit down and watch any of this year's Open, but my first thought when I saw highlights was "WTF are those big, red blobs on the sticks? They're baskets? Look like rubber hearts or something. Weird.

Oh yeah, go Phil! Like to see him win this one. Five times as a bridesmaid? Dang.

olevetonahill
6/16/2013, 09:26 AM
People REALLY watch golf? What do you do when the excitement dies down? Watch Paint dry? Grass Grow?

C&CDean
6/16/2013, 10:23 AM
Cretin.

olevetonahill
6/16/2013, 11:07 AM
Cretin.

http://www.olevetpossehideout.com/forums/images/smilies/yes.gif

Newbomb Turk
6/16/2013, 03:06 PM
People REALLY watch golf? What do you do when the excitement dies down? Watch Paint dry? Grass Grow?

http://www.soonerfans.com/images/reputation/reputation_highneg.png

olevetonahill
6/16/2013, 03:16 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/images/reputation/reputation_highneg.png

Heh , Just thinkin about watchin Golf gets me this way
http://www.andrewspenceonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/img-348630-1-im-so-excited.jpg

8timechamps
6/16/2013, 05:36 PM
The first time I saw them, I thought the course was in New York, and the baskets were supposed to represent apples (as in the Big Apple). When I learned it was not in NY, I thought "what the hell?!".

Anyway, watching golf (for me) is like watching baseball on TV...I can watch it in segments, but can't sit and watch the whole thing.

Scott D
6/16/2013, 07:51 PM
It was actually a pretty exciting final day.

8timechamps
6/16/2013, 08:13 PM
It was actually a pretty exciting final day.

I watched the last hour of coverage. That course was tough! Thought Phil had a shot, but his drive on #18 killed him.

sooneron
6/16/2013, 10:44 PM
I totally blew it. I had a chance for some tix and forgot how close it is to me. I'd love to see that course in person.
I haven't been to a major since 09 Bethpage...

hawaii 5-0
6/17/2013, 12:11 AM
Beautiful course. Wicked rough, fast sloping greens. Loved the streams and the quarry features.

Amazing the winner didn't even break par for the event.

The young Spaniard had a 10 earlier this week. Stricker had an 8 today on a par 4.

Sorry about Phil. I was rootin' fer him.

5-0

rock on sooner
6/17/2013, 07:53 AM

Actually, yes I did watch paint dry...gotta a wild hair and spray painted a plastic
chair red, white and blue, to sit in to watch parades on the 4th....:highly_amused:

olevetonahill
6/17/2013, 08:22 AM
Actually, yes I did watch paint dry...gotta a wild hair and spray painted a plastic
chair red, white and blue, to sit in to watch parades on the 4th....:highly_amused:

Heh, And Green looks good on you now.