PDA

View Full Version : Here's some Hispanic criticism I just don't get.

cleller
6/13/2013, 06:34 PM
An 11 year old kid who had been on America's Got Talent sang the national anthem at the NBA finals game in San Antonio, his home town.

Apparently, because the kid was wearing a mariachi suit, there was an "uproar" on twitter. Probably just Yahoo News trying to make news instead of reporting it, but I don't see why anyone would object to this:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/sebastien-la-cruz-brushes-off-racism-185037234.html?vp=1

The young man is extremely well spoken, polite, mature, and talented. Its not like he was wearing some teeny-bopper saggin' crap. Heck, this is San Antonio.

olevetonahill
6/13/2013, 06:38 PM
Just saw that. Hell the Kid did a Better job from what little I heard than Most of those ding bat Professional Singers.

What I read the Suit was in the Spurs Team colors .

SanJoaquinSooner
6/13/2013, 10:33 PM
I didn't know Okie52 was on twitter.

okie52
6/14/2013, 08:18 AM
I didn't know Okie52 was on twitter.

The kid sounded great juan.

Are you saying he's an illegal?

olevetonahill
6/14/2013, 08:22 AM

Well he does have "That" look.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/14/2013, 08:49 AM

My understanding is that he was born in the U.S. which automatically makes him a United States Citizen. Do you have any problem with that?

KantoSooner
6/14/2013, 08:51 AM
From what I read (second hand), the twitter posters represented the racist element of the immigration 'debate'. They're in the category of 'Fools will always be with us' and are better ignored....which this kid and his family, to their credit, are doing.

sooner_born_1960
6/14/2013, 08:57 AM
My understanding is that he was born in the U.S. which automatically makes him a United States Citizen. Do you have any problem with that?
Why would anyone have a problem with that? That's what the constitution says.

badger
6/14/2013, 09:16 AM
I went to a Spurs game once. They had mariachis dressed in black, white and silver by one of the entrances playing before the game, and they came out during the game and did a short performance during a timeout in the first half. It went something like this:

Lady singer: Spanish words... Spanish words... more Spanish words... (song ends, directly into the microphone) GO SPURS GO!

I don't remember any of the other halftime things from that game, that's how awesome the singer and the rest of the mariachis were :)

okie52
6/14/2013, 09:18 AM

Happy to hear he is a citizen and looks to have a future of being a high tax revenue generator...

SanJoaquinSooner
6/14/2013, 09:19 AM
Happy to hear he is a citizen and looks to have a future of being a high tax revenue generator...

Who knows Okie, he might grow up to be a pub.

okie52
6/14/2013, 10:16 AM
Who knows Okie, he might grow up to be a pub.

Odds are about 30%...

KABOOKIE
6/14/2013, 10:16 AM
We all know liberals create fake accounts and blast twitter, Facebook and all the comments section of news articles with outlandish racist behavior just to keep up the perception that this country is terrible. Haters.

badger
6/14/2013, 10:48 AM
There's some of that (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2317995/UW-student-activist-Meg-Lanker-Simons-Facebook-rape-threat-hoax-frame-conservatives.html), but I don't think it's that common. The few instances make worldwide headlines, though

KantoSooner
6/14/2013, 11:02 AM
Kabookie, it's so hard to believe that people hold these opinions? **** Fahr, boy, I hear such conversation in most of the bars I frequent. What's harder to believe is that the people holding and expressing those opinions can actually type and navigate their way around a computer.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/14/2013, 11:40 AM
We all know liberals create fake accounts and blast twitter, Facebook and all the comments section of news articles with outlandish racist behavior just to keep up the perception that this country is terrible. Haters.
That is my theory about okie52 - he is a liberal creation to help turn people off to the GOP.

okie52
6/14/2013, 11:47 AM
That is my theory about okie52 - he is a liberal creation to help turn people off to the GOP.

Gee, juan, I hope I haven't offended you or your family. You've already said you are against illegal immigration so we must be on the same page....Hallelujah!!!!

KABOOKIE
6/14/2013, 03:26 PM
Kabookie, it's so hard to believe that people hold these opinions? **** Fahr, boy, I hear such conversation in most of the bars I frequent. What's harder to believe is that the people holding and expressing those opinions can actually type and navigate their way around a computer.

That's not what I'm saying. However, your last sentence seems to support my theory.

KantoSooner
6/14/2013, 03:57 PM
Kabookie,
Now for an interesting thought (to me, at least). If people exist who hold these stupid thoughts but don't post them, and if there are people who are posting the thoughts but don't believe them themselves, and if all the people involved are anonymous, then are we out of place to criticize the thoughts?

Clearly the lying posters are guilty of more than simply bad thoughts, but the thoughts themselves are actually held, somewhere.

I'm getting a serioius Leibniz vibe. At least I think it was Leibniz. Maybe it was someone else. But if we don't remember, does it really matter?

Damn monads.